Small Item, Big Disappointment: Kmart's shipping error draws flak on social media

As consumers, we are becoming more conscious of the impact our shopping habits have on the environment. We all want to do our part in reducing our carbon footprint and contributing to a more sustainable future.

To achieve this, we have made several changes, such as reducing our use of single-use plastics. We have started bringing our reusable shopping bags, water bottles, and containers, and even opting for products with minimal packaging.

These may seem small, but they can have a significant impact on the environment, preventing plastic waste from ending up in landfills and oceans.

Despite our efforts, though, there are still some challenges we face in our eco-friendly journey.

It can be disheartening to see big retailers still using excessive amounts of packaging, making it difficult to avoid plastic waste altogether. It's not uncommon to come across online purchases that have unnecessary layers of plastic wrapping.

Just take a look at this recent example: a Kmart shopper who received a package that seemed to have an excessive amount of plastic.

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 10.36.50 AM.png
A Kmart shopper received a large box filled with plastic wrap to protect the tiny padlock. Credit: Facebook.

In a Facebook post, a Kmart shopper shared her recent experience of ordering a tiny 20mm combination padlock from the discount department store.

To her surprise, when the product arrived on February 13, it came in an unnecessarily large cardboard box, filled with plastic wrap to 'protect' the item. The small padlock was sitting at the bottom of the large box, making the excessive packaging seem even more ridiculous.

It's frustrating to see retailers disregard eco-friendliness and opt for excessive packaging, especially when it comes to small items. Not only is it wasteful, but it's also unnecessary and can be avoided.

Kmart fans were shocked and disappointed to see the excessive packaging that a small item came in, with many taking to social media to express their frustration. Some were left questioning why such a small padlock required so much protection during shipping, while others were quick to criticise the store's wastefulness.

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 10.36.43 AM.png
More and more Aussies are reducing their reliance on single-use plastics. Credit: Pexels/cottonbro studio.

To make matters worse, it's not just this one shopper who has received a small item in a large box. Many have experienced similar situations where a single item is shipped in an oversized box, wasting resources and adding unnecessary plastic waste.

'This happened to us recently with a car air freshener,' commented a fellow Kmart shopper.

'Yeah, they keep sending me one item in a stupidly big box. I'd be much more appreciative of multiple items jammed into a big box to stop wastage or happy to wait for all items to be ready together,' added another.

After the Kmart shopper's post gained traction on social media, a spokesperson for the company responded to a news source, acknowledging the complaints about the excessive packaging.

The spokesperson mentioned that the complaints had been shared with the online team, who will review the way they manage and replenish packaging materials.

They also apologised and explained that the team member who packed the order did not have access to the most appropriate packaging options and used what was available to pack and dispatch the order quickly.
Key Takeaways

• A Kmart shopper received a small 20mm combination padlock in a large cardboard box with plastic wrap to protect it.
  • The packaging prompted shocked reactions from other Kmart shoppers, who said it was a waste of resources and called it 'ridiculous'.
  • A Kmart spokesperson said they will review their packing processes and try to use more appropriately sized packaging components in the future.
Many of us can relate to situations where we are in a hurry and don't have access to the resources we need to make the most eco-friendly choices.

Understandably, mistakes can happen, and it's positive to see Kmart acknowledging the issue and taking steps to address it.

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 10.36.36 AM.png
We can all do our part in making sustainable choices and encouraging retailers to do the same. Credit: Unsplash/Photo Boards.

We can also play a role in encouraging retailers to use more sustainable practices by voicing our concerns and making conscious choices.

By shopping from eco-friendly brands and opting for products with minimal packaging, we can help create a culture of sustainability and encourage businesses to follow suit.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you shop online frequently, and have you had any similar delivery experiences? Maybe you received a small item in an unnecessarily large box, or perhaps your order was damaged during shipping.

Whatever your experience may be, we want to hear about it! Share your thoughts in the comments below and let's have a conversation about the importance of sustainable packaging and reducing waste in online shopping.

Sponsored
I've received on many times very large boxes with only a small item in it the last one was when kmart sent my 2nd part of my order which was a colouring book and that came in a huge box which felt totally empty.
Kmart has to have a thing with Australia post because when ever I post an item in a box and a small box at that they measure it and it cost so much more posting in a box rather than a small satchel.

Pity they never packed my vases this way. I had ordered 10 vases to use on tables for a party and 6 of them arrived either completely broken or cracked

As consumers, we are becoming more conscious of the impact our shopping habits have on the environment. We all want to do our part in reducing our carbon footprint and contributing to a more sustainable future.

To achieve this, we have made several changes, such as reducing our use of single-use plastics. We have started bringing our reusable shopping bags, water bottles, and containers, and even opting for products with minimal packaging.

These may seem small, but they can have a significant impact on the environment, preventing plastic waste from ending up in landfills and oceans.

Despite our efforts, though, there are still some challenges we face in our eco-friendly journey.

It can be disheartening to see big retailers still using excessive amounts of packaging, making it difficult to avoid plastic waste altogether. It's not uncommon to come across online purchases that have unnecessary layers of plastic wrapping.

Just take a look at this recent example: a Kmart shopper who received a package that seemed to have an excessive amount of plastic.

View attachment 13779
A Kmart shopper received a large box filled with plastic wrap to protect the tiny padlock. Credit: Facebook.

In a Facebook post, a Kmart shopper shared her recent experience of ordering a tiny 20mm combination padlock from the discount department store.

To her surprise, when the product arrived on February 13, it came in an unnecessarily large cardboard box, filled with plastic wrap to 'protect' the item. The small padlock was sitting at the bottom of the large box, making the excessive packaging seem even more ridiculous.

It's frustrating to see retailers disregard eco-friendliness and opt for excessive packaging, especially when it comes to small items. Not only is it wasteful, but it's also unnecessary and can be avoided.

Kmart fans were shocked and disappointed to see the excessive packaging that a small item came in, with many taking to social media to express their frustration. Some were left questioning why such a small padlock required so much protection during shipping, while others were quick to criticise the store's wastefulness.

View attachment 13780
More and more Aussies are reducing their reliance on single-use plastics. Credit: Pexels/cottonbro studio.

To make matters worse, it's not just this one shopper who has received a small item in a large box. Many have experienced similar situations where a single item is shipped in an oversized box, wasting resources and adding unnecessary plastic waste.

'This happened to us recently with a car air freshener,' commented a fellow Kmart shopper.

'Yeah, they keep sending me one item in a stupidly big box. I'd be much more appreciative of multiple items jammed into a big box to stop wastage or happy to wait for all items to be ready together,' added another.

After the Kmart shopper's post gained traction on social media, a spokesperson for the company responded to a news source, acknowledging the complaints about the excessive packaging.

The spokesperson mentioned that the complaints had been shared with the online team, who will review the way they manage and replenish packaging materials.

They also apologised and explained that the team member who packed the order did not have access to the most appropriate packaging options and used what was available to pack and dispatch the order quickly.
Key Takeaways

• A Kmart shopper received a small 20mm combination padlock in a large cardboard box with plastic wrap to protect it.
  • The packaging prompted shocked reactions from other Kmart shoppers, who said it was a waste of resources and called it 'ridiculous'.
  • A Kmart spokesperson said they will review their packing processes and try to use more appropriately sized packaging components in the future.
Many of us can relate to situations where we are in a hurry and don't have access to the resources we need to make the most eco-friendly choices.

Understandably, mistakes can happen, and it's positive to see Kmart acknowledging the issue and taking steps to address it.

View attachment 13781
We can all do our part in making sustainable choices and encouraging retailers to do the same. Credit: Unsplash/Photo Boards.

We can also play a role in encouraging retailers to use more sustainable practices by voicing our concerns and making conscious choices.

By shopping from eco-friendly brands and opting for products with minimal packaging, we can help create a culture of sustainability and encourage businesses to follow suit.

What do you think of this story, members? Do you shop online frequently, and have you had any similar delivery experiences? Maybe you received a small item in an unnecessarily large box, or perhaps your order was damaged during shipping.

Whatever your experience may be, we want to hear about it! Share your thoughts in the comments below and let's have a conversation about the importance of sustainable packaging and reducing waste in online shopping.
The employee's having a giggle! 🤣🤣

It's totally unfair, so many of us try so hard to be environmentally friendly, yet big businesses don't seem to care.
In the early days, it was big businesses that polluted the Yarra River in Victoria, sending tonnes of waste into the river as part of their production.
We are still paying the price.

View attachment 13779

View attachment 13780

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13781

I had the same thing happen. Ordered some lipsticks and eyebrow pencils they came in large boxes. One box had 1 lipstick it. I pay for onepass free delivery but it makes me not want to order online again
Not KMart related but I recently received a parcel from a well known Kitchen shop that just defied logic with the way it was packaged. 3 of the items were sent in the box that the product manufacturer had delivered the items in, they had all been placed at the bottom of a larger box, to protect those well made and sturdy boxes from damage the person packing the box for delivery had added polystyrene pellets so that the boxes would not move during transit, not satisfied with the pellets to do the job plastic air bags were then added to make sure that the product boxes would not move. I swear that an entire roll of packing tape had then been used to totally wrap the delivery box, The damn thing took me over an hour just to open it, Being used to plastic air bags I then removed them and pierced them to let the air out so that I could flatten them. The polystyrene pellets had already begun to spill over the table I was using and to get them out of the box I hand scooped them into a plastic Kitchen bin liner after placing the flattened air bags at the bottom(of the bin liner) the pellets completely filled the liner; the whole opening procedure wasted over 2 hours of my life. 3 months later I am still finding polystyrene pellets on the floor of the kitchen where they had rolled into dark corners. I might add that the items I had ordered were all made of Steel so therefore not breakable; I shudder to think of the intelligence or even commom sense that the packer displayed when getting my order ready for transit, Just WHY !

I have received cat products from Kmart in a huge box, but the box came in handy for me to recycle and use again. They must only have a certain size and a deal with Australia Post?

This is overkill and defies logic. Has happened to me as well but in a much smaller box. Do they only have one size box?
Have a think about what you are saying. It is obvious that the large box is so that the package doesn't lost in transit. Also, the packaging is recyclable - it says this on the packaging.

I had a scarf bought on line that has come with a substantial amount of packaging. I have slit the tape, taken out the minute object and taped the box and put "not at this address" When they have received it and opened it I have included a letter that there was no valid excuse for all the packaging for the scarf. It may not be the same as the USA but I received a bottle of my now deleted perfume from an address in Sydney, the box it was placed in and sent was only fractionally larger than the box the perfume was in, it also stated from recycled material.

View attachment 13779

View attachment 13780

Key Takeaways

View attachment 13781