Shoppers are threatening to 'boycott' Woolies over new technology at checkouts

A few months ago, Woolworths announced that they would be trialling new technology in their self-serve checkouts to better streamline the experience of shoppers and make the whole process much more convenient for everyone.

As a precautionary measure and to reduce the likelihood of scanning errors, the supermarket chain installed overhead cameras at some of their self-service checkout locations.

And along with those, a hidden 'second' camera that uses artificial intelligence (AI) was also put in place inside self-serve scanners to speed up the checkout process.

But the second camera does more than just speed up the scanning process; it also deters shoplifting by making sure shoppers can't swap out an expensive item for a cheaper one when they're at the checkout.

qmtQS7e9LF7Qz2MN_GR1YQjn0qi9ppyD1V-KAtOS4yaNj4NCc9GhsfJn3oAOauyXB8YFaV4YoqutWTcVWMyunL-SmKhR28ieILoGz-KtgstpJwLVtiVlFjXBK5htqyqUz7u9oz5Alsw2zS_6I_oX7_HJKBU-06lkbfDTW2Vk_3PaZLPj-RrdzZVkNg

Woolies buyers have threatened to boycott the store over a camera trial at self-check-outs. Credit: News.com.au.

Since then, the technology has been introduced in several Woolworths stores across Australia, with a nationwide rollout scheduled for the next few years.

While most shoppers had nothing but good things to say, and many said they don't mind the cameras at checkout if it helps stop theft (which, in turn, makes prices go up), other customers were more worried about their privacy while shopping.

Some customers of Woolworths were so upset by the introduction of the new technology that they took their anger to social media, stating that they would 'boycott' Woolworths if the company did not fix the problem.

Frustrated customers have taken their complaints about the supermarket's self-checkout system to the popular forum site, Reddit, demanding that the store make improvements to, or do away with, the newly-installed cameras altogether.

'I've stopped going to my local Woolworths because of this,' one person wrote in a post, with another agreeing and adding, 'I have legit just walked out of Woolies and left my stuff there because the self-service checkout wouldn't let me pay.'

Some customers have even said that when they were checking out, they felt like they were being treated like a 'thief'.

'You wanna treat me like a f***ing thief, then YOU scan my s***,' one person said.

Meanwhile, others have complained that the technology is 'extremely annoying' because it often recommends the wrong products or more expensive ones.

What are your thoughts, members? Have you recently encountered the new camera technology in your local Woolies? If so, how was your experience with it? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
A few months ago, Woolworths announced that they would be trialling new technology in their self-serve checkouts to better streamline the experience of shoppers and make the whole process much more convenient for everyone.

As a precautionary measure and to reduce the likelihood of scanning errors, the supermarket chain installed overhead cameras at some of their self-service checkout locations.

And along with those, a hidden 'second' camera that uses artificial intelligence (AI) was also put in place inside self-serve scanners to speed up the checkout process.

But the second camera does more than just speed up the scanning process; it also deters shoplifting by making sure shoppers can't swap out an expensive item for a cheaper one when they're at the checkout.

qmtQS7e9LF7Qz2MN_GR1YQjn0qi9ppyD1V-KAtOS4yaNj4NCc9GhsfJn3oAOauyXB8YFaV4YoqutWTcVWMyunL-SmKhR28ieILoGz-KtgstpJwLVtiVlFjXBK5htqyqUz7u9oz5Alsw2zS_6I_oX7_HJKBU-06lkbfDTW2Vk_3PaZLPj-RrdzZVkNg

Woolies buyers have threatened to boycott the store over a camera trial at self-check-outs. Credit: News.com.au.

Since then, the technology has been introduced in several Woolworths stores across Australia, with a nationwide rollout scheduled for the next few years.

While most shoppers had nothing but good things to say, and many said they don't mind the cameras at checkout if it helps stop theft (which, in turn, makes prices go up), other customers were more worried about their privacy while shopping.

Some customers of Woolworths were so upset by the introduction of the new technology that they took their anger to social media, stating that they would 'boycott' Woolworths if the company did not fix the problem.

Frustrated customers have taken their complaints about the supermarket's self-checkout system to the popular forum site, Reddit, demanding that the store make improvements to, or do away with, the newly-installed cameras altogether.

'I've stopped going to my local Woolworths because of this,' one person wrote in a post, with another agreeing and adding, 'I have legit just walked out of Woolies and left my stuff there because the self-service checkout wouldn't let me pay.'

Some customers have even said that when they were checking out, they felt like they were being treated like a 'thief'.

'You wanna treat me like a f***ing thief, then YOU scan my s***,' one person said.

Meanwhile, others have complained that the technology is 'extremely annoying' because it often recommends the wrong products or more expensive ones.

What are your thoughts, members? Have you recently encountered the new camera technology in your local Woolies? If so, how was your experience with it? Share them with us in the comments below!

Don't used the stupid self service checkouts that never work properly anyway, they should get rid of them I say!.

If you’ve got nothing to hide you’ve got no problems

The solution is so simple DONT USE THEM.... This was bound to happen with these as so many people would just leave the product in the trolley and at any rate you dont get paid to be a checkout person

If it stops thieves then I am all for it. I am sick of seeing shop lifters getting away with goods.

This is just another cheap way of doing young people out of jobs while keeping their prices high. I have never used them and no, I don't have anything to hide and no I'n not a thief.
I have switched to Aldi to do the majority of my shopping and their everyday prices are always lower than Woolies "specials" and the food quality is as good as anywhere. Try them and see.
At the end of the day vote with your feet if you don't want your civil liberties further eroded. Hidden cameras are un Australian anywhere.

I have no problem with the technology to catch low life thieves. If caught and theft proven, they should be named and shamed on social media and in-store.

Aw, gee. Does that mean that Woolies knows I bought a tin of higher-priced sardines in preference to their home brand one? I'm absolutely devastated (or, to use the latest shorten-everything-because-I-can't-spell-it, parlance, I'm devo)!

Why would anyone pack their own groceries on a machine that dose away with employees their prices are high and you get no discount for packing your shopping think off it this way 10 self-seve cheque outs one person looking after them there's 9 job's lost to put profits into Ceo's and shareholders pockets 😳

Are the checkouts with such cameras identified with signs? I was under the impression that any cctv had to be specifically identified by signage?

In my experience the self service check outs get so many false alarms that the whole process is slowed down. The scales are very sensitive so that a bag unbalanced or not aligned can give rise for an attendant to clear said alarm.

if you think your privacy is invaded do a click n collect or home delivery.

It is indeed unfortunate that the supermarket has to resort to security cams as a last resort.

I personally witnessed once at the self-checkout when a lady just "forgot to pay" for her groceries after scanning them. She just walked away. The next customer noticed the unpaid checkout and immedicately notified the attendant who called out to the lady to come back to pay.
Every other customer heard this but that lady just walked away ignoring the calls.

How should the attendant approach the defaulting shopper? Will there be a backlash of shouting?
She tried to chase after the errand shopper who disappeared around the corner.

Such irresponsible shoppers are the ones who brought this security cam approach on all the responsible shoppers, so do not feel this need for 'being scanned'.
Just blame it on irresponsible shoppers who may be the one next to you.

I shop at Coles!!!
Woollies only for a quick run, because it‘s closer. 40 years in Australia, Coles has been always my favourite Supermarket. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼