Shopper calls out Coles staff for doing nothing to stop alarming act in store: ‘Why wouldn’t they?!’

Shopping trips are usually mundane affairs, but for one shopper at Coles Bondi Junction, it turned into a scene straight out of a frustrating drama.

Grace from Bronte, a local shopper, witnessed a distressing incident involving two young boys who seemed to have taken the supermarket aisles for a playground of mischief and theft.

In a letter sent to The Beast magazine, Grace detailed her experience, which left her not only shocked but also questioning the effectiveness of our retail security measures.

She described the boys, aged between 13 and 15, as they wreaked havoc in the store.

They were displaying what I’d call inappropriate behaviour, deliberately knocking products off shelves onto the floor, carrying products under their hoodies, etc,’ she said.

shutterstock_1456124597.jpg
A female shopper called out Coles for not doing anything to prevent the two boys from creating chaos inside the store. Credit: Shutterstock

What's more alarming is that Grace alerted a Coles employee about the situation.

'The two boys kept walking. I said to one of the employees, "You'll want to stop them, I guarantee they've stolen something",’ she said.

Grace claimed the female Coles employee responded: ‘We can't. We are not allowed to stop them or ask them to pay for what they have; they’re minors.’

The employee also said to Grace that she was frightened of the boys.

Grace questioned why the security guards didn't prevent them from leaving the store, but the employee explained that they couldn’t do anything.

‘So we all stood and watched while these two mini [criminals] walked out, without a backward glance,’ Grace wrote.

The employee also told her the two boys were familiar to the staff and regularly visited the store as part of a larger gang.

'And why wouldn't they? Free stuff, every time. Untouchable!’ Grace exasperated.

'If I (were) a minor, I'd do it. I'd go to Coles every day and steal stuff, just to prove the point, to illustrate the utter ineffectuality, powerlessness and futility of our figures of authority.'

'I'd steal the huge bags of dog food, ironing boards, brooms and mops, stuff so big it cannot be ignored, and, just maybe, they'd have to address it.'

'There's nothing to gain from this rant,’ she concluded.

'I guess I'd just like some answers from those who decided it's a good idea to encourage our young thugs to grow up to be adult thugs due to a lack of consequences and accountability.'

Coles has responded to the incident by reiterating their commitment to the safety of their team members and customers.

‘The safety of our team members and customers is our top priority, and we never want our team to put themselves at risk of violence,’ a Coles spokesperson said.

'We have a range of security and safety measures in place to reduce theft from our stores, including smart security gates, electronic article surveillance (EAS), personal duress devices, security personnel and surveillance technologies such as CCTV, we also work closely with police to report these matters.'
Key Takeaways

• A female shopper at Coles Bondi Junction witnessed two teenagers engaging in disruptive behaviour and shoplifting.
  • Coles staff informed her that they could not act to stop the boys as they were minors, a response that left the shopper frustrated.
  • The incident was described in an angry letter to The Beast magazine, highlighting the concerns over shoplifters being seemingly untouchable due to their age.
  • A Coles spokesperson emphasised the importance of staff and customer safety and outlined the security measures to combat theft, including cooperation with police.
Have you encountered similar situations in your local supermarkets? How do you think retailers should handle such incidents, especially when minors are involved? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
1…Currently it’s illegal to discipline or punish a child with anything other than words…
2…How’s that working out when the child doesn’t listen and says “what are you going to do, hit me?”
3…Then why should the parent or teacher be held responsible for their child’s very bad behaviour when words and maybe taking away a privilege are all that’s allowed to be called discipline…
4…Some children will become responsible adults but far more will take their entitled and selfish behaviour into adulthood and end up in prison probably because they’ve been allowed to get away with so much badness and bullying as a minor…
5…No one wins in a situation such as this…..we constantly read about or see how bad some of our youth have become…..no one is safe from them because whatever they’ve done, chances are that they have no consequences for their actions…
6…What’s to stop parents sending their child to the supermarket with a small shopping list and no money, because there will be some parents who would do that and probably have already….
7…Parents should be given full authority back, to discipline their children……..For those people who cry child abuse, if that’s the case then the child is probably being abused anyway, and of course that should be reported immediately…..

Easy fix. Hire (NOT 'employ'!) a couple of large blokes who would 'personally' take offence in the activities of such baby thugs, follow them down the street and then beat the shit out of them: painfully and lastingly. (break noses and arms, etc.). Then kick them into the gutter and disappear via a few back alleys. Word would get out quickly (no 'court waiting-periods' etc.) and the thuggies would turn their attention elsewhere. Might DOES make Right.
Can you image the outcry from the do-gooders. I agree exactly what you are saying. Teach the little turds some lessons. This rubbish about being minors is wrong in itself. It should not matter what age you are 7-107 - still know what you are doing so should wear the punishment for stealing any article - big or small
Also with regards to youths, are they not supposed to be at school during school days/hours?

What rubbish! My 13 year old daughter was stupidly caught shoplifting at our local Cole’s supermarket and was hauled into the office and police were called pretty quick smart! All of this done before I was notified! Admittedly,this was 20 years ago but it still stands. The little monsters can still be arrested and removed.

Easy fix. Hire (NOT 'employ'!) a couple of large blokes who would 'personally' take offence in the activities of such baby thugs, follow them down the street and then beat the shit out of them: painfully and lastingly. (break noses and arms, etc.). Then kick them into the gutter and disappear via a few back alleys. Word would get out quickly (no 'court waiting-periods' etc.) and the thuggies would turn their attention elsewhere. Might DOES make Right.
I love this idea!

Reactions: BeautifulMousey
If the boys come there at regular times the supermarket should have a security guard (not in uniform). I believe they can stop them as they leave the store. Some discount stores have issues during school holidays.

as long as the thefts are REPORTED that should fix the problem ...if there's one thing young thieves are scared of its having their antics reported....the shame is almost too much for the little dears to bear....fine the parents
I wish parents were physically to stop their children from stop their children from walking out the door and going where they want to but they haven't been allowed to do that for a few years. Back in the late 1980s - early 90s my nieces were taught that in their first month at school at 5 y.o. Some parents don't care, others are besides themselves worrying where their children are & what they're doing. And that is only the beginning of what they were taught. I could write an essay about it

as long as the thefts are REPORTED that should fix the problem ...if there's one thing young thieves are scared of its having their antics reported....the shame is almost too much for the little dears to bear....fine the parents
No, some if them thrive on the attention, it would give them bragging rights.

I wish parents were physically to stop their children from stop their children from walking out the door and going where they want to but they haven't been allowed to do that for a few years. Back in the late 1980s - early 90s my nieces were taught that in their first month at school at 5 y.o. Some parents don't care, others are besides themselves worrying where their children are & what they're doing. And that is only the beginning of what they were taught. I could write an essay about it
It is a complete breakdown of society, I don't think that we can ever get back to a normal way of life. All the do-gooders would never let discipline of children come back.

What a sad world it has become. Little Sh..ts🤬
I wonder if the parents know???
While shopping in Aldies once a bloke stood at the top of the an aisle loading his track pants with packets of meat then up his top and just walked out.
Years ago someone very close to me and to my absolute shock was caught stealing in Coles. This person was caught and had to do the walk of shame with the police to the shop office. Another shop worker not Coles seen this person and said l know that person they work for us in another suburb. That person was very very lucky and was told they were never to step foot in this Coles store or the shopping centre ever again. Sadly the person who witnessed the walk of shame told the boss. And the person in question was told. We know what you did and you can't be trusted. The person was sacked on the spot. Even after pleading. Yes l made a huge mistake l have never stolen from your business. No there is the door.
It was a dreadful lesson for this adult person to learn. So much embarrassed and shame. I was very shocked that this person had done this, but l had to be supportive because they were in a very bad place after.
Then you have these kids walking in to
A Coles and pushing stock off shelves and walking out with stock and no one can do a thing 😤
Kind regards to all Vicki

It is not only teenagers that get away with these things. I amongst others in the neighbourhood, have been constantly harrassed by three brothers who are all under 11 years old who have also broken windows. The police have been called on each occasion and told me their hands were tied as there is no law covering children of this age doing the wrong thing. On one occasion the policeman did in fact go and talk to their mother who told him she would come and talk to me and reimburse me for any expenses i had incurred. He rang me the next afternoon to see if she had in fact come to see me but of course she had not. He was more than helpful trying to persuade the mother to compensate me but it still cost me $600 excess payments on top of the insurance which arranged for the windows to be replaced. This is a lot of money for me as I am 89 years old and a pensioner. These kids also bring their friends to break into my garden and destroy and steal things.
Reet, l am so sorry you are living with these fears and unneeded expenses.
At your age you should be able to live a safe peaceful life.
I am sending you love and strength 💗 and pray these dreadful kids stay away.
All my love Vicki

Can you image the outcry from the do-gooders. I agree exactly what you are saying. Teach the little turds some lessons. This rubbish about being minors is wrong in itself. It should not matter what age you are 7-107 - still know what you are doing so should wear the punishment for stealing any article - big or small
Also with regards to youths, are they not supposed to be at school during school days/hours?
Unfortunately it's not just supermarkets that are suffering from these little punks. They are now going in gangs and holding up jewellery stores and robbing people all at very young ages. Where is it coming from. These things were unheard of years ago when parents were able to discipline their kids. But it has become a crime for them now. The kids know that if a parent threatens to discipline a child they can just say. if you do we will report you to the police. Everything is backwards now. We were taught manners, respect your elders. And all the other manners that went with it. Bring back the discipline, but then again looking at the crimes these kids commit makes people afraid to do anything because you don't know the backlash that will come from them 😡

Reactions: Tervueren
Yes and it doesn't matter whether it is good attention or bad attention, they still thrive on the attention either way

Reactions: Tervueren
Unfortunately it's not just supermarkets that are suffering from these little punks. They are now going in gangs and holding up jewellery stores and robbing people all at very young ages. Where is it coming from. These things were unheard of years ago when parents were able to discipline their kids. But it has become a crime for them now. The kids know that if a parent threatens to discipline a child they can just say. if you do we will report you to the police. Everything is backwards now. We were taught manners, respect your elders. And all the other manners that went with it. Bring back the discipline, but then again looking at the crimes these kids commit makes people afraid to do anything because you don't know the backlash that will come from them 😡
I am with you BeautifulMousey 100% the world has gone very very backwards. No respect it's so sad.
Take care darling.
Kind regards Vicki

I have friends whose sons are police. They are getting out due to the frustration of catching young hoods and next day they are out doing the same. We will/ are rue the day they were given rights without consequences

I have friends whose sons are police. They are getting out due to the frustration of catching young hoods and next day they are out doing the same. We will/ are rue the day they were given rights without consequences
They must feel like they are wasting their time. Getting these thugs so the courts can just let them go again. Makes them feel like they can do what they want, doesn't matter if the police arrest them, the courts don't see the wrong they are doing. Feel sorry for the police who do their job just so the courts can slap them in face by letting the punks go with no punishment