Start the New Year right with these must-know financial changes that will impact your budget

As we welcome the New Year, it's important to be aware of the financial changes that could impact your wallet.

On January 1, 2024, several price increases began to take effect, impacting everything from preschool fees to Medicare.

However, it's not all doom and gloom, as some support payments will also increase, and new rebates will take effect.

Here's a comprehensive rundown of what to expect.

Centrelink Payments

In line with inflation, some support payments will see a 6 per cent increase from January 1.

This means a little extra cash for those who need it most.

Youth Allowance and Austudy will increase by $45.60 a fortnight, ABSTUDY by $86 a fortnight with supplementary payment increases, disability support pension for under 21s by $44.90 a fortnight and Carers Allowance by $8.70.

SDC 2.png
Some financial changes took effect on January 1. Image source: Drazen Zigic on Freepik.

Medicare

Medicare safety net thresholds will also increase, meaning the amount people have to spend on out-of-hospital medical expenses before qualifying for a higher rebate has increased—this is in line with indexation based on inflation.

The Original Medicare Safety Net will increase to $560.40 for both concessional and non-concessional individuals and families.

Once you reach this threshold in a calendar year, you get 100 per cent reimbursed for out-of-hospital medical services listed on the Medicare Benefits Schedule.

The Extended Medicare Safety Net will increase to $811.80 for concessional individuals and families and $2544.30 for non-concessional.

Once the threshold for out-of-pocket costs is met, Medicare will pay 80 per cent of future costs. This essentially benefits households with significant medical bills.

Health Insurance Extras

If you have health insurance extras, they'll reset from January 1.

So all unclaimed extras for healthcare visits, including the dentist or different therapists, will be reset—leaving thousands of dollars of available claims unused.

Changes to University Requirements

In a move to support struggling students, universities will replace the 50 per cent pass rule with a 'support for students policy'.

This means students who were previously at risk of losing their Commonwealth help due to failing half their units will now receive more support.

State-Specific Changes

In New South Wales, motorists who spend more than $60 a week on tolls will get the remainder back—up to $340 a week.

However, the state's stamp duty exemption on zero and low-emission vehicles will end, as will the $3000 rebate on full battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

School-aged families receiving Family Tax Benefit A or B will receive 2 x $50 vouchers for the year.

In Victoria, new homes will have to connect to electric networks as gas is banned in all new builds.

A temporary land tax surcharge will be introduced for the next 10 years, with varying rates depending on the value of the land.

Landholding valued between $50,000 and $100,000 will receive a $500 surcharge, while those valued between $100,000 and $300,000 will receive a $975 surcharge.

Lands valued over $300,000 will receive a $975 surcharge plus 0.1 per cent of the taxable value.

Family homes remain exempt from land tax.

Queensland will offer free preschool for all kids attending a government-approved program. They can attend for free 15 hours a week for 40 weeks a year.

FairPlay vouchers will also be available for Queensland families who can score $150 for sports and active recreation programs.

In South Australia, the $3000 electric vehicle rebate is ending. However, people who have already bought a car but haven't had it delivered yet are still eligible.

In the Australian Capital Territory, preschool for three-year-olds will be free at select providers for 300 hours a year.

While in the Northern Territory, families will be eligible for the $100 learn-to-swim voucher. The government will provide two lots per year for kids under 5.
Key Takeaways
  • From January 1, 2024, various costs are going up, but there are also increases in support payments and rebates for Australian households.
  • Centrelink payments will see an uplift based on inflation, with increases to Youth Allowance, Austudy, ABSTUDY, disability support pension for under 21s, and Carers Allowance.
  • Medicare safety net thresholds will increase, meaning higher out-of-pocket expenses are required before a higher rebate is given, but once reached, better support is provided.
  • Several state-level changes will take place, including toll relief in NSW, a ban on gas in new builds in Victoria, free preschool in Queensland and the ACT, and the end to an electric vehicle rebate in South Australia.
Members, what are your thoughts on these changes? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
And, of course, non Indigenous pupils don't have any of these costs????
Austudy- over 25 - somewhat independent and probably working prior.
Abstudy 18-21 $455.20 f/n + living away
22 y/o $749.20 f/n (Statistically, less chance of being afforded casual work and more disadvantaged)
How is giving (and encouraging) an opportunity for education/trade a bad thing?

Reactions: paulamc52
It's certainly not a bad thing, anything that gets our youth into employment is a good thing
Problem is, I think, is it comes across as discriminatory, as there are many, many non Indigenous disadvantaged youth as well.
Statistically - much less and have had more opportunities not to be.

Reactions: paulamc52
Looks as though ours stay the same. I'm not sure about other states, but I have lived in SA, and we receive much better concessions here in WA.
I don't know about now, but when I lived there they only got the cost of living allowance, the one we get through Seniors. They had no concessions on rates, water, etc.
Also if you live in the country in WA you get a $575 a year fuel, which can also be used for cabs if you don't drive. I think we do pretty well here in good old WA.
YOU CAN THANK THE NATIONALS FOR THE FUEL REBATE.

Prior to qualifying for Austudy - is Youth Allowance - $639 p/f 18-24
Abstudy - 18-21 y/o $455.20 ????
I would also suggest there would have to be a clear predisposition to find discrimination in this case, given the irrefutable historical (and ongoing it seems) discrimination.

Nope they included us with the increase in the number of scripts needing to be filled before we get our freebies. At least I think that’s what it says. We apparently don’t need any monetary rises because we are living the high life, evidently?!
I had a couple of scripts done Wednesday and the cost has almost doubled , WHY?

I would also suggest there would have to be a clear predisposition to find discrimination in this case, given the irrefutable historical (and ongoing it seems) discrimination.
I live in a small town with a large population of indigenous people. many of whom are my friends.
We also rent our property to a young indigenous lad and his partner, even though most people will leave their homes empty rather than rent to them.
I know discrimination is rife, but I can assure you it works both ways .

I live in a small town with a large population of indigenous people. many of whom are my friends.
We also rent our property to a young indigenous lad and his partner, even though most people will leave their homes empty rather than rent to them.
I know discrimination is rife, but I can assure you it works both ways .
Once again - cause and effect - that is why it is so evil and nothing good comes from it - certainly not world peace.

I am not sure why there is a difference in the fortnightly rate between Austudy and ABSTUDY when they are both for students studying
I wonder the same - its not right. It should be a disadvantage thing not a colour thing