State health authorities battling surge of COVID-like illness

Queensland health authorities are grappling with a surge in cases of a different respiratory illness that resembles COVID-19.

Mycoplasma pneumonia, a bacterial infection that affects the lungs, has seen a significant spike in cases, causing concern among health officials and parents alike.

Astrid Carpentier, a Brisbane mother, experienced this first-hand when her three-year-old daughter, Jorja, fell ill.

Initially presenting with a fever and cough on January 20, Jorja's symptoms seemed to improve with over-the-counter medication.

However, on January 29, her persistent cough worsened, and she ‘was starting to get out of breath’.

ill-girl-being-examined-by-doctor.jpg
Mycoplasma pneumonia cases have risen in Queensland. Credit: Freepik

‘Her cough started to get really bad,’ Carpentier said.

‘There’s something going on, or she’s caught another virus.’

The doctor prescribed Jorja antibiotics but was told to take her to the hospital if she didn’t improve.

Carpentier's experience is not an isolated one. Queensland Children’s Hospital (QCH) emergency department has seen an influx of children presenting with similar symptoms.

‘It was full of kids with a cough—the same cough that she had,’ Carpentier said.

Jorja was discovered to have low oxygen levels, and an X-ray showed patches on her lungs, Carpentier explained. This led to a diagnosis of a ‘severe case’ of mycoplasma pneumonia.

She has been released from the hospital and is now recovering.

Jorja’s case isn’t an isolated one.

Queensland Health reported 256 cases of mycoplasma pneumonia last year. Alarmingly, the state has already recorded 229 cases this year, indicating a significant increase in the incidence of this illness.

This surge began late last year when the health department warned of an ‘unexpected increase in respiratory infections across Queensland, including mycoplasma’ on December 21.

Dr Maria Boulton, a GP and President of the Australian Medical Association Queensland, explained that mycoplasma bacteria can cause other respiratory tract infections, such as bronchiolitis.

‘Of course, whenever you mention pneumonia, it can be quite serious,’ she said.

‘There are certain individuals at risk of more severe disease. They are kids under the age of five, people over the age of 55, people with chronic conditions such as lung conditions, but also people who are immunosuppressed.’

The rise coincided with increased COVID-19 and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) cases, making it difficult to diagnose.

'It’s quite a challenge to tell from just looking at a patient what they actually have,' Dr Boulton said.

'They present quite similarly. Mycoplasma may be very similar to COVID or other viruses such as RSV.'

Mycoplasma pneumonia is a type of pneumonia caused by the bacteria Mycoplasma pneumoniae.

It typically causes mild, 'walking' pneumonia and is most common in older children and young adults.

However, severe cases can occur, particularly in those with weakened immune systems or underlying health conditions.

Queensland's spike in mycoplasma pneumonia cases is not an isolated incident.

Similar trends have been observed in China and parts of Europe, suggesting a global increase in this bacterial infection.

Boulton said if parents see their children having problems breathing, keeping down fluids, or being ‘floppy’, they should seek medical assistance.

‘It is contagious, it’s quite easily spread. That’s why we ask people if they’re sick, they stay home,’ she said.

You can watch the news coverage below:

Credit: 7NEWS Australia / Youtube

There’s also another disease we need to look out for—measles.

One city went on high alert after new cases of measles were identified, and nine potential exposure sites were named. Read more about this health concern here.
Key Takeaways
  • Queensland health authorities have reported a spike in cases of mycoplasma pneumonia, an illness causing concern due to its similarity to other respiratory infections.
  • Astrid Carpentier's daughter, Jorja, was hospitalised with a severe case of mycoplasma pneumonia, experiencing symptoms such as a persistent cough and low oxygen levels.
  • There have already been 229 cases of mycoplasma pneumonia in Queensland this year, a significant increase from the total of 256 cases in the previous year.
  • GPS and health officials, like Maria Boulton, President of the Australian Medical Association Queensland, emphasise the contagious nature of mycoplasma and the importance of seeking medical assistance for children showing severe symptoms, such as difficulty breathing or keeping down fluids.
Have you or someone you know been affected by the mycoplasma pneumonia? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
They aren't hiding anything. If you check out the Government Dept of Health, they have a claim scheme for people who have had an adverse reaction to the vaccine. They have a claims form on the website.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
They aren't hiding anything. If you check out the Government Dept of Health, they have a claim scheme for people who have had an adverse reaction to the vaccine. They have a claims form on the website.
You believe what makes you feel safe. I believe in the truth.

I never said "mycoplasma pneumonia" was the Flu or did I say they are locking people down for it. I suggested they locked us down for the flu which is what COVID is, whereas I believe there were worse strains. You read but do not comprehend.
Covid is a type of Coronavirus, NOT Influenza. They are different.

Ok Doc how are they different. For one thing the actual virus has NEVER been isolated.
I think you are the one acting Like a doctor.

I'm guessing you are one of those people who when sick still go out and cough and splatter everywhere believing your germs are not contagious.

Whoever you are listen to what people are saying ,better yet speak to your doctor.

The money paid during covid came from the government's purse which yes is taxpayers money .
But seriously wake up and stop acting like a Moron, covud damaged our economy which the government definitely didn't want to happen.

Look at the whole picture not just what your tiny brain is seeing

It was a pandemic of the Pharmaceutical companies and people who could profit. Why were there bugger all cases of the flu recorded. Don't believe me then Then read this link. https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinical/flu-return-inevitable-in-2022
Oh dear! An article 2 years old from a dubious website who REPORTS on medical issues. For an organisation that supposedly represents Australia's general practitioners, it sure does a piss poor job.

Jolyon Attwooll WAS a journalist for newsGP, the "author" of the quoted article. Such a well researched article that Mr Attwooll doesn't, whether on purpose or because of journalisitic dopiness, quote ANY medical journals of repute such as Lancet or The New England Journal of Medicine to support his claims. A former TRAVEL writer for the UK Telegraph, a great grounding for someone who reports on medical matters.

Research is your friend.

Last edited:
Oh dear! An article 2 years old from a dubious website who REPORTS on medical issues. For an organisation that supposedly represents Australia's general practitioners, it sure does a piss poor job.

Jolyon Attwooll WAS a journalist for newsGP, the "author" of the quoted article. Such a well researched article that Mr Attwooll doesn't, whether on purpose or because of journalisitic dopiness, quote ANY medical journals of repute such as Lancet or The New England Journal of Medicine to support his claims. A former TRAVEL writer for the UK Telegraph, a great grounding for someone who reports on medical matters.

Research is your friend.
Totally agree, research don't just believe what you read.

My dear husband is a Perfect example .

He is always on Facebook and he watched an ad and that's what it was. This guy in a white coat was saying how Metformin is bad for Diabetics, how it was once recalled by the TGA , he went on to say how a particular vitamin was all you need to replace the Metformin.

So he purchased them, stop the Metformin and one month later his blood levels went through the roof. He stopped tge Vitamin, went back on Metformin and levels went pretty much back to normal.

Then on Friday he showed me another ad saying the same things about Metformin. This time they were selling gummie Vitamin.
They showed it was TGA approved and backed up by a Professor from BSW university.

So I called the TGA and after along wait spoke to someone who looked it up and I was told it was a scam and they were already looking into it. Apparently anyone can sell Vitamins but because of the TGA symbol on the website they are looking into it.

Professor Catherine is up on YouTube promoting the best diabetic medication is Metformin.

Yes it was recalled a few years ago by TGA but after a twig it went through.

Hubby again asked how can they use this Professors photo and TGA symbol, I just gave him a look that asked 'Are you that silly '

Until next time when he shows me something else

Reactions: Veggiepatch