Shopper shares brilliant money-saving tip for when you need emergency cash

As the cost of living rises, many Australians worry about affording their weekly grocery bill. Many often live on a fixed income, so every little bit can help stretch their budgets.

Well, worry no more, dear members! A fellow ALDI shopper has shared a simple and easy money-saving tip to help ease ongoing cost-of-living pressures.

In a popular Facebook group, an Aussie mum asked about the possibility of purchasing Afterpay gift cards for ALDI, as she was struggling to afford groceries for her family.

For those who may not be familiar, Afterpay is a Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) service that allows shoppers to purchase gift cards and split the cost into four separate payments. This feature is currently available at supermarkets such as Woolworths and Coles and other retailers like Kmart, Bunnings Warehouse, Harvey Norman, and JB Hi-Fi.

Screen Shot 2023-06-19 at 10.15.01 AM.png
An ALDI shopper shared her simple tip to save money for groceries, aiming to help fellow customers with cost-of-living pressures. Credit: Unsplash/Melissa Walker Horn.

Unfortunately, it seems that ALDI does not currently offer this service – a fact that disappointed many on social media, as it could have been a convenient way to manage grocery costs. However, this hiccup didn't stop some shoppers from offering an alternative solution!

One supportive mum shared her homemade trick for setting aside emergency grocery money: 'Afterpay don't have ALDI (capability), I've looked before,' she wrote in response to the original post.

'But each week I go shopping, I get a $10 or $20 gift card for ALDI and put it away, so if something like this happens, you don't have to worry. It comes in handy, even (to) use at Christmas.'

This simple practice of purchasing an extra $10 or $20 ALDI gift card during your weekly shopping can help you slowly accumulate substantial savings.

Over a year, you could amass over $500 in emergency funds – ready to be used for groceries, essential items or even holiday shopping!

Considering that recent financial hardship surveys revealed that four in 10 Australians are experiencing financial strain, this strategy for setting aside extra funds could make an enormous difference.

Individuals facing hardship may have difficulties paying bills or rent, affording food and necessities, covering mortgage or loan repayments, or preparing for an emergency.

With almost 16% of survey respondents admitting insufficient funds for food and basics, adopting an innovative savings plan like the ALDI gift card tip could help alleviate these looming pressures.

Key Takeaways

• An ALDI shopper has shared her simple tip to save money for groceries, helping fellow customers ease ongoing cost-of-living pressures.
  • Shoppers can buy gift cards through Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) service Afterpay, which can be used at Woolworths and Coles but not at ALDI.
  • One mum suggested purchasing a $10 or $20 ALDI gift card each week, creating emergency savings.
  • In March, a NAB hardship survey found four in 10 Australians are experiencing financial hardship, the highest number recorded since the early days of the COVID outbreak.

If you're not shopping at ALDI but still want to find ways to save money, Afterpay gift cards can be a great option.

Here's how it works: First, select the desired amount and the recipient for your e-Gift Card, then complete the purchase using Afterpay. Once you've made your purchase, Afterpay will send you an order confirmation email.

Shortly after that, Prezzee, Afterpay's chosen gift card supplier, will send a second email containing the e-Gift Card to the recipient's email address.

However, it's important to note that while Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) schemes offer convenience, consumer advocacy groups have raised concerns regarding potential drawbacks.

These concerns include the risk of accumulating excessive debt, difficulties managing repayments, and a need for more transparency regarding terms and conditions.

Many individuals are already facing financial challenges, so these schemes may pose additional risks for vulnerable consumers. Therefore, before using these gift cards, familiarising yourself with the terms and conditions is crucial to avoid getting into debt.

how_to_use_afterpay_responsibly.jpg

We hope you find these tips helpful, members! If you have any other advice on saving money from time to time, please share them with us in the comments below. We would love to hear from you!

Sponsored
As the cost of living rises, many Australians worry about affording their weekly grocery bill. Many often live on a fixed income, so every little bit can help stretch their budgets.

Well, worry no more, dear members! A fellow ALDI shopper has shared a simple and easy money-saving tip to help ease ongoing cost-of-living pressures.

In a popular Facebook group, an Aussie mum asked about the possibility of purchasing Afterpay gift cards for ALDI, as she was struggling to afford groceries for her family.

For those who may not be familiar, Afterpay is a Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) service that allows shoppers to purchase gift cards and split the cost into four separate payments. This feature is currently available at supermarkets such as Woolworths and Coles and other retailers like Kmart, Bunnings Warehouse, Harvey Norman, and JB Hi-Fi.

View attachment 22627
An ALDI shopper shared her simple tip to save money for groceries, aiming to help fellow customers with cost-of-living pressures. Credit: Unsplash/Melissa Walker Horn.

Unfortunately, it seems that ALDI does not currently offer this service – a fact that disappointed many on social media, as it could have been a convenient way to manage grocery costs. However, this hiccup didn't stop some shoppers from offering an alternative solution!

One supportive mum shared her homemade trick for setting aside emergency grocery money: 'Afterpay don't have ALDI (capability), I've looked before,' she wrote in response to the original post.

'But each week I go shopping, I get a $10 or $20 gift card for ALDI and put it away, so if something like this happens, you don't have to worry. It comes in handy, even (to) use at Christmas.'

This simple practice of purchasing an extra $10 or $20 ALDI gift card during your weekly shopping can help you slowly accumulate substantial savings.

Over a year, you could amass over $500 in emergency funds – ready to be used for groceries, essential items or even holiday shopping!

Considering that recent financial hardship surveys revealed that four in 10 Australians are experiencing financial strain, this strategy for setting aside extra funds could make an enormous difference.

Individuals facing hardship may have difficulties paying bills or rent, affording food and necessities, covering mortgage or loan repayments, or preparing for an emergency.

With almost 16% of survey respondents admitting insufficient funds for food and basics, adopting an innovative savings plan like the ALDI gift card tip could help alleviate these looming pressures.

Key Takeaways

• An ALDI shopper has shared her simple tip to save money for groceries, helping fellow customers ease ongoing cost-of-living pressures.
  • Shoppers can buy gift cards through Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) service Afterpay, which can be used at Woolworths and Coles but not at ALDI.
  • One mum suggested purchasing a $10 or $20 ALDI gift card each week, creating emergency savings.
  • In March, a NAB hardship survey found four in 10 Australians are experiencing financial hardship, the highest number recorded since the early days of the COVID outbreak.

If you're not shopping at ALDI but still want to find ways to save money, Afterpay gift cards can be a great option.

Here's how it works: First, select the desired amount and the recipient for your e-Gift Card, then complete the purchase using Afterpay. Once you've made your purchase, Afterpay will send you an order confirmation email.

Shortly after that, Prezzee, Afterpay's chosen gift card supplier, will send a second email containing the e-Gift Card to the recipient's email address.

However, it's important to note that while Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) schemes offer convenience, consumer advocacy groups have raised concerns regarding potential drawbacks.

These concerns include the risk of accumulating excessive debt, difficulties managing repayments, and a need for more transparency regarding terms and conditions.

Many individuals are already facing financial challenges, so these schemes may pose additional risks for vulnerable consumers. Therefore, before using these gift cards, familiarising yourself with the terms and conditions is crucial to avoid getting into debt.

We hope you find these tips helpful, members! If you have any other advice on saving money from time to time, please share them with us in the comments below. We would love to hear from you!

Surely it would be better to have a bank account to put away a small amount every say pension day which would give you a safe haven for your money.
I would doubt very strongly using any of these Afterpay outfits would be a sensible way to purchase essential items as if for some reason you were to miss a repayment and no one can forecast the future the penalties these outfits charge would soon Put you in the poor house.

If you are a

View attachment 22627

Key Takeaways

Coles' shoppers can always cash in their accumulated FlyBuys for FlyBuy dollars and use those to pay for groceries when times are tough. I save mine up for Christmas then my FlyBuy dollars mean Christmas costs me nothing as I usually have around $600 spend on food and gifts. I do have a Coles Source Credit Card which means everything I purchase during the year using it, also earns me more Flybuys and as long as I pay that in full each month I pay no interest either.

Surely it would be better to have a bank account to put away a small amount every say pension day which would give you a safe haven for your money.
I would doubt very strongly using any of these Afterpay outfits would be a sensible way to purchase essential items as if for some reason you were to miss a repayment and no one can forecast the future the penalties these outfits charge would soon Put you in the poor house.
also, Centrelink will allow you to set up a Centrepay account to 'quarantine' money until you reach a set goal or cash in the money.

I can't see the attraction for Afterpay. it claims "When you use Afterpay, you pay for your items in 4 equal instalments over 6 weeks, without incurring any interest." but you will get hit if you are late. "There are no late fees if you pay on time. However, if you miss a payment, we do charge late fees."
Which they hope you do it's how the make their money. basically, it not free.
She does have a good idea for you when you can do it, same with having account for Xmas or Woolies and Coles rewards cards or the jar idea. I do have a credit card no a high balance but it paid in full every month, so I don't have interest fees, just the yearly $99 annual fee. Which is fine for the Card, its gives me extra flybys points. But there are lower fee credit cards out there. Last time I was charged interest charges was in 2018.

Yes, I agree, it's a false economy. Does not sound like a logical thing to do. As per the add by Seniors, how do you save up to $500 per year? If this add is about developing a way of putting money aside for shopping at times when someone may be short of funds, then it's not about saving money at the checkout, its just budget advice, but it's one where Aldi get the money up front.

Too complicated and financially messy. I would say avoid it like the plague. I use Afterpay occasionally for some items that I need which are expensive. It simply helps spread the payments over a number of weeks with no interest. I do not use it too often, mainly for 20kg bags of dog biscuits. By buying in bulk I get a better price and by splitting the payments it is much easier to handle with my pension.

I can't see the attraction for Afterpay. it claims "When you use Afterpay, you pay for your items in 4 equal instalments over 6 weeks, without incurring any interest." but you will get hit if you are late. "There are no late fees if you pay on time. However, if you miss a payment, we do charge late fees."
Which they hope you do it's how the make their money. basically, it not free.
She does have a good idea for you when you can do it, same with having account for Xmas or Woolies and Coles rewards cards or the jar idea. I do have a credit card no a high balance but it paid in full every month, so I don't have interest fees, just the yearly $99 annual fee. Which is fine for the Card, its gives me extra flybys points. But there are lower fee credit cards out there. Last time I was charged interest charges was in 2018.
Afterpay is just another form of the infamous Money Lenders, as most will pay more in the end. I understand many are unable to juggle their finances, especially if they have children, but to prey on these people who are not innovative ( or able to) at budgeting what they receive, is their aim. There should be free systems set up to show them how to get the most out of their spending. Many prefer to choose near or ready-made type food today which is more expensive in the long run than cooking as we oldies always did and still do! There are some great young home cooks out there and online, who offer some excellent hints too.
Supermarkets never lose but gain in profits after all.

Too complicated and financially messy. I would say avoid it like the plague. I use Afterpay occasionally for some items that I need which are expensive. It simply helps spread the payments over a number of weeks with no interest. I do not use it too often, mainly for 20kg bags of dog biscuits. By buying in bulk I get a better price and by splitting the payments it is much easier to handle with my pension.
I would be in great trouble if I bought a 20kg bag of dog food by after-pay as we use one of those every week with 2 large watchdogs. I use after-pay when I need something from My Deal like new bedding or kitchen equipment. Then I only use Pay Pal then as they have pay-in-4 deals now.

Wouldn't it be better just to stick $10 in a jar each week rather than buying a gift card with I think has a small fee attached also , this small fee would add up with each gift card .
Also - can you imagine the way you would pay with a bunch of gift cards for a purchase of &100 or more - the person on the register would be frantic!!!!

If there is one thing this world did not need, it's Afterpay and related buy now/pay later options.

I have two credit cards, each with a $5,000 limit, which I pay off in full each month. If I need to purchase something that takes me over the limit, I transfer money from savings across into the credit card - takes a couple of minutes on-line.

Reactions: TheBear
This is a

View attachment 22627

Key Takeaways

This would be a great idea, if you have enough $ left from shopping. Most people I know, cany do tjis!​

If someone is needing to use afterpay to buy their groceries I'd say they are in big trouble. It takes six weeks to pay it off, what do they use for the next six weeks to buy groceries?

Reactions: Trudi
In my opinion, none of these ‘buy now pay later’ schemes and credit cards come without interest and fees. So where is the saving, if you have to pay these fees?

View attachment 22627

Key Takeaways

In my opinion, none of these ‘buy now pay later’ schemes and credit cards come without interest and fees. So where is the saving, if you have to pay these fees?
I love this idea, I hadn’t thought about buying gift cars and keeping them for emergencies now I will be doing this and using them for gifts etc. We now have 5 birthdays in December plus Christmas so I will certainly be getting gift cards from different outlets and use them for Christmas and birthday presents.