'Something has gone wrong': AusPost customer livid over damaged parcel

As much as we like to take advantage of all modern conveniences and have goods delivered to our doorsteps, we should also keep in mind that sometimes problems can arise when it comes to getting our packages in perfect shape.

Just recently, an Australia Post customer was left outraged after receiving a delivery that had been ripped open during transit.

The package had also appeared to be haphazardly taped back together.

'Repaired by Australia Post. I think the f**k not,' he wrote, sparking debate over who is accountable when parcels get damaged.

SDC 6.png
A customer shared photos of their Australia Post parcel upon arrival at his home. Image source: Facebook.

But while some blamed Australia Post for the ‘gaping holes’ in the box, other users defended the service provider and blamed the sender for incorrectly packing the parcel.

'Looks like a very thin cardboard box with a lot of empty space,’ one pointed out.

‘What do you think is going to happen when such a package is handled by machinery and heavier packages are bound to land on top of it?'

'Anyone who doesn't pack parcels to withstand the rough treatment that any sane person knows the parcel is going to encounter is a mo**n.'

Despite not outright taking responsibility for the damage, the courier did admit to some fault.

'The vast majority of mail delivered by Australia Post arrives safely but it's clear something has gone wrong in this instance,' a spokesperson said.

They added that customers may get in touch with them to raise any concerns by calling 13 POST (13 7678) or via the AusPost app.

They also urged senders to pack deliveries correctly.

'To help items arrive safely, customers should ensure parcels are always packed appropriately in sturdy packaging that is suitable for what's inside,' the spokesperson added.

Another tip Australia Post shared is to choose the right packaging: 'It should be durable and secured with heavy-duty packing tape. Items shouldn't be too loose or crammed in too tight.'

Senders should ensure that their items will not bend or move around during transit by filling empty spaces with shredded paper, tissue paper, or void filler.

In similar news, a business owner in Newcastle, NSW, shared a video on social media capturing an alarming moment when an Australia Post worker appeared to make a half-hearted attempt at a delivery.

In the footage, we see the postie quickly pull up to the business, grab the package from the back, scan it, jot down a collection card, and return the package to the storage box—all in just 90 seconds!

The frustrated customer took to social media to express their disappointment, saying, 'This is apparently Australia Post's idea of attempting to deliver a registered post item.'

The video of the Australia Post worker's half-hearted delivery attempt has sparked a wave of outrage among Facebook users. Many have encouraged the customer to file a complaint with AusPost, with one person saying the incident made their 'blood boil'.

You can read more about this incident here.
Key Takeaways
  • An Australia Post customer received a damaged parcel and blamed the postal service for allegedly mishandling the delivery.
  • Some online users defended Australia Post, suggesting the sender was at fault for not packaging the item correctly.
  • A spokesperson for Australia Post acknowledged that something had gone wrong in this instance, and provided their contact details for customers to report any delivery concerns.
  • Australia Post advised senders to use sturdy packaging and fill spaces with shredded paper or tissue paper to prevent items from moving during transit.
Members, do you have a similar experience with Australia Post? Who do you think is at fault here? Share your experience with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
As much as we like to take advantage of all modern conveniences and have goods delivered to our doorsteps, we should also keep in mind that sometimes problems can arise when it comes to getting our packages in perfect shape.

Just recently, an Australia Post customer was left outraged after receiving a delivery that had been ripped open during transit.

'Repaired by Australia Post. I think the f**k not,' he wrote, sparking debate over who is accountable when parcels get damaged.

View attachment 32457
A customer shared photos of their Australia Post parcel upon arrival at his home. Image source: Facebook.

But while some blamed Australia Post for the ‘gaping holes’ in the box, other users defended the service provider and blamed the sender for incorrectly packing the parcel.

'Looks like a very thin cardboard box with a lot of empty space,’ one pointed out.

‘What do you think is going to happen when such a package is handled by machinery and heavier packages are bound to land on top of it?'

'Anyone who doesn't pack parcels to withstand the rough treatment that any sane person knows the parcel is going to encounter is a mo**n.'

Despite not outright taking responsibility for the damage, the courier did admit to some fault.

'The vast majority of mail delivered by Australia Post arrives safely but it's clear something has gone wrong in this instance,' a spokesperson said.

They added that customers may get in touch with them to raise any concerns by calling 13 POST (13 7678) or via the AusPost app.

'To help items arrive safely, customers should ensure parcels are always packed appropriately in sturdy packaging that is suitable for what's inside,' the spokesperson added.

Another tip Australia Post shared is to choose the right packaging: 'It should be durable and secured with heavy-duty packing tape. Items shouldn't be too loose or crammed in too tight.'

Senders should ensure that their items will not bend or move around during transit by filling empty spaces with shredded paper, tissue paper, or void filler.

In similar news, a business owner in Newcastle, NSW, shared a video on social media capturing an alarming moment when an Australia Post worker appeared to make a half-hearted attempt at a delivery.

In the footage, we see the postie quickly pull up to the business, grab the package from the back, scan it, jot down a collection card, and return the package to the storage box—all in just 90 seconds!

The frustrated customer took to social media to express their disappointment, saying, 'This is apparently Australia Post's idea of attempting to deliver a registered post item.'

The video of the Australia Post worker's half-hearted delivery attempt has sparked a wave of outrage among Facebook users. Many have encouraged the customer to file a complaint with AusPost, with one person saying the incident made their 'blood boil'.

Key Takeaways

• An Australia Post customer received a damaged parcel and blamed the postal service for allegedly mishandling the delivery.
  • Some online users defended Australia Post, suggesting the sender was at fault for not packaging the item correctly.
  • A spokesperson for Australia Post acknowledged that something had gone wrong in this instance, and provided their contact details for customers to report any delivery concerns.
  • Australia Post advised senders to use sturdy packaging and fill spaces with shredded paper or tissue paper to prevent items from moving during transit.
Members, do you have a similar experience with Australia Post? Who do you think is at fault here? Share your experience with us in the comments below!
Australia Post may PUBLICLY defend their parcel post service, but behind the scenes, they are still utilising the previous Coalition government's policy. That has turned Australia Post from a US Postal Service grade AAA+ service to a Third World, "WHY WOULD YOU???" service. I lost two parcels utilising Australia Post and now I stipulate that Australia Post is not used for my deliveries.

I asked for Australia Post to investigate the disappearance of the first parcel through the normal means using the tracking number and just got the, "It has been delivered." ... "the contractor says that he delivered the parcel." ... "It must have been stolen after he delivered it" ... etc. So I escalated the theft to the then Federal Minister in Charge of Australia Post. His Office obviously did not LIKE being involved but they kicked the problem back down the line and eventually I got, "The parcel was delivered to the wrong address." ... "OK, so get it back and deliver it to me." ... We can't. The person who we delivered it to denies that it was delivered to them." ... "OK, so that is theft. Do you want the phone number of the local Police Station?" ... "No, Australia Post does not do that. We will pay you for the parcel if you show us the invoice and proof of payment." I did get a check from Australia Post. The second parcel was paid for quick smart. Apparently, I must be on the "Will go to the Minister" list.

So how did Australia go from a top tier postal service to a Third World "ya takes ya chances" service? Simple ... We elected an ultra-conservative government for three terms of government ... the current Labor government has done little to address these service failures at this time. But back to the former government's policy. The conservative ideology is that there should be NO government supplied services. OR "If there is money to be made, someone (usually someone connected) should be making it!" They fail to remember that the US Postal Service was a government supplied and government guaranteed service.

But back to Australia. How do you destroy an excellent government supplied service, so that some of our mates can start making the ching ching that they are entitled to?
1. Start destroying the lives of people that are supplying that service.
a. Replace them with subcontractors. Subcontractors don't have employment security, government superannuation and most important ... are not in unions!
b. Replace the Postman ... postperson ... with contractors. "Buy a van, become an Australia Post contractor. Make enough money as a small business person to LIVE THE DREAM!" Then drive the returns to the contractors down until your subcontractors ... who are not in unions and can be sacked on the spot ... cannot make a reasonable living.

2. Make the complaint process so difficult that customers give up. This allows you to hide the amount of complaints and for management and the executive right up to the Minister"Hey, not my problem!"

3. The government can proudly claim, "We cut the cost of Australia Post!"

4. Australians use US based parcel post companies. Australia Post loses market share.

Job DONE! Our mates are pouring big bucks into our re-election campaigns and the mugs are sending their money where we want it to go ... Do we even need Australia Post anymore?

Never had a problem with Australia Post Mr. McGahery certainly has his knickers in a knot over a couple of parcels? What a rant. I don't think much of politicians either but I don't mix them up with contractors or subcontractors. Have a cuppa and settle down Maurie you'll wind up with ulcers.

Australia Post may PUBLICLY defend their parcel post service, but behind the scenes, they are still utilising the previous Coalition government's policy. That has turned Australia Post from a US Postal Service grade AAA+ service to a Third World, "WHY WOULD YOU???" service. I lost two parcels utilising Australia Post and now I stipulate that Australia Post is not used for my deliveries.

I asked for Australia Post to investigate the disappearance of the first parcel through the normal means using the tracking number and just got the, "It has been delivered." ... "the contractor says that he delivered the parcel." ... "It must have been stolen after he delivered it" ... etc. So I escalated the theft to the then Federal Minister in Charge of Australia Post. His Office obviously did not LIKE being involved but they kicked the problem back down the line and eventually I got, "The parcel was delivered to the wrong address." ... "OK, so get it back and deliver it to me." ... We can't. The person who we delivered it to denies that it was delivered to them." ... "OK, so that is theft. Do you want the phone number of the local Police Station?" ... "No, Australia Post does not do that. We will pay you for the parcel if you show us the invoice and proof of payment." I did get a check from Australia Post. The second parcel was paid for quick smart. Apparently, I must be on the "Will go to the Minister" list.

So how did Australia go from a top tier postal service to a Third World "ya takes ya chances" service? Simple ... We elected an ultra-conservative government for three terms of government ... the current Labor government has done little to address these service failures at this time. But back to the former government's policy. The conservative ideology is that there should be NO government supplied services. OR "If there is money to be made, someone (usually someone connected) should be making it!" They fail to remember that the US Postal Service was a government supplied and government guaranteed service.

But back to Australia. How do you destroy an excellent government supplied service, so that some of our mates can start making the ching ching that they are entitled to?
a. Replace them with subcontractors. Subcontractors don't have employment security, government superannuation and most important ... are not in unions!
b. Replace the Postman ... postperson ... with contractors. "Buy a van, become an Australia Post contractor. Make enough money as a small business person to LIVE THE DREAM!" Then drive the returns to the contractors down until your subcontractors ... who are not in unions and can be sacked on the spot ... cannot make a reasonable living.

2. Make the complaint process so difficult that customers give up. This allows you to hide the amount of complaints and for management and the executive right up to the Minister"Hey, not my problem!"

4. Australians use US based parcel post companies. Australia Post loses market share.

Job DONE! Our mates are pouring big bucks into our re-election campaigns and the mugs are sending their money where we want it to go ... Do we even need Australia Post anymore?

I bought a pack of two cordless phones and answering machine about 5 years ago. At the time we had a female postie who was delivering mail to wrong addresses and one day out the front of my place she lost control of her bike and mail went everywhere. She said she delivered my package,clearly remembered putting it in my mailbox. My mailbox has a lock on it and no way would the package have fitted through the slot. I rang Australia Post and got the biggest runaround,I never got my phones or reimbursed. The postie got transferred to a different area.

To compare Australia Post with the US postal service just suggest to me you haven't used the US postal service

Reactions: Macarj
I paid for a substantial cheque to be delivered through registered mail which required a signature on delivery. The recipient of the cheque found the letter in his letterbox when he returned home. Luckily it was delivered to the right location. I submitted a complaint to auspost, no idea of the outcome.

A ministerial enquiry always gets immediate attention, always has been the case. The more difficult part is getting the ministers office (unless he/she is also your local member) to actual follow up without the generic cut and paste response letter. With the hope you just go away. Nothing wrong with making these over paid (elected) public servants doing so actual work.

View attachment 32457

Key Takeaways

To compare Australia Post with the US postal service just suggest to me you haven't used the US postal service
Have used US postal service. Placed an order on August 25. It got to South Australia. I live in Victoria. I still haven't got it and they are very lax to chase it up.

View attachment 32457

Key Takeaways

Occasionally. They won’t even ring the doorbell to check if you are home. I know this is difficult being up and down all the time but it is their job and a lot of things with our jobs are hard. Better than throwing a card in the box or nowdays sending s digital card leaving us to make the trip to the post office.

Reactions: Observer and DLHM
One of my delivery drivers writes of cards, leaves them in the letter box and returns the items to the PO for the customer to pick up the at a later time. Great delivery service.

Reactions: Ezzy
I paid for a substantial cheque to be delivered through registered mail which required a signature on delivery. The recipient of the cheque found the letter in his letterbox when he returned home. Luckily it was delivered to the right location. I submitted a complaint to auspost, no idea of the outcome.
During Covid everything was delivered without signature - so wrong -

Reactions: Observer
I normally don't have a problem with Australia Post delivery men. However, the other day I got notification that my parcel couldn't be delivered because of no safe place. I was home at the time and waiting for the parcel. I rang Aus Post customer service straight away because there had been no attempted delivery. I got a nice young girl and explained that it took a taxi and bus to get to my local post office to collect the rather large parcel. She said she couldn't guarantee anything but would try and get it delivered back to me. A couple of days later to my surprise, said parcel came back to me by a polite young man. Apart from this, I have nothing but praise for Australia Post.

Reactions: Observer and Macarj

Feel better now after that rant?
I have a lot of parcels delivered. The couple that I had to query were from independent delivery services.
Incidentally I lived in US for 12 months. Their service had its gliches too.

One of my delivery drivers writes of cards, leaves them in the letter box and returns the items to the PO for the customer to pick up the at a later time. Great delivery service.
I actually went to our local federal member to get this sorted. There are 60 houses here and the delivery driver refused to deliver the items that we paid delivery for. It was a 25k round trip to the post offie. So far it seems to have worked - but we will see