Shopper disappointed over gruesome discovery on Woolworths roast chicken: ‘I’m so put off chicken’

When we think of a roast chicken from the supermarket, we often imagine the convenience of a quick, ready-to-eat meal that can save us time in the kitchen.

However, for one Woolworths customer, this image was shattered when she made a shocking and stomach-turning discovery.

Sarah, a resident of Leederville, had picked up a roast chicken from the deli section at Woolworths in Mt Hawthorn's The Mezz shopping centre, expecting to serve her family a hassle-free dinner.

Little did she know, her meal would come with an uninvited and horrifying addition—live maggots.

Screenshot 2024-09-16 at 10.16.00 AM.png
Sarah had a disgusting discovery on her Woolworths roast chicken. Credit: Facebook

The busy working mother had consumed half of the chicken herself before leaving the rest for her family's dinner.

It was only when her husband reheated the chicken that evening that the gruesome discovery was made.

To their horror, they realised they had already eaten part of the contaminated meal.

In a state of panic, Sarah's husband urged her to ‘go throw up, you don’t know what bacteria is in there’.

‘We were just Googling the risks,’ she recalled.

The couple spent the night researching the possible dangers, concerned for their well-being and children.

Sarah contacted Woolworths that night, expressing her deep concern and urging the supermarket to ‘investigate this matter promptly and take the necessary actions to ensure such incidents do not occur in the future’.

The response she received the next morning, however, felt impersonal and possibly ‘AI-generated’, lacking the empathy and urgency the situation demanded.

'It is concerning to hear that the product did not meet our high standards for quality control as they were live maggots,' the email from Woolworths customer service read.

'I would like to sincerely apologise for the experience and inconvenience caused.'

‘I can imagine how disappointing this was for you. Please be assured that Woolworths takes all feedback such as yours very seriously.’

While the email promised that the issue had been ‘forwarded’ to the store's manager, Sarah was not satisfied with the virtual response and decided to visit the store in person.

‘I could tell he was expecting me, he wasn’t surprised,’ she said.

Upon showing the manager a video of the maggot-infested chicken, she felt he was dismissive and uninterested in viewing the evidence.

After some negotiation, Sarah was offered a refund for the chicken, but she insisted on being reimbursed for her entire purchase, totalling $40.

Her primary concern was not just compensation but assurance that measures would be taken to prevent future occurrences.

Despite her efforts, Sarah has not received further communication from Woolworths.

‘I haven’t heard back since,’ she said.

‘I’m so put off chicken.’

Her sentiment was echoed by friends who shared similar experiences with the supermarket's hot chickens and minced meat on social media.

'If I had gone to a restaurant, it would be such a big deal,' Sarah argued, highlighting the gravity of the situation.

In response to the incident, a Woolworths spokesperson said, 'We take food quality and safety very seriously and have raised this with our deli team and supplier.'

In a similar story, a Woolworths shopper was disgusted after finding insects in his salad mix.

While offered a refund, the shopper expressed concern over food standards. You can read more about the story here.
Key Takeaways

• A Woolworths customer was shocked to find live maggots in a roast chicken purchased at their Mt Hawthorn store.
  • After consuming part of the chicken, the discovery was made when her husband reheated the food for dinner.
  • The customer expressed her disappointment and concern in an email to Woolworths and requested an investigation and preventative measures.
  • Woolworths responded, apologising for the incident and stating that they take food quality and safety very seriously, mentioning that the issue was escalated to the deli team and supplier.
Have you ever encountered a problem with the quality or safety of your food? How was it handled by the store? Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
From someone who worked in deli...this is utter rubbish it takes 8 hours for the eggs to become maggots and it would NOT have happened at the supermarket because the internal temp would have been too hot, when you read the story the husband reheated the chicken? My question is did she put it in the fridge because from.this story
It’s possible as it had been in their house for some time before reheating that it was flyblown there, it’s a very quick process, then again it could of been at the store.
It's impossible that it was at store level as i worked in deli and know the health and safety rules of hot food.
..and maggots would NOT have survived...

Can i suggest NOT buying chickens from any store - the chickens are treated abhorrently and have a life of misery and carted squashed to be tortured before being killed. If you cannot buy organic or biodynamic then think about where your meat is coming from, how it is treated and how it ends up in its final hours. Coles do have organic chicken and red meat that is properly certified -Cleavers, however there are certified organic butchers but that means probably going a bit out of ones way - remember the early days - butcher, fruit shop, deli all separate to being a part of a mega chain.
Oh seriously please don't shove this rubbish down our throats if you don't want to buy it then don't..

This weeks best "Karen complaint awards"
1st prize: BBQ"d Maggot chicken
2nd prize: Paper bags that don't hold 5kg of shopping.
Congratualtions to both Karen's

Sorry folks, I couldn't resist.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Chips
The maggots look small, and not long hatched. Also in a section of chicken that has been broken apart. Seems to me the contamination occurred in her kitchen.