Shoplifter allegedly stabs IGA manager in an insane supermarket brawl

Content warning: This article contains graphic video footage and mentions physical assault and violence, such as stabbing. Reader discretion is advised.

Retail spaces are generally places of civility and commerce, but a recent event at an IGA in Riverstone, northwest Sydney, dramatically broke that norm.

The local community were shocked by the violent clash that unfolded over something as benign as a jar of Nutella.

This incident raised concerns about the safety of retail employees and the lengths to which theft can escalate into life-threatening situations.

Footage shared online showed the store manager, a 47-year-old man, rushing out of the supermarket to confront the alleged thieves. This happened after he was already suffering from multiple stab wounds to his chest and stomach as a result of an alleged clash over a stolen jar of Nutella.

The alleged culprits, 31-year-old Daniel Jaderi and his 21-year-old partner, Britney Burdon, can be seen hastily leaving the store, with Burdon pushing a trolley full of items.

The store manager, in a desperate attempt to retrieve the stolen goods, engaged in a struggle with Burdon over the trolley.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 9.30.14 AM.png
The CCTV footage showed the store manager forcing Burdon to let go of the shopping cart, which Burdon refused. Credit: 7News Australia / Youtube

Despite his visible injuries, he tried to wrestle control of the trolley from her. The situation escalates when more IGA staff members join the fray, trying to assist their boss.

The situation took a terrifying turn when Jaderi returned to the scene, allegedly wielding a 25-centimetre knife, in an attempt to intimidate the store employees.

The store manager, in a bid to protect himself and his staff, grabs a nearby chair, using it as a makeshift shield against Jaderi.

Meanwhile, Burdon, who was reportedly six months pregnant, continues to hold onto the trolley, refusing to let go.

In the ensuing chaos, another female IGA staffer allegedly received a punch to the face from Burdon.

A bystander can be seen recording the entire ordeal on his phone, providing a chilling testament to the violence that unfolded.

The incident finally came to an end with the arrival of emergency responders, who arrested both Jaderi and Burdon.

The store manager was rushed to Westmead Hospital, where he underwent surgery for his wounds.

He is now reported to be in a stable condition. The knife used in the attack was seized from the scene.

You can watch the video of the incident below:

Jaderi has been charged with wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, while Burdon faces charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm and larceny.

Both appeared in Blacktown Local Court on Monday, claiming self-defence. However, only Burdon was released on bail due to her pregnancy.

This shocking incident comes in the wake of the NSW state government implementing stricter penalties for those who assault retail workers.

For one, a Woolworths employee was ‘scared’ of going to work because he and his colleagues on the front line were subjected to verbal and physical abuse daily.

Another instance was when a disgruntled customer also resorted to hurling grocery items at the employee, forcing him to seek refuge behind a counter and call for security assistance. You can read more about these stories here.
Key Takeaways
  • CCTV footage has captured a brutal scuffle at an IGA in Riverstone, Sydney, after an alleged theft involving a jar of Nutella.
  • The IGA store manager, who suffered stab wounds, attempted to intercept the suspects, resulting in a violent altercation with a pregnant woman and another man.
  • The store manager was taken to hospital and underwent surgery, while the suspects, Daniel Jaderi and Britney Burdon, were arrested at the scene.
  • The suspects were charged and faced court, with Burdon released on bail due to her pregnancy, and the incident has occurred amidst new tougher penalties for assaults on retail workers in NSW.
Have you ever witnessed or experienced retail violence? Share your experiences and suggestions in the comments below.

Sponsored
What is Australia coming to !!!
Getting more like America every day with all the violence we hear about.
Seems to get worse every day.....it's all we see on the News every night!
About time these TV news items showed some positive news about what good people are doing....not about what criminals are doing !!
🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I see no reason for letting this feral thing out on bail, because she was pregnant.
Being pregnant didn't stop her from getting involved in a brawl so it certainly wouldn't have hurt her to sit in the clink for a while. Our courts are much too easy on these people.
Poor baby, what sort of a life is it going to have with these ferals.

Both those grubs should have been instantly locked up and the baby taken when it’s born. She obviously using pregnancy as an excuse for criminal activity and he went prepared for a fight, otherwise he wouldn’t have had a knife. Ten years minimum without parole. No ifs or buts.

I saw this incident on the news. I know the manager was stabbed, trying to stop a theft. That should not have happened, and the perpetrator should be dealt with. The woman was just as bad, no doubt.
My concern was when I saw the wounded manager trying to kick the woman. That baby could have been seriously injured and could have resulted in him being charged. All over a bottle of Nutella. I'm sure the couple where on security camera, and wonder if all that was really necessary.

I saw this incident on the news. I know the manager was stabbed, trying to stop a theft. That should not have happened, and the perpetrator should be dealt with. The woman was just as bad, no doubt.
My concern was when I saw the wounded manager trying to kick the woman. That baby could have been seriously injured and could have resulted in him being charged. All over a bottle of Nutella. I'm sure the couple where on security camera, and wonder if all that was really necessary.
I would suggest it would be better off NOT born!

WOW remind me not to buy Nutella from IGA, in WA you’re not allowed to tackle a shop thief as the police end up turning on you, bastards over here
When you think about it, that is not a bad idea at all.

I am aware of many children in wonderful foster care ,some from a week old. Lets hope and pray this child gets that chance. I tend to wonder who the Nutella was for. Perhaps there are more kiddies at home.
This incident may shed light on more than thievery.

And & News upgraded the robbery from a pair/couple to a "GROUP" . was this just increase their sensationalising of the incident to get more viewers.... I am glad these 2 were stopped and that the store manager and the other staffer are ok and I also hope that the a-hole with the knife gets more than a slap on the wrist, like attempted murder which it was in my view

Cultural enrichment they call it, brought to.you by governments infiltrated by WEF. Bet he wasn't screened before entry to Australia, trojan horse invaders. Refugees my ass.

Stupid - why would you risk your life over a jar of Nutella?