Shopper shares why she refuses to visit Kmart ever again

As much as we may love them, there comes a time in every person's life when they have to break up with their favourite store (be it a new budget or a loss of faith in their products or service). For Mary, that time has come with Kmart.

They've had some good times together – like when she bought plenty of amazing bargain finds during the pandemic, or that gorgeous day when she found the perfect black basic t-shirt for only $3. We can't accuse her of not having a good memory!

But sadly, the bad has started to outweigh the good. After several good years together with Kmart, she has made the tough decision to break up with the major retailer, arguing that the store has now become a terrible place to shop.

Like most breakups, it's not just one thing that's led to this decision – a few issues have slowly built up and created a growing and unhealthy resentment.

So without further ado, here are her three biggest problems with Kmart:

pZQmUyUrYVcEuqcBxpx3_rvFO-S_VTMxsOVDxq34SfbOX-xehHCava90lqOahaM7urQVhwzpO5oCFD2YxaFfdx4VZVXgNyTOOClwCyl1C2gOqfKdKgsboHGf5_3HKBVc4g4lTCYc-bcT8iAZfDnDPUW5lGGuPQirXqRP8v3ED66IsHJoLFxG4Oz_

A Kmart shopper has revealed the reasoning behind 'breaking up' with the retail giant. Credit: NCA NewsWire/Dean Martin.

Firstly, she doesn't like the self-service checkouts.

Most of the time, the scanning systems malfunction, so shoppers must ask for assistance; however, given that Kmart has decreased its staff in favour of self-service checkouts, there is generally no one around to help in situations like these.

'You stand there wondering, at this point, would it just be easier to steal than try to get someone to help?' Mary joked.

'Because, let's face it, finding a Kmart staff member in the self-service checkout section is tough. They are as scarce as a taxi during a storm.'

Second, she dislikes the fact that Kmart has to check shoppers receipts on their way out of the store.

'Your receipt is always or often checked on the way out. So, if you don't trust us to begin with, why are you giving us self-serve checkouts?' she asked.

If there is no trust in the relationship, it can't succeed. Then, she used the example of telling your spouse to enjoy his boys' night and then showing up at the pub disguised as a customer and spying on him.

bPkYDdMh-85FaxuJ4n5jKFYtjnfbdYJiAyESgWNxEZGkkg2anpKpyWjDjdZc40yA6zYLRzpVOHa7f9WnvDyX8xIQKxkwBLE1QT9rYYxAeO0SzYu-A_P3vqJDLkNvYT-UyZIoESr2ZOkzMAhrlYxW9Jvvbc8cSZA-UrjmL8ZYsljpMZjJXrGX6uci

Shoppers at Kmart have complained that employees check customer’s receipts when they use the self-checkout. Credit: YouTube.

Third and most importantly, she claims Kmart isn't up to par – and Mary's not just talking about the quality of their items, but also about the retail giant's ethical practices.

According to the fashion industry watchdog Good On You, none of Kmart's supply chains have been approved by labour regulations that guarantee the well-being of its workers. The vast majority of the workforce is also earning less than what would be considered a 'living wage'.

'Basically, by supporting Kmart, I'm also supporting poor working conditions. Which I simply cannot condone,' explained Mary.

Mary isn't the only one to call out Kmart for its negligence and poor business practices.

According to other shoppers who frequent Kmart, the store has been getting progressively worse in the past few years, from reduced quality and standards to the expansion of self-checkouts.

However, they also realised that stepping away from shopping at the budget retailer is considered a 'privilege', given how expensive everything is these days.

f3h4OuyCcT8zAe7o0sCZUVf4mAWN3wRRWBqpCZl4mFfXH7-RBDlKznY-Cd3kpE_fRpr3bM8jwaJdUwN0_oZwICxFw23yL3QrszkwhTBy5FT0b5huk2vSk3G7nb-XoEjN71DzgrCHDyOy9Q7feKqO7jCIss0jTFbpbEmVo_aT_TBlI0Ch3y0s3p0R

Several shoppers are stepping away from Kmart. Credit: AAPIMAGE.

'My boycott also isn't a judgement call on people who are still in a relationship with Kmart. I get it,' Mary added.

But she also went on to say that she believes where we spend our money makes a huge difference. 'So, until Kmart cleans up its act, I need to walk away,' said the shopper.

What do you think, members? Do you agree with her and also believe it's high time to call it quits? Or do you have other thoughts in mind? Share them with us in the comments!

Sponsored
I will not use self service check outs, EVER. If that is the only option to shop at any particular store then I just won't go there. All these shops don't care about their customers or their staff. All they care about is profits and shareholders. With that attitude I don't want to spend my money there.
I personally will never shop at Bing Lee again because as soon as you enter the store a sales person follows you around like a lost puppy. I've asked staff to leave me alone and that I will call them when I am ready but they will not take the hint so I walk out.
The Good Guys are another store that I will not go again. They match prices but don't beat them so I go back to the last person that gave me the best price. They've lost literally tens of thousands of dollars in sales from me with that attitude.
They may not care but that is how people will desert them over time and they lose credibility.

Reactions: Ricci
I haven't personally shopped at KMart for over 6 years now. I have done a couple of on-line orders in that time but only when I can get free shipping. I haven't bought clothes there in I don't know how long as I decided to work my way through all the stuff I already have and to get the full value from my purchases. I have made the decision going forward to have one or two good pieces rather than a dozen cheap and cheerful ones.:)
I agree.

Reactions: Ricci