Shoppers furious over errant trolleys in car park – who's to blame?

We've all done it before—walked into the grocery store with the intention of picking up only a few items but, after a 'quick' browse, ended up with an entire shopping trolley full. Yes, we, too, are just as guilty as anyone else, but hey, it happens!

But once we've loaded everything into our cars and are ready to leave, what do we do with the empty trolley? Well, most people would return it back to where they found it in the first place - one of those big metal cages they have in car parks for that specific purpose.

However, as any seasoned shopper knows, this isn't always the case. More often than not, you'll spot an errant trolley or two (or more) left abandoned in an empty car space or on the footpath. How frustrating!

It's like these thoughtless individuals have no consideration for anyone but themselves. They probably don't even realise how much trouble they're causing everyone else.

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 8.46.24 AM.png
Shoppers are annoyed by shopping trolleys left by 'lazy' motorists in the carpark. Credit: Facebook (left), Twitter (right).

Sadly, this seems to be a problem that's only getting worse by the day – especially at big supermarkets like Coles, which have become a target for social media ire over this very issue recently.

Shoppers have taken to social media in droves over recent weeks to express their frustrations at seeing high numbers of Coles trolleys placed randomly around supermarket car parks rather than being returned back into their rightful places in designated trolley bays.

And the culprits? Those 'lazy' motorists who can't be bothered walking an extra few metres!

'Coles, this is something I often see at shopping centres and supermarkets,' one concerned shopper wrote in a Facebook post.

Worse still is when these 'lazy' motorists actually damage other people's property; the woman went on to say that she witnessed a car get hit by a stray shopping cart, which is very worrying indeed (not to mention costly if it comes out of your own pocket!).

She asked: 'Who should be made responsible? Do we make Coles and giant supermarkets responsible for this? We need a change to ensure shoppers are responsible for returning these at designated areas.'

Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 8.46.17 AM.png
These errant trolleys can damage an innocent shopper's vehicle. Credit: Facebook.

Social media users took notice of the woman's post, and many of her fellow Coles customers expressed similar disappointment.

'I hate those people!' one user wrote in the comments section, while another person shared that their friend's tail light got 'smashed' by a Coles trolley just the other day.

Others defended Coles in the matter, saying that it should be up to motorists to return trolleys to the designated areas. 'Why do Coles or the shopping complex have to be responsible for lazy people?' a third user said.

There are others, though, who suggested a more productive solution to the problem: introduce a coin-operated trolley system. This way, motorists can get an 'incentive' if they properly return shopping trolleys to their designated place.

Some also suggested having dedicated workers who will walk around to collect those 'stranded' trolleys.
Key Takeaways

• Coles shoppers have taken to social media to express their concerns about trolleys being left in random spots around supermarket car parks.
  • While trolleys are meant to be placed in designated trolley bays, some motorists choose to leave them in empty car spaces, walkways and up against parked cars.
  • Many suggested that a coin-operated trolley system would help to curb the problem.
We hope that Coles will take the concern of its customers seriously and do something to help solve this problem once and for all. In the meantime, we encourage all of our members to do their part by returning their trolleys to the designated bays after use if they can.

What do you think, members – whose responsibility is it really? Is it time for supermarkets like Coles to step up and start taking action against these inconsiderate individuals, or should shoppers take matters into their own hands instead? Let us know your thoughts down below!

Sponsored
What bugs me is when people mix up the big and small trolleys and shove them in anyhow in the trolley bay.
I have found that especially during covid. It seems a bit better lately. So annoying I have to walk right around to the next lane to get to the right size.

Reactions: Ricci
The trolleys left around car parks and the neighbourhood is an easy fix. ALL trolleys need to be coin operated and ALL shopping centre car parks should have the WHEEL LOCK perimeter strip. There are ZERO thefts of trolleys with the special wheel and perimeter strip. Anyone who attempts to wheel their trolley past the painted perimeter line is stopped in their tracks instantly. Imagine it...no more trolleys dumped in parks, ditches, or anywhere outside the shopping centre. It works a treat in shopping centres overseas. And the coin operated trolleys are the norm overseas. Sure the lazy, inconsiderate shoppers still leave their trolleys around the lot but they are almost immediately returned by other shoppers or kids or homeless people to retrieve the coin. These two simple things (coin operated and wheel lock) would prevent and stop the trolley problems. It's such an easy fix yet Australian businesses are not doing it. The cost of damage in car parks and stolen trolleys littering the community is disgusting. Trolleys can cost up to $600 each so how stupid are the store owners that they don't fix this problem.
PS I have reported the locations of dumped trolleys to customer service in Coles and re reaction I got was 100% disinterest.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 0
We've all done it before—walked into the grocery store with the intention of picking up only a few items but, after a 'quick' browse, ended up with an entire shopping trolley full. Yes, we, too, are just as guilty as anyone else, but hey, it happens!

But once we've loaded everything into our cars and are ready to leave, what do we do with the empty trolley? Well, most people would return it back to where they found it in the first place - one of those big metal cages they have in car parks for that specific purpose.

However, as any seasoned shopper knows, this isn't always the case. More often than not, you'll spot an errant trolley or two (or more) left abandoned in an empty car space or on the footpath. How frustrating!

It's like these thoughtless individuals have no consideration for anyone but themselves. They probably don't even realise how much trouble they're causing everyone else.

View attachment 7438
Shoppers are annoyed by shopping trolleys left by 'lazy' motorists in the carpark. Credit: Facebook (left), Twitter (right).

Sadly, this seems to be a problem that's only getting worse by the day – especially at big supermarkets like Coles, which have become a target for social media ire over this very issue recently.

Shoppers have taken to social media in droves over recent weeks to express their frustrations at seeing high numbers of Coles trolleys placed randomly around supermarket car parks rather than being returned back into their rightful places in designated trolley bays.

And the culprits? Those 'lazy' motorists who can't be bothered walking an extra few metres!

'Coles, this is something I often see at shopping centres and supermarkets,' one concerned shopper wrote in a Facebook post.

Worse still is when these 'lazy' motorists actually damage other people's property; the woman went on to say that she witnessed a car get hit by a stray shopping cart, which is very worrying indeed (not to mention costly if it comes out of your own pocket!).

She asked: 'Who should be made responsible? Do we make Coles and giant supermarkets responsible for this? We need a change to ensure shoppers are responsible for returning these at designated areas.'

View attachment 7439
These errant trolleys can damage an innocent shopper's vehicle. Credit: Facebook.

Social media users took notice of the woman's post, and many of her fellow Coles customers expressed similar disappointment.

'I hate those people!' one user wrote in the comments section, while another person shared that their friend's tail light got 'smashed' by a Coles trolley just the other day.

Others defended Coles in the matter, saying that it should be up to motorists to return trolleys to the designated areas. 'Why do Coles or the shopping complex have to be responsible for lazy people?' a third user said.

There are others, though, who suggested a more productive solution to the problem: introduce a coin-operated trolley system. This way, motorists can get an 'incentive' if they properly return shopping trolleys to their designated place.

Some also suggested having dedicated workers who will walk around to collect those 'stranded' trolleys.
Key Takeaways

• Coles shoppers have taken to social media to express their concerns about trolleys being left in random spots around supermarket car parks.
  • While trolleys are meant to be placed in designated trolley bays, some motorists choose to leave them in empty car spaces, walkways and up against parked cars.
  • Many suggested that a coin-operated trolley system would help to curb the problem.
We hope that Coles will take the concern of its customers seriously and do something to help solve this problem once and for all. In the meantime, we encourage all of our members to do their part by returning their trolleys to the designated bays after use if they can.

What do you think, members – whose responsibility is it really? Is it time for supermarkets like Coles to step up and start taking action against these inconsiderate individuals, or should shoppers take matters into their own hands instead? Let us know your thoughts down below!
I always return my trolley at the designated bay. But always find one near my car!!!!!

View attachment 7438

View attachment 7439

Key Takeaways

In Queensland, we have trolly collectors but they can be as lazy as those who leave their trollies around everywhere. In the shopping centre I go to there is a Woolies, Coles & Aldi. So I have the best of choices to shop at, although I never shop at Coles ever. They seem to have the best trolly collectors

People are just lazy & selfish today. I use the Aldi token(99cents) so don't have to hunt for a $1 coin. No stray trollies at Aldi but plenty at other supermarkets Coles,Woolworths & Foodland plus in the suburb streets. If I shop at these stores I return to the bay.

I have to admit that I am sometimes guilty of not returning my trolley to the right place. At my local shopping centre there is not a trolley return within cooee of the disabled parking which seems crazy to me. If I don't have a walking aid I can't walk more than about 25 metres (on a good day) so the walk from the trolley return back to my car is impossible. I have mentioned this to the shopping centre as I can't be the only one having trouble but I think they are of the opinion that the trolley boys keep the problem down to acceptable levels.;)
How do you get from your car to the trolley when you first arrive at the supermarket?

View attachment 7438

View attachment 7439

Key Takeaways

Humans

View attachment 7438

View attachment 7439

Key Takeaways

How do you get from your car to the trolley when you first arrive at the supermarket?
There are usually other trolleys left by other disabled people and I get one of those.:) Otherwise I get my mobility scooter out of the boot and go without a trolley and only buy the essentials or do two or more trips round the shop.

Reactions: Ian1

View attachment 7438

View attachment 7439

Key Takeaways

ho We've all done it before—walked into the grocery store with the intention of picking up only a few items but, after a 'quick' browse, ended up with an entire shopping trolley full. Yes, we, too, are just as guilty as anyone else, but hey, it happens!

View attachment 7438

View attachment 7439

Key Takeaways

This problem is a joint one: a) we’re dealing people with people who are too lazy to be considerate of others, and take a minute or two to take their trolley to the trolley bay, b) we’re dealing with a couple of large supermarket companies, who seem to be too skint to install a coin-operated system. It is amazing how much more trouble we’ll go to to retrieve their gold coin deposit!

I have mobility issues and always return my trolley.
Me too. It’s a bit of a hobble, but I hate seeing a trolley against a car. One day last week it was blowing hard. As I was about to get into my car a couple of women had removed two bags and abandoned their trolly on the sloping footpath. Gust of wind and it started to move towards the parked cars. I called out and the younger women kicked it back up the kerb. I said ‘might be better in the trolley bay.’ Her reply was’F#@$ Off! Really? I muttered ‘Wonder what charm school you went to?’ Just closed my door when she came ranting towards my car and slammed the heels of both hands into my driver’s window. I totally ignored her, reversed out of the space and was tail-gated out of the carpark. Got her number, but no point reporting it is there.

• Wow

View attachment 7438

View attachment 7439

Key Takeaways

I totally agree with reader's comments about lazy shoppers. The habit is avoidable. I wonder if at home these people use something, put it down anywhere & walk away? I thought l had seen it all recently when a lady pushed a trolley approx. 25 metres from the shop & abandoned the trolley just in front of the shopping centre's glass sliding doors, taking her half a bag of shopping to her car. HONESTLY? You couldn't carry half a bag, you needed a trolley? No she was not a senior, walked without an impairment & was about 40 years old.

If shops do not want to have people use a credit card or gold coin, what about a token? Have shoppers buy tokens from the store for a trolley. One is enough for a shopper, use this for the trolley & recover the same when returning the trolley as before or would some shoppers remain unchanged? Anyone going to a Casino needs tokens to play, why not shopping too?

Simple: coin operated trolleys..so much damage to cars often with runaway trolleys. So many self centred lazy people leaving trolleys wherever in car parks.

I totally agree with the coin operated solution. In Aldi s case it has proven to be relatively successful!
Wherever I shop in Melbourne, the majority of stores have the coin system for trolley use; however, there is a backlash to this system and I have been 'caught' by the insolent persons trolley 'discharge'. LEAVING 2 TROLLEYS LINKED IN A CAR SPACE, locked by using another trolley coin remover LOCKED in another trolley coin slot!!!!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci