State health authorities battling surge of COVID-like illness

Queensland health authorities are grappling with a surge in cases of a different respiratory illness that resembles COVID-19.

Mycoplasma pneumonia, a bacterial infection that affects the lungs, has seen a significant spike in cases, causing concern among health officials and parents alike.

Astrid Carpentier, a Brisbane mother, experienced this first-hand when her three-year-old daughter, Jorja, fell ill.

Initially presenting with a fever and cough on January 20, Jorja's symptoms seemed to improve with over-the-counter medication.

However, on January 29, her persistent cough worsened, and she ‘was starting to get out of breath’.

ill-girl-being-examined-by-doctor.jpg
Mycoplasma pneumonia cases have risen in Queensland. Credit: Freepik

‘Her cough started to get really bad,’ Carpentier said.

‘There’s something going on, or she’s caught another virus.’

The doctor prescribed Jorja antibiotics but was told to take her to the hospital if she didn’t improve.

Carpentier's experience is not an isolated one. Queensland Children’s Hospital (QCH) emergency department has seen an influx of children presenting with similar symptoms.

‘It was full of kids with a cough—the same cough that she had,’ Carpentier said.

Jorja was discovered to have low oxygen levels, and an X-ray showed patches on her lungs, Carpentier explained. This led to a diagnosis of a ‘severe case’ of mycoplasma pneumonia.

She has been released from the hospital and is now recovering.

Jorja’s case isn’t an isolated one.

Queensland Health reported 256 cases of mycoplasma pneumonia last year. Alarmingly, the state has already recorded 229 cases this year, indicating a significant increase in the incidence of this illness.

This surge began late last year when the health department warned of an ‘unexpected increase in respiratory infections across Queensland, including mycoplasma’ on December 21.

Dr Maria Boulton, a GP and President of the Australian Medical Association Queensland, explained that mycoplasma bacteria can cause other respiratory tract infections, such as bronchiolitis.

‘Of course, whenever you mention pneumonia, it can be quite serious,’ she said.

‘There are certain individuals at risk of more severe disease. They are kids under the age of five, people over the age of 55, people with chronic conditions such as lung conditions, but also people who are immunosuppressed.’

The rise coincided with increased COVID-19 and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) cases, making it difficult to diagnose.

'It’s quite a challenge to tell from just looking at a patient what they actually have,' Dr Boulton said.

'They present quite similarly. Mycoplasma may be very similar to COVID or other viruses such as RSV.'

Mycoplasma pneumonia is a type of pneumonia caused by the bacteria Mycoplasma pneumoniae.

It typically causes mild, 'walking' pneumonia and is most common in older children and young adults.

However, severe cases can occur, particularly in those with weakened immune systems or underlying health conditions.

Queensland's spike in mycoplasma pneumonia cases is not an isolated incident.

Similar trends have been observed in China and parts of Europe, suggesting a global increase in this bacterial infection.

Boulton said if parents see their children having problems breathing, keeping down fluids, or being ‘floppy’, they should seek medical assistance.

‘It is contagious, it’s quite easily spread. That’s why we ask people if they’re sick, they stay home,’ she said.

You can watch the news coverage below:

Credit: 7NEWS Australia / Youtube

There’s also another disease we need to look out for—measles.

One city went on high alert after new cases of measles were identified, and nine potential exposure sites were named. Read more about this health concern here.
Key Takeaways
  • Queensland health authorities have reported a spike in cases of mycoplasma pneumonia, an illness causing concern due to its similarity to other respiratory infections.
  • Astrid Carpentier's daughter, Jorja, was hospitalised with a severe case of mycoplasma pneumonia, experiencing symptoms such as a persistent cough and low oxygen levels.
  • There have already been 229 cases of mycoplasma pneumonia in Queensland this year, a significant increase from the total of 256 cases in the previous year.
  • GPS and health officials, like Maria Boulton, President of the Australian Medical Association Queensland, emphasise the contagious nature of mycoplasma and the importance of seeking medical assistance for children showing severe symptoms, such as difficulty breathing or keeping down fluids.
Have you or someone you know been affected by the mycoplasma pneumonia? Let us know in the comments below.

Sponsored
It never ceases to amaze my that all respiratory infections now have "covid like" symptoms.
Pre covid there were chest infections just known as chest infections. These day they
now have a name, e.g. mycoplasma pneumonia.
How about going back to calling it the flu?

It never ceases to amaze my that all respiratory infections now have "covid like" symptoms.
Pre covid there were chest infections just known as chest infections. These day they
yes we should go back to just calling it cancer too instead of all these new fangled fancy names like bowel cancer & prostate cancer & ovarian cancer. anyone would think there are different treatments for these conditions. everyone knows a chest infection just requires a bex and a good lie down.

yes we should go back to just calling it cancer too instead of all these new fangled fancy names like bowel cancer & prostate cancer & ovarian cancer. anyone would think there are different treatments for these conditions. everyone knows a chest infection just requires a bex and a good lie down.
A little bit sarcastic there, revilloc. Didn't know they still sold box you ass!

With the increase of aerial spraying and cloud seeding, especially in QLD , check your plants for a silver foliage , there will be a increase in respritory damage!
don’t believe me, look up at the chemtrails from the planes,

My daughter is a nurse and how she explained it was , different viruses attack you differently and viruses need different antibiotics and some require just rest.

My daughter just read all these comments and shook her head . You can't compare pneumonia with the flu.

My youngest daughter spent 5 days in ICU because of mycoplasma pneumonia and at one stage they didn't think she would make it and she was 17, she is 19 now and her lungs are stuffed

NO these new viruses are worst than the flu
To that I can only reply B.S. Some Flu strains were worse than others, SARS was a bad one. But they never locked people down or demanded they get vaccinated. It's only because of media hype that they make them seem worse than they really are. Sure people died but we were we were always experiencing deaths with the frail and elderly. Crikey a bout of Gastro can go through a nursing home and kill a few. Don't believe everything the mainstream media pushes down your throat.

Reactions: Em.
To that I can only reply B.S. Some Flu strains were worse than others, SARS was a bad one. But they never locked people down or demanded they get vaccinated. It's only because of media hype that they make them seem worse than they really are. Sure people died but we were we were always experiencing deaths with the frail and elderly. Crikey a bout of Gastro can go through a nursing home and kill a few. Don't believe everything the mainstream media pushes down your throat.
mycoplasma pneumonia is not just the flu? Are you a doctor ????

They are not locking people down for mycoplasma pneumonia or any other flu

mycoplasma pneumonia is not just the flu? Are you a doctor ????

They are not locking people down for mycoplasma pneumonia or any other flu
I never said "mycoplasma pneumonia" was the Flu or did I say they are locking people down for it. I suggested they locked us down for the flu which is what COVID is, whereas I believe there were worse strains. You read but do not comprehend.

I never said "mycoplasma pneumonia" was the Flu or did I say they are locking people down for it. I suggested they locked us down for the flu which is what COVID is, whereas I believe there were worse strains. You read but do not comprehend.
You replied to my message which I was stating mycoplasma pneumonia.

As for covid it is worst than the flu. Many people who were once healthy and caught covid are now battling long covid including lung damage.

Flu's are not all the same, being some cause serious illness whereas others put you out of action for a couple of days

Maybe you read and don't comprehend 🤔

You replied to my message which I was stating mycoplasma pneumonia.

As for covid it is worst than the flu. Many people who were once healthy and caught covid are now battling long covid including lung damage.

Flu's are not all the same, being some cause serious illness whereas others put you out of action for a couple of days

Maybe you read and don't comprehend 🤔

Those that are facing problems today are due to either mistreatment by Medical people or the vaccine. Again you say Not all flus are the same as though I stated that, but which I did the exact opposite.

• Wow
Reactions: Veggiepatch
I never said "mycoplasma pneumonia" was the Flu or did I say they are locking people down for it. I suggested they locked us down for the flu which is what COVID is, whereas I believe there were worse strains. You read but do not comprehend.of
Look at the numbers for COVID it was a pandemic that's why there was lockdown

Ah so you are one of those who believe in everything you read .

Do you really think tge government wanted us in lockdown? Costing billions to the economy.
Do you think the government wanted to payout all the payments for jobkeeper ect , again costing billions.

Reactions: Ezzy
Ah so you are one of those who believe in everything you read .

Do you really think tge government wanted us in lockdown? Costing billions to the economy.
Do you think the government wanted to payout all the payments for jobkeeper ect , again costing billions.
Where do you come up with this garbage. The Government did not pay for a thing, the TAXPAYERS did, and they did what they did to engage all the sheep so you would run and get a vaccine. Bring yourself up to date, why are they having an enquiry into the COVID response and why for the third time has the Senate has voted against investigating excess deaths, after rejecting two previous motions last year. Because it will show that their mandate of the vaccine and lockdown contributed to these deaths.

What are they hiding?