Shoppers are shocked by this supermarket’s anti-theft tactic!

In recent years, Aussies have been grappling with the changes in supermarkets’ security systems.

From trolley locks to security gates, supermarkets are applying these preventive measures to combat the rise in shoplifting amid the cost of living crisis.

One supermarket, however, took it to the next level by introducing a strange tactic to prevent theft.

Australian supermarket chain Drakes has introduced GPS-tracking security devices on high-end meat products.

This approach is a response to the increasing number of individuals who have resorted to stealing food due to financial struggles.

With over 60 stores across South Australia and Queensland, Drakes Supermarkets is taking a firm stance against theft by encasing expensive cuts of meat in security boxes, along with the usual plastic packaging.

This initiative deters potential shoplifters by triggering a GPS alert if the product leaves the store without the security device removed.

compressed-pexels-nadin-sh-9541962.jpeg
Shoplifters often target expensive cuts of meat, leading Drakes to launch a drastic security measure. Image Credit: Nadin Sh/Pexels

JP Drake, the director of Drakes Supermarkets, has stated that this is a 'first for supermarkets in Australia’.

‘Meat is the number one thing that is stolen from our supermarkets,’ he said. ‘If someone leaves the store without it being detached then that'll set off the GPS.’

The GPS trackers are being trialled at two Drakes locations, with plans to expand the program across the chain.

Each security box costs a hefty $30, but the supermarket believes the investment is justified to prevent theft, which can amount to hundreds of dollars per incident.

Coles has also implemented a similar strategy by adding security tags to select meat products in nearly a dozen stores throughout Victoria.

However, this crackdown got mixed reactions from customers, with some finding the heightened security measures 'depressing'.

While these tactics may help supermarkets reduce shoplifting as witnessed in recent news, they raise concerns about customer trust and privacy.

Nitika Garg, a professor at UNSW Business School, points out that consumers may feel uncomfortable with the new surveillance practices.

‘The idea that we are not being trusted as consumers is jarring to us because most of us do the right thing anyway,’ she said.

Samantha Floreani of Digital Rights Watch also criticised the focus on surveillance and the use of AI technology during a cost-of-living crisis.

‘People should have the ability to go do basic life essentials—like shop for groceries—without being constantly tracked and monitored,’ she stated.

‘It's telling that major supermarkets are prioritising investment in privacy-invasive surveillance technology in the middle of a cost-of-living crisis, rather than considering other ways that might lower rates of theft, such as reining in their huge profit margins and lowering prices.’

As supermarkets turn to heavy surveillance, the debate over the balance between preventing theft and respecting consumer privacy continues to grow.

The question remains: is the convenience of modern shopping worth the trade-off in personal privacy?
Key Takeaways

• An Australian supermarket chain is implementing GPS-tracking security boxes on high-end meat to deter shoplifting amid the cost of living crisis.
  • Drakes Supermarkets is trialling this tactic in two shops, with plans of rolling out to the rest of the chain.
  • Coles has also introduced a similar security measure, adding security tags to some products in Victoria, prompting mixed reactions.
  • Experts and privacy advocates are raising concerns about the privacy implications for consumers in retail spaces, given the increasing surveillance measures.
Have you noticed an increase in surveillance while shopping? Do you feel these measures are necessary? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments section below.

Sponsored
The first question you must ask is what happens when the person walks out the store with the item. Are staff or security going to stop and challenge them. Let’s go back to the old days high value items behind counter pay for when you select item

I think it's sad that theft has become such an issue that retailers are having to try different tactics to deter it. We all end up paying for others dishonesty. My girlfriend works at woolies and they have an average of 28 BBQ chooks walk out the door unpaid for every day.. that's just one store. Multiply that by every store in Aus and that's alot of chooks.

When in my 20s my sister living in the USA wrote saying a leg of lamb was +US$15 we thought outrageous as a side here was about that, FF today we have lamb chops with antitheft devices, who would have thought?

It is all OK by me. I shop at Drakes, and they are the better supermarket and, in some cases, cheaper.

It is a sign of the times and it has three causes. One, a lot of people are suffering from short of money, but I'll bet they have a mobile phone, may still smoke and have a beer in the afternoon. Those who have cut out any of these, I can but applaud you. To those that steal because they want to, are costing all the honest shoppers big money and any system the store want put in is OK by me. Three, it is time the courts got serious about repeat offenders and gave detention rather than a slap on the wrist.

Who pays for the $30 GPS device? Drake's or the customer? Does a shop assistant remove it when you exit the store or take it home as a souvenir? Another wasted resource of retailers when the assistant would be better off assisting the customer rather than being a quasi policeman.

Fancy putting one on a $15 leg of lamb! :ROFLMAO:

Who pays for the $30 GPS device? Drake's or the customer? Does a shop assistant remove it when you exit the store or take it home as a souvenir? Another wasted resource of retailers when the assistant would be better off assisting the customer rather than being a quasi policeman.

Fancy putting one on a $15 leg of lamb! :ROFLMAO:
the customer probably twice, once by higher prices secondly by taxation write off by the company, a possible double whammy?.

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I honestly don’t care what they put tracking devices on. I have nothing to hide. The thieves make it hard for everyone. We all pay for the dishonest that walk among us. It’s sad but a fact of life. I believe it will only get worse. Yes the cost of living has gone up but it’s the same for us all not just some people. Business insurance has gone thru the roof and these costs are passed on to us all. Check out chicks / guys can check my bags of what ever I am not insulted and don’t feel singled out if they are just random checks. Smile and open the bag and converse with the person makes it far better than being rude and snappy.

Reactions: maherdj
Next we'll be reading about sirloin swat teams leaping out of the ceiling to nab the villians.
It's sad statement for our society that make protein worthy of the black market.
I, personally, am not affected by such initiatives. Firstly, we don't eat much red meat anymore and second, I am far from resorting to pork purloining, so let them do what they need to do.
My only issue with the tag system is self serve. Will the customers be expected to un-tag the meat?

Coles have had security tags on some of their meat for over 12mths in Wagga.