Shoppers up in arms over Woolworths’ $80 Christmas dessert

As the holiday season approaches, people are reminded of all the things there is to love about this time of year: the decorations, the Christmas tunes, the festive spirit, and the delicious meals and desserts people will share with each other.

But there is one thing that can put a damper on the festive mood: the expense. It's no secret that the holidays can add significant strain to an already stretched budget, which is why many people like to plan and budget ahead for the Christmas period.

Though many have grown savvy when it comes to thrifty holiday spending, it's still possible to be taken aback when you shop for a popular treat and feel as if you're shelling out an unnecessarily hefty sum.

This is exactly what happened to one Woolworths shopper who, according to their post on social media, was astonished to see that Ray’s Traditional HomeMade Plum Puddings cost $35, $52, $67 and a staggering $80 in store!

Unsurprisingly, the picture he shared of the range raised a few eyebrows in the comments section.

Screenshot 2023-12-05 071012.png
People were surprised with the price range of this plum pudding in Woolworths. Image: Facebook

'Woolworths, please tell me that you’re pulling my leg with these prices,' he wrote in his post alongside the photo.

When contacted for comment by a news source, a Woolworths spokesperson had this to say:

'We support a number of Australian suppliers to help bring their unique products to market. This particular product has been handmade since 1930, and at 1.8 kilos serves 16 people.'

The spokesperson also clarified that the product is a high-quality, luxury item made by small suppliers—which explains the high price.

'We know people are looking for value, so all our stores also offer a range of value options starting from our Classic Plum Pudding which is $5.50,’ the spokesperson added.

Woolworths also offers varieties a more affordable pudding options, including:
  • Woolworths Classic Plum Pudding 700g - $5.50
  • Woolworths Decadent Chocolate Sponge Pudding 500g - $7.80
  • Woolworths Indulgent Salted Caramel Pudding 500g - $7.80
It's also worth noting that Ray’s HomeMade Plum Puddings are also sold in Coles dropping the prices down by even more during the Christmas season. Prices there range from $35 to $80.

This comes after an inquiry is expected to scrutinise Woolworths and Coles supermarkets as to whether their customers are being subjected to 'price gouging' during economic hardship.

This inquiry will also look into other factors that could be affecting their prices, such as their own brand products, market concentration, corporate profit hikes and the extraction of cost-savings from employees and consumers through automation.

You can read the full story here.

If you’re planning your holiday feast, it’s crucial to do a bit of careful research beforehand to get a better sense of what's worth spending your hard-earned cash on and what's simply an extravagant treat.

Key Takeaways
  • A Woolworths customer has expressed shock over an $80 plum pudding in stores.
  • The shopper shared an image of Ray's Traditional Home Made Plum Puddings, with prices varying from $35 to $80.
  • A spokesperson for Woolworths explained that the high price is due to the product being handmade since 1930 by a smaller supplier.
  • Woolworths offers a range of more affordable Christmas dessert options, including a Classic Plum Pudding for $5.50.

What do you think of this story? Do you think the plum pudding is overpriced? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
Have you seen the price of the dried fruit that goes into one of these.

I make fruit cakes and plum puddings. The mixture I marinate is for both the fruit cake and plum pudding ,it differs before cooking.

It cost me probably $80 to make both .
I do a mixture that will make 1 large fruit cake and 1 plum pudding

Ingredients
Prunes
Dates
Apricots
Sultanas
Raisins
Currants
Scotch
Orange juice
Brown sugar
A jar of fig conserve

Each packet of fruit is $6 plus ,some packets I use two

I marinate the above mixture for at least 4 weeks with mixing twice a week

Then there is the flour, eggs and butter for cooking

I've had alot of people willing to pay big for my cakes

I'm happy to share my recipe, let me know and I will send it to you via message

Last edited:
As the holiday season approaches, people are reminded of all the things there is to love about this time of year: the decorations, the Christmas tunes, the festive spirit, and the delicious meals and desserts people will share with each other.

But there is one thing that can put a damper on the festive mood: the expense. It's no secret that the holidays can add significant strain to an already stretched budget, which is why many people like to plan and budget ahead for the Christmas period.

Though many have grown savvy when it comes to thrifty holiday spending, it's still possible to be taken aback when you shop for a popular treat and feel as if you're shelling out an unnecessarily hefty sum.

This is exactly what happened to one Woolworths shopper who, according to their post on social media, was astonished to see that Ray’s Traditional HomeMade Plum Puddings cost $35, $52, $67 and a staggering $80 in store!

Unsurprisingly, the picture he shared of the range raised a few eyebrows in the comments section.

View attachment 36624
People were surprised with the price range of this plum pudding in Woolworths. Image: Facebook

'Woolworths, please tell me that you’re pulling my leg with these prices,' he wrote in his post alongside the photo.

When contacted for comment by a news source, a Woolworths spokesperson had this to say:

'We support a number of Australian suppliers to help bring their unique products to market. This particular product has been handmade since 1930, and at 1.8 kilos serves 16 people.'

The spokesperson also clarified that the product is a high-quality, luxury item made by small suppliers—which explains the high price.

'We know people are looking for value, so all our stores also offer a range of value options starting from our Classic Plum Pudding which is $5.50,’ the spokesperson added.

It's also worth noting that Ray’s HomeMade Plum Puddings are also sold in Coles dropping the prices down by even more during the Christmas season. Prices there range from $35 to $80.

This comes after an inquiry is expected to scrutinise Woolworths and Coles supermarkets as to whether their customers are being subjected to 'price gouging' during economic hardship.

This inquiry will also look into other factors that could be affecting their prices, such as their own brand products, market concentration, corporate profit hikes and the extraction of cost-savings from employees and consumers through automation.

If you’re planning your holiday feast, it’s crucial to do a bit of careful research beforehand to get a better sense of what's worth spending your hard-earned cash on and what's simply an extravagant treat.

Key Takeaways

• The shopper shared an image of Ray's Traditional Home Made Plum Puddings, with prices varying from $35 to $80.
  • A spokesperson for Woolworths explained that the high price is due to the product being handmade since 1930 by a smaller supplier.
  • Woolworths offers a range of more affordable Christmas dessert options, including a Classic Plum Pudding for $5.50.

What do you think of this story? Do you think the plum pudding is overpriced? Let us know in the comments below!
If you think it is too expensive then you don’t have to buy it!!! Simple!!!

View attachment 36624

Key Takeaways

I bought one of Ray’s pudding a few years ago. It was just so ordinary, no idea why they are so expensive. Will never buy again! This year I have bought an Aldi Christmas Pudding. Was only around the $5.99 I think. Should be ok as their fruit cake is very good. Ray’s are over rated. You would have to be stupid to pay $80 just for a Pudding! Try elsewhere.

1kg mixed dried fruit
400g can condensed milk
3/4 cup Baileys Irish Cream
2cups S R flour
In a large bowl combine dried fruit,condensed milk,Baileys and 1/2 cup water.mix well ,cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge and stir well allowing to come to room temperature.preheat oven to 150 c .grease and line a 20 cm round cake tin with baking paper. Fold flour through soaked fruit. Pour into tin smooth top . Bake for2 hrs until a skewer comes out clean.checking at1 1/2 hrs and c over with foil if browning too quickly.note add some glacé cherries 🍒 if you like .i always add cherries. Happy baking. .

I make fruit cakes and plum puddings. The mixture I marinate is for both the fruit cake and plum pudding ,it differs before cooking.

Ingredients
Prunes
Dates
Apricots
Sultanas
Raisins
Currants
Scotch
Orange juice
Brown sugar
A jar of fig conserve

I've had a lot of people willing to pay big for my cakes

Yes I make our own Plum Puddings have done for over 40yrs. I put my fruit down grand final weekend and start cooking the week after Cup Day my recipe comes from my grand mother and is used by quite a few family members and passed down now to future generations. Happy eating and not so hard to do as my grand daughter did the first cook with her da and myself a few weeks ago I have handed out 6 already and have enough to make a couple more next week . Merry Christmas.

1kg mixed dried fruit
400g can condensed milk
3/4 cup Baileys Irish Cream
2cups S R flour
In a large bowl combine dried fruit,condensed milk,Baileys and 1/2 cup water.mix well ,cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge and stir well allowing to come to room temperature.preheat oven to 150 c .grease and line a 20 cm round cake tin with baking paper. Fold flour through soaked fruit. Pour into tin smooth top . Bake for2 hrs until a skewer comes out clean.checking at1 1/2 hrs and c over with foil if browning too quickly.note add some glacé cherries 🍒 if you like .i always add cherries. Happy baking. .
Thats the one ,Thanks for adding .

Yes I make our own Plum Puddings have done for over 40yrs. I put my fruit down grand final weekend and start cooking the week after Cup Day my recipe comes from my grand mother and is used by quite a few family members and passed down now to future generations. Happy eating and not so hard to do as my grand daughter did the first cook with her da and myself a few weeks ago I have handed out 6 already and have enough to make a couple more next week . Merry Christmas.
Home made is always the best .

Mum makes a traditional plum pudding with sixpences in it!
Always a fun end to a marvellous meal❣️
I still have a bottle of the old coins and are put to use at Xmas my grandkids were surprised the first time they found a coin in the pudding ,and I explained it was a old tradition when I was younger.

Reactions: Davmes and magpie1

View attachment 36624

Key Takeaways

It's disgusting what Coles and Woollies are charging for everything. The quicker they are held accountable for price gouging the better. Don't shop at their stores. Support independent Supermarkets and Local markets.

Reactions: Phyll

View attachment 36624

Key Takeaways

Is Woolworths prepared to tell us what their markup is on these puddings,

Nobody would mind paying thise prices if the markup was very small.

Reactions: Leenie

Ingredients
Prunes
Dates
Apricots
Sultanas
Raisins
Currants
Scotch
Orange juice
Brown sugar
A jar of fig conserve

I've had alot of people willing to pay big for my cakes

I remember my father used to make his plum puddings in the June before Christmas, absolute magic they used to be. Thought it was great to have the brandy sauce instead of custard (ugh) of course not realising it was flavouring all the booze had been cooked out that was my parents Christmas jape.