Shopper slams Coles for ‘excessive’ plastic use on Easter buy - Is it time to say goodbye to plastic packaging?

Plastic packaging has become an unsurprisingly controversial topic in recent times.

As our understanding of the environment and the effects of plastic's presence in it become clearer and clearer, it's safe to say that people are beginning to take more responsibility for the amount of plastic packaging they use.

They’re looking more critically at what products they consume and objects they choose to buy or not buy.

Despite the growing awareness of plastic waste, we still come across products unnecessarily wrapped in plastic packaging. This recently happened to a customer at Coles.

Sharing on Reddit, the shopper was frustrated to see dozens of Jumbo Easter Cookies sold in the bakery section and at checkouts for $2 each.

1b84989de3b233e65fd85f2e5ea7fd7c3955a7cc-4x3-x0y0w640h480.jpg

Shoppers accused Coles of using ‘excessive’ plastic packaging. Credit: Reddit.

Each individual cookie was placed in its own container, leading to a heated discussion about the 'excessive' use of plastic on the popular message board.

'The point is that it’s extremely wasteful and out of touch to sell these like this right now, with wastage concerns high and people feeling the strain on shopping etc.,' the customer wrote in a post.

The original poster’s point was furthered when they pointed out that in the same aisle, an eight-pack of a similar variety of cookies were available in a paper bag for only $3.50.

Needless to say, many Reddit users agreed that this was an example of 'ridiculous waste of resources' and a 'disgusting waste'.

One person wrote: ‘A paper bag would have been perfect, both the consumable if not eaten and the bag would be compostable and perfect for the green bin.’

‘It needs to be banned,’ another added.

A third chimed in: ‘I always see these containers used for cheese and bacon rolls. Not sure why a paper bag can’t suffice for something baked and eaten the same day most of the time.’

‘And yet if I don’t have a paper straw for my drink, I’M the one destroying the planet,’ another angry shopper said.

While some individuals were okay with the price of the cookies, they expressed concern over the excessive use of plastic packaging.

One user noted: ‘I don’t even find $2 for a jumbo cookie to be expensive at all.’

‘People don’t have to buy it.’

A Coles spokesperson clarified that the containers were 'recyclable and made from 100 per cent recycled plastic'.

The representative said: ‘Coles Bakery cookies use packaging that is recyclable and made with 100 per cent recycled plastic.’

‘This is one of the many initiatives Coles has adopted as part of our Together to Zero waste ambition, to reduce problematic and unnecessary single-use plastics packaging in our Coles Own Brand product packaging.’

However, this is not the first time Coles has been accused of using ‘unnecessary’ packaging on their products. In a previous article, we shared how some customers react to the retailer’s practice when repackaging sliced bread. You can read more about it here.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles supermarket shopper criticised the store for its excessive plastic use of Jumbo Easter Cookies.
  • The cookies were individually packaged in plastic containers, leading to a heated discussion on Reddit about wasteful plastic usage.
  • Many users agreed this was a 'ridiculous waste of resources' and a 'disgusting waste’.
  • A Coles spokesperson clarified that the containers were recyclable and made from 100% recycled plastic as part of their Together to Zero waste ambition.

Meanwhile, it’s also worth mentioning that certain Coles stores, like SDC staff member April’s local store, don't sell these cookies in plastic containers. Instead, they come in paper bags.

So, you might want to check your nearby stores to see if they also sell these Easter treats in paper bags.

What do you think about this particular plastic waste issue? Do you think it’s time for Coles and other retailers to ditch plastic packaging and completely use paper bags? Let us know in the comments.

Sponsored
Plastic packaging has become an unsurprisingly controversial topic in recent times.

As our understanding of the environment and the effects of plastic's presence in it become clearer and clearer, it's safe to say that people are beginning to take more responsibility for the amount of plastic packaging they use.

They’re looking more critically at what products they consume and objects they choose to buy or not buy.

Despite the growing awareness of plastic waste, we still come across products unnecessarily wrapped in plastic packaging. This recently happened to a customer at Coles.

Sharing on Reddit, the shopper was frustrated to see dozens of Jumbo Easter Cookies sold in the bakery section and at checkouts for $2 each.

1b84989de3b233e65fd85f2e5ea7fd7c3955a7cc-4x3-x0y0w640h480.jpg

Shoppers accused Coles of using ‘excessive’ plastic packaging. Credit: Reddit.

Each individual cookie was placed in its own container, leading to a heated discussion about the 'excessive' use of plastic on the popular message board.

'The point is that it’s extremely wasteful and out of touch to sell these like this right now, with wastage concerns high and people feeling the strain on shopping etc.,' the customer wrote in a post.

The original poster’s point was furthered when they pointed out that in the same aisle, an eight-pack of a similar variety of cookies were available in a paper bag for only $3.50.

Needless to say, many Reddit users agreed that this was an example of 'ridiculous waste of resources' and a 'disgusting waste'.

One person wrote: ‘A paper bag would have been perfect, both the consumable if not eaten and the bag would be compostable and perfect for the green bin.’

‘It needs to be banned,’ another added.

A third chimed in: ‘I always see these containers used for cheese and bacon rolls. Not sure why a paper bag can’t suffice for something baked and eaten the same day most of the time.’

‘And yet if I don’t have a paper straw for my drink, I’M the one destroying the planet,’ another angry shopper said.

While some individuals were okay with the price of the cookies, they expressed concern over the excessive use of plastic packaging.

One user noted: ‘I don’t even find $2 for a jumbo cookie to be expensive at all.’

‘People don’t have to buy it.’

A Coles spokesperson clarified that the containers were 'recyclable and made from 100 per cent recycled plastic'.

The representative said: ‘Coles Bakery cookies use packaging that is recyclable and made with 100 per cent recycled plastic.’

‘This is one of the many initiatives Coles has adopted as part of our Together to Zero waste ambition, to reduce problematic and unnecessary single-use plastics packaging in our Coles Own Brand product packaging.’

However, this is not the first time Coles has been accused of using ‘unnecessary’ packaging on their products. In a previous article, we shared how some customers react to the retailer’s practice when repackaging sliced bread. You can read more about it here.

Key Takeaways

• A Coles supermarket shopper criticised the store for its excessive plastic use of Jumbo Easter Cookies.
  • The cookies were individually packaged in plastic containers, leading to a heated discussion on Reddit about wasteful plastic usage.
  • Many users agreed this was a 'ridiculous waste of resources' and a 'disgusting waste’.
  • A Coles spokesperson clarified that the containers were recyclable and made from 100% recycled plastic as part of their Together to Zero waste ambition.

Meanwhile, it’s also worth mentioning that certain Coles stores, like SDC staff member April’s local store, don't sell these cookies in plastic containers. Instead, they come in paper bags.

So, you might want to check your nearby stores to see if they also sell these Easter treats in paper bags.

What do you think about this particular plastic waste issue? Do you think it’s time for Coles and other retailers to ditch plastic packaging and completely use paper bags? Let us know in the comments.
If these cookies have butter or similar as part of the ingredients, wouldn't the grease be leached & absorbed by the paper bag, producing an unsightly oily patch or patches on the bag?

Save plastic and make your own, no plastic needed and money saved by baking at home, cheaper, better and untouched by any hands except the home bakers.

Reactions: Ezzy
Save plastic and make your own, no plastic needed and money saved by baking at home, cheaper, better and untouched by any hands except the home bakers.
As a teenager l spent a lot of my free time making cookies & cakes. The home made varieties never seemed to last as long as the shop bought in my experience.

I find it interesting that we went to plastic and away from paper bags to save the trees (from which paper is produced) so what is our choice!!!!!!

Reactions: Ezzy