Spring season got you down? Here's why your hay fever is getting worse, according to a doctor

To our members who suffer from asthma and hay fever, you may find that you have a particularly rough time at the beginning of September.

There is a double whammy during this time of year: flu and pollen – and wind-pollinated grasses, weeds, and trees are typically to blame for the latter.

Here, a medical professional explains the strange scientific evidence for the alarming rise in cases of hay fever, especially in Sydney and Melbourne.

Dr Zac Turner, a medical doctor and co-owner of the telemedicine service Concierge Doctors, says that while some people welcome the return of warmer weather and the opportunities to spend more time outdoors, for others, the arrival of spring means an endless battle against pollen everywhere.

89qnuhaREzDwTenvednhRAZE49UeaZw0R3YMmcLLYCEZ67e33j0-KPr-6Y-JPI7n2B4cqVzFXj3oDFAJLtVNXCK00vjHn5fgJ7SZs5NkWc9tt5TLt2ZA-xQ9I4JK9Rt8UZ3CGvXc4O2q_1abp1aUfhyRtTAtHbTaXJJL6mTWxGTnH1wvGFVl0PVs2A

Fallen leaves from London plane trees are huge triggers of allergies and hay fever. Credit: AAP/Joe Castro.

In a weekly column with news.com.au, Dr Turner went and answered a question from a reader, asking him if there are ways to 'desensitise' yourself from pollen, especially if you suffer from allergies and hay fever.

The reader also wanted to know if it's true that the abundant London plane trees in Melbourne are a big trigger for people with hay fever.

Dr Turner responded by saying that, yes, London plane trees do trigger severe hay fever symptoms for many Aussies, especially those living in urban areas with dense London plane tree populations.

'Think of hayfever and allergies as a bushfire, and London plane trees as napalm being thrown into the blaze,' he said.

Dr Turner says that most Australians who live in Melbourne and Sydney know what a London plane tree looks like, but they don't know what it's called. In Sydney and Melbourne, they make up a similar proportion of the total tree population—roughly 70%. (Wow, that's almost a forest full of allergy-inducing trees…)

'The tree is popular with developers and town planners because these trees are quick growing, pollution tolerant and overall have a pleasing aesthetic,' he said.

He explained, however, that with these trees, what's commonly ignored are the falling leaves, which during the height of spring release soot hairs known as trichomes.

_UwHy9yemKk7uCwhfbXm55yBZwOp0b9PWmIjMkUyOmQfUfp89zf7UUEYNGbdx24foin2w61mC2Tx51GRoNSpOxA4eM948OtWe7LlN5Pj-yao50jBGWTlvF2Z5DoeDzJZc13HIB7D5SbWMMXMwDQe5n9qqbkbkAI6vtiBSrrb452_ithee6xGwArFpQ

London plane trees are abundant in Melbourne and Sydney. Credit: AAP/Troy Snook.

Trichomes are tiny hairs with a spiky appearance that cover the young leaves of plane trees in the spring. As the leaves mature, the trichomes fall off and are dispersed into the air.

'The fine particles from plane trees could cause throat irritation and laryngospasm, a spasm of the vocal cords, even in people who are not prone to allergies,' said Dr Turner.

'The studies are fresh, but they suggest that those with existing allergies often have exacerbated reactions due to trichomes. It's shown that these spores also exacerbate asthma, emphysema and bronchitis.'

Dr Turner also provided an example of how these microscopic spores have harmed people who were completely unaware they were being infected.

'Ten years ago, Australian hospitals did 10 full lung transplants a year. Now they do about 20 just in Sydney,' he said, adding: 'If you have asthma or serious allergies and breathe in just one of these spores, you could end up being one of those lung transplants if you have a bad reaction.'

The health expert also said that he really thinks all Australian councils should make it illegal to plant these trees because they will most likely cause 'a new pandemic'.

But instead of telling people to become guerrilla gardeners and cut down these trees, he instead suggested some habits that Aussies can do to avoid itchy eyes or worse, a trip to the hospital.

JDWVFrs_mVQyB5j7EZcEyyt8mh1dCAT6DmxkbxPqMKcq-auRhV60N_duDzs7LaGNu9lQVaNRaBSCEVdS733kjG51Vf5SFUFOIOs2VZKatnkEM-whZp3KbYw4XGYt7kXjNqvQAJTU_AuKGKzpjKb2UpRNcj_kjjuo4Umt3BsWmKqDYyZwzhYTIGWlXg

This spring, you can avoid suffering from severe allergies or hay fever by taking a few preventative measures. Credit: The House of Wellness. (Stock photo)

Here are his recommendations:
  • If you have asthma, make sure you have plenty of puffers and keep one in your pocket at all times.
  • Keep a supply of antihistamines on hand and use them as needed.
  • Wear sunglasses with a wraparound frame when you're outside, and stay away from areas with a lot of plane trees in the spring.
  • Make a plan with your doctor to deal with your allergies and get tested to find out what exactly sets them off.

For those of you who suffer from allergies or hay fever, we hope Dr Turner's advice may be helpful to you as well! But, as always, we feel it necessary to remind you that it is always preferable to consult with your doctor in order to find out what works best for you and your particular condition.

Members, please make sure you are keeping yourself safe and healthy this spring season!

• Wow
Reactions: Dwal, BJM and Ricci
Sponsored
I have asthma and hay fever but my 17 year old has really week lungs.

Six of my grandchildren under the age of 4 have bad dairy allergies.

We have all had so many allergies test but now I'm asking why have we not been tested for London trees which I have never even heard of by the photo they look like camphor laurel trees.

I'm allergic to wattle.

I'm going to send this article to my daughters and will also discussitwith our allergist

Reactions: Penny4 and Ricci
To our members who suffer from asthma and hay fever, you may find that you have a particularly rough time at the beginning of September.

There is a double whammy during this time of year: flu and pollen – and wind-pollinated grasses, weeds, and trees are typically to blame for the latter.

Here, a medical professional explains the strange scientific evidence for the alarming rise in cases of hay fever, especially in Sydney and Melbourne.

Dr Zac Turner, a medical doctor and co-owner of the telemedicine service Concierge Doctors, says that while some people welcome the return of warmer weather and the opportunities to spend more time outdoors, for others, the arrival of spring means an endless battle against pollen everywhere.

89qnuhaREzDwTenvednhRAZE49UeaZw0R3YMmcLLYCEZ67e33j0-KPr-6Y-JPI7n2B4cqVzFXj3oDFAJLtVNXCK00vjHn5fgJ7SZs5NkWc9tt5TLt2ZA-xQ9I4JK9Rt8UZ3CGvXc4O2q_1abp1aUfhyRtTAtHbTaXJJL6mTWxGTnH1wvGFVl0PVs2A

Fallen leaves from London plane trees are huge triggers of allergies and hay fever. Credit: AAP/Joe Castro.

In a weekly column with news.com.au, Dr Turner went and answered a question from a reader, asking him if there are ways to 'desensitise' yourself from pollen, especially if you suffer from allergies and hay fever.

The reader also wanted to know if it's true that the abundant London plane trees in Melbourne are a big trigger for people with hay fever.

Dr Turner responded by saying that, yes, London plane trees do trigger severe hay fever symptoms for many Aussies, especially those living in urban areas with dense London plane tree populations.

'Think of hayfever and allergies as a bushfire, and London plane trees as napalm being thrown into the blaze,' he said.

Dr Turner says that most Australians who live in Melbourne and Sydney know what a London plane tree looks like, but they don't know what it's called. In Sydney and Melbourne, they make up a similar proportion of the total tree population—roughly 70%. (Wow, that's almost a forest full of allergy-inducing trees…)

'The tree is popular with developers and town planners because these trees are quick growing, pollution tolerant and overall have a pleasing aesthetic,' he said.

He explained, however, that with these trees, what's commonly ignored are the falling leaves, which during the height of spring release soot hairs known as trichomes.

_UwHy9yemKk7uCwhfbXm55yBZwOp0b9PWmIjMkUyOmQfUfp89zf7UUEYNGbdx24foin2w61mC2Tx51GRoNSpOxA4eM948OtWe7LlN5Pj-yao50jBGWTlvF2Z5DoeDzJZc13HIB7D5SbWMMXMwDQe5n9qqbkbkAI6vtiBSrrb452_ithee6xGwArFpQ

London plane trees are abundant in Melbourne and Sydney. Credit: AAP/Troy Snook.

Trichomes are tiny hairs with a spiky appearance that cover the young leaves of plane trees in the spring. As the leaves mature, the trichomes fall off and are dispersed into the air.

'The fine particles from plane trees could cause throat irritation and laryngospasm, a spasm of the vocal cords, even in people who are not prone to allergies,' said Dr Turner.

'The studies are fresh, but they suggest that those with existing allergies often have exacerbated reactions due to trichomes. It's shown that these spores also exacerbate asthma, emphysema and bronchitis.'

Dr Turner also provided an example of how these microscopic spores have harmed people who were completely unaware they were being infected.

'Ten years ago, Australian hospitals did 10 full lung transplants a year. Now they do about 20 just in Sydney,' he said, adding: 'If you have asthma or serious allergies and breathe in just one of these spores, you could end up being one of those lung transplants if you have a bad reaction.'

The health expert also said that he really thinks all Australian councils should make it illegal to plant these trees because they will most likely cause 'a new pandemic'.

But instead of telling people to become guerrilla gardeners and cut down these trees, he instead suggested some habits that Aussies can do to avoid itchy eyes or worse, a trip to the hospital.

JDWVFrs_mVQyB5j7EZcEyyt8mh1dCAT6DmxkbxPqMKcq-auRhV60N_duDzs7LaGNu9lQVaNRaBSCEVdS733kjG51Vf5SFUFOIOs2VZKatnkEM-whZp3KbYw4XGYt7kXjNqvQAJTU_AuKGKzpjKb2UpRNcj_kjjuo4Umt3BsWmKqDYyZwzhYTIGWlXg

This spring, you can avoid suffering from severe allergies or hay fever by taking a few preventative measures. Credit: The House of Wellness. (Stock photo)

• If you have asthma, make sure you have plenty of puffers and keep one in your pocket at all times.
  • Wear sunglasses with a wraparound frame when you're outside, and stay away from areas with a lot of plane trees in the spring.
  • Make a plan with your doctor to deal with your allergies and get tested to find out what exactly sets them off.

For those of you who suffer from allergies or hay fever, we hope Dr Turner's advice may be helpful to you as well! But, as always, we feel it necessary to remind you that it is always preferable to consult with your doctor in order to find out what works best for you and your particular condition.

Members, please make sure you are keeping yourself safe and healthy this spring season!
It's getting worse because the drug companies are marketing it better to see more drugs, like peanut butter allergy, who had heard of it 40 years ago, it is worse because it is being marketed to people to sell more drugs. I will cop some flack for this but who cares, have a look at the statistics, how many people had Peanut Butter Allergy or Asthma or Hay fever back in the 50 and 60's?? compared to now. It all started with a new marketing campaign. Now Children are basically talked into the fact they have something wrong with them.

It's getting worse because the drug companies are marketing it better to see more drugs, like peanut butter allergy, who had heard of it 40 years ago, it is worse because it is being marketed to people to sell more drugs. I will cop some flack for this but who cares, have a look at the statistics, how many people had Peanut Butter Allergy or Asthma or Hay fever back in the 50 and 60's?? compared to now. It all started with a new marketing campaign. Now Children are basically talked into the fact they have something wrong with them.
I agree with you, I grew up in the 50/60s and had 4 kids in the 70/80s and peanut butter allergies were never heard of, I always had a sore throat as a kid onlt to find out I was and still am allergic to dogs, only one girl in my high school classes had asthma and she nearly died from it as an adult, wattle used to set her off. I know whole schools have banned kids taking peanut butter sandwiches to school because 1 child is allergic to it so all have to suffer, I personally am allergic to perfumes and anything with lavender in it as a base it can cause migraines o the point of vomiting,found this pout one day going to appointment on a community transport busand another passenger smelt like she had showered in the stuff, driver had to stop as I was feeling so sick, as soon as I got on the step of the bus I threw up, Drug companies are making big money from sales of antihistamines .

So, he never answered the question of how to de-sensitize, did he?!

They've got them trees growing along the main Street in Hamilton Victoria, the problems they cause with this (health issues), leaves in Autumn and the root damage to the buildings and footpaths is bloody ridiculous, but the council don't seem to think spending thousands of ratepayer dollars on never ending bandaid fixes seem to matter.

I agree with you, I grew up in the 50/60s and had 4 kids in the 70/80s and peanut butter allergies were never heard of, I always had a sore throat as a kid onlt to find out I was and still am allergic to dogs, only one girl in my high school classes had asthma and she nearly died from it as an adult, wattle used to set her off. I know whole schools have banned kids taking peanut butter sandwiches to school because 1 child is allergic to it so all have to suffer, I personally am allergic to perfumes and anything with lavender in it as a base it can cause migraines o the point of vomiting,found this pout one day going to appointment on a community transport busand another passenger smelt like she had showered in the stuff, driver had to stop as I was feeling so sick, as soon as I got on the step of the bus I threw up, Drug companies are making big money from sales of antihistamines .
Sorry, but it is a fact that childhood allergies and childhood asthma are increasing almost exponentially. Most research suggests that we have all always had susceptibility to various chemicals but that susceptibility is being increasingly triggered by our environment.

Because allergies are so multifactorial, it is almost impossible to ascribe a single cause to the issue but there are two favoured reasons.

Firstly, we increasingly live in a smog of chemicals from new products where we have no idea of how they might trigger allergies that would once have been quite rare. An example is BPA, a component of cheap plastic, that was used extensively during the 1990's and 2000's. Research into the health effects of BPA was de-funded by George W Bush at the instigation of plastics companies who contributed heavily to his election campaigns. Research was only restarted under Obama and BPA is now banned in all food storage.

Second reason is simply a function of the first. Parents are bombarded with advertisements for chemicals to make their houses squeaky clean but we don't have research on the effects of those chemicals on children. We do, however, have research that guarding your children against exposure to germs and dirt weakens their immune systems.

So, as much as I also dislike pharmaceutical companies, it is not them who are driving this trend (although they may well be profiting from it) but all those great cleaning companies who tell you how bad germs are.

Reactions: gordon1940
I take a tablespoonful of local raw honey during hayfever season. It works for me.

Reactions: Wendy
I take a tablespoonful of local raw honey during hayfever season. It works for me.
I've been doing that for donkey's years, not the supermarket stuff, get local honey.

My Mother was a Triple Certificated Nurse and in the late 40s and early 50s because of a lack of Doctors in the area many Pregnant women would call at home for advice. I recall Mother always telling them to drink plenty of Full cream milk and eat raw Peanuts. maybe this helped. In averting allergies?

Reactions: debjane
I have hay fever, but not severe.
My 34yr old son was diagnosed with severe asthma when he was 3yrs old, and he still has asthma plus hay fever.
Unfortunately, he developed peanut allergy when he was 27yrs old which of course is an immune response.
Apparently peanut allergies can happen at any age, and each attack is different.
Specialists don't advise continually taking antihistamines as your body gets used to them, as it's a good idea for a backup when you really need to take them.
Instead, my son gets a Dr's prescription nose spray that works for his hay fever.
By the way, I ate peanut butter and still do, but it didn't prevent my son getting the allergy.
My 88yr old mother has always suffered with sinus.
Honestly, genetics have a lot to answer to!

Last edited: