Shockingly Cruel Hoax Scams 'Vulnerable' Pensioner Out of $2500 - Here's How To Avoid It

There's no denying that nothing is quite as valuable as the special bond one can form with their pets.

Pets can truly be such an important and rewarding part of life.

However, we have sadly become aware of recent scams aimed at those who may be looking for their perfect furry companion.

This reality was felt by one pensioner, named Christine Jenkins, who was recently scammed out of $2500 by a ‘breeder’.

Jenkins was eager to adopt a pup so she searched the internet for dog breeders who could introduce her to an adorable furry friend. She was then acquainted with a pup named 'Milo' and she instantly fell in love.

Her eagerness to adopt Milo made her push through with the purchase, paying the $2500 adoption fee.

pexels-photo-257540.jpeg

Pensioner Christine Jenkins was hoping to adopt a puppy so she searched for breeders online. Credit: Pexels/Pixabay.

Little did she know that she was being taken advantage of by a scam.

After making the ‘upfront’ payment, the 'breeder’ then asked Jenkins for another payment of $1790 for a new pet crate.

As Jenkins rightfully recognised the red flags, she refused to pay any further money.

'I just said to him you're a scammer, you're not getting any more money out of me,' she recalled, sharing that she reported the incident to Puppy Scam Awareness Australia.

Fortunately for Jenkins, the organisation managed to find a puppy for her. She's now caring for a dog named Max.

This case is particularly concerning given the data provided by the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) shows losses from pet scams have increased more than 1000 per cent, going from just over $375,000 in 2019 to more than $4.2 million in 2021.

pexels-photo-7247409.jpeg

Jenkins managed to recognise the red flags, avoiding being scammed out of further money. Credit: Pexels/LeeLoo Thefirst.

It’s a shocking statistic that emphasises why it is important to stay vigilant when it comes to pet purchases.

There's good news in sight, however as more and more people are raising awareness of the scam, informing the public of suspicious pet ads.

Introducing Puppy Scam Awareness Australia

Puppy Scam Awareness Australia is an organisation dedicated to keeping hopeful pet owners safe and helping those who’ve been tricked by fraudulent ads.

The founder, Sandy Trujillo, was a previous victim of a pet scam and was inspired to create the organisation after finding a replacement dog for six people who’d lost their savings to the same scam.

'It's always been puppies until now - but the last few months a lot of scammers [are] impersonating rescue websites,' she said.

Sandy advises that you should double-check the ads and search for information that may have been copied from the internet.

She remarked: 'At the beginning, I was looking at their pictures, and just seeing if they've been replicated anywhere on the web, so I would do what's called a Google reverse image search from the photo.'

A key giveaway Sandy says is the photos and 'customer testimonials' included in the listing, which are often copied from legitimate sources, along with the use of certain phone numbers.

'Watch out for WhatsApp numbers starting 0480-0 or 0488-8,' Sandy recommended.

'I’ve found many scams use these numbers.'

Sandy advised entering the contact information for the dog, such as the phone number or email, into a search engine (such as Google) along with the word 'scam' to see whether anyone else has voiced concerns about the puppy.

The ACCC's Tips for Avoiding Pet Scams

The ACCC echoed Sandy's advice, encouraging potential pet owners to look up the exact wording of any dubious advertisements and any purported customer testimonials online.

The Commission also advises that you should always try to see the animal in person, or at the very least have a chat with the breeder over the phone and contact the animal's vet for confirmation.

They encourage people to speak to reputable breeders’ associations, vets or local pet shops if they're having doubts and cautions against trusting ads.

Finally, it advises people to steer clear of ads offering deals that are too good to be true and that it's often the scammers themselves who will soon turn the tables on the buyer by asking for more money - often to cover transport costs.

If you think you might have been the victim of a scam, the ACCC recommends you contact your bank or financial institution straight away. You should also make sure to report the incident to the platform hosting the scam, the ACCC's Scamwatch website and the federal government's ReportCyber platform.

Key Takeaways

• Christine Jenkins was scammed out of $2500 by a fake online dog breeder.
  • Data shows that pet scams have increased more than 1000 per cent, going from just over $375,000 in 2019 to more than $4.2 million in 2021.
  • Sandy Trujillo has created Puppy Scam Awareness Australia to protect hopeful pet owners.
  • People should be sceptical of ads with WhatsApp phone numbers starting 0480-0 or 0488-8, beware of deals that seem too good to be true and not pay for an animal without seeing it first.

So if you or a family member are in the market for a pet, make sure to do your research as prices and listings on marketplaces such as Gumtree can be too good to be true.

Stay safe out there, folks! Make sure to share this article with friends and family as well so they can be informed of this scam.

We're so happy that Christine was able to find a companion despite the stressful situation. What do you think of this story, members? Have you come across something similar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored
That's so sad! But why would you give money to someone you've only talked to on the phone, without asking to see the dog first? After all, the rescue dog (or cat) needs to see you first as well, before being able to bond! I'm glad she was able to finally rescue a dog who needed a home.

There's no denying that nothing is quite as valuable as the special bond one can form with their pets.

However, we have sadly become aware of recent scams aimed at those who may be looking for their perfect furry companion.

This reality was felt by one pensioner, named Christine Jenkins, who was recently scammed out of $2500 by a ‘breeder’.

Jenkins was eager to adopt a pup so she searched the internet for dog breeders who could introduce her to an adorable furry friend. She was then acquainted with a pup named 'Milo' and she instantly fell in love.

Her eagerness to adopt Milo made her push through with the purchase, paying the $2500 adoption fee.

pexels-photo-257540.jpeg

Pensioner Christine Jenkins was hoping to adopt a puppy so she searched for breeders online. Credit: Pexels/Pixabay.

After making the ‘upfront’ payment, the 'breeder’ then asked Jenkins for another payment of $1790 for a new pet crate.

As Jenkins rightfully recognised the red flags, she refused to pay any further money.

'I just said to him you're a scammer, you're not getting any more money out of me,' she recalled, sharing that she reported the incident to Puppy Scam Awareness Australia.

Fortunately for Jenkins, the organisation managed to find a puppy for her. She's now caring for a dog named Max.

This case is particularly concerning given the data provided by the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) shows losses from pet scams have increased more than 1000 per cent, going from just over $375,000 in 2019 to more than $4.2 million in 2021.

Jenkins managed to recognise the red flags, avoiding being scammed out of further money. Credit: Pexels/LeeLoo Thefirst.

It’s a shocking statistic that emphasises why it is important to stay vigilant when it comes to pet purchases.

There's good news in sight, however as more and more people are raising awareness of the scam, informing the public of suspicious pet ads.

Puppy Scam Awareness Australia is an organisation dedicated to keeping hopeful pet owners safe and helping those who’ve been tricked by fraudulent ads.

The founder, Sandy Trujillo, was a previous victim of a pet scam and was inspired to create the organisation after finding a replacement dog for six people who’d lost their savings to the same scam.

'It's always been puppies until now - but the last few months a lot of scammers [are] impersonating rescue websites,' she said.

Sandy advises that you should double-check the ads and search for information that may have been copied from the internet.

She remarked: 'At the beginning, I was looking at their pictures, and just seeing if they've been replicated anywhere on the web, so I would do what's called a Google reverse image search from the photo.'

A key giveaway Sandy says is the photos and 'customer testimonials' included in the listing, which are often copied from legitimate sources, along with the use of certain phone numbers.

Sandy advised entering the contact information for the dog, such as the phone number or email, into a search engine (such as Google) along with the word 'scam' to see whether anyone else has voiced concerns about the puppy.

The ACCC echoed Sandy's advice, encouraging potential pet owners to look up the exact wording of any dubious advertisements and any purported customer testimonials online.

The Commission also advises that you should always try to see the animal in person, or at the very least have a chat with the breeder over the phone and contact the animal's vet for confirmation.

They encourage people to speak to reputable breeders’ associations, vets or local pet shops if they're having doubts and cautions against trusting ads.

Finally, it advises people to steer clear of ads offering deals that are too good to be true and that it's often the scammers themselves who will soon turn the tables on the buyer by asking for more money - often to cover transport costs.

If you think you might have been the victim of a scam, the ACCC recommends you contact your bank or financial institution straight away. You should also make sure to report the incident to the platform hosting the scam, the ACCC's Scamwatch website and the federal government's ReportCyber platform.

Key Takeaways

• Data shows that pet scams have increased more than 1000 per cent, going from just over $375,000 in 2019 to more than $4.2 million in 2021.
  • Sandy Trujillo has created Puppy Scam Awareness Australia to protect hopeful pet owners.
  • People should be sceptical of ads with WhatsApp phone numbers starting 0480-0 or 0488-8, beware of deals that seem too good to be true and not pay for an animal without seeing it first.

So if you or a family member are in the market for a pet, make sure to do your research as prices and listings on marketplaces such as Gumtree can be too good to be true.

Stay safe out there, folks! Make sure to share this article with friends and family as well so they can be informed of this scam.

We're so happy that Christine was able to find a companion despite the stressful situation. What do you think of this story, members? Have you come across something similar?

There are also more and more" lost pets" recently, often cute puppies. I dont think people have become more negligent, but that these dogs are stolen and sold. Another reason to be careful where you get your dog from! And ALWAYS meet the pet and their carer before, at THEIR facility/home. Be careful, but dont let that keep you from saving a life! (A lot of animals end up being euthanised, asthere are not enough spots available at rescue orgs incl foster homes! And if you want a 4 legged friend but cant afford to buy one: foster one! That's how I got my last two dogs (foster failures😂)

I was scammed too, pre pandemic. Saw the puppies being advertised on-line. They wanted freight fees but I said we would collect, what was the address. They gave us an address, checked it out and it was a genuine address (interstate). They wanted $200 deposit as it would take us a couple of days to get there. Sounded fair but as soon as I paid it, my gut said something was wrong. I put the picture of the puppy into Google and immediately got several photos of the same pup on the same blanket, with the same toy, in the same loungeroom on different websites. I couldn't stop the payment going through but reported her on the government scam watch line. When I told her I knew it was a scam and I had reported her. She said "That's nice" with a laughing emoji and disappeared. Lesson learned.

a pensioner with 2500 extra cash? for that money I'll go live with her and let her take me for walkies daily
a pensioner with 2500 extra cash? for that money I'll go live with her and let her take me for walkies daily
Ha ha, me too, but these days 'Pensioners' are not all created equal. There are Government Pensioners (like me), who rely solely on a Government pension and then there are those who still claim a small pension and live the high life on their super. There is nothing to differentiate between the two. Using the word "pensioner" evokes pity when required, but believe me, there is a world of difference. Having said that though, anyone would be upset by this type of scam. I'm glad she got a dog in the end.

While I fully understand some people's need for a "new" furry friend, and that is their right, there are many deserving pets awaiting adoption at all the animal rescue and welfare sites around Australia - so - what I am saying is give a thought to adopting before buying a puppy which may, or may not, have been bred by a bone fide breede. (or a less than honourable puppy factory.)

I'm personally fed-up reading about people 'allowing themselves to be scammed' and they 'Do Not' investigate the site, the mobile message that they get. They just call the number and hand over the money. Then they scream Highway M*rder. Plus, someone has also pointed out above that many pets have been stolen and re-sold. If it's a stolen pet or stolen item, then it's your $$$financial loss and you are required by law to hand over that pet/item to the 'actual owners' and they do not owe you a cent. If anything, these people that support criminals should be made to make another payment to the Actual Owners. This may stop people just buying something. Items being sold online and I'll meet you somewhere. Gone are the days of The Trading Post where people placed ads and they gave the newspaper their name, address, home phone number and had to pay for that ad. They could be tracked down as many were by the police.

I'm also fed-up with puppy farms. One of my friends adopted a female dog from a breeding farm and she is badly crippled. She was forced to have that many litters that it ruined her for the rest of her life. I suggested for my friend to purchase her some wheels on 30.1.2023 and yesterday she just got her wheels and now her front paws can carry her little body. She also has to wear puppy nappies all the time as she can not control going to the toilet as well. Puppy farms need to be out-lawed in Australia. The costs of having animals de sexed & microchipping, vaccinations also needs to be controlled in that vets are under law only allowed to charge so much. The vets will not like it but they will actually get more pets in as it will be affordable. All vet costs needs to be regulated. Instead of hardly any pets coming through the door, they will have more.

Also, .... yes another 'also' .... the failures of Microchip register only being linked to the state the pet is done in should be a National Microchip Register and if a vet fails to register a pet on the register, then the vet is $Fined. One vet did that to me once and my pet went walkabout. If it's a National Register then pet thieves can not scan for the chip number which is easy to do and then register the pet in another state and sell-off in another state which these evil crims actually do. Or, change the ownership of the chip number to someone else.

pexels-photo-257540.jpeg

Key Takeaways

I have found most of my dogs over the past 50yrs at a Rescue center (Animal Welfare NSW) and have been very happy with my choice of dogs. Payment is reasonable considering most of the animals are wormed desexed and health checked. Please rescue an abandoned or surrendered dog it will be the best animal you have ever owned. Their main need is love and care, and a warm lounge to sit on with you.

Puppy farms need to be out-lawed in Australia. The costs of having animals de sexed & microchipping, vaccinations also needs to be controlled in that vets are under law only allowed to charge so much. The vets will not like it but they will actually get more pets in as it will be affordable. All vet costs needs to be regulated. Instead of hardly any pets coming through the door, they will have more.

Also, .... yes another 'also' .... the failures of Microchip register only being linked to the state the pet is done in should be a National Microchip Register and if a vet fails to register a pet on the register, then the vet is $Fined. One vet did that to me once and my pet went walkabout. If it's a National Register then pet thieves can not scan for the chip number which is easy to do and then register the pet in another state and sell-off in another state which these evil crims actually do. Or, change the ownership of the chip number to someone else.

Puppy farms are outlawed in Victoria (Thanks to Dan Andrews), puppies also cannot be sold unless they microchipped, microchip numbers must be included in for sale ads in Victoria. All pets purchased from pounds and rescue centres must be desexed and microchipped (the cost is included in the price). That is why people have to pay in the thousands for pure bred dogs bought privately now or they buy interstate where the rules are more relaxed.

Unscrupulous 'breeders' tugging at the heart strings of every animal lover. I would dearly love a Jack Russell to replace my fur baby but at $2,500+ per pop, it is rather rich.

I scoured Marketplace, Trading Post and anywhere else that was selling puppies 2yrs ago while looking to get a new furbaby after my previous furbaby passed away a couple of yrs before that at age 14 3/4yrs. Whenever I thought I had found the perfect one and was asked to do a bank transfer to secure the puppy I declined and moved on. I finally found the exact breed I was looking for that had a 'make a reasonable offer' so I offered a price which was excepted and I traveled an hr and a half to collect the puppy and paid cash. She came with Vet papers and the document to transfer her microchip information. She is now a beloved part of my family and adores my grandchildren and thinks everybody she meets should be her new best friend.
I did look into adoption but the rules and regulations that went with that were in some case just ridiculous. One place said they need to come out and inspect my home to make sure the lounge and my bed were a suitable place for the dog to sleep. Call me mean but I don't allow animals on my bed or lounge so that was not an option. I went with an 8wk old puppy so I could train her to obey my rules. She has 3 beds of her own as well as my lap and her own lounge but most of the time still prefers to sleep on the floor anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: Defiant540

pexels-photo-257540.jpeg

Key Takeaways

Now they are trying anything to tug at people's hearts