Shoppers furious about Kmart’s 'age-inappropriate' book

In the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, parents and grandparents are always on the lookout for the perfect gifts for their little ones.

However, a recent discovery at Kmart has left some parents shocked and questioning the appropriateness of a particular children's Christmas book.

A concerned mother recently took to social media to express her dismay over a children's Christmas book titled Santa's Stuck, which she stumbled upon in the reading aisle of her local Kmart.

The book, priced at $8 and written by Rosie Greening, has a red, squishy rubber object in the shape of Santa's bottom in the middle of the cardboard pages.

SDC Images (12).png
A mum criticised a book being sold at Kmart. Image source: TikTok/@kellanne23.

The unusual feature, which children can poke and squeeze, is present on every book page.

The mum expressed her disbelief and concern over the book's appropriateness for children.

'I'm here at Kmart, right? I'm in the children's area, as you can see I stumbled upon this, and…it’s not for kids,' she said.

As the mum poked Santa's behind, she added: 'Even though they're squishy—why is this a book for children?'

'Maybe as a sensory thing, but it's not right for kids.'

You can watch the full video below:

Video source: TikTok/@kellanne23.​

The video quickly gained attention and sparked a debate among social media users. Some agreed with the mother's sentiment, expressing their concern over the book's content with one saying: 'Good to bring to our attention! That book company knows what they are doing.'

Understanding the Importance of Age-Appropriate Content

While the book may seem harmless or even amusing to some, it's essential to understand the importance of age-appropriate content for children.

Children's books play a crucial role in shaping a child's understanding of the world around them. They can influence a child's behaviour, values, and perceptions.

Therefore, it's crucial that the content children are exposed to is suitable for their age and developmental stage. While humour and fun are important elements of children's literature, they should not cross the line into inappropriate or potentially confusing territory.

The incident highlights the subjective nature of appropriateness in children's literature—what one parent finds offensive, another might see as harmless fun.

It's a reminder that parents and caregivers should always review children's books and toys before purchase to ensure they align with their own values and comfort levels.
Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart shopper has criticised the store for stocking a children's Christmas book she deems inappropriate.
  • The book, titled Santa’s Stuck, features a squishy rubber object shaped like Santa’s bottom, which children can poke.
  • The woman believes the book is unsuitable for children despite possible sensory benefits.
What's your take on this, members? Do you think the book is inappropriate, or is it just harmless fun? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Today's parents waste too much time on things like the appropriateness of toys. This book presumably would have gone through a process and been deemed age appropriate before release.

Problems are evident due to many parents having too little concern about things that count including:

1. Teaching children good manners. Parents are role models, they should be conscious of this responsibility (24/7);

2. Teaching children to be kind (24/7 same as above);

3. Allowing for input from others. Extended family and friends are valuable sources. It takes a village to raise a child;

4. Not using discretion/wisdom when buying every consumer targeted toy/thing regardless of cost;

5. Instilling a principle of care for possessions bought at substantial cost to ensure their children know to respect them. Countless school aged children are displaying uncaring attitudes (breaking /destroying clothes, shoes, bags, pens, notebooks, laptops and other items). This attitude is accompanied by 'there's more where that came from'. The care principle should be taught from infancy;

6. Failing to prevent their children from using tech/internet inappropriately.

End of rant.

In the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, parents and grandparents are always on the lookout for the perfect gifts for their little ones.

However, a recent discovery at Kmart has left some parents shocked and questioning the appropriateness of a particular children's Christmas book.

A concerned mother recently took to social media to express her dismay over a children's Christmas book titled Santa's Stuck, which she stumbled upon in the reading aisle of her local Kmart.

The book, priced at $8 and written by Rosie Greening, has a red, squishy rubber object in the shape of Santa's bottom in the middle of the cardboard pages.

View attachment 35854

The unusual feature, which children can poke and squeeze, is present on every book page.

The mum expressed her disbelief and concern over the book's appropriateness for children.

'I'm here at Kmart, right? I'm in the children's area, as you can see I stumbled upon this, and…it’s not for kids,' she said.

As the mum poked Santa's behind, she added: 'Even though they're squishy—why is this a book for children?'

The video quickly gained attention and sparked a debate among social media users. Some agreed with the mother's sentiment, expressing their concern over the book's content with one saying: 'Good to bring to our attention! That book company knows what they are doing.'

While the book may seem harmless or even amusing to some, it's essential to understand the importance of age-appropriate content for children.

Children's books play a crucial role in shaping a child's understanding of the world around them. They can influence a child's behaviour, values, and perceptions.

Therefore, it's crucial that the content children are exposed to is suitable for their age and developmental stage. While humour and fun are important elements of children's literature, they should not cross the line into inappropriate or potentially confusing territory.

The incident highlights the subjective nature of appropriateness in children's literature—what one parent finds offensive, another might see as harmless fun.

It's a reminder that parents and caregivers should always review children's books and toys before purchase to ensure they align with their own values and comfort levels.
Key Takeaways

• A Kmart shopper has criticised the store for stocking a children's Christmas book she deems inappropriate.
  • The book, titled Santa’s Stuck, features a squishy rubber object shaped like Santa’s bottom, which children can poke.
  • The woman believes the book is unsuitable for children despite possible sensory benefits.
What's your take on this, members? Do you think the book is inappropriate, or is it just harmless fun? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

OMG - this woman needs to get a life - if she deems it's inappropriate for HER child, then lady don't buy it. Remember people it's the parent who buys & pays for this not the child.

Nothing new here in this day and age......just another example of how low our Moral Barometer has fallen in society these days....of course they won't object to this book for littlies, the same that they won't object to teaching 5 year olds about sex in schools....just more of Life's mysteries in the 21st Century. 🤔😉

View attachment 35854

Key Takeaways

For god's sake woman ''BUILD A BRIDGE & GET OVER IT'" This is harmless, like, as if kids are going to run around ,poking everyone in the bum with there fingers! DEAL WITH IT!

It’s a foolishness…..kids love pressing anything that makes a sound, especially if it’s big and red…..I could MAYBE see a point if it was a bare bum…..but it’s not………..each parent has the right to choose for their children but I think it would be fun pressing Santa’s bum……

View attachment 35854

Key Takeaways

Are you kidding? Get over it lady! What is the world coming too, seems like we are becoming far too politically correct and take offense at everything. This woman needs to wake up to herself and get a life!

View attachment 35854

Key Takeaways

Considering some people's pervertnes in our society as it is, I personally feel it inappropriate. If an adult book , yes, it would be seen as being cheeky. Young children below 4 might poke and giggle because they are innocent. Older to teens are taking that to awkward moments and definitely cross the line for decency. You wouldn't do that far less think it. You have grandparents (if you are lucky enough) or an older person whom you have as a role model. Doesn't teach or back up respectful behaviour.

Reactions: magpie1
It’s a foolishness…..kids love pressing anything that makes a sound, especially if it’s big and red…..I could MAYBE see a point if it was a bare bum…..but it’s not………..each parent has the right to choose for their children but I think it would be fun pressing Santa’s bum……
That's ok, but from a man dressed up as Santa standing or walking around in front of your child; child having read this book or had it read to them, then thinks " there's Santa, I'll poke his bottom" then does it. How is this person going to react. Laugh or "excuse me young man / lady!"
Hopefully he ignores it for your sake.

That's ok, but from a man dressed up as Santa standing or walking around in front of your child; child having read this book or had it read to them, then thinks " there's Santa, I'll poke his bottom" then does it. How is this person going to react. Laugh or "excuse me young man / lady!"
Hopefully he ignores it for your sake.
I’d give children more credit than that…..