Soda Water Scones

I dont know about you but With the cold weather I'm always looking at something to have with my cuppa and these scones are the perfect thing.

The secret to making these so light is the soda water.
Im happy to leave out the jam n cream at the end and just eat them spread with butter.

soda-water-scones-165392-2.jpg

Ingredients

• 450g (3 cups) self-raising flour

• 1 tbsp caster sugar

• Pinch of salt

• 180ml (3/4 cup) pouring cream

• extra pouring cream, to brush

• 180ml (3/4 cup) soda water

• Strawberry jam, to serve

• Whipped cream, to serve
Method

• Step 1
    Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan forced and line a large baking tray with baking paper.

• Step 2
    Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the cream and soda water. Use a flat-bladed knife to mix until just combined. Gather the dough together and transfer to a lightly floured benchtop. Gently knead until just smooth. Press out to 2cm thick disc.

• Step 3
    Use a 6cm round cutter to cut 12 rounds from the dough. Cut as close together as possible – the less re-rolling of offcuts the better.

• Step 4
    Place the scones, just touching, on the prepared tray and brush the tops lightly with extra cream. Bake for 15 minutes until risen and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

• Step 5
    Serve the scones with jam and cream.

Sponsored
I dont know about you but With the cold weather I'm always looking at something to have with my cuppa and these scones are the perfect thing.

Im happy to leave out the jam n cream at the end and just eat them spread with butter.

View attachment 23834

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp caster sugar

• Pinch of salt

Method

• Step 1
    Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan forced and line a large baking tray with baking paper.

• Step 2
    Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the cream and soda water. Use a flat-bladed knife to mix until just combined. Gather the dough together and transfer to a lightly floured benchtop. Gently knead until just smooth. Press out to 2cm thick disc.

• Step 3
    Use a 6cm round cutter to cut 12 rounds from the dough. Cut as close together as possible – the less re-rolling of offcuts the better.

• Step 4
    Place the scones, just touching, on the prepared tray and brush the tops lightly with extra cream. Bake for 15 minutes until risen and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

• Step 5
This recipe was written by @Tracy Rutherford Food Writer for Taste. We must just give credit for recipes where credit is due.
https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/soda-water-scones-recipe/lrbml3dj
But thanks for the recipe @Suzanne rose

This recipe was written by @Tracy Rutherford Food Writer for Taste. We must just give credit for recipes where credit is due.
Did you know she actually got the recipe from someone else. When I first made this recipe I was looking for other scone recipes and found this exact recipe printed years before Taste posted it.
Taste actually take recipes from other people and don't give credit sometimes they change it slightly.

I'm only sharing recipes I love , have made and are either mine or my family's favourite.

If I was paid to share these recipes I would give credit, it's not a business it's me sharing because I want to share . I don't need to spend my time posting these but I do so others may enjoy .
It all about sharing and helping others

Last edited:

View attachment 23834

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp caster sugar

• Pinch of salt

Method

• Step 1

• Step 2

• Step 3

• Step 4

• Step 5
I might even try these scones. The ones I made in the past were, to put it mildly, solid.

• Love
Reactions: Granny*Deb
I have never tried using soda water in my scones and am keen to give this a go - thank you Suzanne for ALL your delicious recipes and tips :)

Reactions: Suzanne rose
I might even try these scones. The ones I made in the past were, to put it mildly,
I use soda water or mineral water in alot of recipes .
Use sparkling mineral water when making cake, waffles, pancakes ect The sparkling water causes cakes to rise better and results in a fluffier texture. Try it too when making crepe and pancake recipes. Replace half of the milk in the recipe for spring water for a improved texture. You’ll be thrilled with the light and airy result

Also scone dough is better not played with too long . That's why it states to cut your circle close together , the less rolling the lighter the scone

Who really cares - it says the recipe was written by TraceyR, food writer! - did she make the scones? The recipes for scones are great and every person has them turn out differently - with the soda water - that sounds great suzanne, to have them light - means i could have more than one!
with jam and cream or Butter:_) Thankyou for sharing and helping others to make a perfect Aussie Scone!

Last edited:
Did you know she actually got the recipe from someone else. When I first made this recipe I was looking for other scone recipes and found this exact recipe printed years before Taste posted it.
Taste actually take recipes from other people and don't give credit sometimes they change it slightly.

I'm only sharing recipes I love , have made and are either mine or my family's favourite.

If I was paid to share these recipes I would give credit, it's not a business it's me sharing because I want to share . I don't need to spend my time posting these but I do so others may enjoy .
It all about sharing and helping others
Thankyou Suzanne for sharing and helping others, to make the perfect light Aussie Scone:)

View attachment 23834

Ingredients

• 1 tbsp caster sugar

• Pinch of salt

Method

• Step 1

• Step 2

• Step 3

• Step 4

• Step 5
😋 yummy, making them tomorrow 😋