Shoplifter reveals unique reason they steal only from big supermarkets

As Australia grapples with a punishing cost-of-living crisis, an increasing number of households have been feeling the pinch.

Grocery prices have certainly skyrocketed, with the average family now paying a whopping $1,924 more at the checkout than a year ago.

Inflation is rampant across all areas of the economy, putting massive pressure on already stretched budgets.

As more and more people struggle to make ends meet, this reality has led to increased shoplifting cases across the country.

One anonymous Aussie has revealed that they regularly steal up to $300 worth of items from major retailers like Coles, Woolworths and Kmart.

SDC 5.png
An anonymous Aussie confessed to shoplifting at retail giants like Coles, Woolworths, and Kmart, but never small businesses. Image source: Freepik.

Retail giants like Coles and Woolworths have introduced a raft of new security measures, including the use of artificial intelligence and high-tech cameras at self-serve checkouts, self-locking trolleys, and gates that don’t open if sensors deem an item has been stolen—much to the disappointment of many shoppers.

However, the effectiveness of these measures remains questionable.

'There’s cameras with footage directly of your face now, but it doesn’t deter me,' the anonymous shoplifter confessed.

They went on to explain their motivations, saying the struggle to find an affordable rental property and keeping their pet cat fed amidst rising costs were big factors.

'[Supermarkets] will still be swimming in profits whether I steal a can of $2 cat food or not,' the shopelifter said.

Coles reported a 20 per cent stock loss from shoplifting and food waste as they revealed a $1.1 billion profit in the latest financial year. On the other hand, Woolies estimated a quarter of stock loss due to theft when they revealed their $1.62 billion profit.

They also said that they would never target smaller businesses.

Even on the front lines dealing with shoplifters, retail workers have mixed feelings.

One Woolworths deli worker said they often turn a blind eye, assuming the person must be in dire straits.

The worker also shared that they would secretly mark down items for friends and customers after seeing large price jumps.

'If I have the power to do it, and it’s not that risky for me, then I'll happily do what I can to help out,' they confessed.

'It's not like I get paid extra if I stop shoplifting.'

But do all the pressures justify the act of stealing?

According to research by Monash Business School’s Australian Consumer and Retail Studies (ACRS) group, attitudes towards retail theft vary widely across generations. Those between 18 and 34 years of age are far more likely to justify shoplifting than those over 55.

Moreover, 28 per cent thought retail theft was either little, somewhat, very, or completely justifiable. Self-serve checkout theft skewed toward being more acceptable at 32 per cent.

See the results of the study below:

Justifiability of deviant consumer behaviours- Theft.jpg

The Australian Retail Association claimed that shoplifting has seen a 'steady increase' and has cost the industry an average of $9 billion annually.

There has also been an increase in organised crimes targeting high-price items and reselling them as service to people struggling to buy the items in-store.
Key Takeaways

• Extreme security measures from supermarket giants like Coles and Woolworths did not prevent one anonymous Aussie from shoplifting due to cost-of-living pressures.
  • The confessed shoplifter has cited difficulty securing affordable rent and feeding her pet as motivations for her theft.
  • A Woolworths deli worker has admitted to disregarding shoplifting and even secretly marking down items for friends and customers after seeing large price jumps.
  • Research from Monash Business School’s Australian Consumer and Retail Studies group found that over a quarter of respondents thought retail theft was at least somewhat justifiable.
Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Share them with us in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
The take from this for me was the part that staff don't also think they're complicit in stealing when they mark something down for friends or family. When caught, it's grounds for instant dismissal and a criminal conviction that will stay on record for the remainder of your working life. Along with facial recognition software that is in use to match convicted shoplifters, they'll never be able to shop in that group again without being monitor every time they set foot in the door.

The take from this for me was the part that staff don't also think they're complicit in stealing when they mark something down for friends or family. When caught, it's grounds for instant dismissal and a criminal conviction that will stay on record for the remainder of your working life. Along with facial recognition software that is in use to match convicted shoplifters, they'll never be able to shop in that group again without being monitor every time they set foot in the door.
Offences such as shoplifting are regarded as minor and considered a spent conviction after seven years. Whether the records are still accessible to prospective employees, for example, I'm not sure.

Same as debts to banks, utilities companies and telcos. They are wiped after seven years by what is termed as a "Statute of Limitations".

Reactions: Ricki
It goes to show that as the generations move on, less and less people are teaching their children the acceptable right and wrongs in this
society
It's sad to think that such a large percentage of 18 to 34 year olds justify shop lifting. What are their children going to be like??

As Australia grapples with a punishing cost-of-living crisis, an increasing number of households have been feeling the pinch.

Grocery prices have certainly skyrocketed, with the average family now paying a whopping $1,924 more at the checkout than a year ago.

Inflation is rampant across all areas of the economy, putting massive pressure on already stretched budgets.

As more and more people struggle to make ends meet, this reality has led to increased shoplifting cases across the country.

One anonymous Aussie has revealed that they regularly steal up to $300 worth of items from major retailers like Coles, Woolworths and Kmart.

View attachment 32550
An anonymous Aussie confessed to shoplifting at retail giants like Coles, Woolworths, and Kmart, but never small businesses. Image source: Freepik.

Retail giants like Coles and Woolworths have introduced a raft of new security measures, including the use of artificial intelligence and high-tech cameras at self-serve checkouts, self-locking trolleys, and gates that don’t open if sensors deem an item has been stolen—much to the disappointment of many shoppers.

'There’s cameras with footage directly of your face now, but it doesn’t deter me,' the anonymous shoplifter confessed.

They went on to explain their motivations, saying the struggle to find an affordable rental property and keeping their pet cat fed amidst rising costs were big factors.

'[Supermarkets] will still be swimming in profits whether I steal a can of $2 cat food or not,' the shopelifter said.

Coles reported a 20 per cent stock loss from shoplifting and food waste as they revealed a $1.1 billion profit in the latest financial year. On the other hand, Woolies estimated a quarter of stock loss due to theft when they revealed their $1.62 billion profit.

Even on the front lines dealing with shoplifters, retail workers have mixed feelings.

One Woolworths deli worker said they often turn a blind eye, assuming the person must be in dire straits.

The worker also shared that they would secretly mark down items for friends and customers after seeing large price jumps.

'If I have the power to do it, and it’s not that risky for me, then I'll happily do what I can to help out,' they confessed.

According to research by Monash Business School’s Australian Consumer and Retail Studies (ACRS) group, attitudes towards retail theft vary widely across generations. Those between 18 and 34 years of age are far more likely to justify shoplifting than those over 55.

Moreover, 28 per cent thought retail theft was either little, somewhat, very, or completely justifiable. Self-serve checkout theft skewed toward being more acceptable at 32 per cent.

View attachment 32566

The Australian Retail Association claimed that shoplifting has seen a 'steady increase' and has cost the industry an average of $9 billion annually.

There has also been an increase in organised crimes targeting high-price items and reselling them as service to people struggling to buy the items in-store.
Key Takeaways

• Extreme security measures from supermarket giants like Coles and Woolworths did not prevent one anonymous Aussie from shoplifting due to cost-of-living pressures.
  • The confessed shoplifter has cited difficulty securing affordable rent and feeding her pet as motivations for her theft.
  • A Woolworths deli worker has admitted to disregarding shoplifting and even secretly marking down items for friends and customers after seeing large price jumps.
  • Research from Monash Business School’s Australian Consumer and Retail Studies group found that over a quarter of respondents thought retail theft was at least somewhat justifiable.
Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Share them with us in the comments below!
It took a minute to pick my jaw up off the floor. Don’t they realise how stores have to allow for shoplifters, and who pays the extra, we honest people that’s who. People in dire straights need to be made aware of food bank who happily provide essentials and pet food those who need it.
What has happened to thou shall not steal? As a young married mum my children ate my pets ate , I had a tin of baked beans, cheap and nutritious and I didn’t have to steal it. What are you teaching your children? Morals are going out the window. So sad

View attachment 32550

View attachment 32566

Key Takeaways

Product pricing builds in losses due to spoilage, theft etc. This increases the prices overall. So essentially, we law-abiding citizens (many being pensioners) pay extra to make up for the theft by others. At the end of the day, if you live a dishonest life, it will only get worse, not better for you and the consequences will grow. No moral compass leads to only caring about yourself and not caring about others.

The worst of it is the fact that the majority of shoplifters are thrill seekers, addicts supporting a habit, habitual thieves and gangs of petty criminals working under a fence (slang for someone who sells stolen goods). Very few are desperate or hungry, as is so often used as an excuse.
The person cited in this article can try all she likes to justify her actions, but her thieving should be dealt with asap.
After many years in retail management in the Melbourne CBD, there are very few excuses that I didn't hear from offenders. They always attempted to justify their actions, it was never their fault, but the bottom line is theft is theft. I've got some stories that I could tell you about some of the characters I met and their attempts to extricate themselves once caught. Maybe at a later date, it makes for interesting reading 🧐

View attachment 32550

View attachment 32566

Key Takeaways

I don't think there is any excuse for shop lifting and it is stealing and that is just not right but however some people are maybe desperate to feed their families and this is why they do it. The people I despise are those who steal from liquor shops and there is absolutely no excuse for that.

my family went through a phase where we didn’t know where the next meal was going to come from. We had children as well and we didn’t know where to get the milk for them. Inspire of that no one in my family stooped to stealing. We just had to be extremely careful how we spent the money from my sister and brothers wages. We also had to pay rent. We were asked to leave a few times because we were behind in our rents. I stopped schooling so my younger sisters could go to school as we didn’t have free education. So thre is no excuse for stealing. I’ve heard people I know who complain how hard thing are but able to find the money to go on a holiday!!!!

Pets are a Luxury if you cannot feed your family you should not steal so you can feed your pet. I bet there will be those that say they steal to eat will still smoke, drink and of cour bet on the Melbourne Cup

View attachment 32550

View attachment 32566

Key Takeaways

Have you seen the trolly loads of "past expiry" products thrown away each and every day?????

I don't believe many people who steal food do it because they can't pay for it. If they were to ask, most people will provide food or provisions, also there are many places you can get free groceries and meals if they were to reach out. I believe the mindset is - they can afford it - therefore they feel entitled to steal because they have less.