Shopper shares why she refuses to visit Kmart ever again

As much as we may love them, there comes a time in every person's life when they have to break up with their favourite store (be it a new budget or a loss of faith in their products or service). For Mary, that time has come with Kmart.

They've had some good times together – like when she bought plenty of amazing bargain finds during the pandemic, or that gorgeous day when she found the perfect black basic t-shirt for only $3. We can't accuse her of not having a good memory!

But sadly, the bad has started to outweigh the good. After several good years together with Kmart, she has made the tough decision to break up with the major retailer, arguing that the store has now become a terrible place to shop.

Like most breakups, it's not just one thing that's led to this decision – a few issues have slowly built up and created a growing and unhealthy resentment.

So without further ado, here are her three biggest problems with Kmart:

pZQmUyUrYVcEuqcBxpx3_rvFO-S_VTMxsOVDxq34SfbOX-xehHCava90lqOahaM7urQVhwzpO5oCFD2YxaFfdx4VZVXgNyTOOClwCyl1C2gOqfKdKgsboHGf5_3HKBVc4g4lTCYc-bcT8iAZfDnDPUW5lGGuPQirXqRP8v3ED66IsHJoLFxG4Oz_

A Kmart shopper has revealed the reasoning behind 'breaking up' with the retail giant. Credit: NCA NewsWire/Dean Martin.

Firstly, she doesn't like the self-service checkouts.

Most of the time, the scanning systems malfunction, so shoppers must ask for assistance; however, given that Kmart has decreased its staff in favour of self-service checkouts, there is generally no one around to help in situations like these.

'You stand there wondering, at this point, would it just be easier to steal than try to get someone to help?' Mary joked.

'Because, let's face it, finding a Kmart staff member in the self-service checkout section is tough. They are as scarce as a taxi during a storm.'

Second, she dislikes the fact that Kmart has to check shoppers receipts on their way out of the store.

'Your receipt is always or often checked on the way out. So, if you don't trust us to begin with, why are you giving us self-serve checkouts?' she asked.

If there is no trust in the relationship, it can't succeed. Then, she used the example of telling your spouse to enjoy his boys' night and then showing up at the pub disguised as a customer and spying on him.

bPkYDdMh-85FaxuJ4n5jKFYtjnfbdYJiAyESgWNxEZGkkg2anpKpyWjDjdZc40yA6zYLRzpVOHa7f9WnvDyX8xIQKxkwBLE1QT9rYYxAeO0SzYu-A_P3vqJDLkNvYT-UyZIoESr2ZOkzMAhrlYxW9Jvvbc8cSZA-UrjmL8ZYsljpMZjJXrGX6uci

Shoppers at Kmart have complained that employees check customer’s receipts when they use the self-checkout. Credit: YouTube.

Third and most importantly, she claims Kmart isn't up to par – and Mary's not just talking about the quality of their items, but also about the retail giant's ethical practices.

According to the fashion industry watchdog Good On You, none of Kmart's supply chains have been approved by labour regulations that guarantee the well-being of its workers. The vast majority of the workforce is also earning less than what would be considered a 'living wage'.

'Basically, by supporting Kmart, I'm also supporting poor working conditions. Which I simply cannot condone,' explained Mary.

Mary isn't the only one to call out Kmart for its negligence and poor business practices.

According to other shoppers who frequent Kmart, the store has been getting progressively worse in the past few years, from reduced quality and standards to the expansion of self-checkouts.

However, they also realised that stepping away from shopping at the budget retailer is considered a 'privilege', given how expensive everything is these days.

f3h4OuyCcT8zAe7o0sCZUVf4mAWN3wRRWBqpCZl4mFfXH7-RBDlKznY-Cd3kpE_fRpr3bM8jwaJdUwN0_oZwICxFw23yL3QrszkwhTBy5FT0b5huk2vSk3G7nb-XoEjN71DzgrCHDyOy9Q7feKqO7jCIss0jTFbpbEmVo_aT_TBlI0Ch3y0s3p0R

Several shoppers are stepping away from Kmart. Credit: AAPIMAGE.

'My boycott also isn't a judgement call on people who are still in a relationship with Kmart. I get it,' Mary added.

But she also went on to say that she believes where we spend our money makes a huge difference. 'So, until Kmart cleans up its act, I need to walk away,' said the shopper.

What do you think, members? Do you agree with her and also believe it's high time to call it quits? Or do you have other thoughts in mind? Share them with us in the comments!

Sponsored
As much as we may love them, there comes a time in every person's life when they have to break up with their favourite store (be it a new budget or a loss of faith in their products or service). For Mary, that time has come with Kmart.

They've had some good times together – like when she bought plenty of amazing bargain finds during the pandemic, or that gorgeous day when she found the perfect black basic t-shirt for only $3. We can't accuse her of not having a good memory!

But sadly, the bad has started to outweigh the good. After several good years together with Kmart, she has made the tough decision to break up with the major retailer, arguing that the store has now become a terrible place to shop.

Like most breakups, it's not just one thing that's led to this decision – a few issues have slowly built up and created a growing and unhealthy resentment.

pZQmUyUrYVcEuqcBxpx3_rvFO-S_VTMxsOVDxq34SfbOX-xehHCava90lqOahaM7urQVhwzpO5oCFD2YxaFfdx4VZVXgNyTOOClwCyl1C2gOqfKdKgsboHGf5_3HKBVc4g4lTCYc-bcT8iAZfDnDPUW5lGGuPQirXqRP8v3ED66IsHJoLFxG4Oz_

A Kmart shopper has revealed the reasoning behind 'breaking up' with the retail giant. Credit: NCA NewsWire/Dean Martin.

Most of the time, the scanning systems malfunction, so shoppers must ask for assistance; however, given that Kmart has decreased its staff in favour of self-service checkouts, there is generally no one around to help in situations like these.

'You stand there wondering, at this point, would it just be easier to steal than try to get someone to help?' Mary joked.

'Because, let's face it, finding a Kmart staff member in the self-service checkout section is tough. They are as scarce as a taxi during a storm.'

Second, she dislikes the fact that Kmart has to check shoppers receipts on their way out of the store.

'Your receipt is always or often checked on the way out. So, if you don't trust us to begin with, why are you giving us self-serve checkouts?' she asked.

If there is no trust in the relationship, it can't succeed. Then, she used the example of telling your spouse to enjoy his boys' night and then showing up at the pub disguised as a customer and spying on him.

bPkYDdMh-85FaxuJ4n5jKFYtjnfbdYJiAyESgWNxEZGkkg2anpKpyWjDjdZc40yA6zYLRzpVOHa7f9WnvDyX8xIQKxkwBLE1QT9rYYxAeO0SzYu-A_P3vqJDLkNvYT-UyZIoESr2ZOkzMAhrlYxW9Jvvbc8cSZA-UrjmL8ZYsljpMZjJXrGX6uci

Shoppers at Kmart have complained that employees check customer’s receipts when they use the self-checkout. Credit: YouTube.

Third and most importantly, she claims Kmart isn't up to par – and Mary's not just talking about the quality of their items, but also about the retail giant's ethical practices.

According to the fashion industry watchdog Good On You, none of Kmart's supply chains have been approved by labour regulations that guarantee the well-being of its workers. The vast majority of the workforce is also earning less than what would be considered a 'living wage'.

'Basically, by supporting Kmart, I'm also supporting poor working conditions. Which I simply cannot condone,' explained Mary.

Mary isn't the only one to call out Kmart for its negligence and poor business practices.

According to other shoppers who frequent Kmart, the store has been getting progressively worse in the past few years, from reduced quality and standards to the expansion of self-checkouts.

However, they also realised that stepping away from shopping at the budget retailer is considered a 'privilege', given how expensive everything is these days.

f3h4OuyCcT8zAe7o0sCZUVf4mAWN3wRRWBqpCZl4mFfXH7-RBDlKznY-Cd3kpE_fRpr3bM8jwaJdUwN0_oZwICxFw23yL3QrszkwhTBy5FT0b5huk2vSk3G7nb-XoEjN71DzgrCHDyOy9Q7feKqO7jCIss0jTFbpbEmVo_aT_TBlI0Ch3y0s3p0R

'My boycott also isn't a judgement call on people who are still in a relationship with Kmart. I get it,' Mary added.

But she also went on to say that she believes where we spend our money makes a huge difference. 'So, until Kmart cleans up its act, I need to walk away,' said the shopper.

What do you think, members? Do you agree with her and also believe it's high time to call it quits? Or do you have other thoughts in mind? Share them with us in the comments!
I dislike Kmart because they do not have control of sizes of clothing, I bought to pairs of shorts same brand and size they were so different it was laughable when I complained they nothing we can do about it, YES they can it's called quality control, morons

Last edited:

I live in Port Pirie, S.A. and km

I live in port pirie,s.a. and kmart here is great..Checking receipts here and in mount barker is not new. I hope Mary has a lot of money as the next 18 months is going to be rough

Me too. I really get annoyed with the self serve checkouts in the middle of the store, and then being asked to show my receipt at the exit.
If you don't trust me, then put the checkouts at the exit.
This exit check also applies to JB HiFi.
I'm of the opinion the ruse is to make us walk all the way through the store, hoping we'll spot something we didn't go in for, therefore spend more.
It's the only reason I can think of for
the placement of the check outs.
At least JB hifi has staff to serve you though.
In our local Kmart , there is usually one staffer serving, so I wait till that person is free, and pay for my purchases there.
I also walk out of the store avoiding showing my receipt, for the very same reason as Mary.

I agree about 'Self serve Counter' I always wait to be served by staff. I think Kmart prices are very good in fashion, house furnishings.. Electricals. I don't like being checked over on way out. If someone wants to steal, they'll do it in store. And if you don't trust us. Put the checkouts back to the front as before. You've made it even easier for the shoplifters now.

I agree about 'Self serve Counter' I always wait to be served by staff. I think Kmart prices are very good in fashion, house furnishings.. Electricals. I don't like being checked over on way out. If someone wants to steal, they'll do it in store. And if you don't trust us. Put the checkouts back to the front as before. You've made it even easier for the shoplifters now.
I've always found the staff member at the entrance is helpful on the way IN to quickly go to the product I require.

I agree - check out process should be at the exit, not in heart of the store.

These feedbacks above should be invaluable for K Mart management - I hope they take these comments on board.

KMart and Target I do not buy from for the reason of lack of customer service- rest of my family shop there I go in with family members , if I want electrical I go to Harris Scarfe, their clothing not to sure of, arts and crafts I go to the smaller shops who are reasonably priced. I will not use self service as I have said before they do not payment a cashier wage.! There are other places to shop at. I don’t like Kmart clothing as after one wash the clothing is skewing- there are plenty of other shops around with better quality and customer service

100% agree with everything you just wrote.

Had a big issue with Kmart when they secretly installed the use of facial recognition technology ( Big Brother stuff) in selected stores. Thanks to CHOICE and others like me who complained....Kmart for the time being has suspended this privacy issue. But you can bet they'll reinstate the cameras.

I agree whole heartedly with the comments on K Mart - poor quality clothing, ridiculous HIGH display of clothing that's unreachable, poor range of sizes, invisible staff & the usual rude reply to an enquiry "If it's not on display we haven't got it"! Veronica Read

I use to shop at Kmart all.the time but stopped due to the new layout of the store, it makes it difficult to find what you need and slso the placement of the checkouts.
Totally agree. Having the checkouts in the middle of the store is ridiculous, how much easier does it make it for shoplifters.
I do not use selfserve checkouts, I'd much rather stand in a queue for awhile for a staff assisted checkout. Kmart is not the only store or supermarket who is removing the normal checkouts for more selfserve, maybe they should be offering a discount to use selfserve as we are saving them wages if we use them. They are also not the only store where it's difficult to find a staff member.
The checking of receipts does not bother me, that's been happening for, many years ago we would have to check all bags, strollers and handbags before people left the store, there just so many dishonest people out there now.
I use to shop at Kmart all.the time but stopped due to the new layout of the store, it makes it difficult to find what you need and slso the placement of the checkouts.

I haven't personally shopped at KMart for over 6 years now. I have done a couple of on-line orders in that time but only when I can get free shipping. I haven't bought clothes there in I don't know how long as I decided to work my way through all the stuff I already have and to get the full value from my purchases. I have made the decision going forward to have one or two good pieces rather than a dozen cheap and cheerful ones.:)

Reactions: Zoya and Wendy
I live in Port Pirie, S.A. and km

I live in port pirie,s.a. and kmart here is great..Checking receipts here and in mount barker is not new. I hope Mary has a lot of money as the next 18 months is going to be rough
Mary will be fine. Even if she doesn't have a lot of money, she can go to op shops, or do without. I don't shop in KMart because they have nothing I NEED.

Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci
I haven't shopped at K Mart since they brought in self serve registers. Don't miss it at all. Big W is starting to get as bad. If I need to go there I don't go before 10 am. They seem to have a manned register after that time and rarely before.

Reactions: Ashmenou and Ricci

Lol…I’m sure Kmart aren’t in mourning!!!!!

Reactions: Ricci
I haven't shopped at K Mart since they brought in self serve registers. Don't miss it at all. Big W is starting to get as bad. If I need to go there I don't go before 10 am. They seem to have a manned register after that time and rarely before.
Both is as bad. Avoid them as much as I can