Shoplifter reveals unique reason they steal only from big supermarkets

As Australia grapples with a punishing cost-of-living crisis, an increasing number of households have been feeling the pinch.

Grocery prices have certainly skyrocketed, with the average family now paying a whopping $1,924 more at the checkout than a year ago.

Inflation is rampant across all areas of the economy, putting massive pressure on already stretched budgets.

As more and more people struggle to make ends meet, this reality has led to increased shoplifting cases across the country.

One anonymous Aussie has revealed that they regularly steal up to $300 worth of items from major retailers like Coles, Woolworths and Kmart.

SDC 5.png
An anonymous Aussie confessed to shoplifting at retail giants like Coles, Woolworths, and Kmart, but never small businesses. Image source: Freepik.

Retail giants like Coles and Woolworths have introduced a raft of new security measures, including the use of artificial intelligence and high-tech cameras at self-serve checkouts, self-locking trolleys, and gates that don’t open if sensors deem an item has been stolen—much to the disappointment of many shoppers.

However, the effectiveness of these measures remains questionable.

'There’s cameras with footage directly of your face now, but it doesn’t deter me,' the anonymous shoplifter confessed.

They went on to explain their motivations, saying the struggle to find an affordable rental property and keeping their pet cat fed amidst rising costs were big factors.

'[Supermarkets] will still be swimming in profits whether I steal a can of $2 cat food or not,' the shopelifter said.

Coles reported a 20 per cent stock loss from shoplifting and food waste as they revealed a $1.1 billion profit in the latest financial year. On the other hand, Woolies estimated a quarter of stock loss due to theft when they revealed their $1.62 billion profit.

They also said that they would never target smaller businesses.

Even on the front lines dealing with shoplifters, retail workers have mixed feelings.

One Woolworths deli worker said they often turn a blind eye, assuming the person must be in dire straits.

The worker also shared that they would secretly mark down items for friends and customers after seeing large price jumps.

'If I have the power to do it, and it’s not that risky for me, then I'll happily do what I can to help out,' they confessed.

'It's not like I get paid extra if I stop shoplifting.'

But do all the pressures justify the act of stealing?

According to research by Monash Business School’s Australian Consumer and Retail Studies (ACRS) group, attitudes towards retail theft vary widely across generations. Those between 18 and 34 years of age are far more likely to justify shoplifting than those over 55.

Moreover, 28 per cent thought retail theft was either little, somewhat, very, or completely justifiable. Self-serve checkout theft skewed toward being more acceptable at 32 per cent.

See the results of the study below:

Justifiability of deviant consumer behaviours- Theft.jpg

The Australian Retail Association claimed that shoplifting has seen a 'steady increase' and has cost the industry an average of $9 billion annually.

There has also been an increase in organised crimes targeting high-price items and reselling them as service to people struggling to buy the items in-store.
Key Takeaways

• Extreme security measures from supermarket giants like Coles and Woolworths did not prevent one anonymous Aussie from shoplifting due to cost-of-living pressures.
  • The confessed shoplifter has cited difficulty securing affordable rent and feeding her pet as motivations for her theft.
  • A Woolworths deli worker has admitted to disregarding shoplifting and even secretly marking down items for friends and customers after seeing large price jumps.
  • Research from Monash Business School’s Australian Consumer and Retail Studies group found that over a quarter of respondents thought retail theft was at least somewhat justifiable.
Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Share them with us in the comments below!

Last edited:
Sponsored
I love the way they say that theft costs the industry millions, when in fact it costs paying customers millions. everything is paid for by honest customers not the business. I'm betting Coles and Woolies will have bigger profits next year and every year after.

I am involved with a charity that looks to the care of homeless people and those who are struggling to feed their family.
Every weekday we give people a hot breakfast and a hot lunch. It is in a cafe style environment and all are treated with dignity and respect. We have a grocery section where folk can come and fill a bag with groceries. These groceries come from the generosity of local business and people who care. There are a number of services offered that include clothes washing, doctor, solicitor, chiropractor and usual counselling.
I talk about this because we are not the only charity out there. There is help, if people seek to find it. Local welfare organisations will be aware of places that provide daily needs for people.
Any folk from all walks of life can fall into a state of need. It is not for us to evaluate their level of need. Whether they are out of work, suffering substance abuse, ailing with mental health issues...they are not judged...they are fed and cared for as best can be managed.
I do not agree with people who resort to stealing. This is because they may be caught. Then, where are they? The legal system could be their undoing.
There are a lot of caring organisations out there who are constantly trying to bridge the gap. Those who are genuine in their need, very often find the help that will make a difference to their day.

As Australia grapples with a punishing cost-of-living crisis, an increasing number of households have been feeling the pinch.

Grocery prices have certainly skyrocketed, with the average family now paying a whopping $1,924 more at the checkout than a year ago.

Inflation is rampant across all areas of the economy, putting massive pressure on already stretched budgets.

As more and more people struggle to make ends meet, this reality has led to increased shoplifting cases across the country.

One anonymous Aussie has revealed that they regularly steal up to $300 worth of items from major retailers like Coles, Woolworths and Kmart.

View attachment 32550
An anonymous Aussie confessed to shoplifting at retail giants like Coles, Woolworths, and Kmart, but never small businesses. Image source: Freepik.

Retail giants like Coles and Woolworths have introduced a raft of new security measures, including the use of artificial intelligence and high-tech cameras at self-serve checkouts, self-locking trolleys, and gates that don’t open if sensors deem an item has been stolen—much to the disappointment of many shoppers.

'There’s cameras with footage directly of your face now, but it doesn’t deter me,' the anonymous shoplifter confessed.

They went on to explain their motivations, saying the struggle to find an affordable rental property and keeping their pet cat fed amidst rising costs were big factors.

'[Supermarkets] will still be swimming in profits whether I steal a can of $2 cat food or not,' the shopelifter said.

Coles reported a 20 per cent stock loss from shoplifting and food waste as they revealed a $1.1 billion profit in the latest financial year. On the other hand, Woolies estimated a quarter of stock loss due to theft when they revealed their $1.62 billion profit.

Even on the front lines dealing with shoplifters, retail workers have mixed feelings.

One Woolworths deli worker said they often turn a blind eye, assuming the person must be in dire straits.

The worker also shared that they would secretly mark down items for friends and customers after seeing large price jumps.

'If I have the power to do it, and it’s not that risky for me, then I'll happily do what I can to help out,' they confessed.

According to research by Monash Business School’s Australian Consumer and Retail Studies (ACRS) group, attitudes towards retail theft vary widely across generations. Those between 18 and 34 years of age are far more likely to justify shoplifting than those over 55.

Moreover, 28 per cent thought retail theft was either little, somewhat, very, or completely justifiable. Self-serve checkout theft skewed toward being more acceptable at 32 per cent.

View attachment 32566

The Australian Retail Association claimed that shoplifting has seen a 'steady increase' and has cost the industry an average of $9 billion annually.

There has also been an increase in organised crimes targeting high-price items and reselling them as service to people struggling to buy the items in-store.
Key Takeaways

• Extreme security measures from supermarket giants like Coles and Woolworths did not prevent one anonymous Aussie from shoplifting due to cost-of-living pressures.
  • The confessed shoplifter has cited difficulty securing affordable rent and feeding her pet as motivations for her theft.
  • A Woolworths deli worker has admitted to disregarding shoplifting and even secretly marking down items for friends and customers after seeing large price jumps.
  • Research from Monash Business School’s Australian Consumer and Retail Studies group found that over a quarter of respondents thought retail theft was at least somewhat justifiable.
Members, what are your thoughts on this story? Share them with us in the comments below!
I don’t think it’s worth my good name to be caught shoplifting. I never use self serve checkouts as I think they are so dehumanising. I love the contact of real people.

Reactions: Linwar

View attachment 32550

View attachment 32566

Key Takeaways

How can small businesses compete with these thieves. There are no morals in families these days and it goes in generations of thieves from the same families. CCTV shows the number of "thugs" prowling around homes and trying to break into cars and houses, it's scary. I check all the locks before I go to bed these days.

It took a minute to pick my jaw up off the floor. Don’t they realise how stores have to allow for shoplifters, and who pays the extra, we honest people that’s who. People in dire straights need to be made aware of food bank who happily provide essentials and pet food those who need it.
What has happened to thou shall not steal? As a young married mum my children ate my pets ate , I had a tin of baked beans, cheap and nutritious and I didn’t have to steal it. What are you teaching your children? Morals are going out the window. So sad
Morals used to be taught in schools, homes and church, now they are not taught in any of these and thats when society falls down. Just check the behavior of our politicians in Parliament. from the top down there are no morals or ethics.