Shoppers bewildered by ‘outrageous’ $17 bikini set – “Imagine our fathers seeing us in this…”

Trigger Warning: This article contains immodest pictures related to the story. If this makes you uncomfortable, we highly recommend you skip the article altogether.

Fashion trends are known to rapidly change from time to time. But nowadays, it seems that as the days go by, so does the amount of fabric (or lack thereof) in trendy clothing. From rocking bell-bottom pants, tie-dyed shirts, and thinly plucked eyebrows, people are now flaunting massive lips, cropped tops, and well… Barely anything.

A well-known online clothing retailer, Fashion Nova, has been met with massive criticism for showcasing a ‘barely-there’ bikini that people claim is completely inappropriate even for the beach.

The Butterfly Babe two-piece bikini, retailing for $17.60, was put up for sale over the weekend. Safe to say, it stole the attention of thousands for all the wrong reasons.

Fashion Nova posted a photo of the provocative outfit on its official Instagram account, reading: “Well, this will leave an interesting tan mark. Our bikini will have everyone feeling a little extra hot this summer.”

While the bright blue bikini top was nothing out of the ordinary, the matching bottoms left shoppers gobsmacked. It was a thin piece of fabric that hardly covered the model’s, er, sensitive areas...

mzahLGBvAs_SnUDXKvDZDEspMVHjaWOz2IYLZUPMaMJwAQu5WBhJ1KnP7jkzCLlpBUAv0cWkO3k3mY4sLMWAOVOqi9y_is0PPptv1AeTRfpyZS-zzyWOrpbg9sOlXttewDUhqWNCnZJM_mFA6JM
_0UL9ouLx5Qc0Nn-xH4c-mGi1zoQ21kykbu4k6aAIGu1nBj5LX6Db3rrJCTprYtHDI5s7DUvtp2k3YC9Ukp0YwP2rda5ECo2kp0jmBkn1asRHGJHMl5xa0ptYuAMFbszRKnoX3HJuBJk23NFcGA

Err… What? Image Credit: Fashion Nova

The bottoms feature a gem-studded butterfly just above the crotch area, holding the whole piece together.

Several users were enraged by the bikini set, with one warning that the clothing retailer could have women arrested for “indecent exposure”.

“What is with this style? May as well be naked.” another person hissed.

A third said that the swimwear was pointless and that wearers should “just swim bottomless at this point”.

Some suggested that the bikini should only be used in the bedroom as it isn’t appropriate for any outdoor use.

“Perfect for the family pool party.” a fifth mocked.

i-_wNeWCe6a2R4z1PYHmnpQ1YQA00ckDowQ5-MjCxUysbhhODV89xWKtxlgSAh5K1MOhItyrj_acROca0zbpAlDqqbc0m7tmmAs3zzDHKThNBNgpP9nWuCp0NQkmGki2plvtfCbxVlkzTcS914I
LnCr9oC9q1rNMIJhJG_tS1k2zw58CwhDm2W40SfGDejIel0iDVdfX2jqqj-CFpfmN6p99HGLgYuTaY7X_IjN2Nq9nkBEFVO0e-NwucpftjKCgETKW7MPzySRqx_s4jU8ai_HHJ_7bmIDIFi_cso

Several users were enraged in the comments. Image Credit: @fashionnova

“It doesn’t matter how perfect is the body... It’s just a no!!” added one more.

“LOL, imagine our fathers seeing us in this,” another woman commented.

Fashion Nova has yet to respond to the backlash they have been receiving and it’s unclear whether the controversy was a way to acquire strong sales and promotion for the brand.

However, there were a few users who adored the risqué bikini set, with some saying that they ‘needed’ to get their hands on it.

“I need [this]!” one person wrote.

“Definitely adding to my wish list.” chimed another.

Post Credit: @fashionnova

But this isn’t the first time a daring outfit made the rounds online. A Chinese clothing retailer, Shein, has also faced intense criticism in the past for their inappropriate styles and low-quality items.

What are your thoughts on Fashion Nova’s Butterfly Babe two-piece bikini? Share them with us in the comments! We’d love to hear them.

Sponsored
And, of course, she wouldn't/couldn't possibly get upset if what you considered to be merely looking for more than 30 seconds she considered to be perving, ay? "If you've got it, flaunt it," seems to be the message. But don't complain if you attract more attention than you wanted. Then, of course, if that attention leads to a serious situation, it's all simebody else's fault, not hers.

Last edited:
Trigger Warning: This article contains immodest pictures related to the story. If this makes you uncomfortable, we highly recommend you skip the article altogether.

Fashion trends are known to rapidly change from time to time. But nowadays, it seems that as the days go by, so does the amount of fabric (or lack thereof) in trendy clothing. From rocking bell-bottom pants, tie-dyed shirts, and thinly plucked eyebrows, people are now flaunting massive lips, cropped tops, and well… Barely anything.

A well-known online clothing retailer, Fashion Nova, has been met with massive criticism for showcasing a ‘barely-there’ bikini that people claim is completely inappropriate even for the beach.

The Butterfly Babe two-piece bikini, retailing for $17.60, was put up for sale over the weekend. Safe to say, it stole the attention of thousands for all the wrong reasons.

Fashion Nova posted a photo of the provocative outfit on its official Instagram account, reading: “Well, this will leave an interesting tan mark. Our bikini will have everyone feeling a little extra hot this summer.”

While the bright blue bikini top was nothing out of the ordinary, the matching bottoms left shoppers gobsmacked. It was a thin piece of fabric that hardly covered the model’s, er, sensitive areas...

mzahLGBvAs_SnUDXKvDZDEspMVHjaWOz2IYLZUPMaMJwAQu5WBhJ1KnP7jkzCLlpBUAv0cWkO3k3mY4sLMWAOVOqi9y_is0PPptv1AeTRfpyZS-zzyWOrpbg9sOlXttewDUhqWNCnZJM_mFA6JM
_0UL9ouLx5Qc0Nn-xH4c-mGi1zoQ21kykbu4k6aAIGu1nBj5LX6Db3rrJCTprYtHDI5s7DUvtp2k3YC9Ukp0YwP2rda5ECo2kp0jmBkn1asRHGJHMl5xa0ptYuAMFbszRKnoX3HJuBJk23NFcGA

The bottoms feature a gem-studded butterfly just above the crotch area, holding the whole piece together.

Several users were enraged by the bikini set, with one warning that the clothing retailer could have women arrested for “indecent exposure”.

A third said that the swimwear was pointless and that wearers should “just swim bottomless at this point”.

Some suggested that the bikini should only be used in the bedroom as it isn’t appropriate for any outdoor use.

i-_wNeWCe6a2R4z1PYHmnpQ1YQA00ckDowQ5-MjCxUysbhhODV89xWKtxlgSAh5K1MOhItyrj_acROca0zbpAlDqqbc0m7tmmAs3zzDHKThNBNgpP9nWuCp0NQkmGki2plvtfCbxVlkzTcS914I
LnCr9oC9q1rNMIJhJG_tS1k2zw58CwhDm2W40SfGDejIel0iDVdfX2jqqj-CFpfmN6p99HGLgYuTaY7X_IjN2Nq9nkBEFVO0e-NwucpftjKCgETKW7MPzySRqx_s4jU8ai_HHJ_7bmIDIFi_cso

Fashion Nova has yet to respond to the backlash they have been receiving and it’s unclear whether the controversy was a way to acquire strong sales and promotion for the brand.

However, there were a few users who adored the risqué bikini set, with some saying that they ‘needed’ to get their hands on it.

But this isn’t the first time a daring outfit made the rounds online. A Chinese clothing retailer, Shein, has also faced intense criticism in the past for their inappropriate styles and low-quality items.

What are your thoughts on Fashion Nova’s Butterfly Babe two-piece bikini? Share them with us in the comments! We’d love to hear them.

What's the problem? On the right person/people it will look great. On the wrong people no-one will take a second look anyway. Once it gets as small as a shoelace then there will be a problem. lol

Reactions: Ricci
Unless you have a perfect figure this bikini is just going to look awful and would attract stares for all the wrong reasons. If people are going to be allowed to get away with wearing something so skimpy they may as well allow full nudity, this bikini leaves nothing to the imagination.:(

Reactions: JayKay and debjane

Don't know whether she's inside getting out or outside getting in?

I don’t know what I found the ugliest - the bottom half of the bikini or the fake boobs. I used to work for a Plastic Surgeon and I could never understand why women chose the ones that look as though someone threw two tennis balls at their chest and they stuck.

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci and debjane
Woman wore one of these in Bali, in the street walking though the markets and was arrested for erotic and lewd exposure.
In 2019, just a part of the article
Locals and hotel staffers snapped photos and video — which required blurring in the footage above — before reporting Ting’s flesh-flaunting to municipal police. She was apprehended Thursday afternoon and fined 2,500 Philippine pesos (approximately $48 USD) for “display of erotic and lewd picture.”

I don’t know what I found the ugliest - the bottom half of the bikini or the fake boobs. I used to work for a Plastic Surgeon and I could never understand why women chose the ones that look as though someone threw two tennis balls at their chest and they stuck.
Hear, bloody, hear!

not very sexy at all. pretty ugly actualiy. wonder what the back looked like.string between the cheeks. so funny. ha haha.

Well, here I go again. My opinion straight to the point. These days nothing is left to the imagination to add to a marriage. It's all been done before & shown blatantly. There is absolutely nothing to look forward to in mystery or surprises & many wonder what's new in a relationship. No wonder there are more divorces than marriages, or just zilch. You're still criticised whether you know too much or less, so the rule today is "Do & say what you like." That is why there's contraversy over everything we do. Sad there's no right from wrong anymore. I am SO grateful I "learned as I went along" each day being something new. NOW I don't get shocked with anything anymore because being honest with everybody, I am more proud of my late husband today than ever. He made me feel special, & I him, every day. It does not matter what kind of bikini comes onto the market as far as I am concerned, but I DO worry over parents who aren't concerned about the modesty of their children because some facets of their lives, IF not taught WILL cause concern further down the line. There IS NO comparison today with the way I was brought up. It is the signs of the time that we have been slowly driven to. Society has come as far as it dare, so I am glad I know lovely teenagers who are STILL modest, respectful & kiss their parents on going to bed.

I guess it would be fine if it was on sale in an Adult Sex Shop. A lot of people might enjoy it for a bedroom romp. But on the beach where my grandchildren go for a swim and to build sand castles ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Reactions: JayKay and Ricci
What's the problem? On the right person/people it will look great. On the wrong people no-one will take a second look anyway. Once it gets as small as a shoelace then there will be a problem. lol
Shoelaces have more material!

• Haha
A cut above, and below, and all around.... Oh those lucky blades !!!!
Well, speaking as a mere male, I can only say that those dangerous curves would have to be negotiated with more care than a Formula One driver with arthritis as he/she tried to find his/her way around the track.

• Haha