Shopper slams Coles for ‘excessive’ plastic use on Easter buy - Is it time to say goodbye to plastic packaging?

Plastic packaging has become an unsurprisingly controversial topic in recent times.

As our understanding of the environment and the effects of plastic's presence in it become clearer and clearer, it's safe to say that people are beginning to take more responsibility for the amount of plastic packaging they use.

They’re looking more critically at what products they consume and objects they choose to buy or not buy.

Despite the growing awareness of plastic waste, we still come across products unnecessarily wrapped in plastic packaging. This recently happened to a customer at Coles.

Sharing on Reddit, the shopper was frustrated to see dozens of Jumbo Easter Cookies sold in the bakery section and at checkouts for $2 each.

1b84989de3b233e65fd85f2e5ea7fd7c3955a7cc-4x3-x0y0w640h480.jpg

Shoppers accused Coles of using ‘excessive’ plastic packaging. Credit: Reddit.

Each individual cookie was placed in its own container, leading to a heated discussion about the 'excessive' use of plastic on the popular message board.

'The point is that it’s extremely wasteful and out of touch to sell these like this right now, with wastage concerns high and people feeling the strain on shopping etc.,' the customer wrote in a post.

The original poster’s point was furthered when they pointed out that in the same aisle, an eight-pack of a similar variety of cookies were available in a paper bag for only $3.50.

Needless to say, many Reddit users agreed that this was an example of 'ridiculous waste of resources' and a 'disgusting waste'.

One person wrote: ‘A paper bag would have been perfect, both the consumable if not eaten and the bag would be compostable and perfect for the green bin.’

‘It needs to be banned,’ another added.

A third chimed in: ‘I always see these containers used for cheese and bacon rolls. Not sure why a paper bag can’t suffice for something baked and eaten the same day most of the time.’

‘And yet if I don’t have a paper straw for my drink, I’M the one destroying the planet,’ another angry shopper said.

While some individuals were okay with the price of the cookies, they expressed concern over the excessive use of plastic packaging.

One user noted: ‘I don’t even find $2 for a jumbo cookie to be expensive at all.’

‘People don’t have to buy it.’

A Coles spokesperson clarified that the containers were 'recyclable and made from 100 per cent recycled plastic'.

The representative said: ‘Coles Bakery cookies use packaging that is recyclable and made with 100 per cent recycled plastic.’

‘This is one of the many initiatives Coles has adopted as part of our Together to Zero waste ambition, to reduce problematic and unnecessary single-use plastics packaging in our Coles Own Brand product packaging.’

However, this is not the first time Coles has been accused of using ‘unnecessary’ packaging on their products. In a previous article, we shared how some customers react to the retailer’s practice when repackaging sliced bread. You can read more about it here.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles supermarket shopper criticised the store for its excessive plastic use of Jumbo Easter Cookies.
  • The cookies were individually packaged in plastic containers, leading to a heated discussion on Reddit about wasteful plastic usage.
  • Many users agreed this was a 'ridiculous waste of resources' and a 'disgusting waste’.
  • A Coles spokesperson clarified that the containers were recyclable and made from 100% recycled plastic as part of their Together to Zero waste ambition.

Meanwhile, it’s also worth mentioning that certain Coles stores, like SDC staff member April’s local store, don't sell these cookies in plastic containers. Instead, they come in paper bags.

So, you might want to check your nearby stores to see if they also sell these Easter treats in paper bags.

What do you think about this particular plastic waste issue? Do you think it’s time for Coles and other retailers to ditch plastic packaging and completely use paper bags? Let us know in the comments.

Sponsored
And, of course, the race to reintroduce a new contender for the collection of soft plastics in Australia is going at breathtaking speed, isn't it? Yes, I can see Albo's lips quivering as he delivers the good news that so many thousands of tons have been saved for recycling and not destined for landfill, meanwhile the goodly members behind him are cheering, "Hear, hear!"

There is nothing wrong with this packaging, as stated the containers were recyclable and made from 100% recycled plastic as part of their Together to Zero waste ambition.

Again people jump to conclusions and are quick to post negative comments

Those containers actually stop the cookies from breaking, if it was put in a paper bag they would complain about the cookie breaking.

If we look at all the biscuits in the biscuit isle most are in plastic bags and inside in a plastic container.

I know when I buy my son the chocolate chip cookies in the paper bag by the time we get home most are broken so I've actually stopped buying them and gone back to better packed ones.

I could have post and complained about my cookies being broken and that they should be packed more securely.....but what for !!!

Not so long ago, we used to go to the baker who would pick up bread, bread rolls, etc, with their bare (unwashed?) hands and hand it to us.

And when I was a child, the grocer would give me lollies out of the lolly jar on top of the counter. Again, bare hands.

Plastic packaging has become an unsurprisingly controversial topic in recent times.

As our understanding of the environment and the effects of plastic's presence in it become clearer and clearer, it's safe to say that people are beginning to take more responsibility for the amount of plastic packaging they use.

They’re looking more critically at what products they consume and objects they choose to buy or not buy.

Despite the growing awareness of plastic waste, we still come across products unnecessarily wrapped in plastic packaging. This recently happened to a customer at Coles.

Sharing on Reddit, the shopper was frustrated to see dozens of Jumbo Easter Cookies sold in the bakery section and at checkouts for $2 each.

Each individual cookie was placed in its own container, leading to a heated discussion about the 'excessive' use of plastic on the popular message board.

'The point is that it’s extremely wasteful and out of touch to sell these like this right now, with wastage concerns high and people feeling the strain on shopping etc.,' the customer wrote in a post.

The original poster’s point was furthered when they pointed out that in the same aisle, an eight-pack of a similar variety of cookies were available in a paper bag for only $3.50.

Needless to say, many Reddit users agreed that this was an example of 'ridiculous waste of resources' and a 'disgusting waste'.

One person wrote: ‘A paper bag would have been perfect, both the consumable if not eaten and the bag would be compostable and perfect for the green bin.’

A third chimed in: ‘I always see these containers used for cheese and bacon rolls. Not sure why a paper bag can’t suffice for something baked and eaten the same day most of the time.’

‘And yet if I don’t have a paper straw for my drink, I’M the one destroying the planet,’ another angry shopper said.

While some individuals were okay with the price of the cookies, they expressed concern over the excessive use of plastic packaging.

One user noted: ‘I don’t even find $2 for a jumbo cookie to be expensive at all.’

A Coles spokesperson clarified that the containers were 'recyclable and made from 100 per cent recycled plastic'.

The representative said: ‘Coles Bakery cookies use packaging that is recyclable and made with 100 per cent recycled plastic.’

‘This is one of the many initiatives Coles has adopted as part of our Together to Zero waste ambition, to reduce problematic and unnecessary single-use plastics packaging in our Coles Own Brand product packaging.’

However, this is not the first time Coles has been accused of using ‘unnecessary’ packaging on their products. In a previous article, we shared how some customers react to the retailer’s practice when repackaging sliced bread. You can read more about it here.

Key Takeaways

• A Coles supermarket shopper criticised the store for its excessive plastic use of Jumbo Easter Cookies.
  • The cookies were individually packaged in plastic containers, leading to a heated discussion on Reddit about wasteful plastic usage.
  • Many users agreed this was a 'ridiculous waste of resources' and a 'disgusting waste’.
  • A Coles spokesperson clarified that the containers were recyclable and made from 100% recycled plastic as part of their Together to Zero waste ambition.

Meanwhile, it’s also worth mentioning that certain Coles stores, like SDC staff member April’s local store, don't sell these cookies in plastic containers. Instead, they come in paper bags.

So, you might want to check your nearby stores to see if they also sell these Easter treats in paper bags.

What do you think about this particular plastic waste issue? Do you think it’s time for Coles and other retailers to ditch plastic packaging and completely use paper bags? Let us know in the comments.
Paper bags don't display the item properly and I like to see what I am buying. If these were in paper bags you could be getting anything. I don't know what the big deal is with using these plastic containers. The are recyclable and made from recycled products. They also protect the product so that it doesn't end up as crumbs by the time we get it. I don't see a problem with them.

Always check the marking on the back of a ‘plastic’ container. You will see the ‘recycle triangle’ clearly marked. It might look like the ‘plastic’ container is the previous ‘plastic’ we used to get, but now now most ‘plastic’ containers are of the 100% recyclable kind and are marked as such.

Paper bags don't display the item properly and I like to see what I am buying. If these were in paper bags you could be getting anything. I don't know what the big deal is with using these plastic containers. The are recyclable and made from recycled products. They also protect the product so that it doesn't end up as crumbs by the time we get it. I don't see a problem with them.
I don’t see an issue with them either. Check the recycle logo on the back. I believe it is the law now that packaging must be labeled to show whether it is recyclable and which part is not (some lids may not be) - the ‘recycle logo or the ‘garbage bin logo’ - both indicated to show how to dispose of them.

Last edited:
Plastic containers and wrapping can be a good idea - as mentioned by others. Supermarkets are doing their best with recycling. I buy a whole iceberg lettuce from Aldi that is wrapped, unlike Woolies and Coles. Aldi's lettuce has a use by date as well, which I like.

Key Takeaways

They may be in recyclable packaging, but I would bet 50% of the buyers are getting them for a snack and eating on the run so to speak. There are not many recycling bins in streets just mainly rubbish bins so packaging is not always recycled. Buy a muffin and there is usually a bit stuck to the container, if the packaging is not clean the recyclers reject it. You can't wash containers if miles from home.

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
I, myself, personally, at this present point of time, I mean right now, don't buy cookies. I prefer good old biscuits. And I don't like tomayto sauce on my pies -- a trend which is creeping in. I'd rather have tomahto sauce, thank you.

Not so long ago, we used to go to the baker who would pick up bread, bread rolls, etc, with their bare (unwashed?) hands and hand it to us.

And when I was a child, the grocer would give me lollies out of the lolly jar on top of the counter. Again, bare hands.
It is a wonder we survived and are still here in our80's

Imagine if the stores had to please each and every customer………….
These days people whinge about everything, I don’t understand why 🤷🏻‍♀️
Maybe it’s the purpose of having followers and likes on their posts 😁😁
What a spoiled generation!!!

Please keep them in their package, I wouldn't buy it if someone else have been touching it with their unwashed hands and there will be many. Please don't go overboard with no packaging.
That's right what's so disgusting I wouldn't want to see it just on shelf

Reactions: Di Di

I wish the media would stop talking for us. There are many, many of us who are NOT complaining about the use of plastic. Who don't believe all the hype about the environment and saving the world.