Solo Living: Eating Healthy and Within Your Budget

As the number of single-person households in Australia continues to grow in size, many Aussies find themselves having difficulties when it comes to preparing and cooking meals for one.

Cooking for oneself can prove to be quite a challenge, especially for seniors and older adults who may have chronic conditions, dietary restrictions, and budget constraints.

Thankfully, there are several ways to save money on grocery expenses without having to sacrifice nutrition.

You, too, can eat healthily and stay frugal at the same time. Here are some tips!

6o2-uz8JuKmSVbql8M8_EMYjhk18erNGaVxvoVKeRd7ke93zRQtaf1IkktvSXEkaTp1eM4twvm88mc-I2CTRrWg53TLy8rQDa8FOOo6oqMahxeVynIgXR0iOGThswjyXB88Qosob

Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto.

1. Plan ahead / Make a grocery list

You've probably heard this overly-simple tip a hundred times already, but one of the best things you can start doing (if you're not already) before you go for your weekly shop is making a menu plan and grocery list.

Whether it is written on paper or in the Notes app on your phone, a grocery list can help you keep track of your expenses and avoid overspending, especially when you get a little too excited in the snack aisle…

If you're not sure where to begin, you can start by taking notes of what you currently have on hand. Check your pantry, fridge, and even the freezer, so that you would know what you need to pick up at the store.

Not only will this help streamline your grocery trip, but it will also save you money by keeping you from buying things you don't need or won't use. And as an added bonus, it helps you cut down on food waste too!

2. Know where and when to shop

Now that you have your meal plan and grocery list ready, it's also important to know where and when to shop to score the most deals and bargains.

Deciding where to get your groceries can be based on your own preferences (location, parking, ambience, customer service, etc.) but if you want to make the most out of your shop, you should also consider other money-saving factors such as the deals and discounts they offer, and any useful loyalty programs.

3. Buy your protein in bulk, but limit your fresh produce

When you live alone, it's only smart and practical to shop in bulk. However, this advice does not always apply to every grocery item, such as fresh produce.

Protein sources are much easier to buy and store in bulk. Cartons of eggs are cheap, while larger packs of meat such as chicken, mince, and pork can be cut up and divided into pieces. Simply pop them into freezer bags to store.

On the other hand, bulk-buying fresh produce is not always recommended. As one person, it can be tough to get through a whole bunch of fruits and veggies before they go bad.

But this doesn't mean that you should cross them out of your grocery list altogether! Just be sure to only buy that amount you know you can consume.

For some tips on how to keep your fruits and veggies fresh for longer click this hyperlink.

6s-BejIA4A8XjzkZWSEbgiG-o8YlpW1in23eLyxVgBfMo6_eiz0D6wi9_IrtW6pxt6tuBM2HaWoszVZF7mlFXATFDiiw-ujV-7d7uU3XQDl333Z_N8bwMzYJrhOncuFZZSCRZJf-

Credit: Cleveland Clinic Health Essentials.

4. Meal prepping is the key

When you live alone, preparing the whole kitchen just for one meal can be extremely time-consuming. Not to mention, you have to wash the dishes and clean the utensils after, too.

If you don't want to give up on enjoying homemade meals, meal prepping is the way to go. Batch cooking meals and freezing them later is a godsend method for people who don’t have much time (or energy) to spend in the kitchen.

Plus, meal prepping can also save you from ordering takeaway whenever you're too tired (or lazy, we get it) to make your own food.

We've written an article before talking about the wonders of meal prepping, so you might also want to check that out.

5. Halve recipes / Use leftovers

Most recipes out there on the internet usually gear towards feeding a whole family, leaving those who are living alone having to adjust the recipe.

So to avoid having an insane amount of leftovers whenever you follow a recipe you found online, there is a simple trick you can do instead – just halve the recipe!

If a recipe is meant for four people, divide it by only using half of the required measurements. (If a recipe is meant for six people, divide the measurements by three.)

This way, you would only make the number of servings you want and can consume, with a little bit remaining for leftovers, which can be reheated and consumed the next day. Just save the rest of the ingredients for another use!

1Zn6xqoYESPY3_S4LEuduDVKKcUNsqOYmGKxyIuf_S2YRVtoSrGXLM9nTUiND1FXzzmbysT5EpBN1SUrovAzCR8ZfjwS906t7NugMmlx_0OjS2ACSEeR08snswymDqGMHFtm5nQ0

Credit: The Green Creator.

6. Go plant-based on some days

Now that we're still on the topic of recipes, another way you can save on grocery expenses is by eating more plant-based meals.

Since meat prices have been steadily increasing these past few weeks, more and more Aussies are incorporating vegan and vegetarian protein sources, like beans and legumes, into their diet. Not only are they super affordable, but they are also packed with essential nutrients.

Some also suggest swapping out your usual milk and replacing it with oat milk. It lasts longer in the fridge than dairy, meaning you can buy it less often!

7. Set aside a budget for dine-outs and deliveries

Of course, eating healthily and within your budget does not mean that you totally have to give up some guilty pleasures in life. You can be frugal and STILL dine out!

Once in a while, you can set aside a budget that you can use whenever you're craving restaurant food. Just be mindful that you don't overspend.

Happiness is part of being healthy, but don't forget to treat yourself!

We hope this article has been helpful in some small way to you, members – especially to our folks out there who are living alone!

If you have more solo-living tips and advice you want to share with us, don't hesitate to leave them in the comments below!

Sponsored
I have lived alone since 2004.
It was hard at first to cut down on the shopping ....old habits.....
I decided very early on not to buy takeaway on my own.
I thought it would be too easy to become a habit.....too tired, too late, there's no food in the house, I'm running late so need something quick....etc etc....all sorts or reasons to not cook myself.
So .....I may only have takeaway when my son comes home. I haven't seen him for 3 years, so the expense on takeaway has been zilch.
When he does come home, he always requests his favourite home cooked meals, so I still don't get takeaways.
I've not broken my rule......

If I cook a recipe that serves four, I cook the whole thing. One serve tonight, a second goes into the 'frig for tomorrow night and two go into ziplock bags in the freezer. Then I can open the freezer and pick, beef, chicken or tuna from the supply depending on what side dish I'm having. Mostly steamed vegies but Chili Con Carne goes good with rice and Satay Chicken goes good with noodles.

If I cook a recipe that serves four, I cook the whole thing. One serve tonight, a second goes into the 'frig for tomorrow night and two go into ziplock bags in the freezer. Then I can open the freezer and pick, beef, chicken or tuna from the supply depending on what side dish I'm having. Mostly steamed vegies but Chili Con Carne goes good with rice and Satay Chicken goes good with noodles.
I do this too.

I use a lot of frozen veggies in my cooking. That way I don't have the worry of things going bad before I get round to using them, and I can easily portion them. I only really use fresh in my soups and stews which I make in bulk in the slow cooker.:)

Reactions: JayKay
I also do this.

Reactions: Ricci
I use a lot of frozen veggies in my cooking. That way I don't have the worry of things going bad before I get round to using them, and I can easily portion them. I only really use fresh in my soups and stews which I make in bulk in the slow cooker.:)
Me too, Ricci. Fresh potato but frozen cauliflower and broccoli. I steam them so they retain the goodness.

Reactions: Ricci