Stamping the future: Australia Post's letter delivery shake-up sparks postal evolution

As the world continues to evolve with the digital age, so must our traditional services adapt to keep pace with changing consumer habits.

For many Australians, especially those who have seen the postal service as a cornerstone of communication for decades, the latest news from Australia Post may come as a significant shift in how we think about sending and receiving mail.

Starting April 15, Australia Post will implement a new delivery schedule to see standard letters and unaddressed mail delivered every second day rather than daily.

This change is part of a broader strategy to modernise the federal government-owned postal service and shift its focus towards the growing e-commerce and package delivery market.

43342-mail-box.jpg.auspostimage.2000_0.medium.jpg
Australia Post now delivers letters every second day as part of a shift towards e-commerce and packages. Credits: Australia Post

While priority mail, express letters, and parcels are still delivered daily, the reduction in letter delivery frequency is a clear response to the consistent decline in letter volumes, which have dropped by two-thirds since their peak in 2008.

In stark contrast, the demand for parcel delivery is on the rise, with four in five Australian households making online purchases in 2023, and 9.5 million receiving parcels, as reported by Australia Post.

This pivot towards parcel delivery was tested and found to increase efficiency, with posties delivering 20 per cent more parcels when not bound by the letter round.

To accommodate the reduced letter delivery schedule, Australia Post agreed with the federal government to add an extra delivery day for letters.

This ensured that even with the changes, a letter posted within a state should arrive in four to five days, and interstate deliveries should take between six and eight days.

The gradual introduction of these changes across the country until the end of 2025 marks a significant transition period for Australia Post.

‘The regulations governing Australia Post had previously required us to focus on everyday letter delivery, even when there were no letters to deliver,’ Australia Post CEO and Managing Director Paul Graham stated.

‘This has been contributing to significant financial losses for Australia Post.’

‘The new regulations will enable Australia Post to focus on what Australians want most; flexible and more reliable parcel deliveries with enhanced tracking technology and more delivery options,’ he added.

Communications Minister Michelle Rowland echoed this sentiment, noting that the changes reflect the evolving ways Australians interact with the postal service.

‘The way Australians use the national postal service is changing,’ she pointed out.

‘And it’s critical Australia Post modernises to support customers and small businesses, local communities, and support greater economic productivity.’

With changes afoot in the way letters are handled and delivered, it's crucial to stay informed about how these adjustments may impact you.

As postage prices soar and letter volumes plummet, Australians are facing a new reality when it comes to sending and receiving mail.

Understanding the implications of these shifts is essential for navigating the evolving postal landscape and making informed decisions about your mailing needs.
Key Takeaways

• Australia Post reduced letter delivery frequency to every second day as part of a new business model shift towards e-commerce and packages starting April 15.
  • Express letters and parcels will still be delivered daily, but standard letters and unaddressed mail will move to the new delivery schedule.
  • The demand for parcel delivery is growing, with the majority of Australian households shopping online and receiving parcels.
  • These changes were aimed at modernising the federal government-owned postal service and reflecting the changing usage of Australians, with full implementation expected by the end of 2025.
How do you feel about the shift in Australia Post's delivery model? Will it affect your daily life or business operations? Join the conversation in the comments below.

• Love
Reactions: carole coad
Sponsored
My main complaint is the people that are buying our post offices. They are just plain rude. The one near us will not greet you when you walk in do not even talk to you. Lucky to find your parcel. They are taking over in so many towns. Everyone you talk to about them say the same thing . They are just plain rude. Bring back our nice owners. Fed up with these they have no manners. The lovely girls that were employed there were dismissed & they now only employ their own. It is a disgrace.

I note that the estimated time for delivering a letter within the same State is 5 days. I have had letters from within the same town delivered in never less than two weeks and normally at least 3 weeks. In other words if they can deliver in 5 days that would be a great improvement!!

Reactions: Jersey Girl
We are already on Monday, Wednesday and Friday deliveries for parcels as well as letters. Will they reduce ours down to once or twice a week? Country NSW

And with the parcel deliveries they need a kick in the rear end to deliver faster than at present. I have ordered a product locally, then the store warehouse is in Jandakot. The packages are picked up there by a Austpost courier and then delivered to the mail exchange at the Airport. Then it gets sorted again and finally delivered to my unit [possibly - some of the Auspost couriers do not ring the door bell or knock or announce themselves at the door - they make the decision no one home and then deliver it to the local Postshop for me to pick up. The Post shop is about 4 Km from my unit. I do not have a car, cannot travel because of disability- so have to try and rely on relatives to pick up articles if they are available]. If a parcel is addressed to a unit or street address then the parcel should be delivered to that location not re directed to a post office. They should leave the parcel in a not so easily seen location at your premise. [Yes I am aware of the parcel thieves in the suburbs]. The whole postal system needs a big kick in the rear end to become more efficient. There latest media ads - Australia Post We delivery - should be sometimes added onto that ad.

Reactions: marni
I'm still one of those who receive my paper bills by post. Many of them have a payby date. Will utility and other companies adjust their mailouts so we have time to pay the pay on time to receive the discount. I also send birthday and greetings cards. There's no guarantee they will arrive at the right time.
you do not have to pay the day you receive. You have quite a few days to pay by due date. as to cards get your act together and send earlier. EASY.

I still use snail mail and take advantage of the pensioners stamps. Nothing anyone says will convince me that I have to send Xmas cards, birthday cards, sympathy cards, thank you notes, or just plain letters by any other means than with the written words done with my own hand. Emails just don't cut it for me for so many things.
I don't mind receiving important bills on-line, mainly because I don't think the postal system can be trusted.
Quite frankly, I don't see there will be much difference between the service, or lack thereof, we receive now, compared to a delivery every 2 days. I go to the letter box every day out of habit, not expectation.
They have been as slow as wet weeks for years. Every second post office is shutting down, some in areas that would be considered high traffic.
How can the PO expect to be profitable if they choose to close more branches than develop them into something more appealing.

This country has gone to the dogs.Albanese is a complete idiot.Look at all the damage he has done since he has been in power.No-one can afford a house to rent or buy.Nearly every you get on the phone it's someone you can't understand and service is nil.