Making this energy switch could save you $450 yearly

With gas prices skyrocketing, Australian households could save big by switching from gas to electric appliances, according to a new report.

The study from Monash University forecasted that going electric could save the average home a whopping $450 per year, or $4.9 billion in potential savings annually.

Amelia Pearson, the Project Coordinator at Monash's Research Hub, highlighted the advantages of electrified homes, emphasising their long-term cost-effectiveness and potential health benefits.

'As gas prices continue to overtake the cost of electricity, electrification makes more financial sense for Australian households,' she said.

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 11.30.13 AM.png
According to a study, Australian households can save $450 a year on their energy bills by making the switch from gas to electricity. Credit: Shutterstock.

'Electrification is more efficient, cheaper to run, and allows us to tap into our abundant renewable energy resources like solar and wind, and will accelerate the decarbonisation of Australia's economy,' Ms Pearson added.

The report revealed that gas is primarily used for space heating, constituting 57 per cent of its consumption, while hot water heating and cooking comprise approximately 35 per cent and 5 per cent, respectively.

By transitioning to electric water heating, households could collectively save over $2 billion, while electric space heating could result in savings exceeding $1 billion. Switching to electric cooking could save households more than $340 million.

The study also explained that using a quality heat pump for a four-person household would cost between $145 and $175 annually during off-peak hours, compared to the $435 to $635 expenses associated with a gas system.

Apart from the financial advantages, transitioning to electric appliances doesn't just save money for households; it can also have a positive impact on health, especially for those with pre-existing respiratory conditions.

The report explained that gas cookers and heaters are major sources of indoor pollution. This can result in respiratory problems, cancer, and a higher likelihood of mortality, as noted by Dr James Burgmann-Milner.

'Making the switch from gas to electric drastically reduces exposure to pollutants that pose short and long-term health risks,' he said.

The report assessed the performance of state and territory governments in facilitating the transition from gas to electricity for households.

According to the findings, the ACT and Victoria received high ratings for their effective financial support and efforts in reducing household emissions in this transition.

On the other hand, Western Australia (WA) and the Northern Territory (NT) were found to lag behind in providing financial assistance for such measures.

1698294050206.png

Why don't more households switch from gas to electric if it has so many benefits? Well, it's not as simple as it sounds.

There are a few reasons why it's not easy for people to make the switch. Some renters can't choose their appliances, and apartments often include gas bills in their fees. There might not be enough space for electric heating systems, and the upfront costs can be a challenge. Some people also simply prefer cooking with gas.

To make it easier for people to switch to all-electric homes, a report from the ABC suggested that the government could do a few things.

They could stop allowing new gas connections to homes, give landlords tax breaks for investing in electric appliances, gradually require rental properties to be all-electric, and upgrade public housing to use electric systems.

Key Takeaways

• Australian households can save approximately $450 annually by switching from gas to electricity, according to a Monash University report.
  • The study suggested that the electrification of households has several benefits, including financial savings and improved health outcomes.
  • Indoor pollution from gas, particularly from cookers and heaters, can cause significant health problems, including respiratory issues and an increased cancer risk.
  • The report ranked Australian states and territories based on their support for households in making the switch to electricity, with ACT and Victoria rating highly.

Members, if you're considering going electric, contact your state or territory government to learn about any rebates or incentives available. And chat with your energy provider, retailer or installer about running the numbers to calculate your potential savings.

We hope you found this article helpful and informative! What are your thoughts on making the switch? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
What a load of rubbish! I have a gas hot water service that is supported by two solar panels, and my stove has gas hotplates with an electric oven and as we live in a rural area we only have access to bottled gas, My gas usage is two bottles per year, amounting to less than $300. You can't tell me my electric bill would be cheaper or comparable to that!

I doubt this report very much - I have had both for years and gas is always cheaper. But we have this "greenie" mania to do away with it. I need to get a new wall oven. Of course, the gas version is three times the price of the electric version of the same oven. You are being "forced" to switch.

As the current pile up of excess EVs overseas is showing you can't just make people switch just like that.

As for health hazards, has the author not heard of "electrocution"?

I have only ever had full electricity although family and friends and family have gas for their hot water and stove.

My daughters last gas bill was 3 times the ammount with no difference in use. She has no leaks and was told gas has gone up.

I'm sure I heard that gas will cease in homes and that new homes are now all electric

Reactions: Ezzy
You will notice that the first 2 lines of this report about saving money use the word 'could'.
No definites and No guarantees.

Reactions: Bunyip57
seems there are many pushing for us to have all of our eggs in one basket....again we have plentiful supplies of Natural gas which should benefit us all....but no, everything has to be electric.....so when the power grid goes down for whatever reason, there will be no back up plan available for heating or cooking....our Greenhouse emissions are extremely low and having gas as an alternative will not impact the overall climate conditions in any real shape or form.

I have only ever had full electricity although family and friends and family have gas for their hot water and stove.

My daughters last gas bill was 3 times the amount with no difference in use. She has no leaks and was told gas has gone up.

I'm sure I heard that gas will cease in homes and that new homes are now all electric
Have heard the same too Suzanne but I don't believe it is compulsory. You as a new home owner have the right to put in whatever you want.
Whether or not the house will keep value because of ones decision making when the house is built, is another story

Have heard the same too Suzanne but I don't believe it is compulsory. You as a new home owner have the right to put in whatever you want.
Whether or not the house will keep value because of ones decision making when the house is built, is another story
I just checked, they are fazzing gas out.

I just checked, they are fazzing gas out.
It will still be many many years before it is gone altogether. Same with fuel operated and electric cars. Too many cars in the world still rely on petrol.
For those that have gas appliances, and there are a lot of them, it is not something they will be able to push overnight. Will take a long long time yet. :)

Reactions: Davmes and Ezzy
With gas prices skyrocketing, Australian households could save big by switching from gas to electric appliances, according to a new report.

The study from Monash University forecasted that going electric could save the average home a whopping $450 per year, or $4.9 billion in potential savings annually.

Amelia Pearson, the Project Coordinator at Monash's Research Hub, highlighted the advantages of electrified homes, emphasising their long-term cost-effectiveness and potential health benefits.

'As gas prices continue to overtake the cost of electricity, electrification makes more financial sense for Australian households,' she said.

View attachment 33095
According to a study, Australian households can save $450 a year on their energy bills by making the switch from gas to electricity. Credit: Shutterstock.

'Electrification is more efficient, cheaper to run, and allows us to tap into our abundant renewable energy resources like solar and wind, and will accelerate the decarbonisation of Australia's economy,' Ms Pearson added.

The report revealed that gas is primarily used for space heating, constituting 57 per cent of its consumption, while hot water heating and cooking comprise approximately 35 per cent and 5 per cent, respectively.

By transitioning to electric water heating, households could collectively save over $2 billion, while electric space heating could result in savings exceeding $1 billion. Switching to electric cooking could save households more than $340 million.

The study also explained that using a quality heat pump for a four-person household would cost between $145 and $175 annually during off-peak hours, compared to the $435 to $635 expenses associated with a gas system.

Apart from the financial advantages, transitioning to electric appliances doesn't just save money for households; it can also have a positive impact on health, especially for those with pre-existing respiratory conditions.

The report explained that gas cookers and heaters are major sources of indoor pollution. This can result in respiratory problems, cancer, and a higher likelihood of mortality, as noted by Dr James Burgmann-Milner.

'Making the switch from gas to electric drastically reduces exposure to pollutants that pose short and long-term health risks,' he said.

The report assessed the performance of state and territory governments in facilitating the transition from gas to electricity for households.

According to the findings, the ACT and Victoria received high ratings for their effective financial support and efforts in reducing household emissions in this transition.

On the other hand, Western Australia (WA) and the Northern Territory (NT) were found to lag behind in providing financial assistance for such measures.

Why don't more households switch from gas to electric if it has so many benefits? Well, it's not as simple as it sounds.

There are a few reasons why it's not easy for people to make the switch. Some renters can't choose their appliances, and apartments often include gas bills in their fees. There might not be enough space for electric heating systems, and the upfront costs can be a challenge. Some people also simply prefer cooking with gas.

To make it easier for people to switch to all-electric homes, a report from the ABC suggested that the government could do a few things.

They could stop allowing new gas connections to homes, give landlords tax breaks for investing in electric appliances, gradually require rental properties to be all-electric, and upgrade public housing to use electric systems.

Key Takeaways

• Australian households can save approximately $450 annually by switching from gas to electricity, according to a Monash University report.
  • The study suggested that the electrification of households has several benefits, including financial savings and improved health outcomes.
  • Indoor pollution from gas, particularly from cookers and heaters, can cause significant health problems, including respiratory issues and an increased cancer risk.
  • The report ranked Australian states and territories based on their support for households in making the switch to electricity, with ACT and Victoria rating highly.

Members, if you're considering going electric, contact your state or territory government to learn about any rebates or incentives available. And chat with your energy provider, retailer or installer about running the numbers to calculate your potential savings.

We hope you found this article helpful and informative! What are your thoughts on making the switch? Let us know in the comments below!
Isn’t it amazing! Not that long ago as I recall, it was the ‘thing’ that people opted for GAS appliances because electricity was deemed more expensive!
We built our home (40yr ago) & it was all electric - mainly because my husbands bestie was an electrician. I didn’t want gas hot plates because I found them ugly compared to the nice glass topped elec ones! Later I changed to gas hot water service (cheaper power)!!
Wow! How things have changed with the “invention” of climate change enthusiasts!? I don’t deny our Earths weather is going through a major change, I don’t deny we have been careless with our planets resources etc etc (Flora & Fauna!) but to suggest that we can somehow stop the changing climate is to credit ourselves with power we don’t have!! Us humans think we are somehow Godly & we like to think we have control of the planet - WE DONT!! We could be kinder to our “home” but we don’t OWN it & we don’t CONTROL it - the sooner these climate activists realise this, we can put some effort into things we can control eg our waste, our greed, our destruction of eco systems & habitats of our land, sky & sea creatures etc & that will help
more than what we appear to be doing in this country at least!
None of our governments have been able to think clearly on how to deal with energy crisis we are having because they are always trying to appease climate crazies who are hell-bent on ‘their way or the highway’
tactics! While the rest of us are asked to switch to this or that or put up with either no power or power that a lot can’t afford to use!!! We watch govts selling our energy O/S, lease our utilities to foreign countries who charge what they like & we have ‘talk fests’ about closing down evil coal mines, building wind farms, solar farms, nuclear energy, hydro, etc etc &
WE’RE STILL PAYING SOME OF THE WORLDS HIGHEST ENERGY COSTS!!!
In South Aust we were paying the highest price IN THE WORLD for our electricity!!!! What an incredible honour🤔🙄
Our govt way back, leased our water to the French, our electricity to China
(& we still don’t learn!) on a 99 yr lease! We had a huge de-salination plant built (to date never used!) because we had a drought years ago & God knows we were all going die of thirst😂
I could go on!!!!! Give me a break!!!!!
I’m soooo over the Greta Thunbergs & locally at the mo, the Chris Bowens (who the hell let him loose!!) of this world who are single-handedly causing more harm than good.
So no, won’t be contacting my state Govt over switching to anything - other than a state Govt with some common sense (good luck finding one!!)!!!!

Our house had two electric hot water systems. We had both replaced by Heat Pump systems 18 months ago. These were installed free by our South Australian Govt. who were carrying out this service for all Age Pensioners. 👍

Reactions: Ezzy and Observer
I heard that some new estates are being developed without the gas infrastructure, and guess what happens next? With electricity being the only player in town having the monopoly on energy, where do you think the prices will be going? Hint:- It won't be down!!!!

View attachment 33095

Key Takeaways

Government could further help by getting rid of the GST in the changeover from gas to electricity for eg
220LE All-In-one $4,409.10
STC's $1,000.00
VEEC's - $ 550.00
Sub-Total $2,859.10
GST - 440.90
Total $3,300.00
The package overall would be more attractive without adding the initial retail GST of $440.90. To my mind if the government was serious about the changeover from gas, they would forego the GST on take-up of offer!.

What is not mentioned is that our (australian)gas is being sold overseas for far more money than we might pay so the gas companies sell over sea's first for more profit we get whats left at higher prices.

Reactions: Davmes and Ezzy
Isn’t it amazing! Not that long ago as I recall, it was the ‘thing’ that people opted for GAS appliances because electricity was deemed more expensive!
We built our home (40yr ago) & it was all electric - mainly because my husbands bestie was an electrician. I didn’t want gas hot plates because I found them ugly compared to the nice glass topped elec ones! Later I changed to gas hot water service (cheaper power)!!
Wow! How things have changed with the “invention” of climate change enthusiasts!? I don’t deny our Earths weather is going through a major change, I don’t deny we have been careless with our planets resources etc etc (Flora & Fauna!) but to suggest that we can somehow stop the changing climate is to credit ourselves with power we don’t have!! Us humans think we are somehow Godly & we like to think we have control of the planet - WE DONT!! We could be kinder to our “home” but we don’t OWN it & we don’t CONTROL it - the sooner these climate activists realise this, we can put some effort into things we can control eg our waste, our greed, our destruction of eco systems & habitats of our land, sky & sea creatures etc & that will help
None of our governments have been able to think clearly on how to deal with energy crisis we are having because they are always trying to appease climate crazies who are hell-bent on ‘their way or the highway’
tactics! While the rest of us are asked to switch to this or that or put up with either no power or power that a lot can’t afford to use!!! We watch govts selling our energy O/S, lease our utilities to foreign countries who charge what they like & we have ‘talk fests’ about closing down evil coal mines, building wind farms, solar farms, nuclear energy, hydro, etc etc &
In South Aust we were paying the highest price IN THE WORLD for our electricity!!!! What an incredible honour🤔🙄
(& we still don’t learn!) on a 99 yr lease! We had a huge de-salination plant built (to date never used!) because we had a drought years ago & God knows we were all going die of thirst😂
I’m soooo over the Greta Thunbergs & locally at the mo, the Chris Bowens (who the hell let him loose!!) of this world who are single-handedly causing more harm than good.
So no, won’t be contacting my state Govt over switching to anything - other than a state Govt with some common sense (good luck finding one!!)!!!!
Oh my goodness - 'I think I love you' (lol) 100% agree with you! Extinction Rebellion et al ...brainwashing and chaos ...striving for the new world order...madness!

Reactions: Davmes
Well said and we pay more for the actual service than what we use. They be wanting to ban gas BBQ’s next 🤣🤣. Governments are all about money grabbing not people .

Reactions: Davmes