Slithering concerns: New suburb faces chilling encounters with deadly discovery!

Residents in a newly developed Australian suburb are on high alert after alarming reports surfaced about a potentially dangerous discovery in the area.

The unsettling find has sparked concern and raised questions among locals about their safety and the implications for the community.

As authorities investigate the situation, many are left anxious about what this could mean for their families and their neighbourhood.

In the heart of a newly developed Australian suburb, residents were met with a chilling surprise that sent shivers down their spines.

The tranquillity of Marsden Park, a suburb in Sydney's west, was shattered when the presence of one of the world's deadliest snakes turned their peaceful weekend into a scene of fear and caution.

460820807_379716871857408_8075935184119556082_n.jpg
Residents of a new housing development in Marsden Park, Sydney, have been alarmed by sightings of the deadly eastern brown snake. Credit: Facebook / Urban Reptile Removal

As the sun warmed the earth and families began to enjoy the outdoors, the first sign of trouble came in the form of frantic phone calls to Chris Williams, a professional snake handler and owner of Urban Reptile Removal.

‘All the residents were quite new to the area. I got three phone calls in the space of a minute,’ Williams recounted.

The cause of the alarm? An eastern brown snake, a creature known for its lethal venom, was seen darting across backyards, sending the community into a state of high alert.

Marsden Park, once a stretch of farmland, has undergone a dramatic transformation since 2013.

The sprawling fields have been replaced by tightly packed townhouses, a change that has brought humans and wildlife into closer, and sometimes dangerous, proximity.

While seasoned Aussie farmers might shrug off an encounter with an eastern brown snake, the new residents of this suburb were understandably shaken.

‘The first caller was breathlessly panicking…the snake was pretty active and went from one yard to another before sheltering,’ Williams explained.

‘There were 20 pairs of eyes keeping a close watch on it before I got there.’

The tension was palpable as the community watched the snake seek refuge, awaiting the arrival of the expert.

The eastern brown snake is not to be underestimated.

‘Drop for drop, the eastern brown snake is the second most venomous snake in the world, and it’s the species that's responsible for most deaths in Australia,' Williams explained.

‘When I told that to the people in Marsden Park yesterday, you could see their faces went very pale. They didn't realise the significance or the dangers of an animal like that.’

Most snake bites occur when people, in a misguided attempt to be heroes, try to kill or capture the reptiles themselves.

Eastern browns, in particular, are known for their defensive aggression when confronted by potential threats, including humans.

However, it is this very behaviour that makes them somewhat easier for professionals like Williams to handle.

‘Because they’re easily agitated and will readily defend themselves, the Marsden Park snake just flung itself into the bag,’ he narrated, describing the capture.

However, the work of snake catchers like Williams is becoming increasingly complex.

In the suburbs of Australia, where development is rampant, the challenge is not just catching these reptiles but also finding suitable places to release them.

NSW laws protect all native reptiles, and there are strict regulations regarding how far they can be relocated due to their territorial nature.

While pythons can be moved to nearby bushland, the situation with eastern browns is more delicate, requiring a balance between animal welfare and human safety.

‘We’re still going through an enormous development phase out in Western Sydney, where we're not talking about one or two acres, we're seeing the absolute industrial scale redevelopment of hundreds of acres,’ Williams said.

‘So there's plenty of reptiles being displaced.’

The country is grappling with a housing crisis, and the controversial solution of clearing farmland and native forests for new developments is causing localised extinctions of once-common species, including marsupials, birds, and lizards.

Williams himself has observed the tragic consequences: ‘One thing I’m noticing a lot because I'm spending most of my time out in Western Sydney is the amount of kangaroos I'm seeing dead on the road,’ he said, a grim testament to the impact of urban sprawl.

‘I'm quite shocked. I would be seeing maybe 10 every day.’

In the southwest, where development is also rampant, endangered koalas are dying at alarming rates.

On Appin Road alone, 40 koalas have been killed in the last two years.

A parliamentary inquiry has grimly predicted that koalas could be extinct in NSW by 2050, and a government report from May warned that most threatened species in the state could vanish within a century.

There is optimism for species capable of adjusting to the destruction of their habitats.

Williams has highlighted these instances in his book Urban Reptiles, which features 50 different reptiles discovered in Australia's suburban areas.

‘I’m fascinated by the winners and losers of urbanisation,’ he said.

‘When I was releasing the eastern brown snake down a backroad, I saw an eastern bearded dragon dead on the road. They used to be super common across all of western Sydney.’

‘To see one dead on the road is devastating, but it’s also great because it means there’s still a colony there.’

‘On the other hand, eastern water dragons have adapted so well to living among us—they’re the stand-out champions. But the bearded dragons are the polar opposite,’ Williams added.

As concerns over the presence of eastern brown snakes continue to rise among residents in Marsden Park, Sydney, the timing of these sightings coincides with the onset of warmer weather.

With summer approaching, it’s crucial for the community to be aware of the potential increase in snake activity, as the heatwave can trigger early snake season alerts.

Being informed about safety measures and how to coexist with these reptiles is essential to ensure a secure environment for everyone.
Key Takeaways
  • Residents in a new housing development in Marsden Park, Sydney have been unsettled by sightings of the deadly eastern brown snake.
  • Professional snake handler Chris Williams highlighted the danger and prevalence of these venomous snakes in newly urbanised areas.
  • Urbanisation is resulting in displacement of reptiles and other wildlife, with localised extinctions of once-common species.
  • There is hope for certain species that can adapt to urbanisation, as noted in Chris Williams' book, but the rapid development also poses serious threats to Australia's native wildlife.
As we marvel at Australia's unique and diverse environment, it's crucial to remember the delicate balance between development and conservation. The shocking discovery in Marsden Park serves as a stark reminder of the consequences of encroaching on nature's territory. It's a call to action for all of us to consider the impact of our footprint on the world around us and to strive for a future where both humans and wildlife can coexist peacefully.

Sponsored
Wow I know Marsden Park well . I go to the cemetery there.

My daughter and her 3 kids live in Villawood and she told her sister yesterday that they had spotted a brown snake in their backyard a couple of times in the past few days.

Villawood has no bush and is very suburban. It in between Bankstown and Liverpool

WOW
More scaremongering rubbish
We live in Australia, we have many deadly snakes and spiders.
If we keep taking away their natural habitat what do you expect?
Yeh but you are seeing more and more snakes in suburbia where you have never seen snakes before.

How is this Scaremongering by warning people especially the elderly or people with young children playing in the backyard.

Some of you are so freakin using the word Scaremongering lately . I for one want to be warned about certain things.

Don't like a certain post , THEN MOVE ON

Yeh but you are seeing more and more snakes in suburbia where you have never seen snakes before.

How is this Scaremongering by warning people especially the elderly or people with young children playing in the backyard.

Some of you are so freakin using the word Scaremongering lately . I for one want to be warned about certain things.

Snakes have been seen in Suburbia for decades.
They start to be seen more at this time of the year as the temperature warms.
If you didn’t know that then you have your head buried in the sand..

Snakes have been seen in Suburbia for decades.
They start to be seen more at this time of the year as the temperature warms.
If you didn’t know that then you have your head buried in the sand..
Funny I have lived in suburbia Sydney. Peakhurst , Belmore, Dulwich Hill for 26 years and now 36 years in Roselands and have never seen a snake in my yard or heard of neighbours in my area having snakes 🐍

Last edited:

GOOD ON YOU SUZANNE ROSE. I too am fed up with so many idiots on this site being critical of information being given to us by SDC.

I say - move on people, keep your rude comments and accusation of SDC to yourself and off the site. If you are on here like the other hundreds or so of us you should be taking from this what you want, not being critical of SDC doing their job informing us on various topics.

Why is everything, to some, called ‘scaremongering’? CoVid (& immunisations against same), bird flu just to name a couple - if you are lucky to avoid getting a dose of a disease or illness, think yourself lucky. But we’re not meant to be here forever & you will get something which will finish you off one day.

GOOD ON YOU SUZANNE ROSE. I too am fed up with so many idiots on this site being critical of information being given to us by SDC.

I say - move on people, keep your rude comments and accusation of SDC to yourself and off the site. If you are on here like the other hundreds or so of us you should be taking from this what you want, not being critical of SDC doing their job informing us on various topics.

Why is everything, to some, called ‘scaremongering’? CoVid (& immunisations against same), bird flu just to name a couple - if you are lucky to avoid getting a dose of a disease or illness, think yourself lucky. But we’re not meant to be here forever & you will get something which will finish you off one day.
Agree! There’s a big difference between “scaremongering “ and providing information to keep us up-to-date with issues that are relevant to most people in the SDC family.

I’m sure there are those out there who just enjoy complaining or belittling others, or even just enjoy using the word “scaremongering”. (I really dislike that word and how often it is overused.)

Funny I have lived in suburbia Sydney. Peakhurst , Belmont, Dulwich Hill for 31 years and now 32 years in Roselands and have never seen a snake in my yard or heard of neighbours in my area having snakes 🐍
Marsden Park is old farming land and I would expect that the snakes didn't move out when the builders turned up. People should be made aware . I have had snakes on my front lawn in the lower Blue Mountains.

Agree! There’s a big difference between “scaremongering “ and providing information to keep us up-to-date with issues that are relevant to most people in the SDC family.

I’m sure there are those out there who just enjoy complaining or belittling others, or even just enjoy using the word “scaremongering”. (I really dislike that word and how often it is overused.)
Wonder what these people are like in the real world 🌎

Parliament House welcomes snakes...
A certain former Shoalhaven City Council mayor bit me for over $24000 in 1997 for bullshit Section 64 contributions for proposed sewerage services as a cost for my building approval when I had already paid more than $8000 for a self sufficient two stage water treatment system. Snakes of the highest order who reside in Bridge Street, Nowra.

Is this prick still alive? I haven't been a resident of the Shoalhaven since 2007.

Reactions: DLHM
SCAREMONGERING is possibly the only word that exists in the dictionary of those annoying members who use this word with adnausiom.

I wish someone had warned us about the possibility of snakes in new estates all those years ago when putting up a fence my eldest, then about 5y.o. & about 35 metres away called out, 'What is this daddy?' & wish l'd believed my wife when she said a snake had just slithered into our storeroom (over the front door step which had no fly door). In both situations we were only the 2nd or 3rd home in the street.

That snake is HUGE! Grey too. I was surprised to find out, only a few years ago that Eastern Brown snakes can range in colour from greys to greens, browns and even almost black!
I am terrified of wild snakes due to a few close encounters as a child and young adult. I actually feel sick after reading this article. Thank you for posting.