Shopper goes on angry 'rant' against an ALDI cashier – is it reasonable?

Supermarket employees are not given enough credit for the job they do every single day, from various logistical works inside the store to dealing with different kinds of customers.

That's why it's no surprise that a 'rant' posted by one ALDI shopper over her recent checkout experience has gotten people talking on social media.

The 'rant' began when an ALDI shopper recalled the incident which happened at her local store in Melbourne. Posting on a popular Facebook group, she recalled how she discovered she had been overcharged for a discounted item.

A photo of the ALDI customer's receipt showed that she was charged $13.99 for a reduced pack of smoked salmon instead of $7.19, which is what the receipt said she should have paid.

When the customer asked for the amount to be refunded, she claimed the person working at the register had shortchanged her, giving her $6.30 instead of $6.80.

vlJe5ly5THhahRAl2d9z5FiP00AffAluL2ybGYtr7vpvAP3DAHTt1VyoIStvuGPC-0iD86clnJj_NSuX2iFfxzQ3faPtNFMDQiFJZfEmfPBIU4ej8ETIkDh1HhPiUQR0ULIhJUMmn-rMftyKJtz3_OU

An ALDI customer is in hot water after sharing a 'rant' against a checkout worker. Credit: Facebook/ALDI Mums.

'Today, as usual, I did my weekly shop at my local ALDI - it didn't turn out to be pleasant,' she wrote in a post on the Aldi Mums Facebook group.

'The checkout staff charged me full price for a product that was on special, but when I approached her and told her she gave me the wrong change, she insisted that is what it says on the till.'

'My math is not great, but if I was charged $13.99 for something that is $7.19, I should be refunded the difference, right? She only gave me $6.30 instead of $6.80.'

She also mentioned that she knows pricing mistakes are common and that it's okay, and she was happy to just get a refund for it and go on her way. But the employee's 'despicable' behaviour was what really set her off.

'The worst part was she said, 'If it's not correct, then I'll give you the difference.' She made me feel like I was in the wrong,' the woman went on to say.

'So I waited for a few minutes to explain to her that she indeed gave me the wrong change, but the line was just too long.'

'I know it's only 50c, but money is money plus her attitude was despicable. (End of rant).'

62zxL8VSMEpyQCMOhX_6kZ0_z5dgDyK39e0R4xH44UOShrbZ0HYXmgNbQUkCIIE5S0hlbEEVyQ0RXXVCV7eZ7xS_yY9zQ82FES9QBd2oZ2IdnDgrhNveLE0W0y9QoCaGY42HvKzmkm7gRLeZRGE3nhQ

The ALDI customer was really upset by the employee's 'despicable' behaviour. Credit: picture alliance/dpa/picture alliance via Getty. (Stock photo)

While posting the rant, the shopper could have been under the impression that her fellow ALDI shoppers would share her frustrations; yet, the response from many of them was the complete opposite of what she had expected.

Many users were quick to point the finger at the woman and tell her to have more compassion for the employees of the store.

One user wrote in the comments section of the woman's post, defending the staff member: 'They have to override the reduced price themselves. She probably just missed the sticker. Then they have to work out the change themselves it's not on the screen.'

'Maybe she got flustered and made a mistake considering you confronted her. Cashiers at ALDI can serve over 200 people in a shift, so mistakes will happen. They have a lot going on speed, lines, working out money and more.'

'Maybe next time, show a bit more understanding for the cashier just trying to do her best.'

A second user went to call out the woman in a lengthy comment as well, saying: 'Go easy on customer service staff, please. It's been a really crappy few years for most of us. You can't possibly imagine the abuse and negativity we have received. Be kind.'

'ALDI staff do all of the change calculations in their head. Reduced products need to be manually entered also. It's easy to get flustered in situations like this,' said a third, adding that the woman should at least try 'not to be too hard' on these workers.

RMAGZYM7Ka9u7-c1f4SJLfPXmmdZy4LV_dJIDYeXIDmAdlgcUr3dr3ikT60NLVSMKaKdQMWD8nE1g46mGo3UaLrma9sJZQwRUebCVQxRB-AMW6ukSw5peDgp05cS3Zf2lm2rDxdU1WfpjBC6OPgczBI

Customers don't always appreciate the work that supermarket workers do every day. Credit: Alamy. (Stock photo)

However, the shopper stood by her original message, insisting that, contrary to what the other members of the Facebook group said, she was not in any way 'rude' to the ALDI employee.

'I did give her a break and my 50c,' she responded to the comments. 'I was not rude to her. My confrontation was very mellow, actually.'

'I wasn't rude to her. But her insistence and her saying that if it was wrong she would give me the money. That made me feel like I was in the wrong and kicked up a fuss. Did not sit well there.'

Members, if you ever find yourself shopping at ALDI and are given the incorrect change by a store employee, you can always approach them and ask for the correct amount.

ALDI also encourages customers to use their online feedback form to get in touch with them if they had a bad shopping experience or if something else wasn't right.

Let us know what you think in the comments!

Sponsored
Mistakes do happen, and most are happy to fix it with a smile but unfortunately there are people out there who are having a bad day and will make others feel bad.

I agree 50c is 50c and it all adds up. And I would rather collect that 50c and drop it in a donation box . If there were a donation box at the checkout I would drop it in there as soon as they refund

Majority of stores are more than happy to refund.

Make sure you approach the checkout person with a smile and you will see a smile gets you far

Last edited:
If the change was incorrect just stand there and ask respectfully for it to be rectified you can always quickly use your phone calculator if they are having a problem with the amount, I noticed an item was wrongly charged yesterday at Aldi checkout as groceries were being put through, I pointed it out to the cashier and he overrode the amount immediately and rung up the correct item no problem. Not sure if Aldi do the thing where if you're incorrectly charged the item is free and you get money refunded like the other supermarkets.

Supermarket employees are not given enough credit for the job they do every single day, from various logistical works inside the store to dealing with different kinds of customers.

That's why it's no surprise that a 'rant' posted by one ALDI shopper over her recent checkout experience has gotten people talking on social media.

The 'rant' began when an ALDI shopper recalled the incident which happened at her local store in Melbourne. Posting on a popular Facebook group, she recalled how she discovered she had been overcharged for a discounted item.

A photo of the ALDI customer's receipt showed that she was charged $13.99 for a reduced pack of smoked salmon instead of $7.19, which is what the receipt said she should have paid.

When the customer asked for the amount to be refunded, she claimed the person working at the register had shortchanged her, giving her $6.30 instead of $6.80.

vlJe5ly5THhahRAl2d9z5FiP00AffAluL2ybGYtr7vpvAP3DAHTt1VyoIStvuGPC-0iD86clnJj_NSuX2iFfxzQ3faPtNFMDQiFJZfEmfPBIU4ej8ETIkDh1HhPiUQR0ULIhJUMmn-rMftyKJtz3_OU

An ALDI customer is in hot water after sharing a 'rant' against a checkout worker. Credit: Facebook/ALDI Mums.

'Today, as usual, I did my weekly shop at my local ALDI - it didn't turn out to be pleasant,' she wrote in a post on the Aldi Mums Facebook group.

'The checkout staff charged me full price for a product that was on special, but when I approached her and told her she gave me the wrong change, she insisted that is what it says on the till.'

'My math is not great, but if I was charged $13.99 for something that is $7.19, I should be refunded the difference, right? She only gave me $6.30 instead of $6.80.'

She also mentioned that she knows pricing mistakes are common and that it's okay, and she was happy to just get a refund for it and go on her way. But the employee's 'despicable' behaviour was what really set her off.

'The worst part was she said, 'If it's not correct, then I'll give you the difference.' She made me feel like I was in the wrong,' the woman went on to say.

'So I waited for a few minutes to explain to her that she indeed gave me the wrong change, but the line was just too long.'

'I know it's only 50c, but money is money plus her attitude was despicable. (End of rant).'

62zxL8VSMEpyQCMOhX_6kZ0_z5dgDyK39e0R4xH44UOShrbZ0HYXmgNbQUkCIIE5S0hlbEEVyQ0RXXVCV7eZ7xS_yY9zQ82FES9QBd2oZ2IdnDgrhNveLE0W0y9QoCaGY42HvKzmkm7gRLeZRGE3nhQ

The ALDI customer was really upset by the employee's 'despicable' behaviour. Credit: picture alliance/dpa/picture alliance via Getty. (Stock photo)

While posting the rant, the shopper could have been under the impression that her fellow ALDI shoppers would share her frustrations; yet, the response from many of them was the complete opposite of what she had expected.

Many users were quick to point the finger at the woman and tell her to have more compassion for the employees of the store.

One user wrote in the comments section of the woman's post, defending the staff member: 'They have to override the reduced price themselves. She probably just missed the sticker. Then they have to work out the change themselves it's not on the screen.'

'Maybe she got flustered and made a mistake considering you confronted her. Cashiers at ALDI can serve over 200 people in a shift, so mistakes will happen. They have a lot going on speed, lines, working out money and more.'

'Maybe next time, show a bit more understanding for the cashier just trying to do her best.'

A second user went to call out the woman in a lengthy comment as well, saying: 'Go easy on customer service staff, please. It's been a really crappy few years for most of us. You can't possibly imagine the abuse and negativity we have received. Be kind.'

'ALDI staff do all of the change calculations in their head. Reduced products need to be manually entered also. It's easy to get flustered in situations like this,' said a third, adding that the woman should at least try 'not to be too hard' on these workers.

RMAGZYM7Ka9u7-c1f4SJLfPXmmdZy4LV_dJIDYeXIDmAdlgcUr3dr3ikT60NLVSMKaKdQMWD8nE1g46mGo3UaLrma9sJZQwRUebCVQxRB-AMW6ukSw5peDgp05cS3Zf2lm2rDxdU1WfpjBC6OPgczBI

Customers don't always appreciate the work that supermarket workers do every day. Credit: Alamy. (Stock photo)

However, the shopper stood by her original message, insisting that, contrary to what the other members of the Facebook group said, she was not in any way 'rude' to the ALDI employee.

'I did give her a break and my 50c,' she responded to the comments. 'I was not rude to her. My confrontation was very mellow, actually.'

'I wasn't rude to her. But her insistence and her saying that if it was wrong she would give me the money. That made me feel like I was in the wrong and kicked up a fuss. Did not sit well there.'

Members, if you ever find yourself shopping at ALDI and are given the incorrect change by a store employee, you can always approach them and ask for the correct amount.

ALDI also encourages customers to use their online feedback form to get in touch with them if they had a bad shopping experience or if something else wasn't right.

Get over yourself!

As the Japanese say, if you lose your angry in a dispute, you’ve lost the argument! Take out you phone, find the calculator and gently point out to the check out chick the error. Dont forget to smile, not smugly, but in appreciation of someone proving service.

if a few cents is worth you embarrassing yourself you need counselling.

You would be both amazed and concerned with the amount of abuse your average checkout person has to endure over an 8hr shift. They are expected to greet each customer with a smile and treat them as the most important person in their life as they serve them. Sometimes this is hard, sometimes downright impossible. Customers often forget that the checkout person is in fact a human and that words and actions can hurt. Sometimes errors occur, rarely on purpose and definitely not aimed specifically at any one customer. Just try to treat them as you would wish to be treated.:)

Mistakes do happen, and most are happy to fix it with a smile but unfortunately there are people out there who are having a bad day and will make others feel bad.

I agree 50c is 50c and it all adds up. And I would rather collect that 50c and drop it in a donation box . If there were a donation box at the checkout I would drop it in there as soon as they refund

Majority of stores are more than happy to refund.

Make sure you approach the checkout person with a smile and you will see a smile gets you far
I even claim 5 cents, money is money...especially these days...

Reactions: Ricci
You would be both amazed and concerned with the amount of abuse your average checkout person has to endure over an 8hr shift. They are expected to greet each customer with a smile and treat them as the most important person in their life as they serve them. Sometimes this is hard, sometimes downright impossible. Customers often forget that the checkout person is in fact a human and that words and actions can hurt. Sometimes errors occur, rarely on purpose and definitely not aimed specifically at any one customer. Just try to treat them as you would wish to be treated.:)
Well said, unless you have dealt with the public they may not understand . Being abused from customers is hard to grin and bare it. What's the old saying ' customers are always right 😉

Some people I believe go out of there way to make someone's day bad. This woman is a prat in my opinion and made herself in the also store to look like a dropkick. Checkout people do not deserve abuse like this from anyone for such a trivial incident. Hopefully someone at the store told her to Nick off as I would off. A disgraceful person, in Australian
Agree some people do go out of their way to make others feel bad. I think to some 50c is alot , not to me but definitely to others. There needs to be respect by both parties. You make me smile when you said you would tell them to Nick off but I think that would just add fuel to the situation better being a peace maker and feel sorry for the people like this. People we most likely will never see again

I know they work hard to please customers but its still wrong to get the wrong change and not to have looked at the package in the first place,after all its their job and what they get payed for,sorry for being blunt but in a lot of cases its just laziness.

I know they work hard to please customers but its still wrong to get the wrong change and not to have looked at the package in the first place,after all its their job and what they get payed for,sorry for being blunt but in a lot of cases its just laziness.
Some of the kids that work on the checkouts are not well versed in maths. These days the register tells them how much to charge and how much change to give. In a straight refund scenario the register can't help them so they have to do the sum in their head. Don't blame them, blame their education or lack thereof. When putting a lot of items through the register, together with the imposed time constraints, sometimes things will get missed inadvertently, this is not laziness, it's real life, nobody is perfect 100% of the time.:)

Reactions: SandyM and Sloopy
The cashier said she would rectify it if the customer was wrong. I'm not seeing what is despicable there.

I've heard of cashiers who deliberately give wrong change to customers and pocket the difference. Over days, weeks, months, years, this pilfering can really add up. And most customers don't even realise they've been cheated.

So sure, most cashiers are doing a fine job...but...not all of them are on the straight and narrow. Thankfully there are SO many CCTV cameras around now that it's not too difficult to catch the cheaters. But they do need to be reported to catch them. Also, it's a tactic of the well honed cheating cashiers to argue or be overly defensive when customers confront them.

Do I count my change? Damn straight I do.

I think the store management needs to shoulder some of the blame for unfortunate situations such as this because they deliberately keep the stores short-staffed, which puts unnecessary stress on the staff, thus increasing the likelihood that mistakes will occur.

Reactions: Joy Rush
All I can say about Aldi is they are great. I went there for the first time yesterday and was amazed how much cheaper the prices are. I only got a few things and it cost me $15 including soy milk and cat food which I was blown away at the price of. Yes there was only an older man at the check out and there was a queue but he was so polite, I am very impressed. I will when someone takes me be going back to do a bigger shop. Be nice to the check out operators they have so many people to deal with.

I've heard of cashiers who deliberately give wrong change to customers and pocket the difference. Over days, weeks, months, years, this pilfering can really add up. And most customers don't even realise they've been cheated.

So sure, most cashiers are doing a fine job...but...not all of them are on the straight and narrow. Thankfully there are SO many CCTV cameras around now that it's not too difficult to catch the cheaters. But they do need to be reported to catch them. Also, it's a tactic of the well honed cheating cashiers to argue or be overly defensive when customers confront them.

Do I count my change? Damn straight I do.
I would like to think that cashiers giving the wrong change on purpose is an urban myth but I'm not so sure these days. It does however work both ways, I've known customers palm a $1 or $2 coin then come back and say they were short changed which was why I always counted the change back to the customer. As a manager I always had faith in my staff and would offer the customer a look see at the CCTV to check, I've also closed a register and balanced it in front of a stroppy customer to prove no wrongdoing on behalf of the cashier. However, having said that it's instant dismissal if a cashier is found to be anything other than 100% honest and trustworthy.:)

Reactions: SandyM
How would you or child like to be abused? They are not the PM or chief scientist! Generally they are young folks from a non English speaking background. You don’t know what is going on in their life. Have some compassion for others. They were not rude to this woman. She is the aggressor. Narcissistic people like that want to show they are in control of everybody.

How would you or child like to be abused? They are not the PM or chief scientist! Generally they are young folks from a non English speaking background. You don’t know what is going on in their life. Have some compassion for others. They were not rude to this woman. She is the aggressor. Narcissistic people like that want to show they are in control of everybody.
I dont know where you come from and yes I do have compassion and no I dont know whats happening in their lives but lets be real if they dont check to see if things are on special and cant count out change ,they should not be working in that job.This woman had a valad reason to complain,doesnt sound like aggression to me ,just common sense.

Reactions: Zoeshipscat