Shopper sparks debate: Are self-checkout security measures going too far?

When we go shopping, we all want it to be as hassle-free as possible, and that's where self-serve checkouts come in. They're meant to save us time and make our shopping experience more efficient. But are they really worth it?

At supermarkets like Woolworths, these self-serve checkouts have become a common sight. However, there's a lot of debate about whether they're actually beneficial.

Recently, a Woolworths customer took to social media to express her frustration with a security message that appeared on her self-serve checkout screen.

The message pops up if the checkout cameras and AI systems detect that you might not have scanned an item or if they see items in your trolley that they think might not have been paid for.

It reads, 'Have you left any items in your trolley or basket? Please wait for assistance.' This can be a bit jarring, and many shoppers are left feeling uncomfortable about the idea that they might be suspected of stealing.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 10.03.22 AM.png
If this occurs, the transaction will be put on hold until a Woolies checkout worker clears the screen. Credit: Twitter.

On Twitter, the customer argued that the security measures put in place to prevent theft were causing more harm than good. They felt that Woolworths should have more staff members available to help out with the self-serve checkouts, or simply trust that any groceries left in the trolley were from elsewhere.

They went on to add that these security measures were causing undue stress for both the employees and customers. She expressed sympathy for the staff who were constantly running around to assist customers with the self-serve checkouts, and she felt that this was not an efficient use of their time.

Instead of providing a quick and easy checkout experience, it was leading to long wait times and causing unnecessary frustration for everyone involved.

It seems that the frustrations with Woolworths' self-serve checkouts are not limited to just one customer. Many others have taken to social media to share their own similar experiences.

One shopper commented that they have given up on using the self-serve checkouts altogether, opting instead to move to the next machine if they receive an alert for 'product not bagged' and staff are not available. Another shopper likened the experience to repeatedly being told that you're a thief when all you're trying to do is pay for your groceries.

Another customer even went so far as to say that they no longer shop at Woolworths because they're tired of 'feeling like a criminal' every time they use the self-serve checkouts. It's clear that for many shoppers, the security measures put in place by Woolworths are causing more inconvenience and discomfort than good.

While self-serve checkouts may have been introduced to make the shopping experience more efficient, it's clear that there are still some issues that need to be worked out. If Woolworths wants to keep its customers happy, it may need to rethink its approach to security and staffing in the self-serve checkout area.

A Woolworths spokesperson said that the technology in question had been implemented with the goal of 'reducing mis-scans' and making the shopping experience 'more convenient and seamless' for all customers.

They also mentioned that 'most customers do the right thing at our self-serve checkouts', but acknowledged that 'mistakes can easily happen'.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer voiced her frustration over the supermarket's new security measures at self-serve registers on social media.
  • The new technology detects items not scanned correctly and uses overhead cameras to check if items in the trolley haven't been purchased at Woolworths.
  • The shopper's post on Twitter attracted a heated response from others who shared her frustration.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson stated that the technology helps reduce mis-scans and is one of several initiatives to make shopping more convenient.

Self-serve checkouts are meant to be a quick and efficient way for shoppers to purchase their items without the need for a cashier. With cameras installed overhead and AI technology in place, it seems like a foolproof system to ensure that all items are correctly scanned and paid for.

However, in practice, this system has faced intense scrutiny and criticism from shoppers. Many have reported that the AI frequently marks their scans as inaccurate, causing longer wait times as in-store staff are called over to investigate the situation.

What may have seemed like a promising technological advancement on paper has turned into a frustrating and time-consuming process for many shoppers. Instead of making the checkout experience more efficient, it seems to be causing more problems than it solves.

As technology continues to advance, it's important to remember that the human element cannot be replaced entirely. Perhaps it's time for retailers like Woolworths to rethink their approach and strike a balance between technology and human interaction to ensure a smooth and pleasant shopping experience for all customers.

Credit: Tiliter.

Do you ever feel like you're being watched and that your every move is being monitored when you're at the self-checkout? Have you ever had a situation where the system accused you of not scanning an item or flagged an item as inaccurate?

Members, we want to know your thoughts on the necessity of these security measures. Do they make you feel safer as a shopper, or do they just add an unnecessary layer of stress to your shopping experience? Feel free to leave a comment below!

Sponsored
I get this all the time when I bring my own bag. I physically have to pick up the empty bag and wave it around in the air in front of the cameras before that idiot watching realizes it is my own bag and retracts the message.
I did this one day and the checkout attendant ask why I did that and I just pointed at the idiot's camera. and started packing my stuff.

Reactions: Beeno & Deb
I do not find this message rude…
If you have nothing to hide, then get on with the job at hand and stop trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.
Better still Don’t Use Self Service!!

I definitely have had enough of the woolies self serve. They constantly make mistakes and I have not been through once in the last few months without having to wait for a staff member for some non event. The whole idea of it making this easier and more convenient for shoppers is a bit of a fail. It seems any time new systems are implanted to “increase convenience” to the public by these super stores and bureaucracies the reality of it is that it is more for the information gathering and data to annoy us even more with marketing harassment.
if you do not make mistakes you sail through without asking for help. That is when it becomes a hassle.

I use the Woolies Scan and Go program. It means that, with the Scan and Go app on my phone, I just scan the barcode, put the item straight in my own bag, and when I have finished shopping, the app totals the cost for me, sends me a QR code that I scan at a special Scan and Go machine at a check out, and I'm done. Too easy! I love it and I'm nearly 80! No self-checkout blocks and no queues. Not every Woolies has it yet - they're still rolling them out and Coles has nothing like it. Plus there is no Coles near us anyway.

When we go shopping, we all want it to be as hassle-free as possible, and that's where self-serve checkouts come in. They're meant to save us time and make our shopping experience more efficient. But are they really worth it?

At supermarkets like Woolworths, these self-serve checkouts have become a common sight. However, there's a lot of debate about whether they're actually beneficial.

Recently, a Woolworths customer took to social media to express her frustration with a security message that appeared on her self-serve checkout screen.

The message pops up if the checkout cameras and AI systems detect that you might not have scanned an item or if they see items in your trolley that they think might not have been paid for.

It reads, 'Have you left any items in your trolley or basket? Please wait for assistance.' This can be a bit jarring, and many shoppers are left feeling uncomfortable about the idea that they might be suspected of stealing.

View attachment 16207
If this occurs, the transaction will be put on hold until a Woolies checkout worker clears the screen. Credit: Twitter.

On Twitter, the customer argued that the security measures put in place to prevent theft were causing more harm than good. They felt that Woolworths should have more staff members available to help out with the self-serve checkouts, or simply trust that any groceries left in the trolley were from elsewhere.

They went on to add that these security measures were causing undue stress for both the employees and customers. She expressed sympathy for the staff who were constantly running around to assist customers with the self-serve checkouts, and she felt that this was not an efficient use of their time.

Instead of providing a quick and easy checkout experience, it was leading to long wait times and causing unnecessary frustration for everyone involved.

It seems that the frustrations with Woolworths' self-serve checkouts are not limited to just one customer. Many others have taken to social media to share their own similar experiences.

One shopper commented that they have given up on using the self-serve checkouts altogether, opting instead to move to the next machine if they receive an alert for 'product not bagged' and staff are not available. Another shopper likened the experience to repeatedly being told that you're a thief when all you're trying to do is pay for your groceries.

Another customer even went so far as to say that they no longer shop at Woolworths because they're tired of 'feeling like a criminal' every time they use the self-serve checkouts. It's clear that for many shoppers, the security measures put in place by Woolworths are causing more inconvenience and discomfort than good.

While self-serve checkouts may have been introduced to make the shopping experience more efficient, it's clear that there are still some issues that need to be worked out. If Woolworths wants to keep its customers happy, it may need to rethink its approach to security and staffing in the self-serve checkout area.

A Woolworths spokesperson said that the technology in question had been implemented with the goal of 'reducing mis-scans' and making the shopping experience 'more convenient and seamless' for all customers.

They also mentioned that 'most customers do the right thing at our self-serve checkouts', but acknowledged that 'mistakes can easily happen'.

Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer voiced her frustration over the supermarket's new security measures at self-serve registers on social media.
  • The new technology detects items not scanned correctly and uses overhead cameras to check if items in the trolley haven't been purchased at Woolworths.
  • The shopper's post on Twitter attracted a heated response from others who shared her frustration.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson stated that the technology helps reduce mis-scans and is one of several initiatives to make shopping more convenient.

Self-serve checkouts are meant to be a quick and efficient way for shoppers to purchase their items without the need for a cashier. With cameras installed overhead and AI technology in place, it seems like a foolproof system to ensure that all items are correctly scanned and paid for.

However, in practice, this system has faced intense scrutiny and criticism from shoppers. Many have reported that the AI frequently marks their scans as inaccurate, causing longer wait times as in-store staff are called over to investigate the situation.

What may have seemed like a promising technological advancement on paper has turned into a frustrating and time-consuming process for many shoppers. Instead of making the checkout experience more efficient, it seems to be causing more problems than it solves.

As technology continues to advance, it's important to remember that the human element cannot be replaced entirely. Perhaps it's time for retailers like Woolworths to rethink their approach and strike a balance between technology and human interaction to ensure a smooth and pleasant shopping experience for all customers.

Credit: Tiliter.

Do you ever feel like you're being watched and that your every move is being monitored when you're at the self-checkout? Have you ever had a situation where the system accused you of not scanning an item or flagged an item as inaccurate?

Members, we want to know your thoughts on the necessity of these security measures. Do they make you feel safer as a shopper, or do they just add an unnecessary layer of stress to your shopping experience? Feel free to leave a comment below!

Happened to us today. No big deal. I guess if there weren't so many dishonest people they wouldn't need to implement such measures. Look up at the checkout and you'll see a camera on you too.

I use the Woolies Scan and Go program. It means that, with the Scan and Go app on my phone, I just scan the barcode, put the item straight in my own bag, and when I have finished shopping, the app totals the cost for me, sends me a QR code that I scan at a special Scan and Go machine at a check out, and I'm done. Too easy! I love it and I'm nearly 80! No self-checkout blocks and no queues. Not every Woolies has it yet - they're still rolling them out and Coles has nothing like it. Plus there is no Coles near us anyway.
Haven't got that where I live. How do you pay, do you use phone banking?

I shopped at a brand new Woolies the other day and self serve was the only option. I had to get assistance for dog food and the assistant showed me how to select heavy item etc then left. The checkout couldn't detect the item in the bagging area so I sought assistance again. She told me to ignore the message and carry on, then had to use her staff logon to clear it. She flounced off as if I'd done something wrong.
I didn't make an error, apart from trying to shop there.
After that attitude I won't be back in a hurry.

To day I had someone stand right behind me at a woolworths self serve checking to see if I did it right. He accessed my personal space. I was not impressed.

I agree with you, people really need to get over themselves, if you are doing nothing wrong why get so uptight. These stores loose multi millions to shoplifters.
Go to the manned checkouts if you don't like it .
But these type of people then only bitch and complain about waiting in a queue. No pleasing some people.
I don't find it offensive at all, these days anything that interrupts some Ken/Karen's super busy day and costs them precious seconds has to be blown out of all proportion and must be reported on every social media forum possible.

This form of venting at everyday stuff needs to stop first step is to ban Tic Tok reading that no matter what the CEO says its still a Chinese run data gathering medium. Same with Facebook, no one actually needs it its just a matter of convenience

"They felt that Woolworths should have more staff members available to help out with the self-serve checkouts"

The whole purpose of the self checkout is to reduce staff numbers and payroll.

I use them only when I have 2 or 3 items but its annoying that there are card only machines and cash and card machines, I see no diff or need for the separation, the cash or card machine handle either.

Reactions: Beeno & Deb
I only use self service when i have a single item so there is no problem, and if there is a queue then i go to the service checkout. SIMPLES.

I don't mind using a self-serve check-out, but the software it uses is junk. It works more smoothly if I only put one bag at a time for the machine, & periodically doesn't recognize my cotton material bags. Needs to be updated & rectified, as it's too slow, with constant 'unexpected item in the bagging area' plus other glitches. This self-serve software system is completely different to the manned checkout system. I've heard that Woolworths have done their calculation & it's cheaper with people stealing at the self-serve checkouts, than employing more staff to supervise customers at these self-serve checkouts.

I try not to use self serve checkouts as there are always multiple problems needing staff assistance and only one staff member for up to twelve checkouts at my local Coles, eight at woollies. There always seems to be an issue with everyone trying to get through these checkouts and due to lack of staff the wait time to get assistance is getting longer. Last time I was at Coles only one manned checkout was open but no one was there to man it. By the time someone came from the service desk area there were three more customers lined up after me, but they didn’t open another checkout. At woollies the other day there were two manned checkouts working with customers lined up everywhere, it took three calls for priority assistance to checkouts over the loudspeaker and over five minutes before anyone bothered to come and assist, service is definitely getting worse, no wonder more people are opting for on line shopping. Maybe supermarkets are trying to get all customers on line so they don’t have to open their doors anymore.

I find them easier to use than waiting for a slow checkout operator. I can be through the checkout and gone before I would have even started through a checkout operator, sorry to say but that's the way it is, if they want a job and to not have it taken over by automation then perhaps put a smile on and put the goods through in a reasonable time frame otherwise suck it up, life's to short for whingeing about everything. Cheers

I find them easier to use than waiting for a slow checkout operator. I can be through the checkout and gone before I would have even started through a checkout operator, sorry to say but that's the way it is, if they want a job and to not have it taken over by automation then perhaps put a smile on and put the goods through in a reasonable time frame otherwise suck it up, life's to short for whingeing about everything. Cheers
I don't mind using self checkouts, but I find the software frustrating.
You will be very pleased though, as a Coles staff member told me they are slowly becoming redundant and in a few years time, all manned check-outs will disappear & replaced with all self-serve.