Shopper left frustrated over 'jammed' gold coins in ALDI trolleys: "Are your trolleys done this way purposely?"

After noticing a strange problem with a group of ALDI carts in the parking lot of his neighbourhood store, a customer has taken to social media to air his concerns.

The shopper expressed his frustration on Twitter, saying that it left him feeling peeved after discovering that multiple gold coins had been crammed into each of the trolleys.

A gold coin is traditionally inserted into the trolley by ALDI customers to break the chain and free it from the other shopping carts.

When a customer has finished shopping and brought their trolley back to the correct location, they can then retrieve their gold coin by placing the chain back into the shopping cart.

However, in this particular scenario, the shopper discovered that multiple trolleys had gold coins inserted in both slots of the trolleys, despite the chains being connected to one another.

rAoB_KewXD_4GN874ZrbWPdLxRoo0iT8OAajuLWPqmVnDyfus_lKruj4R8naNkBmXp2BvT2iqy2_zrzYTX-sEteXXV_m4ZgdYOVy6LHxoW6tfybmMYhPl3pDpET9IwWPd9hSWpEK_q6gXAUweM8

The trolley is intended to release the gold coin once the chain is fastened. Credit: Twitter.

The Twitter user mentioned in his post that he was alarmed by the number of fellow ALDI customers who had been unable to recoup their money after returning their shopping carts.

"Are your trolleys done this way purposely? There are many customers who cannot get their coins back!" he wrote.

The ALDI customer continued by saying that he had contacted local ALDI staff in an effort to address the problem; however, he had been unsuccessful in his efforts.

ALDI encourages any customers who are having issues to submit an online enquiry through the ALDI Help Centre so that a member of the team can look into it further and assist them.

Members, if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, don't be afraid to ask a staff member for assistance in getting your gold coin back! It's true that each gold coin only costs 99 cents, but money is money, no matter how small the amount.

If you don't have any gold coins with you, these tricks from one of our previous articles can come in handy, but we advise that you only use them as a last resort.

The following video may be helpful to you as well:

Credit: Polski85.

Sponsored
It's true that each gold coin only costs 99 cents, but money is money, no matter how small the amount.

mmm, and here I am believing that gold coins were either ONE dollar or TWO dollars :unsure::unsure:
Bloody deflation!!!!

Reactions: SandyM and Ricci
After noticing a strange problem with a group of ALDI carts in the parking lot of his neighbourhood store, a customer has taken to social media to air his concerns.

The shopper expressed his frustration on Twitter, saying that it left him feeling peeved after discovering that multiple gold coins had been crammed into each of the trolleys.

A gold coin is traditionally inserted into the trolley by ALDI customers to break the chain and free it from the other shopping carts.

When a customer has finished shopping and brought their trolley back to the correct location, they can then retrieve their gold coin by placing the chain back into the shopping cart.

However, in this particular scenario, the shopper discovered that multiple trolleys had gold coins inserted in both slots of the trolleys, despite the chains being connected to one another.

rAoB_KewXD_4GN874ZrbWPdLxRoo0iT8OAajuLWPqmVnDyfus_lKruj4R8naNkBmXp2BvT2iqy2_zrzYTX-sEteXXV_m4ZgdYOVy6LHxoW6tfybmMYhPl3pDpET9IwWPd9hSWpEK_q6gXAUweM8

The trolley is intended to release the gold coin once the chain is fastened. Credit: Twitter.

The Twitter user mentioned in his post that he was alarmed by the number of fellow ALDI customers who had been unable to recoup their money after returning their shopping carts.

"Are your trolleys done this way purposely? There are many customers who cannot get their coins back!" he wrote.

The ALDI customer continued by saying that he had contacted local ALDI staff in an effort to address the problem; however, he had been unsuccessful in his efforts.

ALDI encourages any customers who are having issues to submit an online enquiry through the ALDI Help Centre so that a member of the team can look into it further and assist them.

Members, if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, don't be afraid to ask a staff member for assistance in getting your gold coin back! It's true that each gold coin only costs 99 cents, but money is money, no matter how small the amount.

If you don't have any gold coins with you, these tricks from one of our previous articles can come in handy, but we advise that you only use them as a last resort.

This happened to me once, but with an Aldi token. So I retrieved a pair of pliers from my car glove box and recovered the token. Dah daaaah! Problem solved.

I might be a little more eagle-eyed in future and go gold digging with my pliers. Could pay for my shopping....😅

Last edited:

Hi, I am sorry that you experienced this. However I feel this might be a simple misfortune on your part. I think if you would have gone inside and explained the situation some staff member would/might have been able to help you. Even though you stated that you went inside for help - I find this very hard to believe - you must have had an unlucky day. Communication is the key and not just complaining about it. I have shopped at Aldi since it opened here and never had an issue like this.

Reactions: 68autobug and Ricci

I always use an ALDI Token which costs $1... First time I went to ALDIs... 30 klms away, and I went to take a trolley, but they were chained together... I went & told an Aldi Staff member who took a $1 coin out of the till & gave Me as I never carry any coins on me.... naturally, when I had finished I took the $1 coin back to the staff member.... 68autobug lee

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricci