Shoppers are fuming over this 'frustrating' Kmart checkout detail! Do you agree?

Standing in line at the shops can be a frustrating experience, particularly when you have places to be and things to do.

It's an all-too-common experience for many of us. Every store seems to have its own ideas on how to do things, whether it’s self-checkouts or multiple queues. Some Aussies who shop at Kmart claim their checkout process is much easier than at most other stores.

But not everyone agrees. One such shopper has taken to social media to voice his concern over Kmart's unique checkout arrangement.

4539ed3564ed61c7b61b27c6feff5cb2246f86e8-4x3-x0y1w649h487.jpg

The decision by Kmart to relocate checkouts to the centre of stores has sparked debate. Credit: Facebook.

Rather than placing its checkouts at the front, Kmart moved them to the centre of the store a few years ago to smooth out queues, reduce congestion, and improve the overall shopping experience. For whatever reason, this change has not been implemented in all stores which leaves some customers feeling dissatisfied when they visit a different store to usual.

In these stores, the move means that Kmart staff and security now check everyone’s bags and purchases before they leave the store.

The shopper asked: ‘Why put the checkout area in the middle of the store if you’re going to treat EVERY SHOPPER like a shoplifter on the way out?’

Customers have reacted strongly to the Facebook post, with many sharing their own experiences and opinions.

Many shoppers agreed with the post and called out Kmart for making the checkout process ‘more inconvenient’ instead of solving the issue.

One user pointed out: ‘It’s so frustrating. They put 15-year-old kids on the door and expect them to be security.’

‘It’s horrendous on both sides of that transaction.’

‘I’m with you, mate. It’s the DUMBEST idea they’ve ever had. Now some Kmarts have self-service checkouts near the door,’ another said.

A third chimed in: ‘I know right. I totally agree with you.’

However, not all customers had a problem with the situation. Some argued that Kmart’s decision to move their checkouts was actually a smart one.

One person argued: ‘I used to think it was nuts but it makes sense.’

‘In the old days, the only way out of Kmart was via the registers whether you purchased something or not. It caused a bottleneck and required more staff attention than posting one person at the exit.’

They further explained that moving the checkout to the centre of the store encouraged more people to visit more places in the store, giving them more of a chance of discovering something additional they may have forgotten to buy.

As we mentioned earlier, the store layout may vary per location. While Kmart has not confirmed that all stores will change to this layout, it has been in many stores for years.

According to a Kmart spokesperson, the decision to relocate checkouts was aimed at minimising queues and clutter at store entrances to provide a pleasant and convenient shopping experience for both in-store and online customers.

This layout is more spacious and open, without the congestion that can occur when registers are placed at the front of the store, particularly during busy periods like Christmas.

It is a standard procedure for all customers to have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase. This requirement applies to all Kmart stores.

The spokesperson assured that Kmart is committed to serving customers in various ways and looks forward to continuing to do so in the future.

Key Takeaways
  • A Kmart shopper has voiced concern on social media about Kmart's unique checkout arrangement in the centre of the store, sparking a debate.
  • Many customers agree and call out Kmart for making the checkout process more inconvenient, while others argue it was a smart decision.
  • Kmart's decision to move its checkouts was aimed to minimise queues and clutter at store entrances, providing a pleasant and convenient shopping experience.
  • Kmart ensures that all customers have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase, as part of their standard procedure.

Members, what do you think about the way Kmart has set up its checkouts? Do you agree with the customer who thinks it places all customers under suspicion? Or do you think it’s a smart move that encourages customers to window shop on their way out?

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Had to laugh at all those "indignant " people that complained about the registers being located centre store really? I think its pretty convenient! Also to the shoppers who said they felt like shoplifters...hmmmm feeling a little guilty there are we?? If that's all you have to whinge about how about you go get a life or better still shop elsewhere if you sensitive souls can't handle it.

I used to shop at Kmart regularly until they moved the checkouts to the middle of the store and then I had to queue to leave the store in order to have my bag and receipt checked, they even check the carrier of the back of my mobility scooter! I have never stolen anything in my life and Kmart's detailed checking of everywhere I could possibly have hidden something is annoying!

Standing in line at the shops can be a frustrating experience, particularly when you have places to be and things to do.

It's an all-too-common experience for many of us. Every store seems to have its own ideas on how to do things, whether it’s self-checkouts or multiple queues. Some Aussies who shop at Kmart claim their checkout process is much easier than at most other stores.

But not everyone agrees. One such shopper has taken to social media to voice his concern over Kmart's unique checkout arrangement.

The decision by Kmart to relocate checkouts to the centre of stores has sparked debate. Credit: Facebook.

Rather than placing its checkouts at the front, Kmart moved them to the centre of the store a few years ago to smooth out queues, reduce congestion, and improve the overall shopping experience. For whatever reason, this change has not been implemented in all stores which leaves some customers feeling dissatisfied when they visit a different store to usual.

In these stores, the move means that Kmart staff and security now check everyone’s bags and purchases before they leave the store.

The shopper asked: ‘Why put the checkout area in the middle of the store if you’re going to treat EVERY SHOPPER like a shoplifter on the way out?’

Customers have reacted strongly to the Facebook post, with many sharing their own experiences and opinions.

Many shoppers agreed with the post and called out Kmart for making the checkout process ‘more inconvenient’ instead of solving the issue.

One user pointed out: ‘It’s so frustrating. They put 15-year-old kids on the door and expect them to be security.’

‘I’m with you, mate. It’s the DUMBEST idea they’ve ever had. Now some Kmarts have self-service checkouts near the door,’ another said.

However, not all customers had a problem with the situation. Some argued that Kmart’s decision to move their checkouts was actually a smart one.

‘In the old days, the only way out of Kmart was via the registers whether you purchased something or not. It caused a bottleneck and required more staff attention than posting one person at the exit.’

They further explained that moving the checkout to the centre of the store encouraged more people to visit more places in the store, giving them more of a chance of discovering something additional they may have forgotten to buy.

As we mentioned earlier, the store layout may vary per location. While Kmart has not confirmed that all stores will change to this layout, it has been in many stores for years.

According to a Kmart spokesperson, the decision to relocate checkouts was aimed at minimising queues and clutter at store entrances to provide a pleasant and convenient shopping experience for both in-store and online customers.

This layout is more spacious and open, without the congestion that can occur when registers are placed at the front of the store, particularly during busy periods like Christmas.

It is a standard procedure for all customers to have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase. This requirement applies to all Kmart stores.

The spokesperson assured that Kmart is committed to serving customers in various ways and looks forward to continuing to do so in the future.

Key Takeaways

• A Kmart shopper has voiced concern on social media about Kmart's unique checkout arrangement in the centre of the store, sparking a debate.
  • Many customers agree and call out Kmart for making the checkout process more inconvenient, while others argue it was a smart decision.
  • Kmart's decision to move its checkouts was aimed to minimise queues and clutter at store entrances, providing a pleasant and convenient shopping experience.
  • Kmart ensures that all customers have their bags and receipts checked before exiting the store, regardless of how they made their purchase, as part of their standard procedure.

Members, what do you think about the way Kmart has set up its checkouts? Do you agree with the customer who thinks it places all customers under suspicion? Or do you think it’s a smart move that encourages customers to window shop on their way out?

Why not have the same checkout system that Target has? The entrance isn’t blocked by queue’s and the checkouts are to the side and out of the way.

I used to shop at Kmart regularly until they moved the checkouts to the middle of the store and then I had to queue to leave the store in order to have my bag and receipt checked, they even check the carrier of the back of my mobility scooter! I have never stolen anything in my life and Kmart's detailed checking of everywhere I could possibly have hidden something

Key Takeaways

Why not use their current system but put it back at the front of the store?
Big W has this method and it is much better, in my opinion.
When I shop, I am usually looking for specific items so I’m not interested in ‘their methods’ to entice us to buy more.

My local kmart has their checkouts in the middle of the store and no matter how long the line is you get through very quickly . They also have a person standing at the checkout guiding people and helping . So well done kmart .

Now as for the person standing at the door, I have never seen a 15 year old. The door person is friendly , looks quickly in bag and receipt and out you go this takes literally 2 seconds.

The only ones this should bother are the thief or the people who look for anything to complain about

Key Takeaways

I ALWAYS thought it to be ridiculous - for years now. 'Security' doesn't even check your goods properly. I bet all this entices shoplifters to take advantage.,, dumb for sure!

I dont open anything for security at any stores. If they detain you its illegal, they have to have seen you take property that is not yours. Just refuse and walk out because if they try to stop you thats assault. I encourage all to do the same thing if you have nothing to hide. Show K Mart how stupid their actions are.

Key Takeaways

Ii

My local kmart has their checkouts in the middle of the store and no matter how long the line is you get through very quickly . They also have a person standing at the checkout guiding people and helping . So well done kmart .

Now as for the person standing at the door, I have never seen a 15 year old. The door person is friendly , looks quickly in bag and receipt and out you go this takes literally 2 seconds.

The only ones this should bother are the thief or the people who look for anything to complain about
Or the people stupid and cowardly enough to submit.

I dont open anything for security at any stores. If they detain you its illegal, they have to have seen you take property that is not yours. Just refuse and walk out because if they try to stop you thats assault. I encourage all to do the same thing if you have nothing to hide. Show K Mart how stupid their actions are.
Most large stores have a sign at the front saying they will check bags as you walk out.
If it's a small bag then it doesn't need to be checked .

By checking shopping bags it may help with thieving which will help prevent price rises.

If we go into a store we need to abide by rules

KMart has had their check out in the middle of the store for at least a decade. I don't like it, as it means having to go further into the store when I purchase something that is located near the entry/exit, but I don't lose my head over it.

As for checking receipts and bags, try shopping at Costco! Every shopper has to go through a manned checkout and every trolley and receipt is checked, sometimes in great detail, at the exit. Now THAT is annoying!