'Slow down!': ALDI shoppers reveal frustrations toward fellow shoppers

Grocery shopping is a weekly ritual for most of us.

While it can be a mundane task, it's also an opportunity to enjoy the little victories of finding great deals and stocking up on our favourite treats.

However, the experience can sometimes be less than relaxing for many ALDI shoppers.

Let's delve into the grievances that have been stirring up quite the conversation among the ALDI faithful.

The checkout challenge: A race against space

The checkout line at ALDI has become a battleground for space and patience.

One mum voiced her annoyance online and lamented how a pushy customer behind her occupied a conveyor belt while she paid off her items.

'The most frustrating thing about ALDI for me is when the person in line behind you decides to start putting their groceries on and doesn't leave you not enough room for your stuff!' she exclaimed.

This sparked a flurry of comments from others who shared similar experiences of feeling rushed during checkout.

compressed-shopping.jpeg
Shoppers may encounter different people in supermarkets and shopping centres, which may lead to some frustration. Image Credit: Pexels/Wallace Chuck

The race to unload groceries onto the conveyor belt has become a common source of tension.

Shoppers reported others moving their items without permission, leading to heated exchanges.

'If I see this happening when I'm working, I always try to loudly ask, "Do you have enough space for all your groceries?" The person behind will almost always put their stuff down embarrassingly,' an ALDI worker jumped into the conversation.

The checkout process, which should be orderly and stress-free, has become a competitive sport for some, with shoppers employing various strategies to claim their space.

The art of grocery etiquette: Lost and found

Grocery shopping etiquette is a dying art as shoppers reported various behaviours that can make the experience less than pleasant.

'Another thing that irks me is people who just don't bother to put the divider down, especially when it's next to them. Does that mean you'll pay for my shopping too, as I'm just going to start adding it on?' another shopper asked online.

One shopper brought up a scenario of having a few items.

'There's nothing worse than someone in front of you with a full trolley, and you only have a couple of items, and the person in front doesn't let you go through first. It's rude, for starters, so now I ask the person in front and go through,' a third shopper shared.

Letting someone with fewer items go first is a rare gesture, which can lead to frustration and awkwardness.

ALDI tips and self-service salvation

In response to these checkout challenges, savvy shoppers shared tips to navigate the 'mean streets' of the checkout.

Some suggest leaving a trolley at the end of the conveyor belt to prevent others from unloading prematurely. Others recommend strategically placing groceries to ensure ample space.

The introduction of self-serve checkouts became a game-changer for many, as it offered a way to bypass traditional checkout lines.

This innovation has been welcomed by those who prefer to take their time and avoid the rush, making the shopping experience at ALDI more enjoyable.

The hustle and bustle of grocery shopping can be overwhelming.

Remember that you have every right to take your time and shop at your own pace.

Feel free to assert your space at the checkout and ask for assistance if needed.

After all, shopping should be a pleasure, not a race.
Key Takeaways

• An ALDI shopper's post sparked a debate on checkout etiquette, leading other shoppers to share their experiences.
  • Shoppers shared their frustrations with pushy customers and the unnecessary checkout rush.
  • Shoppers shared strategies for dealing with shopping and checkout challenges.
  • Aside from checkout issues, other grievances included customers not using dividers and not allowing others with fewer items to go first.
Have you encountered similar issues at ALDI or other supermarkets? What are your tips for a smooth and courteous shopping experience? Share your thoughts and stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
My gripe with Aldi is one full service check out operator has to go and sort out the problems of the self serve checkouts. I feel for the Aldi employees, they have to be everywhere. There has been the odd occasion where someone will push in front of me and my support worker, but it is a very rare occasion and if they are in that much of a hurry I give them right of way.

This is why l use the self serve checkout, so l can go at my own pace. When l do go to a manned checkout, l let the person with only a couple of items go before me, what irks me is when the other people behind have a few items and they expect you to let them through also. I want to put my shopping through also.

GRIPE GRIPE get over it its all about me being inconvenied .The staff are doing the best they can with the staff they have.We are all busy be patient and think you are not the most important person on the planet/Having to put up with these trivial winges must be draing on staff ..Time to thank staff for what they do.My local Aldi are pleasant and friendly so suck it up and get over it.

I do let people through before me if they have a few items - but not if they expect it. If they are in such a hurry go to the self checkout - my time is just as valuable as theirs. More than happy to let 2 or 3 go before me if I have a full trolly.

Reactions: Marilynne
Thankfully I have never accounted any of this, I do have a gripe though 😊, if I am in a bit of a hurry and it is busy I can’t use self serve as they are all card only and I only use cash, other than that I can’t complain.

This "in a hurry" issue is at all supermarket checkouts, not just Aldi. When I encounter a pushy customer behind me. I turn my trolley side ways, after I have unloaded my groceries and then I step to the side ( easier to do at Aldi, as they have wider checkout isles). The next customer automatically takes up the space I vacated, as I watch them. My trolley stays in place and when the customer ahead of me has paid and moved away, I then manouvre my trolley in place for loading. They get the message.

Reactions: janj
Living on my own my visit is once a fortnight with my weekly cleaner to Aldi, if there is anybody with a few Items we let them go through, I will walk through the checkout and wait for my goods to be checked and I pay for them, Last week I managed to get through and there were 3 customers before my cart, there was a young female doing the checkout and she was so polite and cheerful and the smile never left her face, I wish the manager had been available so I could bring to his attention that he had such a good employee.

Reactions: DiRose and janj
I haven’t had any of these problems. I always unload my trolley from the front though so it’s between me & the customer behind. I always ask the person with a few groceries to go in front too, why keep them waiting 🤷‍♀️.

Reactions: BabsL and relljube
My husband and l shop at Aldies every Saturday. I don't find shopping fun at all due to my disabilities. I am in constant pain and become very tired easily. In saying that. I always say to anyone who only has a few items. Please go first l have done that with at the most 4 people waiting behind us. There is nothing worse when you have a big shop and someone comes along with an arm full of items. Just be kind and say please go ahead. What is the rush,yes everyone has busy lives but what difference is 5 minutes going to make. And kindness goes a long way. Nobody should feel rushed when going about their shopping. Everyone can only go at their own speed.
Yes Aldies is all about getting customers through as quick as possible, but some people can't go fast due to age disability children what ever. It cost us nothing to show patience and kindness to each other.

Kind regards to all Vicki

As far as letting someone letting you go in front of them because you only have a couple of items whilst they have a trolley load it’s a nice gesture but I certainly don’t expect it but am grateful when it happens to me and I’m then encouraged to pay it forward.

GRIPE GRIPE get over it its all about me being inconvenied .The staff are doing the best they can with the staff they have.We are all busy be patient and think you are not the most important person on the planet/Having to put up with these trivial winges must be draing on staff ..Time to thank staff for what they do.My local Aldi are pleasant and friendly so suck it up and get over it.
Totally agree,do people have nothing better to do than whinge.
And why ALDI, this happens at all supermarkets, not just Aldi.
Also it has nothing to do with the supermarket but comes down to the rude, inconsiderate and pushy customers.
I always let people through if they have only a few items and I am unloading a trolley full.
Some people are not as considerate though. I had a lady who wouldn't let me through with one item even though she was only half way through unpacking her trolley. The checkout chick called me through anyway.
As far as the divider goes I always put one up myself, who cares if the person ahead of you doesn't. For heaven's sake, get a life.

• Love
Reactions: DiRose
Thankfully I have never accounted any of this, I do have a gripe though 😊, if I am in a bit of a hurry and it is busy I can’t use self serve as they are all card only and I only use cash, other than that I can’t complain.
Why are you in a hurry? Can't plan your day efficiently? How about leaving home a few minutes earlier? It would be a fair assumption that you are not in full employment (otherwise you wouldn't be on this website) so why the rush. There are many valid reasons why you could be in a hurry, such as traffic issues, but generally, being "in a hurry" is in one's mind, originating in a sense of self importance.

Just to shit people off, I take up the full width of an escalator or travelator (with a trolley). I've even had people try to force their way past me. A futile exercise.

This post is going to get right up people's nose - its intended purpose! The world is not all about you!

Let the games begin! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: mylittletibbies
Most times when I have only had a couple of items the person in front of me has let me through and I always give a sincere "thank you". I always pull over one of the dividers, even if there is no one behind me when I start. If you are too lazy to put a divider on the belt, the problem belongs to you.

Absolutely agree with you, people are just rude and have no Respect. Calm down people it’s only shopping.

People just have no respect anymore. It’s only shopping people. I will say that Aldi need to have more checkouts open to alleviate this problem. One checkout open yesterday at my local Aldi and 5 lots of people waiting. However I’m patient and not in a hurry so didn’t bother me.

Everybody's always in a hurry these days.
Spent a week interstate with my family recently. Don't get me wrong,I get on great with my daughter in law, but she and my son must be the greatest disorganised people on the planet
Every morning would be a rush to get the kids to school on time, always getting there as the bell is ringing, everybody running around in circles, can't find this and that. Whole problem could be solved by having bags and everything organised the evening before and getting out of bed 30 minutes earlier.
They can never find their car keys, or anything else for that matter. They are late for everything, miss the time line for click and collect order which as they live a long way out of town they pick up when getting the kids from school so end up having to go back into town again for the later pick up.
I needed to come home for a rest.
Adore my totally disorganised family, and can't wait to see them all again next year🥰

• Haha
Reactions: relljube
Yes I agree, there are times when I have only a couple of items and the person in front of you have over 20items and they won't let you go through, I thinks it is so selfish and rude, I always allow people in front of that have lesser items than myself!

I've been pretty lucky I guess because the not-so-many times I visit Aldi I will almost always have just a few items or less and most people have invited me through, or if asked to let me through, have always cooperated!
Most refreshing for an ex country lad where courtesy there was "the norm"