Shoppers outraged after being charged 'bulls**t' surcharge at a local store

As summer rolls around, many of us are planning BBQs and outdoor picnics with family and friends. And what's a summertime get-together without a round or two of ice-cold drinks to cool down?

Unfortunately, one Sydney shopper's trip to a local store turned into a mildly infuriating experience.

The customer shared their frustration on the popular social media site Reddit, after discovering that the store they'd visited had slapped on an additional fee just for buying a cold beverage!

‘Surcharge for cold drinks, I guess that’s a new one (at least for me),’ they captioned and attached the image of the store’s drinks fridge below:

surcharge.jpg
The bright green sign can be seen hanging at the top of the fridge. Credit: Reddit

The Citi Super Asian Supermarket on George Street in Sydney’s CBD added a 20c surcharge for cold drinks under 1.5 litres, and 50c extra for drinks over 1.5 litres.

Social media users rushed to the original poster’s comments section, and while many agreed that slapping on a surcharge was ‘outrageous’, some said it wasn’t a new thing for shops to do.

‘This is utter bull***t,’ said one, while another felt ‘disgusted’ by the act.

A third wrote: ‘What’s next? Salad tossing fee? Sandwich construction fee? I wonder if stores will soon start a cover-charge system. You pay a fee to get in and get a stamp so you can return for free.’

‘Maybe if they had doors on their fridges, the electricity bill wouldn’t be so high they had to extort their customers,’ suggested another.

drink.jpg
Other supermarkets allegedly also charge higher for refrigerated drinks. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

Many revealed that bigger shops, such as Coles and Woolworths, also do this but don’t advertise it.

‘Coles and Woolies used to do this 20 years ago,’ someone claimed. Another person shared that these retailers still do this today. ‘Big cold coke is way more expensive than one from the shelf,’ they added.

Someone asked why the store would feel the need to advertise the surcharge instead of just ‘pricing it in if it’s a real cost’. One person replied: ‘Unlike Coles and Woolies who don't stock the same size drink both refrigerated and unrefrigerated, this store sells the same drinks at both cold and at room temperature.’

While another explained that many store items have a ‘recommended retail price’ on the packaging, so shops can’t take advantage and charge really high prices without looking dishonest. This may be the reason why the store put up the sign.

A few of the comments said that the surcharge was ‘nothing to be angry about’.

‘Am I the only one who thinks it’s kind of reasonable? I mean, at the end of the day they have to pay for the fridge, floor space, power, etc.’

Another felt that the store was being honest to their customers by explaining the cost of the surcharge.
Key Takeaways

• A store in Sydney has caused outrage by implementing a 'cold drink surcharge'.
  • The surcharge is 20 cents for those under 1.5L and 50 cents for those above 1.5L.
  • Customers are angry at the surcharge, with some claiming that it is ‘outrageous’ and 'disgusting'.
What are your thoughts on this, members? Do you think the surcharge is reasonable or not? Let us know in the comments!

Sponsored
As summer rolls around, many of us are planning BBQs and outdoor picnics with family and friends. And what's a summertime get-together without a round or two of ice-cold drinks to cool down?

Unfortunately, one Sydney shopper's trip to a local store turned into a mildly infuriating experience.

The customer shared their frustration on the popular social media site Reddit, after discovering that the store they'd visited had slapped on an additional fee just for buying a cold beverage!

‘Surcharge for cold drinks, I guess that’s a new one (at least for me),’ they captioned and attached the image of the store’s drinks fridge below:

View attachment 10211
The bright green sign can be seen hanging at the top of the fridge. Credit: Reddit

The Citi Super Asian Supermarket on George Street in Sydney’s CBD added a 20c surcharge for cold drinks under 1.5 litres, and 50c extra for drinks over 1.5 litres.

Social media users rushed to the original poster’s comments section, and while many agreed that slapping on a surcharge was ‘outrageous’, some said it wasn’t a new thing for shops to do.

A third wrote: ‘What’s next? Salad tossing fee? Sandwich construction fee? I wonder if stores will soon start a cover-charge system. You pay a fee to get in and get a stamp so you can return for free.’

‘Maybe if they had doors on their fridges, the electricity bill wouldn’t be so high they had to extort their customers,’ suggested another.

View attachment 10210
Other supermarkets allegedly also charge higher for refrigerated drinks. Credit: Pixabay/Pexels

Many revealed that bigger shops, such as Coles and Woolworths, also do this but don’t advertise it.

‘Coles and Woolies used to do this 20 years ago,’ someone claimed. Another person shared that these retailers still do this today. ‘Big cold coke is way more expensive than one from the shelf,’ they added.

Someone asked why the store would feel the need to advertise the surcharge instead of just ‘pricing it in if it’s a real cost’. One person replied: ‘Unlike Coles and Woolies who don't stock the same size drink both refrigerated and unrefrigerated, this store sells the same drinks at both cold and at room temperature.’

While another explained that many store items have a ‘recommended retail price’ on the packaging, so shops can’t take advantage and charge really high prices without looking dishonest. This may be the reason why the store put up the sign.

‘Am I the only one who thinks it’s kind of reasonable? I mean, at the end of the day they have to pay for the fridge, floor space, power, etc.’

Another felt that the store was being honest to their customers by explaining the cost of the surcharge.
Key Takeaways

• A store in Sydney has caused outrage by implementing a 'cold drink surcharge'.
  • The surcharge is 20 cents for those under 1.5L and 50 cents for those above 1.5L.
  • Customers are angry at the surcharge, with some claiming that it is ‘outrageous’ and 'disgusting'.
What are your thoughts on this, members? Do you think the surcharge is reasonable or not? Let us know in the comments!
This is nothing, try booking a trip on a CUNARD vessel. If, and it is a big IF, you want to purchase an Alcoholic Drink package which will set you back US$70/DAY then all passengers in the same package are also charged US$70/passenger irrespective if the other passengers are non drinkers. And if the passengers want to upgrade their cabins then be prepared to pay 25% cancellation fee despite your wanting to accept the higher charge for a better cabin.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
This is nothing, try booking a trip on a CUNARD vessel. If, and it is a big IF, you want to purchase an Alcoholic Drink package which will set you back US$70/DAY then all passengers in the same package are also charged US$70/passenger irrespective if the other passengers are non drinkers. And if the passengers want to upgrade their cabins then be prepared to pay 25% cancellation fee despite your wanting to accept the higher charge for a better cabin.
I just did 28 days on the Queen Elizabeth. I thank all the alcoholic drinkers and folks who change their minds for keeping my cruise fare lower and giving me dividends on my Carnival Corp shares.

Many years ago they wanted US$65 for a bottle of wine I could get for AUD10 in my bottle shop. I gave up drinking that day. My liver thanks me. The savings made help me to cruise 4 months of the year.

As Paul Keating categorised me as unAustralian. Why, because I don’t drink, gamble or smoke. The healthiest tax avoidance scheme I know.

View attachment 10211

View attachment 10210

Key Takeaways

Probably Pubs will be next adding a surcharge to a cold beer - lol. Probably we need to plan ahead more and buy off the shelf and chill drink at home, or just walk out of the shop, refusing to pay surcharge and get a cold drink elsewhere; getting more like USA every day.

I just did 28 days on the Queen Elizabeth. I thank all the alcoholic drinkers and folks who change their minds for keeping my cruise fare lower and giving me dividends on my Carnival Corp shares.

Many years ago they wanted US$65 for a bottle of wine I could get for AUD10 in my bottle shop. I gave up drinking that day. My liver thanks me. The savings made help me to cruise 4 months of the year.

As Paul Keating categorised me as unAustralian. Why, because I don’t drink, gamble or smoke. The healthiest tax avoidance scheme I know.
And if your partner likes a drink are you happy to pay the same exorbitant price they will charge you for the same alcohol package, and bear in mind the cost of your drinks under CUNARDS drink package is only $12;00 per drink. In my humble a completely unethical policy by a once prestige shipping line.

This is definitely not a new thing. They have been doing it for many, many years. Buy early and chill yourself if you want to save money.

View attachment 10211

View attachment 10210

Key Takeaways

I think this surcharge is a great idea. From now on, every 6 minutes I have to wait on the phone to be served by a vendor I will invoice them $5.00. This hourly arrangement seems to serve the legal fraternity quite well. Poor customer service incurs a flat fee of $10.00. Payable at the time of offence.

A surcharge of .50 cents was added to my lunch receipt today. No prior notice. I queried the charge and was offered no information other than being told this has always been the case.

Layer upon layer the civil rights onion diminishes in size, right under our noses. Next time I will ask for the charge to be removed.

View attachment 10211

View attachment 10210

Key Takeaways

Boycott the store probably buying from the supermarkets cheap and then hitting the consumer go elsewhere stuff them 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

View attachment 10211

View attachment 10210

Key Takeaways

I'd have left it on the counter and walked out . This is why I do not buy soft drinks from shops.....

Reactions: Ricci and elaine41
About 45 years ago, we had a whole lot of what were then called "Two-gallon Licenses" liquor outlets around greater Brisbane; they were barns of places selling whole-case lots of beer, boxes of bottles or flagons of wine, and full-size bottles of spirits. The basic idea was that you would buy in bulk (the cask was in its infancy). These two-gallon places almost without exception sold "hot", i.e., no refrigeration. A few bucked that trend and started selling "cold", but invariably charged more; anything up to $3 a slab on beer, which was quite an impost if your 'bargain' slab of Brisbane Bitter (I still shudder....) was $15 "hot". The practice did not last for long, especially after the arrival of the major retailers into the liquor game.

View attachment 10211

View attachment 10210

Key Takeaways

I've always known that cold drinks from chilled section are more expensive. Paying for convenience. Buy off shelf & a bag of ice

View attachment 10211

View attachment 10210

Key Takeaways

That’s a rip off!