Shopper exposes Coles' curious 'discount'—and employees are defending it!

In a world where every cent counts, finding a good deal can feel like striking gold, especially for those of us who have bid farewell to the full-time workforce.

That's why many of us flock to the red and yellow 'quick sale' stickers in supermarkets, hoping to snag a bargain on our grocery runs.

But what happens when a discount isn't quite what it seems?

A self-proclaimed 'grumpy old man’ recently encountered such a puzzling situation at his local Coles supermarket.

He was on the hunt for savings during his weekly shop when he stumbled upon a 'Quick Sale' that left him more than a little confused.

The man found packets of tomatoes with 'Quick Sale' stickers marked down to $3.91 from the original price of $4.50, which would seem like a decent saving of 59 cents at first glance.

However, upon closer inspection, he noticed that the standard listed price for the tomatoes was actually $3.90—one cent cheaper than the 'discounted' price!

Photo_20240411_080336_0000.png
Items on promotion at supermarkets can sell up to 70 times their normal rate. Image Source: Reddit / grumpyoldmanbrad

Taking to social media, the man shared his discovery with a mix of humour and disbelief, captioning his video, 'Coles not quite getting the hang of a quick sale price.'

The video quickly caught the attention of the online community, sparking discussions and speculation about the cause of this pricing blunder.

When the man sought clarification from the Produce Manager, he was met with a surprising response. The staff member allegedly said that they ‘saw no issue’ with the pricing and that it was ‘supposed to be the way it is’.

This interaction left the man, and later the online community, scratching their heads.

Discounts at supermarkets like Coles can be a bit of a maze to navigate.

There are 'Down Down' discounts that last for three months, 'percentage off' discounts that span a week or two, and 'Locked In' discounts that don't have an end date.

'Quick Sale' discounts, on the other hand, are typically reserved for items nearing their expiration date and are automatically calculated, with further reductions at the store's discretion.

A man who claims to be a Coles worker chimed in on the online discussion, explaining that, ‘The most simple explanation is that a team member doing the markdowns made an error. They might have got distracted and applied the wrong markdown sticker to the wrong product.’

A representative from the store suggested that it was likely that the store had applied a markdown to the tomatoes a day prior to implementing the subsequent price reduction.

They emphasised Coles' commitment to ensuring ‘clear and accurate pricing information on tickets’, urging customers to notify them if anything seems awry.

Regarding the specific discrepancy highlighted in the social media video, the spokesperson attributed it to potential human error at a particular store.

They explained, ‘As we can’t identify the specific store from this video, we are taking this as an opportunity to send a reminder to our team members of the correct markdown process.’

This incident has sparked a broader conversation among shoppers about the state of supermarket discounts.

Some feel that the value of markdowns has declined over the years, with stores appearing reluctant to reduce prices enough to clear stock.

Others have shared their experiences of inconsistent markdown practices across different stores, with some supermarkets being generous while others are stingy.

Key Takeaways

• A man criticised Coles for a 'Quick Sale' on tomatoes which inadvertently priced them higher than the original base price.
  • The Produce Manager could not identify any issues when the price discrepancy was brought up.
  • The viral post sparked conversation and speculation, attributing the mistake to human error during the markdown process.
  • Coles said the situation appeared to be due to an individual store error and stated they take accurate pricing very seriously, using the incident as a reminder to team members about correct procedures.

We understand the importance of getting the most bang for your buck. That's why we encourage our members to always double-check prices, especially when it comes to sale items.

If you ever encounter a confusing discount like the one at Coles, don't hesitate to speak up and ask for clarification. It's your right as a consumer to understand exactly what you're paying for.

If you’re looking to save money where you can, we also encourage you to check out our discount directory for our discounts!

Have you ever come across a discount that didn't add up? Or perhaps you've found a fantastic deal that you'd like to share with fellow seniors? We'd love to hear your stories and tips on navigating supermarket savings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
I have found this often at the two biggies. The best one was a quick sale label showing the original price which agreed with the shelf price - but the sale price was nearly 75 cents ABOVE the lusted price.
‘Guess I should have been standing on my head

• Haha
Reactions: natalielocket
You need to be observant when shopping.
I saw a lady last fortnight buying Nescafe Hazelnut Sachets that were on special
2 for $13, yes that was cheaper, but if you look on the bottom shelf you can buy a large box of 26 for $13.00 (only 10 in a standard box). They are always that price. I pointed it out to her, but she still bought the "special"???
Have also seen people buying
boxes of 24 Pepsi cans on special when the box of 30 was actually cheaper.
You really do need to put your brain into gear when you go shopping, not just pick up something because the sign says"special"

I wish we would get a huge supermarket from OS to open here, that might make Coles and Woolies wake up to themselves!
I don’t like Woolies meat much although they have more general selection than Coles, so many things I find I can’t get at Coles anymore. The manager in the story obviously was thick as a brick and didn’t have a clue!
Don’t trust either one of them.

You need to be observant when shopping.
I saw a lady last fortnight buying Nescafe Hazelnut Sachets that were on special
2 for $13, yes that was cheaper, but if you look on the bottom shelf you can buy a large box of 26 for $13.00 (only 10 in a standard box). They are always that price. I pointed it out to her, but she still bought the "special"???
Have also seen people buying
boxes of 24 Pepsi cans on special when the box of 30 was actually cheaper.
You really do need to put your brain into gear when you go shopping, not just pick up something because the sign says"special"
I agree with you @mylittletibbies. It’s really just common sense, isn’t it? 😀

Not surprised. A while ago I was in my local Coles and one of the items "on sale" was a toilet cleaner, similar to toilet duck. The catch was that you had to buy 2 and you would get them for $14. The problem being that individually they sold for $3:50. I asked the staff about this and was told "corporate make the decisions, not us". Boom, back to IGA where it was still $3:50.

Assuming the photos are correct, then take them to the checkout and if they scan incorrectly, you bring to their attention and the item is free. Same applies to almost all of the above comments/examples, take up the scanning code guarantee and stop whinging. End of story.

I wish we would get a huge supermarket from OS to open here, that might make Coles and Woolies wake up to themselves!
I don’t like Woolies meat much although they have more general selection than Coles, so many things I find I can’t get at Coles anymore. The manager in the story obviously was thick as a brick and didn’t have a clue!
Don’t trust either one of them.
Aldi is great!

Reactions: relljube
You all act like little children chucking a paddy.Everybody makes mistakes just use your brains and weigh everything up yourself.Don't go behide their backs to complain thats being nasty

Reactions: PattiB
You all act like little children chucking a paddy.Everybody makes mistakes just use your brains and weigh everything up yourself.Don't go behide their backs to complain thats being nasty
Does criticising others for criticising others make you feel better about yourself?

It does for most people... me included 🤣

I often lift up or peel away the “Special” label covering the original shelf price to see what the usual price is, or if recently increased. Same at Chemist Warehouse.
Just bcz they claim it is “special” does not mean it is. Sometimes they do it to move stock before price rises.
I hv learned to be suspicious of “good deal”, bcz often it is not that great.

Reactions: Littleboy8