Starbucks barista's ‘kind’ act to aid a young woman stirs controversy online

An act of kindness by a Starbucks employee has sparked an intense debate online.

As shared on social media last year by mum Brandy Selim Roberson, her 18-year-old was studying alone in a Starbucks when a man she did not know began chatting with her, making her uncomfortable.

Seeing this, a thoughtful barista discreetly handed the young woman a hot chocolate cup that had more than just the drink.

On it, a secret note that read: 'Are you okay? Do you want us to intervene?'

'If you do, take the lid off the cup.'

SDC 5.jpeg
A barista at Starbucks wrote a note to an 18-year-old who seemed to be in danger. Image source: X/@CallToActivism.

Ms Roberson wrote in the caption of her post: 'My 18-year-old daughter was at Starbucks, alone, the other night. A man came up to her and started talking to her. A barista handed her “an extra hot chocolate someone forgot to pick up”.'

'How grateful I am for people who look out for other people! Side note: She felt safe and did not remove the lid, but let them know. She said the whole team was watching over her the rest of the time she was there. Thank you to Starbucks for having a great team.'

Thankfully, she felt safe and let the staff know, who watched over her for the remainder of her stay.

Furthermore, according to Ms Roberson, 'The man was very loud and animated … She looked up and just saw a row of baristas staring at her—ready to step in.'

'This reaffirms my faith in humanity. Maybe just seeing this story, others … if given the opportunity to say something or turn away, they would say something,' she added.

You can see the full post below:

Source: X/@CalltoActivism.

This story, which occurred in Corpus Christi, Texas, in the US, became popular again on social media. This time, it divided the opinions of users.

Some agreed that vigilance around others' well-being is important.

As one father commented, 'As a father of a daughter, I’m glad people are still looking out.'

While another added: 'This gave me goosebumps. As a parent, this story shook me to the core, but also gave me hope that there’s still some humanity out there.'

But others argued the staff overreacted and spoke about the current state of male-female relations.

'And some people wonder why so many young men have never approached a woman,' singer Phil Labonte commented.

Another commenter sprang at the chance to bemoan their perceived difficulties of modern manhood.

'Can’t approach women in a coffee shop (creepy). Can’t approach women at work (unprofessional). Can’t approach women at the gym (distracting, creepy). Can’t approach women at church (no singles). Can’t approach women in public (with friends). What are men supposed to do?' they wrote.

Recent research found nearly half of young men under 25 had never approached a woman in person, mostly due to fear of rejection or consequences. Some attributed this to a perceived societal intolerance of interactions between strangers.

Conservative author Rachel Wilson added: 'Feminism has created mass hysteria that men are nothing but violent assault machines and that the only thing stopping them from enslaving the entire female sex is feminist activism and laws. It’s insanity, and it must stop. Women’s studies departments should be shut down.'

However, some pointed out that the negative reaction from ‘angry men' just further proved the point.

'Men in the [replies] giving us great examples of why the employees stepped in,' one said.

'Y’all are not entitled to speak to women simply because you think you can or perceive yourself as no harm,' another stressed.
Key Takeaways
  • A Starbucks barista's note to a young female customer, offering to intervene when a man began talking to her, has caused significant online debate.
  • The mother of the young woman shared the story on social media, praising the Starbucks team for their attentiveness and care.
  • The post has since been shared millions of times online, generating mixed responses, with some praising the Starbucks team, while others criticise the state of male-female interaction.
  • Data from DatePsychology suggests fear of rejection and social consequences are causing fewer young men to approach females in person.
Members, what are your thoughts on the baristas' actions? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Those that are crying out in disgust would be the first to criticise duty of care errors if a wife, mother, sister, aunt or whatever, are approached, stalked and attacked.
Can't please everyone.
All I know is that if I had a teenage daughter and she was looked after like this, I would be forever grateful.
Yes, men do find it hard to walk up to someone and strike up a conversation, but on the other hand, young women have to be wary if they are on their own.
Unfortunately, in this day and age, there is a lot to be aware of. People who are ingesting or injecting foreign substances can be unpredictable. So, we (man or woman) have to have our wits about us.
It's not like the barista knee capped the man. They just watched over the girl. Simple formula for caring about other humans.

The fact that it was many, not just one, employee who were concerned makes me think this particular male was inappropriate. It appears that he was loud, and somewhat harassing. Thank you to people who look out for others. When I was coming home from school in the sixties I had reason to run in to houses about three times as I was uncomfortable. Each time a kind soul would walk me home. Its good to know there are good people around

An act of kindness by a Starbucks employee has sparked an intense debate online.

As shared on social media last year by mum Brandy Selim Roberson, her 18-year-old was studying alone in a Starbucks when a man she did not know began chatting with her, making her uncomfortable.

Seeing this, a thoughtful barista discreetly handed the young woman a hot chocolate cup that had more than just the drink.

On it, a secret note that read: 'Are you okay? Do you want us to intervene?'

'If you do, take the lid off the cup.'

View attachment 32745
A barista at Starbucks wrote a note to an 18-year-old who seemed to be in danger. Image source: X/@CallToActivism.

Ms Roberson wrote in the caption of her post: 'My 18-year-old daughter was at Starbucks, alone, the other night. A man came up to her and started talking to her. A barista handed her “an extra hot chocolate someone forgot to pick up”.'

'How grateful I am for people who look out for other people! Side note: She felt safe and did not remove the lid, but let them know. She said the whole team was watching over her the rest of the time she was there. Thank you to Starbucks for having a great team.'

Thankfully, she felt safe and let the staff know, who watched over her for the remainder of her stay.

Furthermore, according to Ms Roberson, 'The man was very loud and animated … She looked up and just saw a row of baristas staring at her—ready to step in.'

'This reaffirms my faith in humanity. Maybe just seeing this story, others … if given the opportunity to say something or turn away, they would say something,' she added.

You can see the full post below:

Source: X/@CalltoActivism.

This story, which occurred in Corpus Christi, Texas, in the US, became popular again on social media. This time, it divided the opinions of users.

Some agreed that vigilance around others' well-being is important.

As one father commented, 'As a father of a daughter, I’m glad people are still looking out.'

While another added: 'This gave me goosebumps. As a parent, this story shook me to the core, but also gave me hope that there’s still some humanity out there.'

But others argued the staff overreacted and spoke about the current state of male-female relations.

'And some people wonder why so many young men have never approached a woman,' singer Phil Labonte commented.

Another commenter sprang at the chance to bemoan their perceived difficulties of modern manhood.

'Can’t approach women in a coffee shop (creepy). Can’t approach women at work (unprofessional). Can’t approach women at the gym (distracting, creepy). Can’t approach women at church (no singles). Can’t approach women in public (with friends). What are men supposed to do?' they wrote.

Recent research found nearly half of young men under 25 had never approached a woman in person, mostly due to fear of rejection or consequences. Some attributed this to a perceived societal intolerance of interactions between strangers.

Conservative author Rachel Wilson added: 'Feminism has created mass hysteria that men are nothing but violent assault machines and that the only thing stopping them from enslaving the entire female sex is feminist activism and laws. It’s insanity, and it must stop. Women’s studies departments should be shut down.'

However, some pointed out that the negative reaction from ‘angry men' just further proved the point.

'Men in the [replies] giving us great examples of why the employees stepped in,' one said.

'Y’all are not entitled to speak to women simply because you think you can or perceive yourself as no harm,' another stressed.
Key Takeaways

• A Starbucks barista's note to a young female customer, offering to intervene when a man began talking to her, has caused significant online debate.
  • The mother of the young woman shared the story on social media, praising the Starbucks team for their attentiveness and care.
  • The post has since been shared millions of times online, generating mixed responses, with some praising the Starbucks team, while others criticise the state of male-female interaction.
  • Data from DatePsychology suggests fear of rejection and social consequences are causing fewer young men to approach females in person.
Members, what are your thoughts on the baristas' actions? Share them with us in the comments below!

I think it was considerate of him but once she signalled that she was ok . Should have been then left up to the young woman . Yes it’s true how do we meet new people today ? Only on the internet ? Surely not… and if feminism is working well then she could have told him to leave .🙄

Reactions: mylittletibbies