Startling message left on vehicle—a strict parking rule enforced by affluent community!

Parking in public spaces is a common right; however, it seems that in some of Australia's more affluent suburbs, the lines between public and private are becoming blurred.

A recent incident has sparked a fiery debate over parking etiquette and the sense of entitlement some residents feel towards the streets outside their homes.

A local woman, who claimed she had parked her car legally on Mount Street in the upscale suburb of Coogee in Sydney, for two days, was surprised to find a rather unwelcoming note on her windscreen upon her return.

The message was clear: 'Please move your car. This is not a parking lot. You do not live in this street!'

Screenshot 2024-03-20 122343.jpg
A Coogee local expressed her confusion on social media over a note that was left on her car. Credits: Facebook

The bewildered resident took to social media to express her confusion, saying, ‘For the person who wrote these lovely messages, I do live in Coogee?’

'I cannot believe this is still happening in 2024,' she lamented.

The street in question has no parking restrictions or time limits, which many online commentators were quick to point out.

The incident has led to a broader discussion about the expectations of homeowners in such neighbourhoods and the rights of those who park there.

‘What is it with crazy people who think you can't park on a public street? I get this where I work. People have driveways big enough for two or three cars, but God help you if you park out the front of their place,’ one shared.

‘What street is it? I might park there and leave my parking space empty,’ another suggested.

However, not everyone was on the side of the car owner.

Some sympathised with the note writer, arguing that the car owner is the one displaying a sense of entitlement.

‘I'd leave notes like this,’ one said.

‘Why should entitled temporary outsiders feel the need to park outside my house for hours at a time?’

‘The area has a huge problem with dumped cars, we have one at the front of ours, [the] council will now need to sort [it] out. You could have left a note explaining why it's been left there, and when you will move it,’ another responded.

This isn't an isolated incident, as evidenced by other social media users sharing their own experiences with angry notes in Coogee and surrounding suburbs.

‘I copped this note and a slashed tyre in Randwick,’ one asserted, accompanied by a photograph of a note stating, ‘You don’t live here! You don’t park here! Simple!’

Additional photographs of notes left on vehicles were circulated, with one stating 'Do not park here, you c***,' and another saying, ‘You are beginning to take liberties, you don’t live here. Park elsewhere.’

The problem extends beyond Sydney's eastern suburbs, with similar stories emerging from other parts of the country.

In Queensland, a woman feared receiving a parking fine after a note warned her titled, ‘Neighbourhood watch’.

‘Please be mindful that you have parked in a four-hour only zone. The area is regularly policed due to airport security, and you are likely to receive an infringement notice. Details have been recorded of your vehicle,’ the note said.

As frustrations mount, similar sentiments have surfaced in other areas, highlighting a broader issue of contention over parking rights and etiquette.

This sentiment resonates with recent complaints regarding parking practices at Coles, where shoppers express frustration over perceived loopholes and entitled behaviour.
Key Takeaways

• An individual received an angry note demanding she move her car which was parked on a street in Coogee, Sydney, despite claiming it was parked legally.
  • The note suggested that only residents of the street should park there, causing debate among local community members about parking etiquette.
  • Some locals defended the note's sentiment, echoing frustrations over parking space use by 'temporary outsiders', while others ridiculed the notion of exclusive street parking rights.
  • The issue of parking etiquette and entitlement is widespread, with similar incidents occurring in various Australian suburbs, leading to a discussion on the matter among residents.
What are your thoughts on this matter? Have you ever encountered a situation where you were made to feel unwelcome for parking in a public space? Or do you sympathise with residents who prefer not to have unfamiliar cars parked outside their homes for extended periods?

We invite you to share your stories and perspectives in the comments below.

Last edited:
Sponsored
I can see both sides of the argument. I had someone park outside my home once for three days. Do they not have a home of their own where they can park?? I can understand a person parking for a few hours, etc. maybe to go shopping, to an appointment etc, but I see no reason to park outside someone else's home for days on end. When your own friends or family come to visit they have to go looking for a parking spot
My friend rang me, commenting she had driven past a couple of times was going to drop in, but seeing the car she thought I already had visitors and therefore didn't come in.

I see both sides , in my street at times it can be hard to find parking.

There is nothing wrong with someone parking wherever they want for a few hours

But what gets me is a neighbours son who lives 5 houses down but across the street constantly parks in the front of my house for days at a time, when it is completly empty in front if theirs.
Then I have a new neighbour ( been there 6 minths) 2 doors down who's friend goes away often for 6 weeks at a time and will park out the front of my house . There is enough room for two cars yet they will park right in the middle and no one else can park.

I think there is a thing called etiquette

Local Council Authorities approve housing developments and there appears to be not enough area to squeeze enough parking spaces onsite, so therefore the cars park on streets. However, I've noticed it's often inconsiderate how some people park in front of people's places.

Reactions: maherdj and Jennie
What a load of rubbish. How do they get to know where you live? Just because someone lives in a street they do not own the road. They are the transgressors if the touched my car to leave a note and actually criminals if they slash a tyre. How do they park when outside their suburb. Selfish and entitled

Is it illegal to park in front of someone's house NSW?

Provided your street isn't governed by residents' parking permits, any member of the public can park there – as long as they are complying with restrictions and not causing obstructions (meaning Driveways). If a car is parked on a public road and it's blocking your driveway, local authorities certainly have the power to issue a fine. 20 Feb 2022

There is a man on our street who thinks he owns the public road space outside his home. He has even asked our son (who was living with us at the time) to move his car. Imagine our glee when he’s had builders park heavy vehicles and utes outside on ‘his’ road. You just can’t tell a tradie where to park if he’s legally parked 😂

You do not own the street, you do not even own the footpath outside your fence. The street is public property, if parking is available, anyone can park there at any time. Look up your Council rules and get a life. How petty can you get?
Funny though you have to keep the nature strip mowed or you will get a letter from the council as my neighbour did.

There still is a thing called parking etiquette

Reactions: Angela Cockburn
Everybody knows we don't own the road. The thing is people don't appreciate someone parking in the front of their place all the time, usually because their visitors can't park there. Anyway, people park at their own risk, while they get stone chips from home owners mowing the foot path.

I live near a train station so commuter park outside my house, to avoid paying parking at the station, it means if I have visitors there is nowhere for them to park as my garage is is a lane way at the rear of the house so we have no driveway at the front.

I think Australians are horrible selfish people...........they remind me of certain Pomgolians I used to know back "home". On balance, that seems to be the problem with Homo sapiens. We live on a really nice piece of real estate in the Solar System and spend most of our lives trying to mess it up for our neighbours, even down to getting disgustingly possessive about public parking places on public roads.

I lived on a quiet suburban street in Brisbane which had very little space between driveways sometimes not enough for a car to park between them - we had a tenant in another area of the house who regularly got shouted at by our neighbours on one side for parking in ‘their spot’ one morning I parked my car there for 10 minutes while we moved the other car out of the garage and I came back to find a cup of coffee thrown all over the windscreen and the bonnet
Yes rude and illegal!!

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: maherdj and DLHM
What is wrong with people. Sometimes, trying to find parking if going to an appointment, if you are visiting someone, or like me who volunteers at the Hospital. I have to park in a suburban street, Staff, and so do many people who have appointments. As long as one is not blocking a driveway. what is the problem.

Reactions: maherdj and NotNats
I lived on a quiet suburban street in Brisbane which had very little space between driveways sometimes not enough for a car to park between them - we had a tenant in another area of the house who regularly got shouted at by our neighbours on one side for parking in ‘their spot’ one morning I parked my car there for 10 minutes while we moved the other car out of the garage and I came back to find a cup of coffee thrown all over the windscreen and the bonnet
Yes rude and illegal!!
"Brake fluid" is good comeback, only don't get caught as you'll go through a row of shit cans.

Local Council Authorities approve housing developments and there appears to be not enough area to squeeze enough parking spaces onsite, so therefore the cars park on streets. However, I've noticed it's often inconsiderate how some people park in front of people's places.