Shoppers are threatening to 'boycott' Woolies over new technology at checkouts

A few months ago, Woolworths announced that they would be trialling new technology in their self-serve checkouts to better streamline the experience of shoppers and make the whole process much more convenient for everyone.

As a precautionary measure and to reduce the likelihood of scanning errors, the supermarket chain installed overhead cameras at some of their self-service checkout locations.

And along with those, a hidden 'second' camera that uses artificial intelligence (AI) was also put in place inside self-serve scanners to speed up the checkout process.

But the second camera does more than just speed up the scanning process; it also deters shoplifting by making sure shoppers can't swap out an expensive item for a cheaper one when they're at the checkout.

qmtQS7e9LF7Qz2MN_GR1YQjn0qi9ppyD1V-KAtOS4yaNj4NCc9GhsfJn3oAOauyXB8YFaV4YoqutWTcVWMyunL-SmKhR28ieILoGz-KtgstpJwLVtiVlFjXBK5htqyqUz7u9oz5Alsw2zS_6I_oX7_HJKBU-06lkbfDTW2Vk_3PaZLPj-RrdzZVkNg

Woolies buyers have threatened to boycott the store over a camera trial at self-check-outs. Credit: News.com.au.

Since then, the technology has been introduced in several Woolworths stores across Australia, with a nationwide rollout scheduled for the next few years.

While most shoppers had nothing but good things to say, and many said they don't mind the cameras at checkout if it helps stop theft (which, in turn, makes prices go up), other customers were more worried about their privacy while shopping.

Some customers of Woolworths were so upset by the introduction of the new technology that they took their anger to social media, stating that they would 'boycott' Woolworths if the company did not fix the problem.

Frustrated customers have taken their complaints about the supermarket's self-checkout system to the popular forum site, Reddit, demanding that the store make improvements to, or do away with, the newly-installed cameras altogether.

'I've stopped going to my local Woolworths because of this,' one person wrote in a post, with another agreeing and adding, 'I have legit just walked out of Woolies and left my stuff there because the self-service checkout wouldn't let me pay.'

Some customers have even said that when they were checking out, they felt like they were being treated like a 'thief'.

'You wanna treat me like a f***ing thief, then YOU scan my s***,' one person said.

Meanwhile, others have complained that the technology is 'extremely annoying' because it often recommends the wrong products or more expensive ones.

What are your thoughts, members? Have you recently encountered the new camera technology in your local Woolies? If so, how was your experience with it? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Why are
A few months ago, Woolworths announced that they would be trialling new technology in their self-serve checkouts to better streamline the experience of shoppers and make the whole process much more convenient for everyone.

As a precautionary measure and to reduce the likelihood of scanning errors, the supermarket chain installed overhead cameras at some of their self-service checkout locations.

And along with those, a hidden 'second' camera that uses artificial intelligence (AI) was also put in place inside self-serve scanners to speed up the checkout process.

But the second camera does more than just speed up the scanning process; it also deters shoplifting by making sure shoppers can't swap out an expensive item for a cheaper one when they're at the checkout.

qmtQS7e9LF7Qz2MN_GR1YQjn0qi9ppyD1V-KAtOS4yaNj4NCc9GhsfJn3oAOauyXB8YFaV4YoqutWTcVWMyunL-SmKhR28ieILoGz-KtgstpJwLVtiVlFjXBK5htqyqUz7u9oz5Alsw2zS_6I_oX7_HJKBU-06lkbfDTW2Vk_3PaZLPj-RrdzZVkNg

Woolies buyers have threatened to boycott the store over a camera trial at self-check-outs. Credit: News.com.au.

Since then, the technology has been introduced in several Woolworths stores across Australia, with a nationwide rollout scheduled for the next few years.

While most shoppers had nothing but good things to say, and many said they don't mind the cameras at checkout if it helps stop theft (which, in turn, makes prices go up), other customers were more worried about their privacy while shopping.

Some customers of Woolworths were so upset by the introduction of the new technology that they took their anger to social media, stating that they would 'boycott' Woolworths if the company did not fix the problem.

Frustrated customers have taken their complaints about the supermarket's self-checkout system to the popular forum site, Reddit, demanding that the store make improvements to, or do away with, the newly-installed cameras altogether.

'I've stopped going to my local Woolworths because of this,' one person wrote in a post, with another agreeing and adding, 'I have legit just walked out of Woolies and left my stuff there because the self-service checkout wouldn't let me pay.'

Some customers have even said that when they were checking out, they felt like they were being treated like a 'thief'.

'You wanna treat me like a f***ing thief, then YOU scan my s***,' one person said.

Meanwhile, others have complained that the technology is 'extremely annoying' because it often recommends the wrong products or more expensive ones.

What are your thoughts, members? Have you recently encountered the new camera technology in your local Woolies? If so, how was your experience with it? Share them with us in the comments below!

Why are people so sensitive about this. If they are not doing anything wrong then there is nothing to worry about. There must be a lot of people not paying for all their items to cause Woolies to instal these measures.

Reactions: Ricci
Ocasionaly i have been asked to use the self serve checkout , but i always reply that i do not work for woolworths and would rather wait for the regular checkout.

Do you recall when Petrol Stations had Driveway attendants who filled your Petrol tank, checked water and oil and even (sometimes) bought your change back after cleaning your windscreen??? When they were replaced with " nothing" did the price of Petrol decrease???

I shop at Coles!!!
Woollies only for a quick run, because it‘s closer. 40 years in Australia, Coles has been always my favourite Supermarket. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
I love Coles choices, just do not love the prices....

Haven't encountered one yet. How do they work with ladies wearing a Burka?

This is just another cheap way of doing young people out of jobs while keeping their prices high. I have never used them and no, I don't have anything to hide and no I'n not a thief.
I have switched to Aldi to do the majority of my shopping and their everyday prices are always lower than Woolies "specials" and the food quality is as good as anywhere. Try them and see.
At the end of the day vote with your feet if you don't want your civil liberties further eroded. Hidden cameras are un Australian anywhere.
My wife and I have shopped at Aldi for a lot of years and found the much better than the the other two, my problem is there is no Aldi at present up near Townsville so we have to suck it and waite. I just noticed on a packet of Coles Bacon it is "Made in Australia" from almost 18 percent Australian Ingredients. That's a disgrace considering they advertise "Coles, looking after Australian Farmers!!' What a bunch of Hypocrites and liars, is there nothing these supermarkets won't stoop too to make a dollar.
To me that is false advertising.

• Sad

Looks like people have found another way of moaning about self serve checkouts🙄

I see there's also the usual inane comments about 'they don't work there, why should they scan their own shopping' and 'they're making staff redundant'. What's it got to do with them? They're not running the stores. Woolworths are a business not a charity. They'll go really overboard when all the stores have the option of Scan&Go. That's what I'm waiting for.

And as for cameras in the self scan, they can film me as much as they like as long as they get my good side.😁