S

Sean Camara

Social media slams GP for hitting patient who waited for over an hour with a $50 “cancellation fee”

Social media users were fuming after one Aussie was hit with a $50 'cancellation fee' after being kept waiting for over an hour at the GP.

We've all been there. You book a GP appointment for 1.30pm on a Friday afternoon, check in 10 minutes early, and are told by the receptionist that you might have a short wait, but not too bad.

45 minutes later, you're still sitting there. The receptionist apologises and says something unexpected came up, and has caused a delay. 2.30pm rolls around and you have to leave, you tell the receptionist again, he goes and checks with the doctor, comes back and says "5 minutes he will be right to see you" so you hang around, hoping traffic won't be too bad.

10 minutes later, still nothing.

hW3f-wwa-9O8zyQMLTBBoA2PTXOycq90Vtdv-G4B9HOe3QGKfb-Akw97fFPOozOPRHX5rxshwScTLgAhL9uPSpBQCuXzsJJPPgDCZkmw1eJ6KLLxBwofsKVDxnzRyz_t9pICx4R0Ya1Yl8CX

We’ve all experienced waiting and queuing for hours at the GP. Credit: Todd Bigelow Photography.

So you apologise to the receptionist for bugging him for the last 70 minutes, but you have to go, you can't leave your young son at school with no one to pick him up. You ask if you can change your appointment to a telehealth and the doctor can call you while you're driving. He says this is not possible, this doctor will not do telehealth.

You call back the next morning to reschedule another appointment, only to find that they are slugging you with a $50 cancellation fee for the appointment you 'missed'.

rPUA3VeGzpN2oXgzPWzSydHHUHVSPyPME_qRDt94MmY0g6XyD7yqLExIi--xm33FfWzpoBW-f695lXdRHwRKksw0eaDzb4zPZ5wIv4vmxPCrPmKh7kfJJgAnDdgRAxD-Qokvg7nrfQpxWAts

Social media users scrutinised the act, with many calling out the clinic for making the patient wait for over an hour before cancelling the appointment and demanding a cancellation fee. Credit: Alicia Canter/The Guardian.

Social media users have taken to Reddit to share their thoughts on the matter, with many saying that a wait time of 70 minutes is just too long.

One user said: "Call them and demand to speak to the practice manager. Tell them that you did not miss the appointment and you were there ten minutes early and waited over an hour. It's them that missed the appointment, not you, and as such, you should not be charged." (a second user added: "Slug them with a $50 cancellation fee, and a $25 administration fee.")

Another said: "GP here. Just no. That’s rude and disrespectful of your time. Dispute the charge and point out the incredible inconvenience to you that you wasted your time and didn’t get your referrals. If they won’t listen then don’t pay and change practices to somewhere that respects you and your time. I get that things come up but anything more than 30 mins over is pretty poor. I do things like book out catch up slots and clearly communicate if I’m running late. There aren’t many good excuses for running 70 mins late other than a critical incident, and even then communication could be better. Ugh. No."

But not everyone was sympathetic, with one user writing: "OP (referring to the 'Original Poster'), could you tell us what would your post be if you were kicked out after the 15 min consult undiagnosed and unhelped because the doctor in your imaginary world is more concerned about a perfect schedule than taking time to listen and provide the best service they can?"

Another added: "You sound super out of touch and childish about how the world works. I think you need to do more thinking than posting online. Book an early appointment next time."

One user was more circumspect. "I guess it depends... I'm in a pretty rural area and our doctor is always flooded, so personally I wouldn't make an appointment if I had somewhere to be in an hour. A wait time of 70 minutes would be a little frustrating, but definitely not unusual here.

On one hand, I feel like you should have left more time (maybe different if it's a private doctor in a metro area? I'm just speaking from my own experience I guess). Doctors are known for running very behind and having things come up. On the other hand, I still think they should waive the fee for you since you had such a long wait time."

What do you think? Should a doctor be allowed to run 70 minutes late? Or is this an acceptable wait time for a GP appointment? And should the patient be charged a 'cancellation fee' in this instance?

Social media slams GP for hitting patient who waited for over an hour with a $50 “cancellation fee”

Social media users were fuming after one Aussie was hit with a $50 'cancellation fee' after being kept waiting for over an hour at the GP.

We've all been there. You book a GP appointment for 1.30pm on a Friday afternoon, check in 10 minutes early, and are told by the receptionist that you might have a short wait, but not too bad.

45 minutes later, you're still sitting there. The receptionist apologises and says something unexpected came up, and has caused a delay. 2.30pm rolls around and you have to leave, you tell the receptionist again, he goes and checks with the doctor, comes back and says "5 minutes he will be right to see you" so you hang around, hoping traffic won't be too bad.

hW3f-wwa-9O8zyQMLTBBoA2PTXOycq90Vtdv-G4B9HOe3QGKfb-Akw97fFPOozOPRHX5rxshwScTLgAhL9uPSpBQCuXzsJJPPgDCZkmw1eJ6KLLxBwofsKVDxnzRyz_t9pICx4R0Ya1Yl8CX

We’ve all experienced waiting and queuing for hours at the GP. Credit: Todd Bigelow Photography.

So you apologise to the receptionist for bugging him for the last 70 minutes, but you have to go, you can't leave your young son at school with no one to pick him up. You ask if you can change your appointment to a telehealth and the doctor can call you while you're driving. He says this is not possible, this doctor will not do telehealth.

You call back the next morning to reschedule another appointment, only to find that they are slugging you with a $50 cancellation fee for the appointment you 'missed'.

rPUA3VeGzpN2oXgzPWzSydHHUHVSPyPME_qRDt94MmY0g6XyD7yqLExIi--xm33FfWzpoBW-f695lXdRHwRKksw0eaDzb4zPZ5wIv4vmxPCrPmKh7kfJJgAnDdgRAxD-Qokvg7nrfQpxWAts

Social media users scrutinised the act, with many calling out the clinic for making the patient wait for over an hour before cancelling the appointment and demanding a cancellation fee. Credit: Alicia Canter/The Guardian.

Social media users have taken to Reddit to share their thoughts on the matter, with many saying that a wait time of 70 minutes is just too long.

One user said: "Call them and demand to speak to the practice manager. Tell them that you did not miss the appointment and you were there ten minutes early and waited over an hour. It's them that missed the appointment, not you, and as such, you should not be charged." (a second user added: "Slug them with a $50 cancellation fee, and a $25 administration fee.")

Another said: "GP here. Just no. That’s rude and disrespectful of your time. Dispute the charge and point out the incredible inconvenience to you that you wasted your time and didn’t get your referrals. If they won’t listen then don’t pay and change practices to somewhere that respects you and your time. I get that things come up but anything more than 30 mins over is pretty poor. I do things like book out catch up slots and clearly communicate if I’m running late. There aren’t many good excuses for running 70 mins late other than a critical incident, and even then communication could be better. Ugh. No."

But not everyone was sympathetic, with one user writing: "OP (referring to the 'Original Poster'), could you tell us what would your post be if you were kicked out after the 15 min consult undiagnosed and unhelped because the doctor in your imaginary world is more concerned about a perfect schedule than taking time to listen and provide the best service they can?"

Another added: "You sound super out of touch and childish about how the world works. I think you need to do more thinking than posting online. Book an early appointment next time."

One user was more circumspect. "I guess it depends... I'm in a pretty rural area and our doctor is always flooded, so personally I wouldn't make an appointment if I had somewhere to be in an hour. A wait time of 70 minutes would be a little frustrating, but definitely not unusual here.

On one hand, I feel like you should have left more time (maybe different if it's a private doctor in a metro area? I'm just speaking from my own experience I guess). Doctors are known for running very behind and having things come up. On the other hand, I still think they should waive the fee for you since you had such a long wait time."

What do you think? Should a doctor be allowed to run 70 minutes late? Or is this an acceptable wait time for a GP appointment? And should the patient be charged a 'cancellation fee' in this instance?
This is the fault of GP's overbooking especially if it is a bulk bill clinic. Patients are only allowed a certain amount of time per consultation which is never enough and then as a consequence are always playing catch up and running late. You had plenty of time for your appointment if the GP had been on time so it is not your fault. I would challenge the $50 charge in writing and ask for an explanation. Next maybe contact your local member of parliament.

Reactions: Benw

Definitely NO. Doctors need to realize we also have lives and schedules. What a cheek to charge a cancellation fee.

Reactions: Benw and Zoya
I find, as a general rule, the later in the day your appointment, the longer you wait. It's not really the doctors fault as so many patients ask for a short consultation and then come with a laundry list of ailments and complaints. If I have an afternoon appointment I never turn up on time, sometimes I'm 15 minutes late but the Doctor is never ready for me anyway. However, under no circumstances would I pay for a missed appointment if I was in the surgery at the correct time.:(

My doctor regularly runs late, so I call 20 mins before the appointment to find out how late she is running. The Clinic is happy with this.

Reactions: Ricci

The arrogance of this medico and the practice is of gargantuan proportions.
It would appear the when the doctor was studying patient relations, the page of his textbook must have fallen out. Same with the practice manager. Both need a lesson in humble.

Receptionist at doctors need to be more forthcoming about wait times. Recently because of a pain in the side of my face I left home as soon as I woke and dressed (no breakfast) and drove 25 kms to Caboolture to see a doctor. The first medical centre said I could be seen at 4.30 pm that day. The next medical centre suggested that there would be a long wait. That was about 9.00 am. Kept asking how long during afternoon. I was seen after 5.00 pm. I then found out that only one doctor was on duty and that patients without appointments were seen last no matter how long they had been waiting. No mention of this on arrival. I was prescribed antibiotics and pain killers but it took about 8 hour wait.

• Wow
Reactions: JayKay and Ricci

I was left waiting 2 hours one time...everyone gone home.....found Dr on computer...told him 2 hrs was too long and would not be returning.....and that I was not a Number..
I changed my Dr.......this one Not so bad...alas 15 minutes is all you have.....too bad if you wanted to ask a question...

• Sad