Shopper goes on angry 'rant' against an ALDI cashier – is it reasonable?

Supermarket employees are not given enough credit for the job they do every single day, from various logistical works inside the store to dealing with different kinds of customers.

That's why it's no surprise that a 'rant' posted by one ALDI shopper over her recent checkout experience has gotten people talking on social media.

The 'rant' began when an ALDI shopper recalled the incident which happened at her local store in Melbourne. Posting on a popular Facebook group, she recalled how she discovered she had been overcharged for a discounted item.

A photo of the ALDI customer's receipt showed that she was charged $13.99 for a reduced pack of smoked salmon instead of $7.19, which is what the receipt said she should have paid.

When the customer asked for the amount to be refunded, she claimed the person working at the register had shortchanged her, giving her $6.30 instead of $6.80.

vlJe5ly5THhahRAl2d9z5FiP00AffAluL2ybGYtr7vpvAP3DAHTt1VyoIStvuGPC-0iD86clnJj_NSuX2iFfxzQ3faPtNFMDQiFJZfEmfPBIU4ej8ETIkDh1HhPiUQR0ULIhJUMmn-rMftyKJtz3_OU

An ALDI customer is in hot water after sharing a 'rant' against a checkout worker. Credit: Facebook/ALDI Mums.

'Today, as usual, I did my weekly shop at my local ALDI - it didn't turn out to be pleasant,' she wrote in a post on the Aldi Mums Facebook group.

'The checkout staff charged me full price for a product that was on special, but when I approached her and told her she gave me the wrong change, she insisted that is what it says on the till.'

'My math is not great, but if I was charged $13.99 for something that is $7.19, I should be refunded the difference, right? She only gave me $6.30 instead of $6.80.'

She also mentioned that she knows pricing mistakes are common and that it's okay, and she was happy to just get a refund for it and go on her way. But the employee's 'despicable' behaviour was what really set her off.

'The worst part was she said, 'If it's not correct, then I'll give you the difference.' She made me feel like I was in the wrong,' the woman went on to say.

'So I waited for a few minutes to explain to her that she indeed gave me the wrong change, but the line was just too long.'

'I know it's only 50c, but money is money plus her attitude was despicable. (End of rant).'

62zxL8VSMEpyQCMOhX_6kZ0_z5dgDyK39e0R4xH44UOShrbZ0HYXmgNbQUkCIIE5S0hlbEEVyQ0RXXVCV7eZ7xS_yY9zQ82FES9QBd2oZ2IdnDgrhNveLE0W0y9QoCaGY42HvKzmkm7gRLeZRGE3nhQ

The ALDI customer was really upset by the employee's 'despicable' behaviour. Credit: picture alliance/dpa/picture alliance via Getty. (Stock photo)

While posting the rant, the shopper could have been under the impression that her fellow ALDI shoppers would share her frustrations; yet, the response from many of them was the complete opposite of what she had expected.

Many users were quick to point the finger at the woman and tell her to have more compassion for the employees of the store.

One user wrote in the comments section of the woman's post, defending the staff member: 'They have to override the reduced price themselves. She probably just missed the sticker. Then they have to work out the change themselves it's not on the screen.'

'Maybe she got flustered and made a mistake considering you confronted her. Cashiers at ALDI can serve over 200 people in a shift, so mistakes will happen. They have a lot going on speed, lines, working out money and more.'

'Maybe next time, show a bit more understanding for the cashier just trying to do her best.'

A second user went to call out the woman in a lengthy comment as well, saying: 'Go easy on customer service staff, please. It's been a really crappy few years for most of us. You can't possibly imagine the abuse and negativity we have received. Be kind.'

'ALDI staff do all of the change calculations in their head. Reduced products need to be manually entered also. It's easy to get flustered in situations like this,' said a third, adding that the woman should at least try 'not to be too hard' on these workers.

RMAGZYM7Ka9u7-c1f4SJLfPXmmdZy4LV_dJIDYeXIDmAdlgcUr3dr3ikT60NLVSMKaKdQMWD8nE1g46mGo3UaLrma9sJZQwRUebCVQxRB-AMW6ukSw5peDgp05cS3Zf2lm2rDxdU1WfpjBC6OPgczBI

Customers don't always appreciate the work that supermarket workers do every day. Credit: Alamy. (Stock photo)

However, the shopper stood by her original message, insisting that, contrary to what the other members of the Facebook group said, she was not in any way 'rude' to the ALDI employee.

'I did give her a break and my 50c,' she responded to the comments. 'I was not rude to her. My confrontation was very mellow, actually.'

'I wasn't rude to her. But her insistence and her saying that if it was wrong she would give me the money. That made me feel like I was in the wrong and kicked up a fuss. Did not sit well there.'

Members, if you ever find yourself shopping at ALDI and are given the incorrect change by a store employee, you can always approach them and ask for the correct amount.

ALDI also encourages customers to use their online feedback form to get in touch with them if they had a bad shopping experience or if something else wasn't right.

Let us know what you think in the comments!

Sponsored
I DON'T EVEN check My small change when paying by cash, but then I usually use a card.. which makes it very easy.....
You are right. If some one needs to risk their job and dignity for a few cents then their need is greater than mine,

Reactions: Ricci