Shoppers weigh in on Coles’ new eco-friendly initiative—is it worth its double price tag?

As we navigate the aisles of our local supermarkets, we're often confronted with the challenge of making choices that are good for our wallets and the planet. It's a delicate balance, especially in these times when the cost of living seems to be on an ever-upward trajectory.

Coles, one of Australia's leading supermarkets, has recently introduced a new product that has sparked quite a bit of conversation among environmentally conscious shoppers.

However, before you applaud the initiative, there's a catch—the price is double the usual rate. Let's peel back the layers to understand why.

The new mandarin bags, which Coles launched as part of a trial, are primarily made of paper and boast the potential to avoid the use of 11,700 kg of soft plastic.

This is significant, considering that soft plastics are no longer recyclable in Australia and have become a notorious environmental nuisance.

The move has been cautiously welcomed by those who are weary of seeing fresh produce wrapped in layers of unnecessary plastic.

compressed-shutterstock_1504420667.jpeg
Coles launched a new paper bag for mandarins to cut down on soft plastic packaging. Credits: Shutterstock

However, the bags were not without their issues.

They were not made from recycled material, and they lack the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification, which assures consumers that the paper used is sourced from sustainably managed forests.

Moreover, to address customer concerns about the durability of paper bags, these new mandarin bags have a thin layer of plastic coating on the inside to prevent breakage and protect the fruit from moisture.

Despite this composite material, the Australian Packaging Covenant Organisation (APCO)—which manages the Australasian Recycling Label (ARL) scheme—said they are ‘both technically recyclable and widely accepted at kerbside’.

This means that they can be used for at least 80 per cent of the yellow bins.

‘There is a thin plastic coating inside the bag, which both helps in strengthening the integrity of the material and acts as a moisture barrier to protect the food; this amount of plastic is within fibre recyclability thresholds hence the Recyclable ARL on pack,’ the organisation explained.

The introduction of these bags comes at a time when the impact of plastic on our environment and health is being intensely scrutinised.

Plastic fragments have been found in our food, wildlife, and even human tissues and breast milk, raising concerns about potential health risks.

Supermarkets like Coles are under increasing pressure to reduce their plastic footprint, and Coles was reportedly ‘working towards’ an ambitious goal to make all of its home-brand packaging recyclable, reusable, or compostable by next year.

Reaching this goal will be a significant challenge for the company, especially considering that since the in-store REDcycle scheme collapsed in 2022, most Australians lacked a proper means to recycle their soft plastics.

This initiative followed a similar trial by Coles in Victoria and Tasmania, where paper bags were used for grapes.

It's a step in the right direction; however, sustainability experts, like Lottie Dalziel, Founder of Banish, an online eco-product store, argued that the best approach is to reduce our consumption of packaging altogether.

‘The best thing is always to reduce our consumption as much as possible, and opt for loose fruit and vegetables. As consumers we have the power, by voting with our dollar,’ she suggested.

‘By purchasing loose mandarins over those ones packaged in anything, we're showing that we want less packaging.’

Now, let's discuss the cost. The mandarins in these new paper bags are of premium quality, which is reflected in the price.

In Sydney, loose imperial mandarins typically retail for $3.50 per kg, while the Coles Unique Selection Mandarins Prepacked (800g) are priced at $6.88 per kg.

Coles explained that the fruit in the paper bags was ‘carefully curated’ and benefits from ‘enhanced growing processes and farming conditions’.

For those who can afford it, the extra cost might be justifiable for the superior taste and quality.

It's worth noting that Coles also offers the ‘I'm Perfect’ range, which includes imperfect fruit at a lower price of $4.50 per kg.

While these may not look as appealing, they are often just as tasty and nutritious as their picture-perfect counterparts.

As Coles introduces its new sustainably packaged item at a higher cost, consumers are beginning to weigh the benefits against the price.

This move aligned with a growing concern for environmental sustainability; however, it's not without its challenges.

Recent feedback from shoppers highlighted the importance of not only eco-friendly packaging but also its practicality and durability.

In light of this, a recent incident involving the quality of Coles' new paper bags sparked further discussion.

One shopper's experience shed light on the need for retailers to ensure that their sustainability efforts translate into reliable and functional products.
Key Takeaways
  • Coles introduced a new paper bag for mandarins in an effort to reduce the use of soft plastic packaging.
  • Although the new bag avoids the use of a significant amount of soft plastic, it is not fully sustainable due to its composite material, including a plastic coating, and lack of FSC certification.
  • The mandarins in the paper bag were of premium quality, which justifies their higher price compared to loose mandarins, despite the new packaging.
  • Coles was reportedly working on making all of its home-brand packaging recyclable, reusable, or compostable by the following year, yet the effectiveness of this initiative is in question after the REDcycle scheme's collapse.
Have you tried the new mandarin bags from Coles? Do you think the higher price is worth it for the environmental benefits? Share your experiences and opinions with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
Better to buy individual fruit that you should examine for yourself, the prepackaged fruit usually hides the defective fruit. The same thing happens with prepackaged meats where they stick a big label over the fatty parts.

I can’t see how a bag can double the price of any product- I would like to know what the enhanced growing practices are? More pesticides to keep the fruit looking like a plastic version of a real one???
Why don’t they just sell loose fruit and we can take our pick and put it into our own bag - or not?

I am just inquiring about the statement in the article
(considering that soft plastics are no longer recyclable in Australia)
I do believe that we do recycle soft plastic in the way of Curby. I live on the Central Coast NSW and we have the ability to recycle.

I do believe that we do recycle soft plastic in the way of Curby. I live on the Central Coast NSW and we have the ability to recycle.
North Qld here and we do not have a curbside recycling bin. 2 bins yes, but both are dumped.

• Wow
Reactions: Reaper123
Only available in your area/ Newcastle and Tamworth sadly.

Better to buy individual fruit that you should examine for yourself, the prepackaged fruit usually hides the defective fruit. The same thing happens with prepackaged meats where they stick a big label over the fatty parts.
I wish there were fatty parts on the meat! They overtrim it these days and you are lucky to get any fat at all.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I use mesh bags for loose fruit & veg. That way I have no bad fruit or veg. I've used mesh bags for 4 years. I've also been using keep cups since 2007.

And here we have another cost at the expense of the customers. It even states in the article. $3.50 loose and $6.88 in the new bags. I think we all need to start taking our own bags for the F&V. All these thing they claim to help are paid for by the customers including security measures. Supermarkets don't pay anything. We do. The profits speak for themselves.

Surely it can’t be that hard to have brown paper bags for fruit and vegetables
I have often wondered why the shopping gurus charge us for brown paper bags. I remember these were always available free with all the supermarkets prior to the advent of plastic bags. Supermarkets already make massive profits mostly unchallenged and at a cost to “middle men” ie farmers. Why should they expect us to pay for what has always been free?

Reactions: Sue Cribb
""(This is significant, considering that soft plastics are no longer recyclable in Australia and have become a notorious environmental nuisance.)""

This part is totally incorrect. One local Council has told ratepayers that they can go and get special bags from Councl to put all of this soft plastic packages into and they will send them somewhere where they will use to produce fuels.
So, this soft plastics, which according to the article are no longer recyclable in Australia, THEY ARE NOT NO LONGER RECYCLABLE, NOR THEY WILL EVER BE A NOTORIOUS ENVIRONMENTAL NUISANCE IF THEY ARE PROCESSED IN A PROPER WAY. After all all these plastics AND MORE are majority made from petroleum products and they can be recyclable back again into some more petroleum products.
All it needs is some better education on what to do instead of shooting from the hip like many people are doing when it comes to this Climate Cult.
Sorry but................ that is a fact.

""(This is significant, considering that soft plastics are no longer recyclable in Australia and have become a notorious environmental nuisance.)""

This part is totally incorrect. One local Council has told ratepayers that they can go and get special bags from Councl to put all of this soft plastic packages into and they will send them somewhere where they will use to produce fuels.
So, this soft plastics, which according to the article are no longer recyclable in Australia, THEY ARE NOT NO LONGER RECYCLABLE, NOR THEY WILL EVER BE A NOTORIOUS ENVIRONMENTAL NUISANCE IF THEY ARE PROCESSED IN A PROPER WAY. After all all these plastics AND MORE are majority made from petroleum products and they can be recyclable back again into some more petroleum products.
All it needs is some better education on what to do instead of shooting from the hip like many people are doing when it comes to this Climate Cult.
Sorry but................ that is a fact.
Not all polymeric materials can be recycled to make more polymeric products. Ever wonder why there are massive stockpiles of car and truck tyres scattered across the country?

And here we have another cost at the expense of the customers. It even states in the article. $3.50 loose and $6.88 in the new bags. I think we all need to start taking our own bags for the F&V. All these thing they claim to help are paid for by the customers including security measures. Supermarkets don't pay anything. We do. The profits speak for themselves.
Yes, I guess that neither Coles or Woolworths want to do anything that would interfere with their billion dollar annual profits

Not all polymeric materials can be recycled to make more polymeric products. Ever wonder why there are massive stockpiles of car and truck tyres scattered across the country?
Car and truck and tractor tyres are recycled too and they can extract some type of fuels out of them. Others are just trashes to small pieces and used in the construction industries as well.
Michelin is also well involved in reusing the raw materials from their tyres. At present, In Chile, for example, Michelin is building its first earthmover tyre recycling plant, where an end-to-end experience will be offered, i.e collecting old tyres and reusing regenerated materials.
Also, Rubber road products made from old tyres have been used in the construction and maintenance of roads in the USA for some time and have begun to recently take place in Australia. The scale of tyre recycling being used for road products is increasing. These products include asphalt and spray seal, and it is a more durable and quieter driving surface with a much improved water drainage.
The material from teh recycling of old car and tryck tyres it can also be used for
  • Sporting fields
  • Athletics tracks
  • Soft fall surfaces for playgrounds
  • Artificial turf
  • Soft flooring for industrial and commercial premises.
I hope this will help.