Slash your power bills by ‘electrifying your home’ with this online tool!

In an era where the cost of living is on a steady incline, and the environment is a growing concern, Australians are constantly on the lookout for ways to save money and reduce their carbon footprint.

The good news is that a new online tool has emerged, promising to help Aussie households do just that by swapping out old, energy-guzzling appliances for greener, more efficient alternatives.

The tool, named Electrify Now, was launched by energy provider AGL following a successful pilot program.

It's designed to demystify the often complex calculations involved in determining whether the switch to green technology is financially viable for individual households.

compressed-shutterstock_484084630.jpeg
AGL introduced Electrify Now, a new online tool that could help Australians save on their energy bills. Credits: Shutterstock

Annette and Dennis Kleinberg, a couple from Gladesville on Sydney's lower north shore, are a testament to the potential savings.

They invested $7,800 in solar panels, and are on track to recoup that cost in energy bill savings within four and a half years.

Stories like theirs are becoming increasingly common as more Australians seek to 'electrify their home', and enjoy the dual benefits of lower bills and reduced emissions.

The shift to alternative energy sources can also be complicated, which is what Electrify Now aims to simplify.

Electrify Now works by analysing your most recent energy bills, regardless of the provider, and providing personalised recommendations.

‘It provides them with personal recommendations and estimates specific to how they've been using energy in their home,’ AGL’s Jeremy Brook said.

It takes into account the costs and potential rebates and calculates the payback period for a range of products, including solar panels, home batteries, and even electric vehicles.

Appliances that eliminate gas have been dominating search engine results, reflecting a growing interest in eco-friendly and sustainable alternatives to traditional gas-powered devices.

‘We saw a lot of interest in induction cooktops, and that interest continues, but we're also seeing hot water heat pumps are really popular,’ Brook stated.

While gas consumption has been decreasing steadily since 2021, the challenge lies in the fact that supplies are diminishing at an even faster rate.

‘Those costs will be shared between fewer and fewer people, and quite often those people are those that can't afford to make those changes,’ Liz Stephens from Energy Consumers Australia said.

In light of these efforts to reduce electricity expenses, it's crucial to identify and address the factors contributing to high energy consumption within the home.

Delving into the discussion about energy-hungry appliances and their impact on utility bills could provide valuable insights for individuals seeking to slash their energy costs further.
Key Takeaways
  • Australians now have access to a new online tool, Electrify Now, that helps them calculate the savings from switching to green electric appliances for their homes.
  • Annette and Dennis Kleinberg installed solar panels for $7,800, with an expected payback through bill savings in four and a half years.
  • The tool allows users to enter recent energy bills to receive personalised recommendations and estimates for savings, as well as a payback period for products like solar panels, home batteries, and electric vehicles.
  • A move away from household gas is apparent, with increasing interest in induction cooktops and hot water heat pumps, despite a warning about rising costs for those unable to make the switch.
Have you used Electrify Now or a similar tool? What changes have you made to reduce your energy bills and carbon footprint? We'd love to hear from you in the comments below.

Sponsored
Haven't used Elictrify & wont be, as it sounds like yet another con to me!
We are steered & controlled in enough ways already- need to be wealthy to survive this modern world as all genuine economical ways of living are being removed from us- like wood heating, etc & more expenses added that never previously existed- we'll be taxed to have a poo soon, if we arent already!.
Gas (& woodheating & free rainwater) has saved me money on energy bills over the years, it's so frustrsting it's being phased out when we seem to be able to supply it to overseas countries so much cheaper than it's available here apparently!
Sick of this sort of thing targeting those who cannot afford it!

Haven't used Elictrify & wont be, as it sounds like yet another con to me!
We are steered & controlled in enough ways already- need to be wealthy to survive this modern world as all genuine economical ways of living are being removed from us- like wood heating, etc & more expenses added that never previously existed- we'll be taxed to have a poo soon, if we arent already!.
Gas (& woodheating & free rainwater) has saved me money on energy bills over the years, it's so frustrsting it's being phased out when we seem to be able to supply it to overseas countries so much cheaper than it's available here apparently!
Sick of this sort of thing targeting those who cannot afford it!

"
we'll be taxed to have a poo soon, if we arent already!. " I don't know if it still applies but we used to pay extra council rates for every toilet in the house. And now I read that toilet paper is environmentally unfriendly and a potential health hazard and they are proposing we move to washable/reusable cotton fabric!!

I had a look at this via the link provided and it uses gallons and pounds which was my first red alert and then further on I noticed that the contact details are all for USA, email and telephone. So what's the go here?
The article said this was provided by AGL but it's all American, please explain SDC?
I am very reluctant to give up my gas unless I can see a real benefit to reducing my costs so I would like to see contact details for Australia, not America.

So driving an EV doesn't really help the carbon footprint. Just ads to it. I think this is more of a novelty item. The more Ev's on the road the more coal is required to keep them charged up. Given the fact that an EV is much more to buy and the value depreciates 10 time faster, how can people say they are saving money driving one. Now the government is pushing people to but them. Great logic.

It’s all very well getting rid of gas appliances but we then fall back on electric appliances which uses coal which isn’t green energy most people I have spoken to that have solar there energy bill has risen so until they become cheaper with the battery storage and we can go totally of the grid it doesn’t matter what we do and that’s not going to happen anytime soon because these companies are making big money from the consumer if you are going to cut out gas then there should be something in place to cut out electricity usage until the price of battery storage comes down it’s never going to happen

Reactions: Ingot and Cheezil
maybe if they stop selling OUR gas to Japan at around 3-4cents a litre we wouldn't be running out...but then since they have raised the cost of gas to us (Australians) it is now that they are urging us to switch from gas to elect.they can then send more to Japan...We Aussies are good at getting walked on...with thesatch cry "what can I do ..im only one person )...maybe we should put this on our flag..

It’s all very well getting rid of gas appliances but we then fall back on electric appliances which uses coal which isn’t green energy most people I have spoken to that have solar there energy bill has risen so until they become cheaper with the battery storage and we can go totally of the grid it doesn’t matter what we do and that’s not going to happen anytime soon because these companies are making big money from the consumer if you are going to cut out gas then there should be something in place to cut out electricity usage until the price of battery storage comes down it’s never going to happen
I have heard some states, Victoria is one, who are talking about charging people with solar panels who put power back into the grid. The grid has not been updated for yrs and is struggling to handle all the power being put in. If they start charging we will disconnect ours.

• Wow
Reactions: Ingot and Cheezil
Well said!

I had a look at this via the link provided and it uses gallons and pounds which was my first red alert and then further on I noticed that the contact details are all for USA, email and telephone. So what's the go here?
The article said this was provided by AGL but it's all American, please explain SDC?
I am very reluctant to give up my gas unless I can see a real benefit to reducing my costs so I would like to see contact details for Australia, not America.
a smart lady/man. agl is the most leftist company.

Reactions: I'm Mal and Ingot
Blackouts are more likely under renewable sources than coal-fired energy, so hang on to your gas as long as possible - just a view.

I don't believe in Climate Change or renewable scams.
All for Nuclear and coal in my corner.
Don't get your blood pressure up - it's just an opinion.

I am happy to promote cleaner energy on the grounds of air pollution, but with wet scrubbers being used in coal-fired generators, there is no issue any more.

With renewables such as solar and wind needing complete replacement every 7 to 15 years, compared to 80 yrs for non-emission nuclear, I think we are being sold a pig in a poke!

Shadow energy minister O'Brien was correct - Nuclear can be built in under 10 yrs.
ABC Fact-Checked it and found last couple in the USA were built in 8.1 years and 8.8 years respectively. (Planning and siting not included)
#BlackoutBowen was exaggerating with his 19 yrs story.

Anyway - it's a long way off and most of us will not be around to care.
The anti-nuclear (ban) legislation will need to be repealed and specifics inserted yada yada. That will take years too.

But since Carbon Dioxide is not a climate issue, some of us will need this time to wake up that the sea levels didn't rise, and the oceans didn't boil; the ice caps didn't melt, and the Polar Bears are happy and well.

Once day it will dawn that everything is cyclical. We'll be worried about global freezing next! :)
Those of us who can still think by then.

Reactions: I'm Mal and Cheezil
"it doesn’t matter what we do and that’s not going to happen anytime soon because these companies are making big money from the consumer if you are going to cut out gas then there should be something in place to cut out electricity usage until the price of battery storage comes down it’s never going to happen"
Most people do not know that we are simply seen as milking cows.
These Godless companies are not your altruistic good mate, who rewards you if you cut your power usage.

There is a clause or two written into the energy supply bills, that GUARANTEES energy utilities a profit. Whether it be on poles and wires (reflected in your daily supply charge) or in the rates they charge per kWh.

What does that mean in real terms?
That you and I have NOT been told the truth.
Check it out.
The regulator has written into the act, that if power usage goes DOWN, then they (the electricity generators) have the right to recover profits by RAISING the rates.
So regardless of how much you cut your household energy usage, in time you will be paying more per kWh and daily supply.
I am not kidding - I was shocked when I found this out. It's the reason we have the highest energy costs in the world (South Australia has the highest).

Last edited:
Blackouts are more likely under renewable sources than coal-fired energy, so hang on to your gas as long as possible - just a view.

I don't believe in Climate Change or renewable scams.
All for Nuclear and coal in my corner.
Don't get your blood pressure up - it's just an opinion.

I am happy to promote cleaner energy on the grounds of air pollution, but with wet scrubbers being used in coal-fired generators, there is no issue any more.

With renewables such as solar and wind needing complete replacement every 7 to 15 years, compared to 80 yrs for non-emission nuclear, I think we are being sold a pig in a poke!

Shadow energy minister O'Brien was correct - Nuclear can be built in under 10 yrs.
ABC Fact-Checked it and found last couple in the USA were built in 8.1 years and 8.8 years respectively. (Planning and siting not included)
#BlackoutBowen was exaggerating with his 19 yrs story.

Anyway - it's a long way off and most of us will not be around to care.
The anti-nuclear (ban) legislation will need to be repealed and specifics inserted yada yada. That will take years too.

But since Carbon Dioxide is not a climate issue, some of us will need this time to wake up that the sea levels didn't rise, and the oceans didn't boil; the ice caps didn't melt, and the Polar Bears are happy and well.

Once day it will dawn that everything is cyclical. We'll be worried about global freezing next! :)
Those of us who can still think by then.
No such thing as carbon footprint it is all a load of

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1710730208855.jpg
    FB_IMG_1710730208855.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: Ingot
I have heard some states, Victoria is one, who are talking about charging people with solar panels who put power back into the grid. The grid has not been updated for yrs and is struggling to handle all the power being put in. If they start charging we will disconnect ours.
Yep - just run your own place off-grid. I hate being manipulated by govt.
Original feed-in was 44 cents. Not any more.
They have wangled it down and now remotely turn off feed-in when it suits them.

Advertise for a battery - should be plenty of people upgrading and have one lying about now.
Get advice first though (of course).
(Use LED lighting)

Reactions: Kentsue and Cheezil