Shoppers furious over errant trolleys in car park – who's to blame?

We've all done it before—walked into the grocery store with the intention of picking up only a few items but, after a 'quick' browse, ended up with an entire shopping trolley full. Yes, we, too, are just as guilty as anyone else, but hey, it happens!

But once we've loaded everything into our cars and are ready to leave, what do we do with the empty trolley? Well, most people would return it back to where they found it in the first place - one of those big metal cages they have in car parks for that specific purpose.

However, as any seasoned shopper knows, this isn't always the case. More often than not, you'll spot an errant trolley or two (or more) left abandoned in an empty car space or on the footpath. How frustrating!

It's like these thoughtless individuals have no consideration for anyone but themselves. They probably don't even realise how much trouble they're causing everyone else.

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 8.46.24 AM.png
Shoppers are annoyed by shopping trolleys left by 'lazy' motorists in the carpark. Credit: Facebook (left), Twitter (right).

Sadly, this seems to be a problem that's only getting worse by the day – especially at big supermarkets like Coles, which have become a target for social media ire over this very issue recently.

Shoppers have taken to social media in droves over recent weeks to express their frustrations at seeing high numbers of Coles trolleys placed randomly around supermarket car parks rather than being returned back into their rightful places in designated trolley bays.

And the culprits? Those 'lazy' motorists who can't be bothered walking an extra few metres!

'Coles, this is something I often see at shopping centres and supermarkets,' one concerned shopper wrote in a Facebook post.

Worse still is when these 'lazy' motorists actually damage other people's property; the woman went on to say that she witnessed a car get hit by a stray shopping cart, which is very worrying indeed (not to mention costly if it comes out of your own pocket!).

She asked: 'Who should be made responsible? Do we make Coles and giant supermarkets responsible for this? We need a change to ensure shoppers are responsible for returning these at designated areas.'

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 8.46.17 AM.png
These errant trolleys can damage an innocent shopper's vehicle. Credit: Facebook.

Social media users took notice of the woman's post, and many of her fellow Coles customers expressed similar disappointment.

'I hate those people!' one user wrote in the comments section, while another person shared that their friend's tail light got 'smashed' by a Coles trolley just the other day.

Others defended Coles in the matter, saying that it should be up to motorists to return trolleys to the designated areas. 'Why do Coles or the shopping complex have to be responsible for lazy people?' a third user said.

There are others, though, who suggested a more productive solution to the problem: introduce a coin-operated trolley system. This way, motorists can get an 'incentive' if they properly return shopping trolleys to their designated place.

Some also suggested having dedicated workers who will walk around to collect those 'stranded' trolleys.
Key Takeaways

• Coles shoppers have taken to social media to express their concerns about trolleys being left in random spots around supermarket car parks.
  • While trolleys are meant to be placed in designated trolley bays, some motorists choose to leave them in empty car spaces, walkways and up against parked cars.
  • Many suggested that a coin-operated trolley system would help to curb the problem.
We hope that Coles will take the concern of its customers seriously and do something to help solve this problem once and for all. In the meantime, we encourage all of our members to do their part by returning their trolleys to the designated bays after use if they can.

What do you think, members – whose responsibility is it really? Is it time for supermarkets like Coles to step up and start taking action against these inconsiderate individuals, or should shoppers take matters into their own hands instead? Let us know your thoughts down below!

Sponsored
I have to admit that I am sometimes guilty of not returning my trolley to the right place. At my local shopping centre there is not a trolley return within cooee of the disabled parking which seems crazy to me. If I don't have a walking aid I can't walk more than about 25 metres (on a good day) so the walk from the trolley return back to my car is impossible. I have mentioned this to the shopping centre as I can't be the only one having trouble but I think they are of the opinion that the trolley boys keep the problem down to acceptable levels.;)

I always return trolleys, the biggest problem is finding a trolley bay anywhere in sight. Our local has only one trolley bay throughout the whole underground parking. It is both the fault of lazy shoppers and the building owners for not catering for people using trolleys.

We've all done it before—walked into the grocery store with the intention of picking up only a few items but, after a 'quick' browse, ended up with an entire shopping trolley full. Yes, we, too, are just as guilty as anyone else, but hey, it happens!

But once we've loaded everything into our cars and are ready to leave, what do we do with the empty trolley? Well, most people would return it back to where they found it in the first place - one of those big metal cages they have in car parks for that specific purpose.

However, as any seasoned shopper knows, this isn't always the case. More often than not, you'll spot an errant trolley or two (or more) left abandoned in an empty car space or on the footpath. How frustrating!

It's like these thoughtless individuals have no consideration for anyone but themselves. They probably don't even realise how much trouble they're causing everyone else.

View attachment 7438
Shoppers are annoyed by shopping trolleys left by 'lazy' motorists in the carpark. Credit: Facebook (left), Twitter (right).

Sadly, this seems to be a problem that's only getting worse by the day – especially at big supermarkets like Coles, which have become a target for social media ire over this very issue recently.

Shoppers have taken to social media in droves over recent weeks to express their frustrations at seeing high numbers of Coles trolleys placed randomly around supermarket car parks rather than being returned back into their rightful places in designated trolley bays.

And the culprits? Those 'lazy' motorists who can't be bothered walking an extra few metres!

'Coles, this is something I often see at shopping centres and supermarkets,' one concerned shopper wrote in a Facebook post.

Worse still is when these 'lazy' motorists actually damage other people's property; the woman went on to say that she witnessed a car get hit by a stray shopping cart, which is very worrying indeed (not to mention costly if it comes out of your own pocket!).

She asked: 'Who should be made responsible? Do we make Coles and giant supermarkets responsible for this? We need a change to ensure shoppers are responsible for returning these at designated areas.'

View attachment 7439
These errant trolleys can damage an innocent shopper's vehicle. Credit: Facebook.

Social media users took notice of the woman's post, and many of her fellow Coles customers expressed similar disappointment.

'I hate those people!' one user wrote in the comments section, while another person shared that their friend's tail light got 'smashed' by a Coles trolley just the other day.

Others defended Coles in the matter, saying that it should be up to motorists to return trolleys to the designated areas. 'Why do Coles or the shopping complex have to be responsible for lazy people?' a third user said.

There are others, though, who suggested a more productive solution to the problem: introduce a coin-operated trolley system. This way, motorists can get an 'incentive' if they properly return shopping trolleys to their designated place.

Some also suggested having dedicated workers who will walk around to collect those 'stranded' trolleys.
Key Takeaways

• Coles shoppers have taken to social media to express their concerns about trolleys being left in random spots around supermarket car parks.
  • While trolleys are meant to be placed in designated trolley bays, some motorists choose to leave them in empty car spaces, walkways and up against parked cars.
  • Many suggested that a coin-operated trolley system would help to curb the problem.
We hope that Coles will take the concern of its customers seriously and do something to help solve this problem once and for all. In the meantime, we encourage all of our members to do their part by returning their trolleys to the designated bays after use if they can.

What do you think, members – whose responsibility is it really? Is it time for supermarkets like Coles to step up and start taking action against these inconsiderate individuals, or should shoppers take matters into their own hands instead? Let us know your thoughts down below!
I totally agree with the coin operated solution. In Aldi s case it has proven to be relatively successful!

View attachment 7438

View attachment 7439

Key Takeaways

You don't have this problem in Aldi car parks. Trolley tokens is the way to stop this

Coins will work, as kids might even returnnthe trolley to get the coin out! In our little shopping centre there are Coles and Aldi employees who pick them up, not just from the bay, but also the "stranded ones" in the car park. So you could argue "they have a job because of certain people".... All that aside: it s not COLES, WOOLIES or aldi that are responsible for that behaviour, but the shoppers! which means all of us! It s about time that people accept responsibility for their behaviour and not blame others (govenment, schools, supermarkets) for their own short comings.

I totally agree with the coin operated solution. In Aldi s case it has proven to be relatively successful!
It is very successful for Aldi when they are in shopping centers. The majority of their customers take trolleys from Coles or Woolies to use because they are free to use and dump. I have seen this many times in Melbourne where there are a few supermarkets in a shopping center.

When Coles used to have coin operated trolleys, customers complained.
They are trialing a system in a Coles in Melbourne where you use your eftpos card to get a trolley. I think that you give Coles a $2.00 credit to join. Tap (?) your card when getting a trolley and the card gets debited, once returned the $2.00 is refunded.
That’s the gist of it. I think, from memory, that is how the Coles worker explained it when they first started with the idea. I didn’t like the idea of giving my card details so I didn’t do it. Therefore, I only got little things from that particular Coles because no credit no trolley.

Yep! Please return the coin operated trolley. Some People are are just pure lazy. Please Coles ! Do return the coin trolley. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

View attachment 7438

View attachment 7439

Key Takeaways

all supermarket trolleys should be set exactly like Aldi's trolleys, people should have to put $2 in them making people return the trolley to get their money back

Coin-operated trolleys were brought in in Canberra when I lived there years ago, and worked well. Moved back to regional NSW, where only Aldi used them, and not only are the carparks a nightmare, but so are the streets within about half a kilometre of the shops. During the floods they also blocked drainage and became damaging missiles.

View attachment 7438

View attachment 7439

Key Takeaways

What do you think, members – whose responsibility is it really? Is it time for supermarkets like Coles to step up and start taking action against these inconsiderate individuals, or should shoppers take mater when they leave I then walk the trolley to the stand with mine in tow
If I see a lazy shopper do that right in front of my eye where they put the trolley next to my car I promptly put the trolley behind their car so they hit it and damaged their car. When done I then return that trolley and mine to the stand. Love seeing the look on the drivers face when they hear the bang. Hehehe

View attachment 7438

View attachment 7439

Key Takeaways

There certainly are some thoughtless, extremely lazy individuals around! How hard is it to return your trolley ? My new car now has a small dint in the back driver side door that looks like it could have been from a trolley! My other pet peeve is those that put the small trolley into the bay for the larger ones, lazy sods!!

Same as you Ricci, l find disabled parking areas very disapointing, there should be more as people are living longer these days and a lot will have disability problems. l am still seeing the same amount of disabled parking areas as years ago and same as you the trolley returns are usually way off in the distance. l have trouble after a major leg wound and cannot walk very far at all.

Coins will work, as kids might even returnnthe trolley to get the coin out! In our little shopping centre there are Coles and Aldi employees who pick them up, not just from the bay, but also the "stranded ones" in the car park. So you could argue "they have a job because of certain people".... All that aside: it s not COLES, WOOLIES or aldi that are responsible for that behaviour, but the shoppers! which means all of us! It s about time that people accept responsibility for their behaviour and not blame others (govenment, schools, supermarkets) for their own short comings.
I agree with you that the shoppers have to take responsibility For the trolley. There’s so much laziness these days. Look at the food courts - even though there are rubbish and recycling bins, it gets left on the tables for cleaning staff. So much is taken for granted in today’s age. I think Coles and Woolworths should do the same as Aldi and have coin-operated or store token trolleys. This would also help stop their trolleys ending up kilometres away in the suburbs dumped in parks and waterways and getting damaged. I’ve come back to my car numerous times to find trolleys left against my car by the lazy person who was parked beside me and there was a trolley bay just 4 cars and the exit doors from the shops to the left from where we were parked.