Shockingly High Grocery Prices Leave Single Mum-of-Three Astonished

Haven't we all been there, looking at the few bags sitting on the kitchen counter, asking ourselves where we went wrong?

And for some of us, more often than not, these moments are even more intense. Such is the case for mother-of-three Lisa Biscoff and countless others grappling with the rising prices throughout Australia.

Lisa, who, like many of us, is navigating life's challenges, reveals her struggle with the escalating cost of living, feeling suspended in the throes of towering grocery bills.

During a trip to Coles, Lisa’s cart was modest, with 13 items pivoting around everyday necessities.

compressed-grocer.jpeg
The increasing prices of groceries have been a growing concern for many consumers, impacting their household budgets and spending patterns. Image from flickr

However, when the bill landed on her palms, it came to a total she wasn’t expecting.

'It was $65. I can't deal with all the prices as a single mum with three kids,' she said in exasperation.

‘I only bought dinner for tonight and a couple of snacks for the next few days.'

Lisa bought some staples, including laundry detergent at $10, Tip Top bread for $4.40, and Salami for $7.40.

Other less crucial goods also found their way into her cart, with discount Oreos at $1.25 and a 20-pack of chips for $8.65.

Lisa noted, 'That's not a lot for your money, but everyone else is in the same boat.'

With her haul, she came to realise: 'The struggle is 100 per cent real; how are people surviving?'

But despite her sentiments, some people criticised her for complaining after purchasing expensive versions of various items.

One woman pointed out that affordable alternatives, such as a $2 bottle of laundry detergent, can serve the same purpose.

'$10 laundry detergent is for rich people. The $2 bottle does the same thing.'

compressed-photo-1553531889-56cc480ac5cb.jpeg
Factors such as inflation, supply chain disruptions, and rising production costs have contributed to the steady rise in grocery prices, leading individuals and families to search for cost-saving strategies and alternative options to manage their expenses. Image by Anna Shvets from pexels

Another said, 'People are whining about the cost of food, but they're still buying “ridiculous” name brand items; it costs heaps more.'

'Instead of Doritos, get corn kernels and pop them yourself. I add salt and vinegar chip powder, and they taste amazing.' offered a third.

Others shared some tips to save money.

A woman shared, 'I do the majority of my shopping at ALDI! I walked out with three bags full for $44 today.'

'I get my cleaning and personal products from The Reject Shop, it's so much cheaper than the supermarket. I also get my fruit and vegetables from a local grocer,' another said.

Key Takeaways
  • A single mum-of-three named Lisa Biscoff shared her struggle with the rising cost of living, especially the mounting grocery bills.
  • During a mid-week re-stock at Coles supermarket, the $65 price tag for two bags containing 13 items shocked Lisa.
  • Many criticised Lisa for buying brand-name items instead of cheaper alternatives, with some suggesting tips to cut down on costs.
  • Lisa expressed her worries over the situation, questioning, 'How are people surviving?'

To add more, here are our tips that might help trim that bill:
  1. Create a meal plan and shopping list: Plan your meals for the week and make a detailed shopping list based on those meal plans.
  2. Compare prices and shop strategically: Compare prices of the same products across different brands and stores. Take advantage of sales, discounts, and coupons to save money.
  3. Buy seasonal and local produce: Check out farmers' markets or local produce stands for affordable options.
  4. Avoid packaged and processed foods: Opt for whole foods, such as grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins, which are often cheaper and healthier.
  5. Cook and prepare meals at home: Eating out or ordering takeout can quickly add up. Cooking and preparing meals at home not only saves money but also allows you to have better control over ingredients and portion sizes.

The wall of rising prices might appear insurmountable. Still, we all can find ways around it, armed with experience, adaptability, and the collective wisdom of compassionate communities like the Seniors Discount Club.

Members, have you felt the impact of rising grocery prices? What strategies or tips do you use to manage your grocery budget effectively? Share your experiences and insights with us!

Sponsored
I wouldn't be spending $4.40 on bread if I was on a tight budget, nor would I be buying boxes of chips!
I was thinking the same thing. We buy multigrain Coles bread at @2.70. It used to be $2 a loaf and has creeped up to $2.70. In our house we buy a lot of cheap brands. I cut my own hair and Hubby's so that saves us heaps of $$$$ a year. We buy good toothpaste but wait till it's half price and buy 3-4 tubes. So many ways to save money. I often tell my Hubby that I could sit down with a family and save them so much money, but they wouldn't go along with it.

Haven't we all been there, looking at the few bags sitting on the kitchen counter, asking ourselves where we went wrong?

And for some of us, more often than not, these moments are even more intense. Such is the case for mother-of-three Lisa Biscoff and countless others grappling with the rising prices throughout Australia.

Lisa, who, like many of us, is navigating life's challenges, reveals her struggle with the escalating cost of living, feeling suspended in the throes of towering grocery bills.

During a trip to Coles, Lisa’s cart was modest, with 13 items pivoting around everyday necessities.

View attachment 25810
The increasing prices of groceries have been a growing concern for many consumers, impacting their household budgets and spending patterns. Image from flickr

However, when the bill landed on her palms, it came to a total she wasn’t expecting.

'It was $65. I can't deal with all the prices as a single mum with three kids,' she said in exasperation.

‘I only bought dinner for tonight and a couple of snacks for the next few days.'

Lisa bought some staples, including laundry detergent at $10, Tip Top bread for $4.40, and Salami for $7.40.

Other less crucial goods also found their way into her cart, with discount Oreos at $1.25 and a 20-pack of chips for $8.65.

Lisa noted, 'That's not a lot for your money, but everyone else is in the same boat.'

With her haul, she came to realise: 'The struggle is 100 per cent real; how are people surviving?'

But despite her sentiments, some people criticised her for complaining after purchasing expensive versions of various items.

One woman pointed out that affordable alternatives, such as a $2 bottle of laundry detergent, can serve the same purpose.

View attachment 25811
Factors such as inflation, supply chain disruptions, and rising production costs have contributed to the steady rise in grocery prices, leading individuals and families to search for cost-saving strategies and alternative options to manage their expenses. Image by Anna Shvets from pexels

Another said, 'People are whining about the cost of food, but they're still buying “ridiculous” name brand items; it costs heaps more.'

'Instead of Doritos, get corn kernels and pop them yourself. I add salt and vinegar chip powder, and they taste amazing.' offered a third.

A woman shared, 'I do the majority of my shopping at ALDI! I walked out with three bags full for $44 today.'

'I get my cleaning and personal products from The Reject Shop, it's so much cheaper than the supermarket. I also get my fruit and vegetables from a local grocer,' another said.

Key Takeaways

• A single mum-of-three named Lisa Biscoff shared her struggle with the rising cost of living, especially the mounting grocery bills.
  • During a mid-week re-stock at Coles supermarket, the $65 price tag for two bags containing 13 items shocked Lisa.
  • Many criticised Lisa for buying brand-name items instead of cheaper alternatives, with some suggesting tips to cut down on costs.
  • Lisa expressed her worries over the situation, questioning, 'How are people surviving?'

1. Create a meal plan and shopping list: Plan your meals for the week and make a detailed shopping list based on those meal plans.
  2. Compare prices and shop strategically: Compare prices of the same products across different brands and stores. Take advantage of sales, discounts, and coupons to save money.
  3. Buy seasonal and local produce: Check out farmers' markets or local produce stands for affordable options.
  4. Avoid packaged and processed foods: Opt for whole foods, such as grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins, which are often cheaper and healthier.
  5. Cook and prepare meals at home: Eating out or ordering takeout can quickly add up. Cooking and preparing meals at home not only saves money but also allows you to have better control over ingredients and portion sizes.

The wall of rising prices might appear insurmountable. Still, we all can find ways around it, armed with experience, adaptability, and the collective wisdom of compassionate communities like the Seniors Discount Club.

Members, have you felt the impact of rising grocery prices? What strategies or tips do you use to manage your grocery budget effectively? Share your experiences and insights with us!
I'd Luke to know where you can get laundry detergent for $2! Is it a one off sachet? No good for a family then !

Reactions: pammy.pj and AlanQ
It appeared to be convenience type of snack foods, instead of home cooking which is cheaper and more nutritious. She mustn't have had a list to go by, if she was alarmed at the total price. These days, we can check the specials and prices online, before we venture to the shops.

I'd Luke to know where you can get laundry detergent for $2! Is it a one off sachet? No good for a family then !
Aldi sells $2 laundry liquid. Not sure of the quality/washing outcome for that price though. She paid $10 on special for Radiant for colours. I think that's just a marketing gimmick too.

There’s bargain to be had everyday if you look around and plan better. We always buy what’s on sale and pick up clearance sales. Why buy individually packed chips if you can’t afford it? You want convenience, you’ll have to pay for it. And for the other items, can always get cheaper brands.
My most recent haul at my local fruit and vege shop, i bought almost 9 kilos of fruit and vege, a 1.7 kilo of boneless leg of lamb, 3 boxes of Mr Chen’s bao bun and a few other items for less than $50.

Reactions: Gsr
Aldi sells $2 laundry liquid. Not sure of the quality/washing outcome for that price though. She paid $10 on special for Radiant for colours. I think that's just a marketing gimmick too.
I have used the Aldi $2 laundry liquid, but find I need to add some additives like an in-wash and for rinsing white vinegar as a replacement for fabric softener. Much cheaper too. You do not need the expensive quality washing powders or liquids to get the clothes clean and fresh.

I have used the Aldi $2 laundry liquid, but find I need to add some additives like an in-wash and for rinsing white vinegar as a replacement for fabric softener. Much cheaper too. You do not need the expensive quality washing powders or liquids to get the clothes clean and fresh.
Sounds good! I feel envious of people buying products like that, as I get dermatitis from perfumes in laundry products. I buy Aldi's Trimat sensitive liquid, or else Omo's sensitive when it's half price.

View attachment 25810

View attachment 25811

Key Takeaways

She needs to read what the lady that has 16 children does, She spends $2 a meal for them each. The Salami is not necessary, nor are the chips, they are always way too expensive to buy separate packets on a box. Buy some popcorn Kernels & add your own flavouring. Also the Laundry detergent is way, way cheaper at Aldi. She needs to learn how to budget.

I’m sick of saying the same things on this site. Learn to cook, learn to budget, and maybe grow some food in pots if you have no garden. I grow peas and beans in hanging baskets, you only need a few large pots to grow salad vegetables. I suggest look on Pinterest for thrifty meals, and the section on depression era cookery is really interesting as are the world war 2 recipes. There’s no excuse these days for not learning how to cook good food. 1 RSPCA chicken will make 6 individual chicken and vegetable pies, the rest of the meat can be picked off the carcass and used in a pasta dish or salad and the bones can then be used to make a good stock which can be used to make a risotto or as the base for a hearty vegetable soup, all you need for that is 2-4 carrots, 2-3 sticks celery, 1 lg. onion, 1 leek, a couple of garlic cloves, and 2 zucchini all diced or sliced, sweated off in a little oil or butter, and add the strained chicken stock. Cook for about 20 minutes and voila a good nourishing bowl of soup. Other vegetables may be added and I use lentils, red, green or brown for more protein. Tomato paste too, is a good additio. Look in old cook books which are very cheap in op shops. There you’ll find many worth while recipes. i worked twelve hour nursing shifts and had two children, my husband was in the Army in the UK. and was often away for months at a time. We had no child care centres in the sixties and relatives lived far away. But every Saturday and Sunday we, my children and myself would cook, for the week ahead making cakes, slices, pies, tarts, quiche, soup and casseroles. We had very little money in those days. No car and a bus into the nearest town only ran every two hours and none on Sundays. We had no snack foods like crisps/chips unless we made them ourselives. We even made our own sweeties like honeycomb, toffee, fudge, coconut ice, peppermint creams. I can go on and on. It’s about portion size, shopping carefully and spending time with children teaching them how to cook which they loved. A good freezer is a blessing. This way enables the next generation to be able to sustain themselves when they leave home. It’s a parents job to prepare children for their life ahead. In teaching them to cook they have huge fun and become competent individuals. My girls made bread very often from the age of about 9 years, and by the time they were 12 years old they could cook a full meal for the family. No, they weren’t forced to do any of this but because it was made fun they loved it. Not I may add that if they’d been boys I wouldn’t have done the same. In fact my kitchen was always filled with both boys and girls who learned to cook with me as many of their parents never allowed them to cook at home. It costs so little to make bread, cakes or biscuits but the rewards are huge throughout life. Go back to basics and get them off tech toys and into the garden growing things and then into the kitchen to cook it. Make a pizza oven out of clay, a simple bbq from bricks and old oven shelves. So many think you can do. Stop whining and get proactive.

• Love
Reactions: Marj53 and SandyM
I’m sick of saying the same things on this site. Learn to cook, learn to budget, and maybe grow some food in pots if you have no garden. I grow peas and beans in hanging baskets, you only need a few large pots to grow salad vegetables. I suggest look on Pinterest for thrifty meals, and the section on depression era cookery is really interesting as are the world war 2 recipes. There’s no excuse these days for not learning how to cook good food. 1 RSPCA chicken will make 6 individual chicken and vegetable pies, the rest of the meat can be picked off the carcass and used in a pasta dish or salad and the bones can then be used to make a good stock which can be used to make a risotto or as the base for a hearty vegetable soup, all you need for that is 2-4 carrots, 2-3 sticks celery, 1 lg. onion, 1 leek, a couple of garlic cloves, and 2 zucchini all diced or sliced, sweated off in a little oil or butter, and add the strained chicken stock. Cook for about 20 minutes and voila a good nourishing bowl of soup. Other vegetables may be added and I use lentils, red, green or brown for more protein. Tomato paste too, is a good additio. Look in old cook books which are very cheap in op shops. There you’ll find many worth while recipes. i worked twelve hour nursing shifts and had two children, my husband was in the Army in the UK. and was often away for months at a time. We had no child care centres in the sixties and relatives lived far away. But every Saturday and Sunday we, my children and myself would cook, for the week ahead making cakes, slices, pies, tarts, quiche, soup and casseroles. We had very little money in those days. No car and a bus into the nearest town only ran every two hours and none on Sundays. We had no snack foods like crisps/chips unless we made them ourselives. We even made our own sweeties like honeycomb, toffee, fudge, coconut ice, peppermint creams. I can go on and on. It’s about portion size, shopping carefully and spending time with children teaching them how to cook which they loved. A good freezer is a blessing. This way enables the next generation to be able to sustain themselves when they leave home. It’s a parents job to prepare children for their life ahead. In teaching them to cook they have huge fun and become competent individuals. My girls made bread very often from the age of about 9 years, and by the time they were 12 years old they could cook a full meal for the family. No, they weren’t forced to do any of this but because it was made fun they loved it. Not I may add that if they’d been boys I wouldn’t have done the same. In fact my kitchen was always filled with both boys and girls who learned to cook with me as many of their parents never allowed them to cook at home. It costs so little to make bread, cakes or biscuits but the rewards are huge throughout life. Go back to basics and get them off tech toys and into the garden growing things and then into the kitchen to cook it. Make a pizza oven out of clay, a simple bbq from bricks and old oven shelves. So many think you can do. Stop whining and get proactive.
Your daughters would have been grateful when growing up, when their father was away. My husband's father was in the Army. However, his mother died when he was 10yrs old. It was hard back then.

Reactions: Marj53
I was thinking the same thing. We buy multigrain Coles bread at @2.70. It used to be $2 a loaf and has creeped up to $2.70. In our house we buy a lot of cheap brands. I cut my own hair and Hubby's so that saves us heaps of $$$$ a year. We buy good toothpaste but wait till it's half price and buy 3-4 tubes. So many ways to save money. I often tell my Hubby that I could sit down with a family and save them so much money, but they wouldn't go along with it.
how do you cut your own hair pray tell????

Reactions: pammy.pj
We all come to a point in our lives individually as what needs to change with our food bill.
This çame to me at a time when prices of food wasn't in the state as it is now.
I simply had to start spending more time in the kitchen cooking biscuits,muffins, sausage rolls with mixed vegetables , soups, stews for a family of five.
That was over 30 years ago.
I still do cooking most meals, freezing a lot even with prices of gas & electricity , reheating in microwave for one.
We should all help each other in what ideas there is out to make it easier. Not everyone knows how to budget. Mostly everyone was / is taught. I know myself I had to learn budgeting and it is something we all need a hand in when we show more ideas out there.
Who am I to add criticism to shoppers who spend more on a item than me. I know what item works for me but maybe not the same thing fòr another person.
If i could pass on some of my own wisdom aĺong the way in my journey of life or even better learn something new ( I have to write it down in my trusty book ) A smile on ones face is for free,even better for a light bulb moment that smile gets bigger.
Take care and stay safe.

View attachment 25810

View attachment 25811

Key Takeaways

Those 2 big supermarkets, making millions of dollars in profit each year, can afford to reduce the prices of their goods to help out families doing it tough , but you will never see that happen because of the ALMIGHTY dollar! GREED IS NOT GOOD!

You should not use fabric softener as it makes your clothes more flammable.

1690350564255.png