Slash your fuel costs this holiday season with these expert-backed tips

As the holiday season approaches, many Australians are planning road trips to visit family and friends or explore the country's stunning landscapes.

However, the cost of fuel can be a significant expense, especially for those on a tight budget. But don't despair! Fuel experts have shared their surprisingly simple tips to help you find the cheapest petrol prices this holiday season.

Peter Khoury from the National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA) recently appeared on Sunrise, where he encouraged motorists to leverage technology to ‘beat the bowser’.

'In every state and territory across Australia except Victoria, motorists can get the price in real time of every service station in their location,' Khoury told host Monique Wright.

‘For example, in NSW, you can get it on the NRMA app or the government’s fuel check website, similarly up in Queensland at RACQ and other parts of the country.’

pexels-allen-boguslavsky-18303704.jpg
Going on an adventure? You might want to monitor petrol prices first! Image: Pexels

Khoury pointed out that there are significant gaps in fuel prices, especially in cities. Therefore, it might be more cost-effective to plan your fuel stop once you get out of your local area.

'If you leave Sydney today, there's every chance you will leave to somewhere that is cheaper than your local area—so we are encouraging people to do that research,' he said.

Fuel prices are currently falling across the country due to global fluctuations, with Sydney and Brisbane seeing prices drop to about $206.9 and $176.6, respectively.

Perth and Adelaide have also seen decreases, with prices around $164.4 and $198.7, respectively. The only city where prices have increased is Melbourne, with an average of $195.7.

'They are falling because oil prices are falling,' Peter assured. 'They have been falling now since we hit record highs in September. Global factors are finally working in our favour here in Australia.'

Both Khoury and the RACQ’s Lauren Cooney were pleased to see relief at the pump for customers. 'Wholesale prices have dropped 32 cents a litre,' Peter said. 'So, we’re finally starting to see that at the bowser.'

Understanding the Fuel Pricing Cycle

Fuel prices are not static; they fluctuate due to a variety of factors, including changes in international crude oil prices, exchange rates, and local competition.

This fluctuation is known as the fuel pricing cycle. In Australia, these cycles can range from a week to over a month, depending on the city.

To help save on your fuel costs, fuel price monitoring apps and websites provide real-time data on fuel prices at different service stations, helping you find the cheapest petrol in your area.

tips_for_saving_on_fuel_costs.jpg
Source: CHOICE

By following these tips and staying informed about fuel prices, you can keep your fuel costs down and make your holiday road trip more affordable. Safe travels, everyone!

Key Takeaways

• Fuel experts, including the NRMA's Peter Khoury, have provided tips to find the cheapest petrol prices during the holiday season, such as using price-monitoring apps.
  • Motorists can access real-time petrol prices for every service station in their area using dedicated apps and websites, like the NRMA app or government fuel check sites.
  • Planning and researching fuel prices before travelling can lead to significant savings, especially as there are large price differences between locations.
  • Petrol prices are falling in most Australian cities due to global price fluctuations, offering some relief for customers at the pump.

What are your tips for saving on fuel costs? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ezzy
Sponsored
Does anyone know which Android app gives you real time prices within Victoria?

As the holiday season approaches, many Australians are planning road trips to visit family and friends or explore the country's stunning landscapes.

However, the cost of fuel can be a significant expense, especially for those on a tight budget. But don't despair! Fuel experts have shared their surprisingly simple tips to help you find the cheapest petrol prices this holiday season.

Peter Khoury from the National Roads and Motorists' Association (NRMA) recently appeared on Sunrise, where he encouraged motorists to leverage technology to ‘beat the bowser’.

'In every state and territory across Australia except Victoria, motorists can get the price in real time of every service station in their location,' Khoury told host Monique Wright.

‘For example, in NSW, you can get it on the NRMA app or the government’s fuel check website, similarly up in Queensland at RACQ and other parts of the country.’

View attachment 38024
Going on an adventure? You might want to monitor petrol prices first! Image: Pexels

Khoury pointed out that there are significant gaps in fuel prices, especially in cities. Therefore, it might be more cost-effective to plan your fuel stop once you get out of your local area.

'If you leave Sydney today, there's every chance you will leave to somewhere that is cheaper than your local area—so we are encouraging people to do that research,' he said.

Fuel prices are currently falling across the country due to global fluctuations, with Sydney and Brisbane seeing prices drop to about $206.9 and $176.6, respectively.

Perth and Adelaide have also seen decreases, with prices around $164.4 and $198.7, respectively. The only city where prices have increased is Melbourne, with an average of $195.7.

'They are falling because oil prices are falling,' Peter assured. 'They have been falling now since we hit record highs in September. Global factors are finally working in our favour here in Australia.'

Both Khoury and the RACQ’s Lauren Cooney were pleased to see relief at the pump for customers. 'Wholesale prices have dropped 32 cents a litre,' Peter said. 'So, we’re finally starting to see that at the bowser.'

Understanding the Fuel Pricing Cycle

Fuel prices are not static; they fluctuate due to a variety of factors, including changes in international crude oil prices, exchange rates, and local competition.

This fluctuation is known as the fuel pricing cycle. In Australia, these cycles can range from a week to over a month, depending on the city.

To help save on your fuel costs, fuel price monitoring apps and websites provide real-time data on fuel prices at different service stations, helping you find the cheapest petrol in your area.

View attachment 38056
Source: CHOICE

By following these tips and staying informed about fuel prices, you can keep your fuel costs down and make your holiday road trip more affordable. Safe travels, everyone!

Key Takeaways

• Fuel experts, including the NRMA's Peter Khoury, have provided tips to find the cheapest petrol prices during the holiday season, such as using price-monitoring apps.
  • Motorists can access real-time petrol prices for every service station in their area using dedicated apps and websites, like the NRMA app or government fuel check sites.
  • Planning and researching fuel prices before travelling can lead to significant savings, especially as there are large price differences between locations.
  • Petrol prices are falling in most Australian cities due to global price fluctuations, offering some relief for customers at the pump.

What are your tips for saving on fuel costs? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Been using app for years!!!

I’m not sure if it’s for android use but I use PetrolSpy and I also live near a Costco so that helps with fuel savings. The membership cost sure pays for itself in a couple of fuel fill ups.

I think Petrol Spy is fairly accurate (not always though). I am not sure if it's on android, but if not, you can google petrol spy online.

I’m not sure if it’s for android use but I use PetrolSpy and I also live near a Costco so that helps with fuel savings. The membership cost sure pays for itself in a couple of fuel fill ups.
Agree with the savings at Costco, sometimes up to 30c a litre cheaper. Membership pays for itself in no time with those savings.

Agree with the savings at Costco, sometimes up to 30c a litre cheaper. Membership pays for itself in no time with those savings.
X convenience petrol stn is just down the road from Costco.
Costco diesel is 1c cheaper than X convenience, it would take Me 85 fill ups to recover the joining fee.
Diesel is always 1c cheaper, always at Costco.
Petrol I don't use, Diesel only, and I only use X Convenience.

Last edited:
Petrol Spy is on iOS and android.
Latest prices with real time shown, when price was submitted to the App.
Petrol Spy is the best app I have found, and it's the only one I use. (y)(y)(y):)
PS and it's Aust wide.