Shoppers in shock: See the unbelievable condition of this TK Maxx store

TK Maxx is a popular store amongst shoppers who are on the hunt for bargains.

However, a recent incident at one of its Broadmeadows, Victoria stores has left customers shocked and outraged.

A disgruntled customer took to social media to share images of the store's chaotic state, sparking a heated debate about retail standards and customer responsibility.

The customer, who claimed to have over a decade of retail experience, expressed his disbelief at the disarray he encountered during his shopping trip.

'The last three times I've been to TK Maxx, it's been like this or worse,' he lamented. The photos showed aisles cluttered with merchandise, misplaced items, and discarded coffee cups.

0fd5cafb7a6e3d393a7c0d9879a85b37faf6d606.jpg
A customer shared photos of a disorganised TK Maxx store. Source: Facebook

Adding to his frustration, a blanket he purchased triggered the store's anti-theft sensors upon exit.

When he asked a staff member about a possible overlooked security device, he was told the blanket didn't have one. This incident led him to question the store's training practices.

The customer's post sparked a flurry of responses, with many sympathising with his experience.

‘Wow, that’s pretty bad. Never seen a store like this,’ someone wrote.

'I get some customers can be messy for whatever reason, but that's crazy messy, it looks as though they don't even do a recovery or even a store clean up,' one commenter noted.

Another suggested sending the photos to TK Maxx's head office or social media pages, citing the store's condition as unsightly and a potential trip hazard.

However, not everyone agreed with the criticism. One commenter defended the retailer, blaming customers for the mess.

‘It’s the feral customers, the staff don’t do this,’ they said.

Another person added: ‘Just let the staff know that someone has gone through the aisle, and there appears to be a hazard.’

In response to the controversy, a TK Maxx spokesperson stated, 'At TK Maxx, we strive to create an excellent shopping experience for all our customers.’

They continued: ‘We are aware of the recent post about our Broadmeadows store and are looking into it with the appropriate members of management.'

This incident raises important questions about the state of retail stores and who should be responsible for maintaining them.

While retailers undoubtedly have a duty to provide a clean, safe, and organised shopping environment, customers also play a role in preserving these conditions.

In the fast-paced world of retail, staff often juggle multiple tasks—from assisting customers to restocking shelves. However, maintaining store cleanliness and organisation is a continuous effort that can be undermined by careless customer behaviour.

Last year, a Macca’s employee has lashed out an online tirade against disrespectful customer behaviour. You can read more about that here.

On the other hand, customers can expect a certain level of cleanliness and organisation when they enter a store. A messy, disorganised store can be off-putting and even deter customers from returning.

Key Takeaways
  • A customer has expressed outrage over the disorganised state of a TK Maxx store in Broadmeadows, Victoria.
  • Shared images on social media show misshelved items and rubbish, such as old coffee cups on the shelves.
  • The customer suggested the issue could be related to a lack of staff training, and many agreed with his assessment, considering it a hazard.
  • TK Maxx has acknowledged the complaint and stated they are addressing the issue with management to improve the shopping experience.

What's your take on this, members? Have you encountered similar situations in your local stores? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored

However, a recent incident at one of its Broadmeadows, Victoria stores has left customers shocked and outraged.

A disgruntled customer took to social media to share images of the store's chaotic state, sparking a heated debate about retail standards and customer responsibility.

The customer, who claimed to have over a decade of retail experience, expressed his disbelief at the disarray he encountered during his shopping trip.

'The last three times I've been to TK Maxx, it's been like this or worse,' he lamented. The photos showed aisles cluttered with merchandise, misplaced items, and discarded coffee cups.

View attachment 39533

Adding to his frustration, a blanket he purchased triggered the store's anti-theft sensors upon exit.

When he asked a staff member about a possible overlooked security device, he was told the blanket didn't have one. This incident led him to question the store's training practices.

The customer's post sparked a flurry of responses, with many sympathising with his experience.

'I get some customers can be messy for whatever reason, but that's crazy messy, it looks as though they don't even do a recovery or even a store clean up,' one commenter noted.

Another suggested sending the photos to TK Maxx's head office or social media pages, citing the store's condition as unsightly and a potential trip hazard.

However, not everyone agreed with the criticism. One commenter defended the retailer, blaming customers for the mess.

Another person added: ‘Just let the staff know that someone has gone through the aisle, and there appears to be a hazard.’

In response to the controversy, a TK Maxx spokesperson stated, 'At TK Maxx, we strive to create an excellent shopping experience for all our customers.’

They continued: ‘We are aware of the recent post about our Broadmeadows store and are looking into it with the appropriate members of management.'

This incident raises important questions about the state of retail stores and who should be responsible for maintaining them.

While retailers undoubtedly have a duty to provide a clean, safe, and organised shopping environment, customers also play a role in preserving these conditions.

In the fast-paced world of retail, staff often juggle multiple tasks—from assisting customers to restocking shelves. However, maintaining store cleanliness and organisation is a continuous effort that can be undermined by careless customer behaviour.

Last year, a Macca’s employee has lashed out an online tirade against disrespectful customer behaviour. You can read more about that here.

On the other hand, customers can expect a certain level of cleanliness and organisation when they enter a store. A messy, disorganised store can be off-putting and even deter customers from returning.

Key Takeaways

• A customer has expressed outrage over the disorganised state of a TK Maxx store in Broadmeadows, Victoria.
  • Shared images on social media show misshelved items and rubbish, such as old coffee cups on the shelves.
  • The customer suggested the issue could be related to a lack of staff training, and many agreed with his assessment, considering it a hazard.
  • TK Maxx has acknowledged the complaint and stated they are addressing the issue with management to improve the shopping experience.

What's your take on this, members? Have you encountered similar situations in your local stores? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.
Hi I actually work in retail and I must say our store does not get that bad ,but in saying that I find we do have a lot of customers who do not care at all if they leave their cups of coffee and food on the shelves for us to place in the bins that are around the store they try clothing and footwear on and leave it all on the floor along with other products.We as staff only have 2 hands and can’t keep up with the mess I’m not saying it’s all customers there are great ones out there but a majority of them just don’t care.

Feral customers.

Begins with feral households and their residents who live in pigstys and as such do not see mess or dirt.

People living like this do not know enough or are just plain too lazy to clean and tidy their own surroundings (lead by example) or train their children to tidy up after themselves.

If you can live in these conditions, you'd have no issue with:

1. Opening packets of goods in stores and leaving them on shelves or floors;

2. Discarding drink /coffee cups / food wrappers on store shelves;

3. Dumping frozen / deli items on store shelves to spoil after changes of minds;

Generally outside of stores, feral people both old and young:

4. On a plane-yesterday's SDC article, dumping a dirty nappy/childrens' underwear;

5. Littering in trains / buses and bus shelters (I've sat on some animal's discarded chewing gum on a train ruining a new outfit - disgusting and expensive);

6. Littering in schools and destroying learning materials paid for by our tax dollars.

Ferals.

My daughter loves going into the TK MAX store in Hurstville but I will go in and walk straight back out because of the mess similar to the photo . I feel the mess gives it a bad vibe in the shop .

I worked in bridal and we were constantly tidying the racks. I remember one day as we were about to close a lady came in and must have pulled every dress out. I actually went over to her and told her we were about to close and have already straightened the racks. I normally would have let them look but this woman was just pulling dresses out and not looking at them .

Reactions: Ezzy

View attachment 39533

Key Takeaways

The feral customers are more likely to blame for the mess, having worked in retail for over 16 years, on shelves we found, dirty nappies, coffee cups, half eaten food, empty packets where the customer ate the contents without paying, half drunk bottles of soft drink the list goes on...as for the person complaining about the alarm going off a lot of things could have set it off, don't blame the staff for doing their job!!

I’ve never worked in retail and have always sympathised with staff having to tolerate difficult customers but this is truly appalling. My local Spotlight store gets rather untidy which I know is down to feral customers, why put something back when someone else will do it. Feel even more sympathy for retail workers now.

View attachment 39533

Key Takeaways

This happens in most retail shops now - the feral's think it's funny. Also a lot of the shops now don't have the staff to attend to cleaning straight away anymore.

The staff don’t pig it up,it’s the filthy clients who do that. I actually saw a woman standing on loaves of bread to reach a higher shelf then replacing them yesterday!!! Where the hell are these pigs born?? That said,it IS the staffs responsibility to make sure the aisles are neat and tidy,even though it’s unfair. Perhaps a full time cleaner to follow the feralS around so staff can do their real jobs.

View attachment 39533

Key Takeaways

Never buy from this shop - always disorganised, cheap prices for cheap products- anything half decent is expensive!
I sometimes look at the homewares section but have never bought anything.
Waste of retail space if you ask me.

Wait until you find underwear with a used pad inside. That was a shock to me, and that was an Op shop.
I constantly tidy up racks, but my pet peeve is when customers bring a pile of clothes, plonk on the counter and say, “put these back, I don’t want them” and walk out.

• Angry
Reactions: Ezzy and Liz
Broadmeadows. Enough said, that's the issue. Possibly an entitled unhappy known regular that has a five finger discount habit and probably being observed/followed by a staff member. Massive social issues in the Broadmeadows area. Surprised there's any retailer there other than $2 junk shops or vape shops selling chop chop. :eek:

View attachment 39533

Key Takeaways

If anyone has been to Tmax Burleigh it has the same interior decorator, change room was like a tip walked out in disgust 😒 😑.

My local TK Maxx isn't brimming with staff, so often it's rather messy as the skeleton staff are usually on the register. I've never bought clothes, however I have bought their tea towels, British coffee mugs, plates, American plates and their American umbrellas. I do feel for the staff.

Reactions: Mark1 and Davmes
My neighbour raves about our new TK Maxx store, personally didnt find anything there I would buy that I couldn't get elsewhere at a similar price.

I love going to TK Maxx and have been to a few different ones never having seen stores untidy. This includes Broadmeadows. I was at the Craigieburn store last year with my daughter and young granddaughter who was 3 at the time, and had she hurt herself. She was screaming and one of the young staff came over to ask if she was ok and if she could help which was lovely.
I find their prices very reasonable especially their children's clothing and never come out without buying anything.