Spike in flu cases prompts urgent health warning for seniors, kids

As the leaves turn and the air chills, Australians are bracing for what health authorities are predicting to be an 'early and severe' flu season.

With a staggering 24,019 laboratory-confirmed cases of influenza already reported this year, the nation is witnessing a 29 per cent increase compared to the same period last year, according to the latest Department of Health figures.

But these numbers may only be the tip of the iceberg, as countless cases often go unreported.

Immunisation Coalition's chief executive Dr Andrew Minton has expressed concern over the recent statistics, which have prompted health experts to warn the public to get vaccinated soonest.

'Population immunity is still on the mend post-pandemic, yet influenza infection rates remain alarmingly high and pose a serious threat,' he warned.

‘Children and high-risk populations, particularly the elderly, are most at risk.’

compressed-shutterstock_1984569344.jpeg
Over nine million people were vaccinated against influenza from March-October 2023, according to Department of Health and Aged Care data. Image Credit: Shutterstock / Christie Cooper

As Australians retreat indoors to escape the cooler weather, the stage is set for the flu virus to spread like wildfire.

The winter and early spring months, particularly July and August, have traditionally seen the highest flu activity.

However, since 2022, the pattern has shifted, with the flu season commencing as early as April and reaching its peak by June.

The summer months have not provided the usual respite either. Influenza cases have soared, often tripling the numbers seen before the pandemic, largely due to travellers returning from the northern hemisphere with the virus in tow.
Tip
For more information on the flu vaccine, visit the Department of Health website or call the National Immunisation Hotline at 1800 022 222.
The groups most susceptible to hospitalisation or worse from influenza include very young children, the elderly, pregnant women, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, and individuals with underlying health conditions.

The flu vaccine is provided free of charge to these groups.

Influenza vaccines can also now be administered concurrently with other vaccines, including COVID-19 shots. This change comes after the removal of the previous recommendation to wait two weeks between different vaccinations.

While many are encouraged to get immunised at the earliest chance, others have chosen to issue warnings after unfortunate bouts with influenza.

A mum named Carly shared her family’s experience with the highly infectious disease, which she thinks could have been avoided had she not gotten ‘so busy’ and forgotten to have her family immunised against flu.

‘My daughter fell extremely ill for 10 days, and after awful ongoing symptoms of vomiting, fevers and headaches I had to rush her to hospital, where they kept her for testing,’ she said.

‘It completely wiped her out for a week [and] sadly, because she was so rundown, she then contracted Influenza B and gastro a few months later.’

‘The whole time I was watching my poor daughter go through this, I thought to myself "What if I had remembered to have her vaccinated?”’ she admitted.

Source: YouTube / 9News Australia

In hindsight, she came to a realisation.

‘I do believe having my daughter vaccinated would have really reduced the severity,’ she said.

‘My advice would be to be mindful and aware that the flu is definitely around, and that the vaccine can really reduce the severity or avoid it altogether and will help to protect your family.’
Key Takeaways

• Australia has seen a 29 per cent increase in laboratory-confirmed flu cases compared to the same time last year, with 24,019 cases so far.
  • Health authorities are warning of an 'early, severe' flu season, noting that population immunity is still recovering post-pandemic.
  • There's a trend towards an earlier start to the flu season, with a spike in cases expected due to cooler weather driving people indoors.
  • The flu vaccine is freely available for high-risk groups, including very young children, the elderly, pregnant women, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, with no need to space it from other vaccines like COVID-19 shots.
On the topic of health warnings, members, there's another illness you should know about. Find out more here!

We encourage our readers to share their experiences and tips for staying healthy during flu season in the comments below. Have you gotten your flu shot yet? How are you preparing for the colder months?

Last edited:
Reactions: PattiB and Ashmenou
Sponsored
Over the past 2 weeks we have had 6 sick kids

One daughter her 3 girls aged 7, 5 and 3 had the flu. The 7 year olds lasted longer and her cough was shocking and fever wouldn't go. During a video call I told her I was pretty sure it was pneumonia and sure enough it was

Another daughter whose 3 girls aged 16, 4 and 3 also had a bad flu. The 16 year olds wouldn't get better , my daughter took her to the doctors once and hospital and was told just let her rest. 7 days and still with fever and bad cough , I told her take her back to the doctor and demand an exray. Her doctor didn't want to do an exray and told her if she insist then she can pay for it. She got the referral and went off for the exray and turns out she also had pneumonia and needed special antibiotics. Her inlaws told her to go to their doctor which she did and was given special antibiotics

It's good not to have antibiotics if you can get away from it but sometimes we do need them and should be given them.

Go with you gut and don't be afraid to ask questions and demand test ect.

My daughter is now going to her inlaws doctor who was amazed that my daughters original doctor never wanted to do an exray especially how her chest sounded and having a fever for so long

Ooooo next they will be linking this flu with Covid-19
Covid-19 is a type of influenza. We were born with a very intricate immune system which deals with viruses etc. For many years the medical professionals have interfered with our immune system by injecting us which weakens and lowers our immunity. It's all about Pharmaceutical companies making money.

Reactions: IAN3005
There was a very nasty virus doing the rounds from late last year. We had a friend stay for a couple of nights who seemed quite sick. Sure enough a couple of days later I came down with it. I have never had Covid but I as so sick I thought I had it but after testing every other day and a visit to the dr it definitely wasn’t Covid. My neighbour and her four year old son had the same thing a few weeks after me and both ended up with pneumonia and were very close to being in hospital. I think I avoided pneumonia because I was already taking anti biotics for an unrelated issue so the infection didn’t take hold.

• Wow
Reactions: Jarred Santos
They have this scare tactic every year the influenza virus from other nations weaken before they reach Australia I am NOT in anyway discouraging the vulnerable people who need to be vaccinated if they have to be vaccinated then I will encourage them to get vaccinated

Over the past 2 weeks we have had 6 sick kids

One daughter her 3 girls aged 7, 5 and 3 had the flu. The 7 year olds lasted longer and her cough was shocking and fever wouldn't go. During a video call I told her I was pretty sure it was pneumonia and sure enough it was

Another daughter whose 3 girls aged 16, 4 and 3 also had a bad flu. The 16 year olds wouldn't get better , my daughter took her to the doctors once and hospital and was told just let her rest. 7 days and still with fever and bad cough , I told her take her back to the doctor and demand an exray. Her doctor didn't want to do an exray and told her if she insist then she can pay for it. She got the referral and went off for the exray and turns out she also had pneumonia and needed special antibiotics. Her inlaws told her to go to their doctor which she did and was given special antibiotics

It's good not to have antibiotics if you can get away from it but sometimes we do need them and should be given them.

Go with you gut and don't be afraid to ask questions and demand test ect.

My daughter is now going to her inlaws doctor who was amazed that my daughters original doctor never wanted to do an exray especially how her chest sounded and having a fever for so long
Have you heard of the “rsv”virus it’s been around for years symptoms same as the flu. Look it up it could be what you’ve all actually got.😊just a thought but stay safe.

Covid-19 is a type of influenza. We were born with a very intricate immune system which deals with viruses etc. For many years the medical professionals have interfered with our immune system by injecting us which weakens and lowers our immunity. It's all about Pharmaceutical companies making money.
It’s not a type of influenza. It’s a corona virus. I don’t hold with conspiracy theories. Doctors do not profit from vaccines.

Have you heard of the “rsv”virus it’s been around for years symptoms same as the flu. Look it up it could be what you’ve all actually got.😊just a thought but stay safe.
The test they did on them was also for RSV 2 showed pneumonia, 2 bronchitis and 2 just a flu.

Seriously I don't want it, I just got over covid and a really bad flu last November 🤧

Reactions: Littleboy8
Get my vaccinations every year and, knock on wood, it's been a long time since the flu touched our home.
If it's not one thing, it's the other. The older I get, the more I am aware that hubby and I need to prioritise prevention rather than hoping for a cure.