Shoppers laud Chrissie Swan's $4 Bunnings technique—are you doing this too?

Here at the SDC, we value ways to save time and money, and we’re always up for a trick that can help us out in our daily lives.

And popular TV personality and radio star Chrissie Swan has just the thing to make shopping a little easier for you.

Chrissie, currently appearing on The Masked Singer Australia as a panellist, took to social media to share the trick she's been practising since the beginning of the year while grocery shopping—and it's opened up people's eyes to other ways of doing things.

‘Please enjoy this basket shopping hack,’ she wrote in the caption of her video.

photo (39).jpg
Chrissie Swan shared a shopping technique on social media. Credit: @chrissieswan/Instagram

Rather than taking countless plastic bags to the supermarket from home, on her most recent trip, the 49-year-old TV and radio star opted for two big plastic containers—which she'd picked up from Bunnings for about $4 each.

She then loaded these straight into a shallow trolley and filled them up as she went around the store.

When it came to checkout time, instead of unloading her items back into bags, Chrissie simply put all the items back into the baskets and brought them out to the car.

‘No pesky bag. You’re welcome,’ Chrissie said in her video.

Everyone was impressed with her technique because it can save you so much hassle and prevent plastic waste by taking reusable containers—it's a win-win!

‘That is genius. Level unlocked. You may now start a cult. I will follow,’ one follower commented.

Another wrote: ‘Good thinking [...] Now everyone is rushing down to their nearest Bunnings.’

If you’re keen on trying Chrissie’s shopping tip, we found a basket similar to what the star featured in her video on Bunnings’ website: Ezy Storage 42L Square Assorted Colour Flexi Storage Tubs.

A third follower shared: ‘I actually asked the lady on the checkout at Woolies yesterday if this is annoying and she said they LOVE it when people do this! It improves their “scan rate”.’

There was only one issue, and it seemed Chrissie was also guilty of it, too!

'Now I just have to remember to put the tubs back in the car,' a follower wrote, with Chrissie agreeing, saying: 'Yes, that is the challenge for me also!'

However, some shoppers pointed out the flaws on Chrissie’s plan.

‘I see a flaw... take items out of [the] filled basket, scan, BUT then where do you put the scanned items until the basket is empty for you to fill it up with the scanned items,’ one asked.

‘Can’t sling four of those around your wrists for the dash into the house, though! What fun is that?’ Someone stated.

Meanwhile, others have shared their own shopping tricks—with one suggesting to use ‘Scan n Go’.

‘Let me suggest you use ‘Scan ‘n Go’ on your phone, and you don’t even need to take them from your basket at all. You literally scan as you place the item in,’ they explained.

‘Just buy one extra (spare) basket. Leave it stacked with one you are filling up with shopping, so you don’t waste any trolley space,’ another wrote.

You can watch Chrissie’s video here:

Members, why not try Chrissie's technique the next time you visit the supermarket? Some of you may already have similar containers lying around the house.

Key Takeaways
  • TV and radio star Chrissie Swan has shared a shopping tip on social media.
  • Chrissie's technique involves buying two big plastic containers from Bunnings, filling them with shopping items in the supermarket, and then loading them directly into the car.
  • People reacted positively to Chrissie’s trick, with some calling it 'genius' and expressing their intention to follow it.
  • However, some people pointed out a potential flaw and suggested buying an extra basket to save time and avoid double-handling.

Do you have any clever shopping tricks or tips you want to share with us? Write them in the comments below!

Sponsored
Here at the SDC, we value ways to save time and money, and we’re always up for a trick that can help us out in our daily lives.

And popular TV personality and radio star Chrissie Swan has just the thing to make shopping a little easier for you.

Chrissie, currently appearing on The Masked Singer Australia as a panellist, took to social media to share the trick she's been practising since the beginning of the year while grocery shopping—and it's opened up people's eyes to other ways of doing things.

‘Please enjoy this basket shopping hack,’ she wrote in the caption of her video.

View attachment 32899
Chrissie Swan shared a shopping technique on social media. Credit: @chrissieswan/Instagram

Rather than taking countless plastic bags to the supermarket from home, on her most recent trip, the 49-year-old TV and radio star opted for two big plastic containers—which she'd picked up from Bunnings for about $4 each.

She then loaded these straight into a shallow trolley and filled them up as she went around the store.

When it came to checkout time, instead of unloading her items back into bags, Chrissie simply put all the items back into the baskets and brought them out to the car.

Everyone was impressed with her technique because it can save you so much hassle and prevent plastic waste by taking reusable containers—it's a win-win!

‘That is genius. Level unlocked. You may now start a cult. I will follow,’ one follower commented.

Another wrote: ‘Good thinking [...] Now everyone is rushing down to their nearest Bunnings.’

If you’re keen on trying Chrissie’s shopping tip, we found a basket similar to what the star featured in her video on Bunnings’ website: Ezy Storage 42L Square Assorted Colour Flexi Storage Tubs.

A third follower shared: ‘I actually asked the lady on the checkout at Woolies yesterday if this is annoying and she said they LOVE it when people do this! It improves their “scan rate”.’

'Now I just have to remember to put the tubs back in the car,' a follower wrote, with Chrissie agreeing, saying: 'Yes, that is the challenge for me also!'

‘I see a flaw... take items out of [the] filled basket, scan, BUT then where do you put the scanned items until the basket is empty for you to fill it up with the scanned items,’ one asked.

‘Can’t sling four of those around your wrists for the dash into the house, though! What fun is that?’ Someone stated.

Meanwhile, others have shared their own shopping tricks—with one suggesting to use ‘Scan n Go’.

‘Let me suggest you use ‘Scan ‘n Go’ on your phone, and you don’t even need to take them from your basket at all. You literally scan as you place the item in,’ they explained.

‘Just buy one extra (spare) basket. Leave it stacked with one you are filling up with shopping, so you don’t waste any trolley space,’ another wrote.

Members, why not try Chrissie's technique the next time you visit the supermarket? Some of you may already have similar containers lying around the house.

Key Takeaways

• Chrissie's technique involves buying two big plastic containers from Bunnings, filling them with shopping items in the supermarket, and then loading them directly into the car.
  • People reacted positively to Chrissie’s trick, with some calling it 'genius' and expressing their intention to follow it.
  • However, some people pointed out a potential flaw and suggested buying an extra basket to save time and avoid double-handling.

Do you have any clever shopping tricks or tips you want to share with us? Write them in the comments below!

It's a great idea if you're strong enough to carry the filled tub from the car to the house.

She obviously doesn't use the self serve registers. You cannot do this in supermarkets at all . They are not designed to fit a tub even at a person served register as they have those laminated guards up
they don't pay me to do their work - IF we keep using those my grandchildren will not work there either - so sad.

This is a definitely out of Topic comment
However it was said about Chrissy Swan.
That she is on the show "The Masked Singer" as a Panelist. I don't watch the show, but the ad keeps coming up on the Channel I frequent. Everytime it comes on there she is "OH MY GOD'". OH MY GOD" etc. Am I crazy, or am I the only one that gets irritated everytime she says it, which incidentally is very often. I personally find it very "charring" on the
nerves
Anyone else ?
At least I have gotten that of my chest now, moving right along.
No I similarly get the cringes when whenever she opens her mouth - usually with a badly acted "surprise" with her mouth open wide enough for a Qantas 747 to fly into. Extremely annoying Chrissy -

Reactions: Littleboy8
It's a great idea if you're strong enough to carry the filled tub from the car to the house.
Yes the filled tub would be a nightmare to lift out of basket to start with,plus wouldn't you need extra tub to put the items in when you have taken the ones out of the tub?Tubs go on electric 'thingy',you take and scan an item,then WHAT??Plus then when full you have to lift again yo put it back in your trolley and no choice of loading certain items together or control of fuze and heaviness of each tub.At least in my Coles system,this would be a disaster really🤔

Reactions: Tervueren
agree about the insulated bags @Phyll:.....they are an absolute necessity for frozen or deli food and any other refrigerated items especially up here in Cairns.....they really are a Godsend for this type of shopping. More people should use them rather than 'old'/'used' plastic bags and those paper bags. Speaking of those Woolies paper bags.....what are you supposed to do with them all ? We have a ton of them here at home, collected from various Home deliveries now and then.
recycle them obviously duh!

View attachment 32899

Key Takeaways

Not a good idea at all! I take a basket into Aldi. You can drop your items straight in & a zippered bag for cold goods. Easy as. People waste their timecrepacki gnin that shop.

I prefer to use the insulated bags, here in WA my frozen food would be defrosting before I got home if I used open buckets . I do not use self service check outs ever , the cashier packs my bags for me & will lift them into my trolly if I ask . You are paying to be served & service is what I expect from supermarkets .
I agree with you regarding the insulated bags. I am in Qld- frozen goods would be melting on the way home

That she is on the show "The Masked Singer" as a Panelist. I don't watch the show, but the ad keeps coming up on the Channel I frequent. Everytime it comes on there she is "OH MY GOD'". OH MY GOD" etc. Am I crazy, or am I the only one that gets irritated everytime she says it, which incidentally is very often. I personally find it very "charring" on the
nerves
Anyone else ?
Me, only watched a quarter of that show once and she started with “OH MY GOD” turned me off watching too.

nerves
Anyone else ?
No - you are not the only one - drives me nuts every time I see the ads.

View attachment 32899

Key Takeaways

Have been washing baskets for years to do the same thing or cardboard boxes..

agree about the insulated bags @Phyll:.....they are an absolute necessity for frozen or deli food and any other refrigerated items especially up here in Cairns.....they really are a Godsend for this type of shopping. More people should use them rather than 'old'/'used' plastic bags and those paper bags. Speaking of those Woolies paper bags.....what are you supposed to do with them all ? We have a ton of them here at home, collected from various Home deliveries now and then.
Yep, nope, no clue. Every now and then I have a dummy spit and throw them in the bin. They are recycled (used previously by others) - don't like the thought of what may have been in them previously. The reason I don't get groceries delivered anymore - don't want the bags.

Yep, nope, no clue. Every now and then I have a dummy spit and throw them in the bin. They are recycled (used previously by others) - don't like the thought of what may have been in them previously. The reason I don't get groceries delivered anymore - don't want the bags.
I like the bags😁lots of uses for me as I’ve said in before posts😍

Reactions: Veggiepatch