Social media users claim youth crime is out of control — What's the solution?

This was the question posed by one Reddit user, after witnessing youths vandalising property in a small town in regional NSW.

The original poster (OP) described how three young boys, aged between 8 and 12, threw outdoor furniture, alcohol and soft drinks all over the cars and accommodation in a motel car park.

When the police were called, they allegedly refused to approach the boys, citing the risk of them getting hit by a car while running away.

The OP was left horrified, questioning how these boys could be allowed to get away with such behaviour with no repercussions.

Many commenters agreed that the police had failed in their duty to protect the community.

One user pointed to the group mentality of young people, saying that they are rarely alone when engaging in criminal behaviour.

"A big part of this is the group mentality and peer pressure," they wrote. "I work with teenagers at risk of engaging in crime or have already engaged in crime. I can tell you that they almost never engage in crime by themselves."

DUTGGm-Nu2zh5w20WBldbRcJ-NBxgGE6UnHUod12R7_8Xt2RSvS7bTAJhf0tHW4HdFTJheRbQkCE0haJ9uXZzYdRIob2Z14-ReTbxN0FFlC-0VkLZtElgfDpRrc-n-RKiGPEYG7iJY8yJmPbDg

Image Source: Shutterstock. Reddit users aired their frustration over the rising cases of vandalism and other mischievous acts performed by the youth.

Others suggested that the root cause of the problem was boredom and a lack of opportunities for young people in small towns.

"Kids in small towns have nothing to do, no structure and don't want to be at home," wrote one user. "The fact that they are drinking, I think the parents don't care or don't know how to care. They likely grew up doing the same thing."

Some commenters argued that the real issue here was the parents of these young boys.

"Their parents are the villains here, and even they are probably a product of poverty, abuse and marginalisation," wrote one user.

So what is the solution?

Some commenters suggested that more needs to be done to provide positive role models and mentors for young people.

One user described how, in one Nordic country, a ramping up of social activities for kids led to a reduction in youth drinking and smoking rates, as well as crime and violence.

Others suggested that taking matters into one's own hands was the only way to get results. One user recounted how they had chased a group of young boys who were breaking into cars on their street, and had not seen them since.

"I decided to take things into my own hands and really give them a good scare. Chased them down and acted like I was going to beat their arses," they wrote. "I know, pretty stupid... but it was a scare tactic. And it worked."

Ultimately, it seems there is no easy answer to this problem, as the video below shows:

But one thing is for sure - something needs to be done to protect the safety of our communities.

What do you think is the best way to deal with youth crime? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: Ezzy, Ricci and BJM
Sponsored
These kids are ruling the roast here and there must be stricter rules instead of getting a slap on the wrist they should be dealt with in a harsher way, even if it means putting them in a detention centre and allow the police to do their jobs correctly. The kids today do not know respect and they have to learn the hard way

These kids are ruling the roast here and there must be stricter rules instead of getting a slap on the wrist they should be dealt with in a harsher way, even if it means putting them in a detention centre and allow the police to do their jobs correctly. The kids today do not know respect and they have to learn the hard way
,,,, the roost, my dear.

This was the question posed by one Reddit user, after witnessing youths vandalising property in a small town in regional NSW.

The original poster (OP) described how three young boys, aged between 8 and 12, threw outdoor furniture, alcohol and soft drinks all over the cars and accommodation in a motel car park.

When the police were called, they allegedly refused to approach the boys, citing the risk of them getting hit by a car while running away.

The OP was left horrified, questioning how these boys could be allowed to get away with such behaviour with no repercussions.

Many commenters agreed that the police had failed in their duty to protect the community.

One user pointed to the group mentality of young people, saying that they are rarely alone when engaging in criminal behaviour.

"A big part of this is the group mentality and peer pressure," they wrote. "I work with teenagers at risk of engaging in crime or have already engaged in crime. I can tell you that they almost never engage in crime by themselves."

DUTGGm-Nu2zh5w20WBldbRcJ-NBxgGE6UnHUod12R7_8Xt2RSvS7bTAJhf0tHW4HdFTJheRbQkCE0haJ9uXZzYdRIob2Z14-ReTbxN0FFlC-0VkLZtElgfDpRrc-n-RKiGPEYG7iJY8yJmPbDg

Image Source: Shutterstock. Reddit users aired their frustration over the rising cases of vandalism and other mischievous acts performed by the youth.

Others suggested that the root cause of the problem was boredom and a lack of opportunities for young people in small towns.

"Kids in small towns have nothing to do, no structure and don't want to be at home," wrote one user. "The fact that they are drinking, I think the parents don't care or don't know how to care. They likely grew up doing the same thing."

Some commenters argued that the real issue here was the parents of these young boys.

"Their parents are the villains here, and even they are probably a product of poverty, abuse and marginalisation," wrote one user.

So what is the solution?

Some commenters suggested that more needs to be done to provide positive role models and mentors for young people.

One user described how, in one Nordic country, a ramping up of social activities for kids led to a reduction in youth drinking and smoking rates, as well as crime and violence.

Others suggested that taking matters into one's own hands was the only way to get results. One user recounted how they had chased a group of young boys who were breaking into cars on their street, and had not seen them since.

"I decided to take things into my own hands and really give them a good scare. Chased them down and acted like I was going to beat their arses," they wrote. "I know, pretty stupid... but it was a scare tactic. And it worked."

Ultimately, it seems there is no easy answer to this problem, as the video below shows:

But one thing is for sure - something needs to be done to protect the safety of our communities.

What do you think is the best way to deal with youth crime? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Lock them up for awhile, awhile being more than a few months, lock em up for a year or more and if necessary scare them in big peoples gaol, it seems they have no respect or concern with Juvi!, show them what happens to criminals in the real world, not their little children's world!.

Reactions: Ricci and Jennie
If the parents can't or won't punish their kids and keep them in line then punish the parents. How many parents would want to go to jail for something their kids did? Not many I bet.

Reactions: Thecheesequeen

So what is the solution?

I do not go along with scare tactics as mentioned here. This person was very lucky because if one of these youths decided to follow this person to their home, who knows what the repercussions may have been both to themselves, family & property given the damage they were already doing.

Something does need to be done for sure. Does this start with a talk to these youth & ask them what they want or need to stop the boredom or do authorities continue to structure activities for them which they themselves believe will work because that is what all the books written say they should do?

Reactions: Ricci
I'm sorry, call me old school but a clip around the ears when the kids were young would have gone a long way to stopping this behavior developing. The kids these days know that there is no comeback, no appreciable punishment, just a pat on the head and send them on. Kids needs boundaries, They need clear guidelines and sometimes these guidelines need to be knocked in. I'm not suggesting a thrashing, just a short sharp smack, either on the bum or back of the legs. It does wonders for focusing the attention. Lets face it, I bet the majority of us at SDC have had a smack or two growing up, I know I did and I soon learnt what I could get away with and what I couldn't. Unfortunately the social experiment that was to coddle the kids, spoil them rotten, and talk nicely to them has failed this generation spectacularly. it needs to be revised before the next generation of kids is even worse.

Reactions: Ezzy
I'm sorry, call me old school but a clip around the ears when the kids were young would have gone a long way to stopping this behavior developing. The kids these days know that there is no comeback, no appreciable punishment, just a pat on the head and send them on. Kids needs boundaries, They need clear guidelines and sometimes these guidelines need to be knocked in. I'm not suggesting a thrashing, just a short sharp smack, either on the bum or back of the legs. It does wonders for focusing the attention. Lets face it, I bet the majority of us at SDC have had a smack or two growing up, I know I did and I soon learnt what I could get away with and what I couldn't. Unfortunately the social experiment that was to coddle the kids, spoil them rotten, and talk nicely to them has failed this generation spectacularly. it needs to be revised before the next generation of kids is even worse.
I agree with what you are saying Ricci & my bro & l came in for plenty of those smacks on the bum, sometimes excessive, & many unnecessarily, but parents have to careful these days with how far they go because they could have the Child Welfare agencies knocking on their door. Sometimes the complaint may not come from the Child who has been smacked but from a friend who has been told who then reports this to a teacher at school or a school counsellor.

(My bro & l grew up hating our parents for the treatment, both physical & emotional, received as children. Our younger sister however never suffered from this).

I can recall seeing on t.v. here in W.A. documentations where these youth have been sent to Bush Camps & introduced to real criminals in a prison who spoke to them of life in prison including rape by other prisoners. I recall this talk did put the wind up them but without any follow-up there is no way of knowing the outcome.

In the English version of these camps l recall the offenders were in a facility far removed from civilization, lived by strict rules & performed daily duties under strict supervision. Unlike a real prison, all mail from home was withheld for a period of time which made an impact on individuals & they had no visits. The people in charge also acted as Counsellors where the need arose. The only time they saw family was when then came to take their child home.

Even a prisoner has access to the State or Federal Ombudsman if they are not happy with treatment. These letters normally leave an institution uncensored unlike normal mail.

Would a change in State or Federal law need to be passed to enact these camps or other?

I agree with you 100%, they need to be taken out of society if they can't behave themselves.