Shoppers accuse Coles of increasing prices of milk, then marking it down to look like a bargain - here’s the full story

If you've been to your local Coles or other grocery stores lately, you may have noticed that the prices on some items have gone up, only to be 'marked down' a few weeks later. While this might seem like a great deal at first glance, savvy shoppers have noticed that the prices are still higher than they were a few months ago.

For example, Pauls Zymil low-fat milk was recently marked down from $6.60 to $6.40.

One eagle-eyed Coles shopper has taken to Facebook, to share a photo of his local store's display showing the ‘price slash’.

While most of us think that it could be a positive thing that prices are going down, several shoppers have pointed out that this is still more expensive than the price a few months ago, when the milk was selling for $5.20.

One person wrote: 'Yeah went from $5.20 to $6.60 about 2 months ago, now that it’s $6.40 they think they can say that it’s a saving.'

t79K9JxghkSCTladls0esK0iRqbDYGUtTSZhHkHjf0b44Zj7fM1_St3HjQ7ry2N1tgh_1xEnlezYbwOmALbQJF8r1LRArc9DWkreDvYiF8uOwqR2L2iuzag6wLobEJNeEye8VlZrrn7iO3ObudHH2W9ax4Cmr6Vu4tCWMFlpuIEveQ2xmFkct5YK

While the lactose-free milk was marked down from $6.60 to $6.40, many shoppers are not happy. Credit: Facebook/Markdown Addicts Australia.

So what's going on here? One shopper speculated that giant retailers are putting up prices and then dropping them slightly to make it look like they're giving shoppers a deal.

Another agreed, replying: 'I have noticed they have done this with all the items they have "price locked".'

'They’d already put it up a few dollars about 2 months ago and now they’ve dropped like 20c off all the products they can act like heroes on the ads and say they’ve price locked.'

A third added: 'That should not be allowed.'

Others also pointed out that the store might be practising 'price gouging' or the manipulation of price to make an item more profitable. Some said that it is becoming increasingly common for 'premium' items.

One customer shared: 'That's what happens when you're buying "premium" milk. Talk to anyone in the business, it's no different to the store brand.'

Of course, this isn't to say that all retailers are engaging in this practice. Several people shared that some retailers are selling the same brand at a reasonable price.

One savvy shopper commented: 'My local IGA sells this for $4.99 - Crazy! It was the ONLY tolerable lactose milk I could find.'

'If you have an ALDI near you, their 2L lactose-free is only about $4.50,' another claimed.

Others offered alternative brands that are more budget-friendly.

One woman shared: 'Ok so I just came to say that the Riverina Brand lactose-free milk is amazing!'

'It’s made in Wagga and I live 2 hours away so I’m not sure if it’s readily available everywhere but it’s great milk and $5.40-$5.60 for 2L.'

Coles has yet to comment on the matter.

The cost of living is skyrocketing, and consumers are becoming more price sensitive than ever..

Keeping this in mind, we hope retailers can be more transparent with pricing and offer more affordable options. We also hope that manufacturers can find ways to reduce costs so that prices don't continue to rise.

In the meantime, as consumers, we will continue to be mindful of our spending and look for ways to save. We encourage our members to check out the Money Saving Hacks section of the SDC website to stay on top of the latest reports regarding the best deals.

Also, do you agree with the speculations about practising price gouging? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci, Ezzy and BJM
Sponsored
this very noticable with even the humble small square cans of dog food going from $1.10 afew months ago to $1.70 now that's almost 70% increase and wages go up 4.5%

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci, Ezzy and RTS
If you've been to your local Coles or other grocery stores lately, you may have noticed that the prices on some items have gone up, only to be 'marked down' a few weeks later. While this might seem like a great deal at first glance, savvy shoppers have noticed that the prices are still higher than they were a few months ago.

For example, Pauls Zymil low-fat milk was recently marked down from $6.60 to $6.40.

One eagle-eyed Coles shopper has taken to Facebook, to share a photo of his local store's display showing the ‘price slash’.

While most of us think that it could be a positive thing that prices are going down, several shoppers have pointed out that this is still more expensive than the price a few months ago, when the milk was selling for $5.20.

One person wrote: 'Yeah went from $5.20 to $6.60 about 2 months ago, now that it’s $6.40 they think they can say that it’s a saving.'

t79K9JxghkSCTladls0esK0iRqbDYGUtTSZhHkHjf0b44Zj7fM1_St3HjQ7ry2N1tgh_1xEnlezYbwOmALbQJF8r1LRArc9DWkreDvYiF8uOwqR2L2iuzag6wLobEJNeEye8VlZrrn7iO3ObudHH2W9ax4Cmr6Vu4tCWMFlpuIEveQ2xmFkct5YK

While the lactose-free milk was marked down from $6.60 to $6.40, many shoppers are not happy. Credit: Facebook/Markdown Addicts Australia.

So what's going on here? One shopper speculated that giant retailers are putting up prices and then dropping them slightly to make it look like they're giving shoppers a deal.

Another agreed, replying: 'I have noticed they have done this with all the items they have "price locked".'

'They’d already put it up a few dollars about 2 months ago and now they’ve dropped like 20c off all the products they can act like heroes on the ads and say they’ve price locked.'

A third added: 'That should not be allowed.'

Others also pointed out that the store might be practising 'price gouging' or the manipulation of price to make an item more profitable. Some said that it is becoming increasingly common for 'premium' items.

One customer shared: 'That's what happens when you're buying "premium" milk. Talk to anyone in the business, it's no different to the store brand.'

Of course, this isn't to say that all retailers are engaging in this practice. Several people shared that some retailers are selling the same brand at a reasonable price.

One savvy shopper commented: 'My local IGA sells this for $4.99 - Crazy! It was the ONLY tolerable lactose milk I could find.'

'If you have an ALDI near you, their 2L lactose-free is only about $4.50,' another claimed.

Others offered alternative brands that are more budget-friendly.

One woman shared: 'Ok so I just came to say that the Riverina Brand lactose-free milk is amazing!'

'It’s made in Wagga and I live 2 hours away so I’m not sure if it’s readily available everywhere but it’s great milk and $5.40-$5.60 for 2L.'

Coles has yet to comment on the matter.

The cost of living is skyrocketing, and consumers are becoming more price sensitive than ever..

Keeping this in mind, we hope retailers can be more transparent with pricing and offer more affordable options. We also hope that manufacturers can find ways to reduce costs so that prices don't continue to rise.

In the meantime, as consumers, we will continue to be mindful of our spending and look for ways to save. We encourage our members to check out the Money Saving Hacks section of the SDC website to stay on top of the latest reports regarding the best deals.

Also, do you agree with the speculations about practising price gouging? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.
YAHOO. You Always Have Other Options. Don’t buy the milk!

I never look at the savings just the actual price. Mugs only get taken in by this practice. It’s the same as the process of prices ending in 99c. If the rounded up price looks bad don’t buy.

Also anything advertised unsolicited to me by YouTube, Facebook, Gumtree etc I refuse to buy. The companies are wasting their money paying these entities advertising revenue. It’s a negative to me, especially if made in China.

Reactions: Senor and Ricci
I cannot understand the price increase on some goods. Yes, I know the price of petrol is an influencing factor but a $2 increase per package of muesli? Why is the hairspray I use $11 per can at Big W and only $5 at Chemist Warehouse? Same size. Why have tissues risen by $1:50 per box? Why do we still have toilet paper shortages?